Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

Great DF Retro this week of one of my fav games ever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm playing the Resi one remake on the PS4. It's brutally hard in relation to the original. The zombies are much faster and randomly take a shedload of bullets to put down. I got killed by a fupping dog the other day and hadn't saved in an hour. It looks great considering how old it is.

Resi 2 was my favourite game for a long time. The alternative ending was amazing on the second playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

SIGIL™ is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOM® created by John Romero. It contains nine single-player and nine deathmatch levels. The free megawad will be released in mid- February 2019 and requires players own the original 1993 registered version of DOOM® in order to play. SIGIL™ is the spiritual successor to the fourth episode of DOOM®, and picks up where the original left off.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kinda gaming related, the poster for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie has been released...

0ubxsw2gag321.jpg

Is this a horror movie? Because that thing terrifies me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can hear the furries fapping from here.

Fap to this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

J. Marston wrote: »
    Kinda gaming related, the poster for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie has been released...

0ubxsw2gag321.jpg

Is this a horror movie? Because that thing terrifies me.

no-matter-how-fast-i-run-i-cannot-run-away-26688841.png

Fap to this

...alright so

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I am having a great time with Sunset Overdrive. It tries to make you hate it for the first 3 hours with its cringe inducing attempts to be edgy but then when you get your full moveset and the game opens up it actually becomes well written and hilarious, I played as the female after someone said the male actor was unbearable and tbh she's my favourite female character since female Shepard in ME, I could listen to her voice all day. If you ignore all the fetch quest side missions and just play the mains its an absolute blast, the missions are so well crafted and they dont mess around either, if it tells you to chase someone across the city its a proper challenging chase for example not some dumbed down hand holding exercise like GTA IV and V. One of the best things Ive played this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Finished the first story on Frostpunk. Took me 4 days to do it right. It is a really great game! Highly recommend, it's somewhat hardcore if you lose you don't get a second chance you have restart or reload the save.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KyCoo

As a student, I'm used to playing word games online. That's how I learn. Like I found this game Stellar Speller.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So i thought id try Insurgency Sandstorm over the weekend while its open beta was going on.
    I really enjoy realism shooters when done right but i also enjoy titles like Battlefield,Titanfall, Planetside2 and even this years COD was fun for a while.

Initially after about 4 hours with sandstorm it felt like a prettier and better sounding Insurgency but as i invested more time with it i got to see and understand that it is so much more than that.

I could ramble on about it for hours but in short its just so rewarding to play while at times being almost terrifyingly real, sound is on a completely different level to anything else and to think its a small dev team with much more limited resources than the big guns is all the more impressive.

It does have one big issue that i personally have not experienced thanks to my new high spec PC and that being performance issues on not so high spec machines, a lot of moaning over on steam and their official forums.
    Not ideal but running on low settings does bring performance back on par from what i hear.

At €23.99 for preorder and official release tomorrow the 12th its a great time to grab such an immersive experience.

Gameplay Overview trailer [sums the game up very well]

That looks incredible tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Me too tbh. I love the idea of realistic tactical shooters but am afraid of being completely rubbish at them. Might just give it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a quick blast of Katamari on PC last night. It's still some of the most fun you can have with a videogame, hope the sequel gets a port. One annoyance is the game boots into a 720p window and you can't change it until you beat the tutorial and first tutorial mission. You'd think even the smallest amount of game testing would have flagged this.

It's a pretty bare bones port, right down to having to manually save before you quit but at least the game runs like a dream and there's no performance issues.

I see Journey has made it to PC as well on the Epic store, for now at least. That's another previously console exclusive that PC owners need to check out. Went in expecting to hate it and had pretty much one of the best gaming experiences I had of the PSWii60 era.

Me too tbh. I love the idea of realistic tactical shooters but am afraid of being completely rubbish at them. Might just give it a go.

Everyone is rubbish at it in the beginning but in time you will be fine.
    There is a great coop mode for both offline single player and online with friends which is a fantastic way to learn, i highly recommend it to ease you in.
    It is such a rewarding game to play, the devs are great and really value their community.

Little touches like the commander cannot call in fire support unless he has someone playing the observer class which is the guy carrying the radio to actually call at the area the commander picked with his binoculars, sounds overly confusing but really works great.

If you preorder you have access to the ongoing closed beta so if you want to play today you can.

There is a thread over on the general gaming forum for this :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057885099

@Ropedrink or anyone looking to avail of preorder offer, its for the next 29 hours , must of looked like 30 mins when was 30 hours when you were looking earlier :) just a fyi .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Had a quick blast of Katamari on PC last night. It's still some of the most fun you can have with a videogame, hope the sequel gets a port. One annoyance is the game boots into a 720p window and you can't change it until you beat the tutorial and first tutorial mission. You'd think even the smallest amount of game testing would have flagged this.

It's a pretty bare bones port, right down to having to manually save before you quit but at least the game runs like a dream and there's no performance issues.

I see Journey has made it to PC as well on the Epic store, for now at least. That's another previously console exclusive that PC owners need to check out. Went in expecting to hate it and had pretty much one of the best gaming experiences I had of the PSWii60 era.
    You can be damn sure it was flagged by QA and more than likely ignored as a low priority issue in order to get it out the door by the release date. It'll be interesting to see do they fix it post-launch.

As for Journey, aye I mentioned it in the Game Awards thread and no one picked up on it. Madness really as, like you, I'd definitely rank it as one of my favourite experiences of the last gen of consoles, so glad non-console players will finally get the chance to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While the window issue with Katamari is annoying, I’m actually really glad it’s a ‘bare bones’ remaster otherwise. I think a lot of HD updates can actually lose or damage the original aesthetic, but the Katamari one ups the resolution without losing its very particular identity - even the original assets seem relatively intact. Some games need a more thorough going over, but this one doesn’t - the blocky, PS2 style look is still perfect.

While the window issue with Katamari is annoying, I’m actually really glad it’s a ‘bare bones’ remaster otherwise. I think a lot of HD updates can actually lose or damage the original aesthetic, but the Katamari one ups the resolution without losing its very particular identity - even the original assets seem relatively intact. Some games need a more thorough going over, but this one doesn’t - the blocky, PS2 style look is still perfect.

The window issue is all I have. It runs really well. And it still looks gorgeous with AA and Ambient occlusion just sharpening everything up and adding a bit more depth without spoiling the look of the game. It's a bargain at 20 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Was searching through Metacritic and found a game called Dusk.
    Looks like its paying homage to the Quake series :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

^^^
    Wasn't that the sequel to Dawn?

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c0fe27e6f4b74567721d8ec

Insurgency looks really good, has a look of cod 4. Might jump on that myself could be what is missing from current FPS games. Worried that it might not catch on though and become too competitive for the average player. How populated are the servers?

Insurgency looks really good, has a look of cod 4. Might jump on that myself could be what is missing from current FPS games. Worried that it might not catch on though and become too competitive for the average player. How populated are the servers?

Never had an issue with the first game in the series finding populated servers, its still going strong 4 years on.
    You will never have issues finding games if thats your concern, very decent and passionate community.
    Its nothing like any version of COD though, just be warned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

48277579_1998901440190284_6157666390045097984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ef42d1c60f74a3102574c1f2ff8c5d54&oe=5CACB7EF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Achieved the Platinum trophy for Call of Duty 4: Remastered last night. The campaign is hands-down the best CoD campaign to date. Loved it.

I think it's the only game I have played across two generations (360 and PS4) and achieved 100% both times :cool::pac:

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Achieved the Platinum trophy for Call of Duty 4: Remastered last night. The campaign is hands-down the best CoD campaign to date. Loved it.

I think it's the only game I have played across two generations (360 and PS4) and achieved 100% both times :cool::pac:

Great campaign. Went downhill from there though hard to top really. The AC-130 mission probably the best mission in any game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Street Fighter V in-game ads are farcically obnoxious. I’d honestly think this was too much if done as part of an actual parody: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-13-street-fighter-5s-in-game-ads-ruin-the-series-famous-character-design

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Street Fighter V in-game ads are farcically obnoxious. I’d honestly think this was too much if done as part of an actual parody: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-13-street-fighter-5s-in-game-ads-ruin-the-series-famous-character-design
    Among the myriad of issues with this, I have to ask, why do they feel the need to advertise the Pro Tour so obnoxiously in the very game the tour is based around?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Well the Pro Tour Final is on at the weekend. Probably trying to bring it to the attention of casual players. When the Pro Tour is over they might switch in other advertisements. Also they are advertising their DLC costume packs as well.

The stage advertisements aren't bad but the character advertisements are as already mentioned totally obnoxious.

You do get rewarded in game currency for enabling them but its so small I can't imagine many will leave it enabled.

The main thing is the advertisements can be switched off, which means its all a mountain out of a mole hill. Then again common sense and reason never stopped the angry herd following masses that frequently call themselves gamers from spewing their unholy outrage onto the internet.

Advertisement