Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

like I said, I don't know her circumstances. I don't know her story and one line is not a story.

she is not doing anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If making a fraudulent asylum claim isn't illegal then Ireland is in a worse place than I thought it was.

if someone makes a fraudulent asylum claim, I'm sure they will not get.leave to remain.

Well they will, Emptyhead McEntee has seen to that.

The stats to prove they don't get to remain have already been provided.

Only a few hundred deported despite these cases being across the board.. it's too "arduous" to deport them as they say themselves.

They stay in the system so long they just give them the leave to remain in the end.

I already said in this thread I dealt with someone in DP who was refused and informed by letter to... Castlerea Prison. He had been in prison(likely the only reason he even was) and he was appealing it.

I saw him during lockdown(summer 2020) over two years later(dealing or buying drugs so an all round great addition) So even committing crimes in DP doesn't result in a refusal.

• Advertisement

It's difficult to understand the logic behind the argument that asylum seekers should not be allowed access to education.

Education is a fundamental human right for everyone yet some here seek to block access to it purely out of spite and hatred.

Asylum seekers should be housed offshore while their claims are being processed, same as Australia do.

the second island will probably be Next

"Australia will continue its divisive "offshore processing" policy on the remote island nation of Nauru.

"Australia's strong border protection policies… have not changed," Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews said on Wednesday.

"Anyone who attempts to enter Australia illegally by boat will be returned, or sent to Nauru," she added, without clarifying it is not illegal to seek asylum.

The 120 asylum seekers and refugees remaining in PNG will have the option to resettle there or to be moved to detention in Nauru."

Absolutely nothing in that story suggests that Australia will change it's policies, and fair play to them for protecting their borders. If only other countries were as strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Bubblypop is right though, as with the above woman who has decided to stay here for 7 years - it is the system that is wrong/broken/not enforced/shambolic.

The above not being deported isnt his fault, its the countries weak justice department and approach to enforcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It's not really an answer is it.

Your posts in this thread completely contradict what you are saying in another thread.

You want ireland to reduce C02 output in another thread.

Yet in this thread you want ireland to leave in as many people as possible which will increase C02 output.

So your lying in one of these threads but I am not sure which one your lying in.

Have you any kids and tried to get them into a school?

Kids are already on waiting lists to get into schools because of lack of capacity.

Where are thousands of Ukrainian kids going to attend school if we are already struggling?

Do Ukrainin kids in general have good enough English to attend school, maybe they speak English in Ukraine I don't know?

They should be allowed access to education but do we have the capacity to give them an education and have they good enough English to be able to attend school?

So you don't think we should reduce our carbon output?

I don't see how that reply is anyway helpful.

You are promoting increasing C02 output in this thread.

You are saying we should be reducing output in another.

Those are facts.

You are lying in one of the threads because you are completely contradicting yourself.

Why should anyone take you seriously on either thread?

Honestly, of all the anti-immigration stances I've seen so far, the carbon emissions one is the most hilarious.

No doubt all those touting this line are ardent environmentalists. Unlikely though

They shouldn't be allowed access to State funded education until they have proven themselves to be a legitimate Asylum seeker. Until that is proven, they're simply an economic migrant that has claimed Asylum as a way to avoid our restrictions on immigration, and possibly also, seeking the funding that comes with being an Asylum seeker. Any education, especially third level education, should be financed by the applicant, along with her living costs while studying.. the same as any other migrant who comes here to study. Why the need for Asylum? She doesn't sound any different from the thousands of Chinese students who come here, pay their fees, and study here for extended periods.. except, that she, somehow, deserves Asylum and support from the Irish state?

You seem to want to make it sound like people want to deny access to primary/secondary education.. except we're talking about third level education, including an advanced degree.. likely paid by the taxpayer. Not many Irish people get such a free ride to get an adult education.

The point is that after an extended period of time she has been unable to prove that she should be eligible for State support as an Asylum seeker. If the others claims are accurate, that's after 7 years of claims and appeals. Surely, even you can admit that if this was a legitimate case for Asylum, then she would have provided the necessary proof, and if not... then she shouldn't be occupying the space (and resources) that would be given to a legitimate Asylum seeker.

I must admit that I'm always a bit bemused by your posts. You seem to have more interest and support for those who scam the system (it doesn't matter how broken the system is, they're still taking advantage of it), than genuine people in need. Or are you going to continue in the belief that resources are infinite, and Ireland can provide for everyone?

As I said, I can't understand what is to gain in blocking access to education. But its a moot point, its a fundamental right and, legally speaking, blocking access won't happen despite the desires of some on this thread.

There would be a financial gain for one, education is not free.

Maybe.. but then, there's heaps of other reasons to object to mass immigration, and be critical of our immigration policies. The thread is littered with them, and very few have been countered even a little. Nice attempt to claim this is about being against immigration though.. most people acknowledge the value of having immigration of educated/skilled labour that is capable of completely supporting themselves.

Personally, I wouldn't be too bothered with the environmental aspect. I gather that's in relation to a position you made clear elsewhere. Nah. I'm more concerned with the economic downsides, the issues with lack of integration/assimilation that have caused so much social unrest in mainland Europe, and the elevation of minority groups above that of the native population. I don't like this drive for diversity, because it has no interest in unity. Instead, the focus is on reinforcing the differences between people.. and that leads to problems considering the tribal nature of humans.

• Advertisement

Access to education is a fundamental right, and nobody is blocking it. Getting supported/financed to do that education is not a fundamental right.. except for certain nations and their own citizens. You realise the University fees are higher for foreigners wanting to study here? Access is available should you meet the requirements and can pay the fees involved.

If a migrant or Asylum seeker wishes to support themselves entirely while studying here, I doubt anyone would object to it. Although, if they continue to fail in their Asylum claims, they should be treated the same as any other applicant for a visa to study here, and should they fail to meet the requirements, be deported.

Pretty simple... no matter how much you deflect from answering the points directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Because to give them safety and shelter, and an education. .? What about paying for an annual holiday to the canaries for them

Access to education is a fundamental right

Absolutely, good to see you acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Cordell

Dear Harvard, MIT and Oxford: given that access to education is a fundamental right I kindly demand you allow me to partake in any courses I see fit for my fundamental right to education. Also, in order to avoid any real or perceived violation of my fundamental right to education I demand that you supply me with accommodation and money for living expenses. Since this is a fundamental right I don't expect any reply from you, my requests are to be accepted by default.

DaCor, I also have a fundamental right to housing, please send me the keys and address, xx thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

what classrooms or lecture halls have the space to accommodate?

give them access to education, if space which there isn’t much of… but charge them.

not paying tax so not entitled to it free. But it’s ‘available’ if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Cordell

The right of access to education doesn't imply that the state (or anyone else) have to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RYEL

Article 42 of the constitution requires the state to provide for free primary education.

Why wouldn't I? I'm a lecturer, after all.

Now, perhaps you'd like to stop dodging and acknowledge the points made to you?

sure.. and international law requires access of both primary and secondary education, even for illegal migrants.

However... the case before us, relates to third level education, and the achievement of getting an advanced degree, a Masters. That's very much outside both the constitution and international law.

• Advertisement

They prefer to holiday back to their home country when they get the GNIB stamp 4.

Its laughable really that they aren't subject to reviews.

Be like applying for a social house, hiding a million offshore until you get the house, then redeposit the million and not losing the council house as it's not subject to any continuing eligibility reviews(or reviews of the original applications merit).

Advertisement