Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

That seems like an awful lot of "data" in aid of justifying buying an over priced GPU to me:pac:

Maybe were stuck with the new price points. For me it will mean just upgrading way less often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

Think about it this way: it will last you 2-3 years, and if you play 1 hour a day on average then it's less than 1 euro a day. If this is not good value for money then what is?!
    :)
    Also you're getting an engineering masterpiece that some could only dream about not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cordell wrote: »
    Think about it this way: it will last you 2-3 years, and if you play 1 hour a day on average then it's less than 1 euro a day. If this is not good value for money then what is?!
    Also you're getting an engineering masterpiece that some could only dream about not so long ago.

I will get a lot of time from whatever I buy alright. My 1080 has served me brilliantly and I dont regret what I paid for it.

Just galls me givin the lack of competition that Nvidia can get away with pretty much what they want. To me the 20 series was hiked with justification being RT.

We still have feck all games that use RT and by the time the market is saturated with games that have it will the 20 series performance be up to par for it?

People said then it was an early adopter tax but it looks to me it might be a trend,Nvidia could just keep pumping up prices givin lack of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

EoinHef wrote: »
    We still have feck all games that use RT and by the time the market is saturated with games that have it will the 20 series performance be up to par for it?
    The performance future depends on the next gen consoles, they will push the PC marked for a change - while I don't believe for a second that PS5 will be equivalent to a 2080ti it definitely be over the current mainstream PC GPU (which is what, the 1060?).
    And indeed it's a shame that so few games implemented support for either RT or DLSS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Also a very good thread here on why Turing actually wasn't as overpriced as everyone claims them to be:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/ih6gvd/analysis_of_nvidia_gpu_prices_over_time_or_why_is/

I'm not sure the data says what they claim it says though. You can see Turing is visibly above the best fit for the previous price/performance data. You can make a case for it being in line with Pascal by itself, but it doesn't have the same value jump as the previous steps from Kepler to Maxwell to Pascal.

mGNmjrj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

And indeed it's a shame that so few games implemented support for either RT or DLSS.

I think we're going to see RT coming into it's own in this generation. Furthermore I think it's something nVidia will do better than AMD and this is where PCs will lead the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Your making me feel like I'm getting great value out of my R9 380 I bought almost 5 years ago

More Videocardz "confirmations":
    https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-and-geforce-rtx-3080-specifications-leaked

Very strange disparsity between 3090 & 3080, if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-and-geforce-rtx-3080-specifications-leaked

I'd be 90% sure we will see a 3080ti (or super but I think this is more likely to be left as a refresh option) when the AMD's drop in November which would be make sense with the gap you mentioned. And also a big price gap there for it too.

It makes more sense if you think of the 3090 as the Titan tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What's strange about it? Nvidia will fill any gaps later with other cards like they usually do.

I still think the 3090 is the titan. Maybe renamed to try and pull more gamers and use a less confusing naming scheme. How many titans have we got now?

AMD's top end card rumored to have 16gb of memory so that's why Nvidia are offering 10gb and 20gb variants of the 3080.

Looks a bit heavy on the plastic shrouding.

The cooler underneath seems good but that shroud is definitely gonna hurt thermals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A couple of Gainward cards have surfaced as well (Videocardz).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

All we need know is how much these bad boys are and were away......:)

Hopefully there will be a decent supply and not waiting weeks or months for one.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    All we need know is how much these bad boys are and were away......:)

Hopefully there will be a decent supply and not waiting weeks or months for one.

Not that I'd believe him or his sources necessarily, but FWIW MLID says the 3090 will be scarce at launch. We should know prices come Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Random price guessing time!

3090: $1,399
    3080: $999
    3070: $699

Serephucus wrote: »
    Random price guessing time!

3090: $1,399
    3080: $999
    3070: $699

as per leaks anyway :pac:

Rumours of 10GB and 20GB variants for the 3080. So yeah, wouldn't be surprised to see the 3080 20GB at a grand or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I will be gettin which ever is closest to the RTX2080 price. If the 3070 performs at RTX280ti standard for even less I will be fookin over the moon!!!

• Advertisement

I'd say it's more likely the 3080 Ti/Super will have 12Gb VRAM than 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Do people reckon we'll see the 70 variant released alongside the 80/90 or further down the line? Seems to be a mixed bag in terms of the reports so far.

Been looking for a solid 1440p card but held off on getting a 5700XT in the hopes that the 3070 won't be ludicrously priced and the performance bump worth it.

Gonna go out on a limb and say the 3090 is going to be 3 grand at launch. Specs wise it's a titan replacement, so I can't see the price being much lower especially with a limited supply. It's gonna be the best GPU on the market. They will still sell.

3080 10gb version, 1000, 20gb version, 1200.

3070 8gb version, 600, 16gb version, 750.

This is Nvidia founders editions we're talking about. They won't be cheap.

Price drops a month or 2 down the line when AMD release their cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd been thinking along the line he's of a 3070 as an upgrade from my 2060. After a few months of chaos in work the boss has approved a bonus of €1500 so I'm strongly leaning towards a 3080 now and pairing with my R1700 on a B350 board for the moment.

I'd planned a full upgrade early next year but I'm getting the upgrade bug early now so a new GPU would tide me over :pac: then get a new CPU, NVME and motherboard in January/February.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Just gonna throw this prediction up here before the official numbers come out....

Based on the leaks, historical patterns, and numerology:

GA-102 (RTX 3090 & 3080) will have 5760 cuda cores on the "full" chip
    GA-104 (RTX 3070, maybe 3060) will have 3840 cuda cores on the "full" chip.

Actual core counts for the 3090/3080 are 5248 and 4352 according to the leaks, so that's 91% and 76% of the full chip respectively. There's no leaks for the 3070 yet, but generally the best gpu on that size chip is 100% functional. If that's the case, then the 3080 will only be 13% stronger than 3070 in terms of cuda cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Will prices in the 2000 series cards go down as a result of the newer 3000 series.

Not much experience in the GPU arena but looking to upgrade my 1080 as much a possible within a max budget of around €700.

The other requirement is it has to be white which I know is very limited.

0a1ed62c2282908efa93ae6f76811e15.jpg

Macker1 wrote: »
    Will prices in the 2000 series cards go down as a result of the newer 3000 series.

Not much experience in the GPU arena but looking to upgrade my 1080 as much a possible within a max budget of around €700.

Going by what happened to the 10 series cards. No the top end won't go down that much. People sell on the higher end previous generation cards based on what they were bought at not based on the performance of the new gen and people buy them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Nvidia has.discontinue a lot of 2000 GPU so people go out and buy the 3000 GPU last month it told sellers to increase prices so 3000 would not look so expensive
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/is-nvidia-already-discontinuing-the-rtx-2070-super

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/is-nvidia-already-discontinuing-the-rtx-2070-super

Advertisement