Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Cordell

Generally, this is not the case. Those people are mostly women and children, the men stayed behind to fight, the complete opposite of the usual asylum seekers we used to get which were mostly adult men coming in makeshift boats and back of the lorries. They don't want to be here, they don't want to leave their home, they don't consider this an opportunity.

It means if someone has lived or claimed asylum in another Dublin state, then they can be returned to that state and puts the responsibility on the first country.

There is no regulations that state an asylum seeker has to claim asylum in the first safe country they arrive to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You did not answer the question about how they arrive illegally in the first safe country is that acceptable but just repeat no regulation .

What question? Transit through a country is just that, transit. No requirement of anyone to claim asylum in the first country they come to.

Sure how unfair would that be on most EU states?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People are going mad that accommodation can be found so quick for the refugees and not our own.

This shows that the majority of the public haven’t heard about Roderic Gormans plan to house all asylum seekers within 3 months.

All hush hush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

The public are so stupid aren't they? It's amazing how many people on here are so much smarter than the general public. If only the public started reading tripe like gript. They'd be "awake" then right?

I wonder if people are reading things on weird alt right websites and take them as facts as this is the only place you see things like the above posited as facts. Unfortunately you will end up looking like you don't know what you're talking about when you take those things into the real world and present things as facts when they are not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hopefully the Tories will soon start dealing with asylum seekers landing in the UK by shipping them off to Rwanda for processing.

They better get something up and running soon as the public are furious at what has been happening in the channel.

Nah.. It'll be an easier option. Return to point of origin, which in most cases, is France. It reinforces the competition that France and the UK has had for centuries. They'll have France deal with them (which they should have), and France while they'll huff & puff, eventually, they'll do the same. Sending them back to Italy or whatever.. a passing of the parcel until they get on board with deportations using international carriers, to the safest country nearest the original country the seeker came from. Which would make much more sense and remind everyone of the original terms about Asylum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The only out from this nightmare is every country having greater controls on their borders…ULTIMATE control of and at their borders.

free movement of people with EU passports…sure.

but the assylum system as it is known has to end. We need the ability like hundreds of other countries on this planet to turn people away at our border.

there are too many people taking advantage of it and in turn taking advantage of EU citizens and their wellbeing, health and opportunities… this is only the beginning… what social, economic, logistical challenges await EU states and their citizens, ie. US as a result of this daily influx is unimaginable going forward… genuinely frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We have a limit on places in further education in Ireland. There is enough competition for these places already. If you are really concerned for Asylum Seekers getting third level education, lobby your favourite NGO (there are LOTS of them) to build an institution and run it on donations from people just like you.

You still dodge the question is the first country of entry not responsible for how the asylum seeker came there all be it illegally . Their entry would have been recorded if arrived on a flight or ferry . These migrants have been waved off to other EU countries eg Italy to France . So are you saying it’s legal to be a visa overstayer then claim asylum in another country!

Setting up a regular flight route to Rwanda and then building processing centers there, followed by flying back and forth continually, is surely a superb idea?

Sound good but the cost ,wokes would there protesting at airports and the asylum seekers would also be disruptive . Look at the problem deporting those on flights at present .

Segregation, hmm, that was done somewhere else before wasn't it?

Maybe we could employ a reputable security company to handle all issues and enforcement. It might be expensive but I'm sure taxpayers wouldn't mind their money going towards this Rwandan solution. The Rwandan government would surely agree to everything too. It's just a matter of putting any asylum seekers straight on planes to Rwanda where we would have Irish representatives sorting through applications and then putting them back on a flight from Rwanda to Dublin if their applications are successful.

haha.. the irony.. these posters are actually being critical because there is a higher value being placed on immigrants than on native people.. which is a form of segregation, because you're elevating one over the other, giving greater access or supports based on a characteristic that can't be replicated (in that Irish people can't become migrants/refugees/etc in Ireland)

Anyway, what he suggested is no different from the range of private schools/universities that are around. Claiming segregation is more than a bit much, but hardly a surprise.

You really don't think very hard before posting, do you? And no, I'm not really going to bother chasing you around trying to engage with you (as I did before), but as with MarkE, I'll point out the blatant stupidity of such contributions. Only fair considering what's gone before.

There will come a day, when the politicians will find a backbone, and tell the woke/NGOs to politely Foff. TBH I don't think we're that far away from it. The Ukrainian conflict, the refugees and the costs that will be incurred by this debacle, will provide enough momentum for actual political change (no, Not SF), and we might see some people in office who actually care about what happens after a gesture is made.

They already do. Look.. UN laws stipulate the rights of Asylum seekers, which is backed up by Irish laws, but we could just ignore the UN. It's been done plenty of times before by many countries with few actual problems. Something usually comes along to shift attention away. You don't hear much criticism towards Poland for being strict on its immigration policies anymore.. instead, they're being held up as a wonderful nation for their actions with Ukraine. So, if Ireland really wanted to limit those who enter our borders, we could. Just as we could renegotiate with Britain, who I'm pretty sure would welcome some stricter controls and monitoring of those who travel between our countries..

The asylum system as it is known... is ending. That's happening with the supposed ending of DP, because there will be aftershocks that affect the overall system. But then, the likely failure of what comes after, is going to do the same. Ultimately, we're quickly reaching the point where hard questions need to be asked about past actions, and what is viable for the future. So, Asylum is going to change regardless of what happens. Although, honestly, I suspect it will change for the worse.

People are taking advantage of our own policies. That's it really. Change those policies. But to do that, you will need a complete shakeup of our political system (to provide the political will), a exacting review of RTE with a focus on the biases and agendas being put forth, and lastly, deal with the public service, who have been employing woke idiots to run the departments involved in the overall system. Not so hard, really. haha. Nah. We're screwed. Changes to one or the other, but Ireland isn't likely to have a Christmas where all the presents are given at the same time.

• Advertisement

I think you are confused. How could a country be responsible for someone entering their country illegally?

And I'll say it again, there is no rule or law that states an asylum seeker has to claim asylum in the first country they get to.

Luckily we do control our own borders. We are not even in the schengen zone.

This is different to asylum seekers claiming asylum but entering a country illegally and being recorded at ports of entry. I repeat those who are visa overstayers or come on false passports or destroy the passport. The use of fingerprints for visas that are not destroyed after 48 hours exit stamps on passports . The use of thumb scans and cam photos on entry which are kept and shared .The first country would have the responsibility to share the entry details . This would prevent migrants from going to another country to make their asylum claim which is the case at present .This is very prevalent between the UK and Ireland .To simply say I claim asylum should not wipe out their past immigration abuse and render their claim fast tracked or void .Hope that is clear enough .

Post edited by rgossip30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hillwalkingjesuslovesme

Very pleased to have found this forum where people are talking about reality and not NGO speak. In a country where the children of Irish people find it difficult to access education in their area and where hospital waiting lists are longer than ever and prople who are saving for more than 10 years in order to get a mortgage to buy a home and still can’t afford it, simply because there are not enough houses, where they watch on while strangers to this country are housed for their lifetime. And now these anchor baby families can be seen to be doing very well with better cars than those Irish people just mentioned and like you say regular holidays back home including returning with their parents who are aged and infirm for extended holidays. I could go on, but I’m delighted to be able to say this to people who can think for themselves. This rant has been coming a long time. I weep for my country.

Are you suggesting that some countries allow people to enter their country without the correct documents? Which countries do this exactly?

You do know asylum seekers arrive with false passports and false applications to get visas . They cross the channel in increasing numbers with no documents. They cross the border from NI with no documents .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

So the bank holiday is when they run out of places to put people. The RTE news yesterday mentioned that they were considering giving 300 a month for holiday homes. Not sure that would be worth it for anyone. That’s an Airbnb rate for a weekend.

Garda vetting is not that fast either. I would like to know how much the hotels are costing and how long the hotels are willing to do it. The hotel in Kerry on the news is one example, not mention on the cost or duration. The local tourism industry must be dependent on guests staying in these places too. Eventually camps were brought up. That should have been planned from the start. Putting these refugees in competition with Irish people for housing is a recipe for disaster. So one person arrives first and they get placed in a castle then another arrives and they get a tent. Just shows the complete lack of planning.

I do know that yes.

would you suggest a hard border?

Just heard from another friend, they got their stamp 4 letter yesterday evening. So happy for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Advertisement