Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

I seen in the Sunday times yesterday yer one Ellie kisombe has been charged for assaulting a staff member of baleskin direct provision centre while she was a resident there.

Arrive in Ireland with a cock n bull story, assault staff while you're case is still in the pipeline and paddy will still let you stay! Then you can go on to lecture paddy on how racist he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Love to see it. Congrats and onwards and upwards into a nice position in a good paying job. Fantastic stuff to see people progress after putting in the time and effort. It's a shame to see people begrudge winners in life but that's always going to be the case. It usually comes from people who are jealous. Once again, great to see and good luck to her on the future, although I'm sure she doesn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Like you know the scammer I mentioned the other day who arrived with a false passport.

Well you won't have to worry about any of your friends being deported anyway because McEntee will never deport anyone, she will be remembered as the most incompetent Justice Minister in the history of the state.

Compare that will Michael McDowell who wasn't afraid of you lot to do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hud420

Hilarious. You go on her page and she’s moaning about the housing crisis, genuinely couldn’t write it

• Advertisement

Great to see her getting involved in social issues in her locality

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

Did she get a real degree, or is it one of those mickey mouse degrees to go with her mickey mouse asylum application?

Why would we be jealous? I suspect many of the regulars to the thread are professionals themselves, with stack of advanced degrees between them.

Perhaps that we would like to see the resources that were dedicated to this person, instead be allocated to an Irish person? Perhaps one of our own disadvantaged peoples should get priority for such resources, as there remains many Irish people who are limited to the bottom of our society, due to education, available places, and funding availability....

Nah. That couldn't be it.

TBH It always amazes me the way posters like yourself would place priority on foreigners over Irish people... and still consider it to be such a virtuous position to do so. Ahh yes, because Ireland is an Utopian society, where no Irish people are poor, lacking opportunities to develop themselves, and don't have to worry about their future. Someday you should sell tickets to go to your fantasy world.. I'm sure Irish people would love to see that Ireland, although judging by your posts, I suspect most would be refused as being "privileged".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭jmreire

No Mark, nothing like that. I answered another poster, and mentioned that I was a Catholic, And you replied that too much weight should not be put my opinion because I had religious beliefs. And in my reply to you, I asked did you not know anything about discrimination on the grounds of Sex, Color, or Religion? Remember now Mark? You did not answer that post though, did you ?

Quote :- Ah I do remember saying that but can't recall the context exactly. I think someone was using religion as some kind of argument for something, possibly against immigration. (Nope Mark, it was not. See my comment above.)

Ireland has a secular constitution and you can see the shift away from using religion to justify things. As we all know Savita Halappanaver was told in hospital that "Ireland is a Catholic country" when she wanted an abortion. One of the most shameful moments in our history. This was not the topic of the time I'm speaking about. Having said that, Catholic Country or not, abortion was against the law of the land at the time, regardless of what anyone said. The Attorney General was the person to address that situation to.

As for your questions yes I do feel that people following a man made religion devoutly are wrong and every country should be secular, (Except Mark, we believe it comes from God, not man, and that's the whole point of it. ) down to every policy that is introduced. (And that's exactly what's happening, and has been for many years now. ) Obviously many people get indoctrinated into religions as children but as adults I think they should have the right and yes, the ability, to think critically about it. (And they do., and have done for many years now this has been the case. This is not the Ireland of even 30 or 40 years ago, now freedom of choice is the norm and has been for a very long time. And yes, I was one of these born into a Catholic Family, like hundreds of thousands of Irish people, grew up in it, and am even more firm in my belief now than ever before, and that's after considering all the pros and cons of it. And something else Mark, I'm not the only one.

But things happen in peoples lives, losing loved ones for example, and religion is a good way to cope and I understand that. I do respect peoples right to do what they want to do and believe what they want to believe, as long as it's not infringing on other people. And where and how are peoples rights being infringed on nowadays Mark?

Anyway Mark, in your post to me, the subject of this conversation, you said that my opinion should not carry much weight, as I was a religious person. Are you still of the same opinion? Do you think that you , as an unbeliever / atheist etc your opinion ( and by definition any other Atheists etc) carry's more weight than mine as a Christian? Or any other religious person, Hindu , Muslim etc.?

Why would it amaze you.

It's hardly a coincidence that every person with the rainbow flag are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

You know the reply once you see that avatar.

Is it that the LGBTQ community feel "I'm a disadvantaged minority, therefore I must support the cause of every minority".

Must be embarrassing to be part of a group think... Are there ANY members of the LGBTQ community on the other side of the debate on here?.. genuine question.

The saddest thing about this POV is that the LGBTQ community are not a minority or unaccepted in our society anymore.

I remember seeing a march in town about DP to City Hall in 2020 and it was organised and pushed predominantly from the local LGBTQ community.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Do you believe that this woman got some kind of special treatment to allow her to get a degree above Irish people?

or did she just do the same thing that is available to any Irish person who wants to for the same degree?

why are you suggesting that Irish people should have got her place before her? Are you aware of her admission requirements?

Ukrainians are literally being shot in the streets. We need to do everything we can to help. These are unquestionably genuine refugees. Women and children mostly. They are our neighbours, we are part of the EU.

Some fair points about the % of intake needing to match the size of each European country. What is genuinely disturbing is that our fellow European neighbours France and Germany have supplied weapons/ships to Russia post 2014. Germany has also been hesitant with sanctions. This might explain the lesser intake there??

Some fair points also being made about the government's will to do something regarding accommodation when there has been a genuine emergency in Ireland for years now.

At least these people are not economic migrants, they are genuine war refugees. They are more likely to return home.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Nothing wrong with looking at different cultures and eating diverse foods . This however is separate to allowing large numbers of immigrants to a country.

I'm a member of the LGBQ community... being bisexual. There are a few others here who have contributed to the thread, who are also gay or bi. As for the LGBTQ community.. ahh.. um.. it's an embarrassment TBH. It's both hyper aggressive, and extremely politicised. There was a time when it did a lot of good by promoting the rights and interests of gay people, but as with the Unions, once relative equality was reached, the same activists needed something new to latch on to, and feel that wonderful outrage... often creating problems rather than making life better for their members.

It's little different from feminists, really. Once relative equality was reached, they needed to grasp desperately after the lesser issues, and cry foul over the age old stereotypes. The LGBTQ community does the same. It's one of the reasons that Pride has lost so much support from older more mainstream gays, and it's closer to a political movement these days. The inclusion of Trans into a movement aimed at sexuality, when most Trans aren't gay... yeah.

Not going to into a discussion about this because the T brings out the worst in people, and we'll have the rather aggressive/abusive boards pro-trans posters in to divert the thread.

The thing to remember about the LGBQ community is that there's a lot more people who simply stay silent, quite happy with where society has moved to, and aren't seeking anything new to be angry over. These people have also given up on the Pride or gay events because it attracts the wrong crowd, and cringe just a little bit at the focus on rainbow activities/presentations. Nobody really needs that shite in their lives. Alas, social media and the pushing of agendas seems to be rather addictive, so...

But.. let's leave this part here, because the LGBTQ issues tend to bring out the nastiest of posters, and this thread generally is quite friendly. Frustrating at times, but still friendly.

Ukrainians are literally being shot in the streets. We need to do everything we can to help. These are unquestionably genuine refugees. Women and children mostly. They are our neighbours, we are part of the EU.

Nobody has said that we shouldn't help... so...? Nor has anyone said that Ukrainians fleeing the conflict aren't refugees.. Could you point out the range of posts that suggested otherwise?

And yes, we are part of the EU, and... Ukraine is not? Was that intended to be a point of some kind?

ome fair points about the % of intake needing to match the size of each European country. What is genuinely disturbing is that our fellow European neighbours France and Germany have supplied weapons. Germany has also been hesitant with sanctions. This might explain the lesser intake there??

What's disturbing about supplying weapons? It allows NATO members to contribute to Ukraine without drawing NATO itself into the conflict, and so, avoid escalating the conflict with a nuclear power. Germany relies on Russian gas/oil, so hesitating about sanctions makes loads of sense. It's different for Ireland, because we don't have the energy or heating needs that they do, since we lack the heavy manufacturing base that they have.. you might want to consider what sanctions would do to their own economy... and when the economy does bad, who in Germany tends to gain influence?

Also, why would any of that explain the lesser intake? The reality is that Germany has been the poster child of multiculturalism and mass immigration for over two decades, has a sizable immigrant population, and extreme problems with integration or assimilation of those migrant groups. Educating migrants and refugees from other conflicts has shown a remarkable failure to get them to learn and use German, even though having spoken German is a requirement for most of their work visas. The point being that Germany is wary about letting in large numbers of migrants who might not leave, and... it's also worth remembering that Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union during WW2, and there is still some bad blood over how Soviet (including Ukrainians) behaved in Germany after the fall of the Third Reich. That also ties in with existing Nazi/Aryan/far right groups who would likely use Ukrainian refugees as a rallying cry to pound up further support for their viewpoints... something the Germany government tends to be very careful about.

You might want to dig a bit deeper to understand why Germany might be hesitant...

At least these people are not economic migrants, they are genuine war refugees. They are more likely to return home.

Why? Sure, I hear about Ukrainians loving their country, a country that is the poorest in all of Europe, including countries that are much smaller and have less resources. The Ukrainian political system is rather corrupt, and there is institutionalised corruption at many levels.. So.. why would Ukrainians return to that, when they can stay in Ireland or Germany, supported by our government in a fashion that surpasses what is available in their own homeland when they have a decent job. It might be worth considering the state of the country after all the shelling and fighting has ended. They'll be finding unexploded ordinance there for decades after the conflict.. so.. would you really be in a rush to return your kids to that? Or stay in a country with a top education system, a high standard of living, and fair work practices?

Well I still dispute the context of the original comment but the main question you're asking is do I think my opinion carries more weight over yours because I am not religious and you are.

It is off topic but I'll answer the question briefly and we can take it up in another thread if you want. No I don't think that. I would have to know a lot more in depth about how the person thinks and rationalises things and comes to conclusions. So it's not a blanket statement. We can talk about why you have an irrational belief, which no proof can be provided for, that you are sure is true without evidence in another thread if you'd like.

A black person getting an education in Ireland is an example of how the government is anti Irish and totally against Irish people don't you know.

Do you honestly expect anyone posting in this thread to change their minds after they see a post?

Of course being part of the EU is relevant Klaz, Refugees are supposed to take refuge 'next door', i.e the safest place nearby rather than go shopping around for the best benefits...

The bit about supplying weapons wasnt clear enough.....they supplied weapons to Russia after 2014. Including Naval ships from France. Crazy stuff. I`ve edited my post to clarify

Are you honestly suggesting we shouldnt take them in because they had corruption at home and they might stay here? Under what circumstances would you accept refugees then at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To most, hero's are people who put their lives at risk everyday to help others.

To one poster here their hero is a scammer.(few more would agree I say)

It's funny reading but people should surely see through it. They are either on wind up or have some serious issues themselves. Let them be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Except, in reality that doesn't happen much as we have refugees and Asylum seekers from all over the world here, even when there were countries just as safe along the way.

The US has been supplying nutjobs for decades. As have Russia and China. The making and selling of weaponry is big money to any economy. Don't see anything disturbing here. Just the way the world works.

Are you honestly suggesting we shouldnt take them in

Where in my post did I say or even suggest such a thing? Go on.. Quote the relevant part. You won't find it, because I didn't say it, unless you're trying to read between the lines, altering what was said, to find anything like that. You made a statement, a variety of statements, which I queried or sought to counter.. Don't forget the context that you set... which is why I quote each component part for my responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,750 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Fundamentally this woman shouldn't be here at this stage if she hasn't satisfied the entry/residency requirements.

If she's here that long to be getting a degree and getting involved in crusading then I'm guessing she hasn't.

So yes, she's gotten not only special treatment, but a place on the course that should have been allocated to a native or legal migrant.

Well, if she is going through appeals process,then she is legal.

The system is far from ideal and I think everyone would agree that it should be much much quicker, but the point is, if this lady is an asylum seeker, then she is legal in this country.

at least she is being productive with her time.

Tbh, I don't know anything about her, only what was on the link. She hasn't taken anyone else's place though, she applied, presumably the same as anyone else and got a place. I'm currently studying part time and there are two foreign nationals, that I know of, in my course, are they taking those places from natives?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,750 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You're deliberately ignoring the point. She's clearly had her appeal but our broken system is allowing her (and others) to keep appealing - presumably now until they are granted residency by McEntee's scheme.

She should have had her case heard and if denied, granted one appeal. If that failed as well (as I'm guessing it did if she's here that long), then why is she still here? Why was she not deported? What exactly has changed in her subsequent applications?

She got a degree? Became part of the advocacy group? Neither are things she should have had an opportunity to do purely because her initial appeal was presumably denied.

So again yes, she took a place and opportunity from someone because she shouldn't still be here in the first place

As for your course colleagues.. If they are here legally then no issue. If they're chancing their arm it's a very different story.

No, you are ignoring the point.

she is legally in this country as an asylum seeker. She is obviously doing whatever is legally available to her. She is not illegal, nor is she taking anyone else's place in the course she undertook.

You can disagree with the system, most people including myself do, asylum should be decided much much quicker. But this lady is not doing anything wrong or illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

She moved from Nigeria to Ireland seeking refuge because of "domestic abuse" and has been here for 6 years. What a load of absolute horseshit. She should be on the next plane home. Absolute spoofer. She is wasting resources that could be used on a person actually fleeing something.

i agree, these things should not be let drag on so long, they should be decided much quicker. I dont know her

circumstances, so I cannot comment on her story. She is not, however, doing anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ireland:

Whelan, who had previously been named in court as a member of an organised crime gang, had over 50 convictions, many of them for drug and gangland-related offences. 

Independent councillor Noeleen Reilly said she was “shocked but also not shocked” by news of the death of James Whelan “given the increase in violence in the Finglas area”. 

Speaking to The Journal, Reilly explained how it is “very easy” to get guns in the area and that the resulting violence is no surprise. 

She explained: “Guns seem to be readily available and it is no coincidence that there has been an increase in crime [at the same time as] a reduction in garda resources

Ireland's justice minister: Oh no! Anyway...let's see about those illegals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I've told you her circumstances. She is claiming asylum based on domestic abuse in Nigeria. She is a scammer. Making a false asylum claim should be a very serious offence.

https://www.pointsoflight.org/blog/after-overcoming-a-difficult-past-asylum-seeker-advocates-for-human-and-civil-rights-for-refugees/

Advertisement