Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

At what point ? I don’t know… I can’t put a number on that…

but my parents have worked all their lives to provide a nice level of comfort in their retirement after providing years of great service to the country and a good number of its citizens working for the state, having done no more than invested and saved responsibly… and their thanks… (bearing in mind both their age and pre-existing medical issues) in their retirement is… you are on your own, we are going to look after xxx,xxx people arriving as a priority , ahead of your wellbeing.

my Dad was talking to his GP two weeks ago and said how grateful he was at least they have a GP card, the doc replied.. “ for now, see in two years if that is the case “…

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Greens are big on reducing emissions, lowering carbon and sustainable local sourcing, until it comes to importing people.

Funny dat

Thats a coincidence actually, my Dad was talking to his doc a few weeks ago and said how it was handy to have a medical card, the doc replied.. “don't worry, you'll have that for life, as you are within the limits of the means test. Only those that fall outside the means test don't qualify". He then started talking about the standard assessment done as part of the means test and gave him loads of details on it. He showed him the info on the HSE site, how its been govt policy for years and so on.

They had a great auld chat about it

My feeling are not hurt I can assure you,

as for the topic being discussed if we can avoid the personal digs….the requirements have not changed but they are going gangbusters on those means tests now… it’s only recently the cards went goodbye.

i never blamed foreigners my friend. You are being somewhat disingenuous. Simply blaming a system that is now prioritising the wellbeing, health, safety and happiness as well as financial security of non taxpayers stepping into the country over Irish citizens.

A means test is a means test, it doesn't matter one jot how many foreigners are in the country, the means test is just that, a test of someone's means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jigglypuffz

• I agree.

• I was recently reading an entry found on the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, called Multiculturalism by Sarah Song. A quote within it is "Multiculturalism is part of a broader political movement for greater inclusion of marginalized groups". It goes beyond mere immigration and/or tolerance towards different groups.

• My jaw dropped in class a few years ago, when my child development lecturer suggested I steer away from cultural pluralism in the classroom, that Irish will "lose their identity" otherwise. When I was a child, I was so intrigued when the Russian teacher aid showed us her culture's tradition of Easter eggs. The eggs were beautiful, dyed using beetroots, red onion peels, and red cabbage. We put the eggs in a pantyhose along with a leaf, creating little leaf prints. I've always enjoyed trying diverse foods and hearing of folklore of other cultures. It's a shame the concept was discouraged by my lecturer in Ireland, as it was something I hoped to pass onto my future students.

You can try roll back on your posts but they are there for everyone to read and you are fooling nobody.

No, I’m blaming immigration, not immigrants… im blaming a system, laws, rules etc and the EU that is failing Irish citizens, if you see that as being racist ? I’d suggest you need to reacquaint yourself with what the term means.

racisim is a form of discrimination, by your logic anybody not admitted to the country or any country and given xyz is a victim of racism as they are being discriminated against….

that being the case, every single country in the world is racist as every single country has ‘some’ control of its borders and indeed assets… and discriminates as regards who they allow in, including countries that people are coming from. Belarus has strict visa requirements…

You don't believe in means tests for social welfare payments/medical cards?

Also, immigration rules and visa requirements are not discrimination, I think you need to check you understanding of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It's hardly rocket science now is it. In Ukraine or Zimbabwe, as they are poorer countries the people are likely to consume less, use public transport more, use less fast fashion as it is unaffordable, have a less diverse diet, I doubt there are many in Zimbabwe having avocado toast for brunch and so on and so forth. Less consumption equals less emissions. When they get to Ireland there is a lot more to consume, therefore their personal emission will increase with that consumption. Now 1 person may not make much of a change, but 17k, or 200k, imported will raise emissions massively.

• Advertisement

If someone has millions in "savings" you can be damn sure they've paid a heap of tax on the wage earned to garner those savings. So yet, they should be entitled to it.

I have no idea if it's like rocket science, like I said I don't know much about climate change, nor rocket science either. That's why I was asking questions.

So millionaires should be entitled to medical cards? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I'd be happy to see us be able to implement a system that allows Irish people that reach retirement age receive medical cards regardless once they have been a citizen for 40 years+ or something like that. Obviously that would mean other altruistic projects being scaled back / cut but it would provide some security for those that have paid into the system their whole lives and the least a society can do is care for its elderly imo

Citizens over 70, who have paid into the system all their lives, should be eligible for medical cards, yes. As I said, if they were able to save millions, they must have been paying some amount of tax on the money they earned.

You don't believe those that have paid their way should be able to benefit from the system they paid into in old age??

I believe we should all get a greater benefit from the taxes we pay. I would be a strong believer in universal healthcare systems, where everyone in society pays a certain amount and gets good healthcare in return.

As it is, social supports are there for people who cannot afford to look after themselves. As such, I don't believe millionaires should have medical cards, ahead of people who cannot pay for their healthcare.

In a perfect world, without our two tier system, I would be very happy to see our elderly being given medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

You seem to assume that I'm or I must be concerned or insecure about my right to be here and as such I need to side with you guys because you are the good and now I'm with the bad. Because I'm stupid and I don't know what it's good for me. As I said, with every post the mask slip a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

You're entitled to have your views but I don't understand why you take issue when I point out the hypocrisy of being an immigrant while not supporting mass immigration - something you are contributing to by being here, and also siding with people on the issue of immigration who would dump you out of the country if they had a chance. You take issue with me pointing these things out which is merely just me pointing out facts isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't understand why you take issue when I point out the hypocrisy of being an immigrant while not supporting mass immigration

Clearly you don't. Until you shed your racist views like "I know better what an immigrant like you needs" and "you must support mass immigration because you're an immigrant yourself" there is no point is us talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

If you don't support mass immigration thats fair enough. You're entitled to those views - as I keep saying. But since you think that's happening here and you are complaining about it, then why contribute to something you disagree with?

• Advertisement

Ahh well, Mark says that he has me on ignore (reference to a post above), although I suspect that's more so that he can make allegations (like his claim that I was dehumanising people with my remark) without having to defend it. I've been warned repeatedly by the mods not to discuss other posters so I'll leave it at that. I'll continue to respond to his idiotic remarks though.

As for the views stated, I've noticed that the people who support these causes (a general remark), have no issue with their own double standards. Its the mark of the modern left to embrace causes and groups of people, while completely ignoring any possible negatives associated with their causes or groups of people. They're more than happy to apply impossible standards to one group, usually the native population, while elevating another to sainthood, and so, immune from criticism.

These people like short-term causes... today it's Ukrainian refugees, and tomorrow it will be another group.. and they'll have no issue bashing Ukrainians later if it serves their views. It's the issue with double standards being tolerated, even actively encouraged, so much in western society.

Nope, I've never connected you with religion in any of my posts... Why would you claim that I had said that? Such a bizarre suggestion.

And you supposedly have me on ignore because you consistently refuse to defend your statements. I say supposedly, because you have an awful habit of commenting on what I've written without actually quoting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It's not really - People moving here increases the amount of emissions this country produces. The best in class when it comes to emissions is Greenland. Very small population there and not a magnet for immigration. The data doesn't lie.

Um, public opinion is swinging as more people realise the costs involved and that the Irish economy isn't as sturdy as they thought. Throughout Europe, governments have been forced to make a U-turn on their pro-immigration/pro-multiculturalism stances, due to rising dissatisfaction by their electorates.

The polls regarding the taking in of Ukrainian refugees reflect these changes. But you're correct in that the people criticising immigration policies in this thread are not in the majority... but that's not difficult to understand considering the investment committed to promoting the value of a more diverse society, and the almost complete blanketing of anything negative that might be associated with immigrants by RTE. The general population has been under the thumb of state sponsored censorship for decades, and now, people are starting to realise there's something that smells rather nasty with the overall situation.

Oh, and Mark. The pro-immigration crowd weren't and aren't in the majority either. Most people just didn't care as long as it didn't impact on their lives.. but now, the situation is starting to impact on their lives, and people are beginning to care. So.. perhaps you should get off your high horse.

As for Helen, she's a media whore. She made claims about the dangers of men in Ireland with regards to violence, to stoke the fires of outrage, in spite of the evidence against such claims. And at the same time, she's encouraging the legalising of illegal immigrants, most of whom come from countries with long-histories of domestic violence, and general acceptance of violence committed against women. Yeah.. that makes sense, doesn't it?

There's also the aspect of education, and awareness. Irish people have been conditioned for decades regarding the environment, and how to deal with waste. Sure, many people ignore it, but I'd say the majority put some effort into limiting pollution, and reducing waste..

However, peoples coming from 2nd/3rd world nations are less likely to have the same concerns towards a low carbon footprint, or the limiting of pollution in the local area, because they're far more concerned with improving their living standards, and that directly translates into consuming more. It also adds more people (yup, many Irish do it too) to Ireland who are likely comfortable with burning their rubbish than paying the fees for recycling.

I think people need to travel just a wee bit more to see how other countries are with regards to localised pollution and waste disposal.. Never mind the government policies, but what people do in their neighbourhoods. This isn't a judgment against all migrants, but it connects to the argument over a higher population, immigration and the environment. Hell, if we wanted a higher population but help the environment shouldn't we be seeking immigrants from Scandinavian countries or Germany? There are reasons that first world nations are so concerned with the environment, and the remainder of the world, is far less so... reasons that don't magically disappear because someone moves from China or Brazil to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

How do you know some of the 250? Are you on the gravy train?

I know them as I lived in the same town and got to know them over the years.

Onwards and upwards for this asylum seeker, fair play to her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Advertisement

she has been here long enough to get an MA at our expense. just show her asylum application has not passed scrutiny for a long time. Deport

Advertisement