Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People don't like grand sweeping changes even if said changes are beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I think the issue was with people who saw the restrictions in what they were offering rather than the benefits. You couldn't keep your console offline. You couldn't leave the Kinect unplugged (or indeed buy the console without the Kinect). You couldn't easily swap or trade games.

MS were aiming at a lot of beneficial changes, I don't think anyone would disagree. But their implementation of them, explanation of them, and backtracking on them (after explicitly saying they couldn't backtrack on them iirc) just created a solid gold sh*tshow that eclipsed the beneficial changes.

Grand sweeping changes are usually fine so long as it doesn't also come with huge restrictions. I think MS have gotten a lot better on that front. Sony haven't. They capitalised on the reaction to the XB1 regardless of what their own plans were, but either way they'll need to take a leaf out of MS's book when it comes to the next gen. Backwards compatibility and beefing up PSNow to be a rival to Gamepass are absolute necessities at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Remember when they were proposing a 10 user system for families and friends so that games could be loaded out? they were shouted down on the viability of that, yet here we are, a few years later and gamesharing is one of the best features on xb1.

The messaging was atrocious, interviewers were getting different answers from every rep they spoke to , and that Don Mattrick is a charisma black hole. All in all though, I think the number one thing that topedoed them was the 100 euro price difference. the fact that the PS4 was more powerful for less money, was an incredible double whammy, If they'd both been the same price, the xb1 would likely have done a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The messaging was atrocious, interviewers were getting different answers from every rep they spoke to , and that Don Mattrick is a charisma black hole. All in all though, I think the number one thing that topedoed them was the 100 euro price difference. the fact that the PS4 was more powerful for less money, was an incredible double whammy, If they'd both been the same price, the xb1 would likely have done a lot better.

This was the main downfall for certain, in my eyes!
    The rest of it was just kids with Twitter accounts spouting shíte at each other :D

Silent Hills PT has been fully remade in the Unreal engine for anyone who wanted to play through it after Konami pulled it.
    Haven't played it myself as I dont scare well but it seems to be well made.
    https://radiusgordello.itch.io/unreal-pt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

PT is still the only game that has literally made a controller jump of out of my hands with a scare.

That game scared the holy bejesus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

My main issue with consoles becoming digital only is that each marketplace would become a monopoly. On PC there is many marketplaces where games can be bought, but in their current state the consoles only have the one store. I prefer to purchase digital copies of games but unless you're buying a new release it's rare that you save money on a PSN purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I like to play Grand Theft Auto IV and V for a little bit every now and then. I would like it if GTA VI (whenever it will be released) would go back to a single protagonist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I would like it if GTA VI (whenever it will be released) would go back to a single protagonist.

Really I loved the 3 different characters of V. Each was good in their own way and very different. I honestly thought there was multiple characters in RDR2 when I seen the first trailer and a whole gang of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I too would prefer a single protagonist. Actually, I just want them to re-make Vice City. It's the only GTA where I really felt like I achieved something by the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I liked the 3-protagonist approach of GTAV. I thought it worked really well thematically, the characters were varied and anchored in different backgrounds in the city, and it worked well in terms of gameplay and switching so you could experience different parts of the mission.

But it would be hard to replicate that again, and would be a rehash. I would hope they go back to one protagonist and focus on one really well done story (a story more akin to RDR2 rather than overly-comical satire, but still befitting the general GTA tone) or do something new again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I too would prefer a single protagonist. Actually, I just want them to re-make Vice City. It's the only GTA where I really felt like I achieved something by the end of it.

I played Vice City for a bit on the PS4 and the controls put me off it. A shame as I would have liked to have known more of Mr. Vercetti. Radio was excellent though with cracking tunes being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I played Vice City for a bit on the PS4 and the controls put me off it. A shame as I would have liked to have known more of Mr. Vercetti. Radio was excellent though with cracking tunes being played.

The controls? But they're the same in every game pretty much :confused:

nix wrote: »

They are not the same. I have it on the original Xbox and it is extremely difficult to play if you are used to modern games. Actually takes skill/learning curve to shoot people.

They are not the same. I have it on the original Xbox and it is extremely difficult to play if you are used to modern games. Actually takes skill/learning curve to shoot people.

You mean in that you actually have to aim, no auto lock on? Most shooters (even today) require you to aim, wouldnt call it difficult, never mind "extremely difficult" :eek::pac:

But yeah, it would be fairly dated, it is a ps2 game afterall..

You obviously haven't played it in a very long time trust me it is difficult with a learning curve. I also have San Andreas and that game is easy to play in comparison.

Modern games where you aim yourself are easy like RDR2 for example when in dead eye.

You obviously haven't played it in a very long time trust me it is difficult with a learning curve. I also have San Andreas and that game is easy to play in comparison.

Modern games where you aim yourself are easy like RDR2 for example when in dead eye.

Dead eye, is that the slow motion thing? I havent played RDR2 yet.

But eh yeah, i havent played since PS2..but i always recall there being an auto lock on button in all the GTA's in some shape or form :(

Cant see why they would change that in later ports :confused:

I'll take yer word for it though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No they're not. They're as clunky as frck in the old games. You've to fight through a layer of jank.

No they're not. They're as clunky as frck in the old games. You've to fight through a layer of jank.

Well yeah id assume the ps2 versions are mega clunky compared to ps3+ versions in terms of look and movement, but am i wrong to remember they all had a lock on aim button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Well yeah id assume the ps2 versions are mega clunky compared to ps3+ versions in terms of look and movement, but am i wrong to remember they all had a lock on aim button?

Pretty sure auto aim or lock on was introduced in GTA4.

• Advertisement

I think it did but it wasn't very good. I played it again about 2 years ago just from seeing comments here about how good it is where as I always remembered San Andreas as being the best so I said I will give it another go.

I still think San Andreas was better. Controls were terrible. One thing I find funny though is the RC helicopter missions people say were extremely difficult and I had no problems with those missions at all. I even see every so often on facebook gaming pages how difficult was this mission(referring to the RC helicopter missions)

Two years ago wasn't my first time playing it. I had played it previously and don't remember having any issue with controls. If you play games at the minute and decide to jump in on Vice City and expect to play at ease you are mistaking it will take a while before you adjust.

Pretty sure auto aim or lock on was introduced in GTA4.

It was deffo in San Andreas anyway as I only played that last week. I have it on PC so jump in to it every now and then.

I also have it on original Xbox but I would have to take that out of the press and then set up a different TV. Looks terrible on a large 4k TV. :pac:

Pretty sure auto lock on was in all the games, think it just needed to be enabled in the options if not defaulted.

I'm going by memory but im pretty certain there was auto locking aim in the first new age GTA, and vice city then had an option. I cant really remember san andreas, but im pretty sure it was possible in that also :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

It was deffo in San Andreas anyway as I only played that last week. I have it on PC so jump in to it every now and then.

I also have it on original Xbox but I would have to take that out of the press and then set up a different TV. Looks terrible on a large 4k TV. :pac:

Was it? I stand corrected then. I didn't think it was as I remember quitting the earlier games and thought it was due to a lack of target lock but am obviously misremembering that. I tried playing the xbox 360 re-release a couple of years back but the controls were so bad I gave up.

AGDQ started last night and will be streaming nonstop for the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AGDQ started last night and will be streaming nonstop for the next week.

Big meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rumours the last few days of a sequel to Alien: Isolation being announced and all that excitement has been doused in piss as it's revealed Alien: Blackout is a mobile game...

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/alien-blackout-is-a-survival-horror-mobile-game-starring-amanda-ripley-1203101143/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And the mobile curse strikes again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The mobile game announced, Blackout, is being developed by D3 Go! and Rival Games.

This appears to be a different title than what was announced early last year after the publisher, FoxNext, acquired a larger dev studio, Cold Iron Studios, to work on a shooter for PC and console.

So yea, maybe hold off on the old piss blasting for a bit. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just played my first hour or two of Hades, and holy hell it's good. For an early access title it plays like a dream, and already one of the most captivating rogue-like games I've played.

Gotta hand it to Supergiant - I was never the biggest fan of Bastion beyond the presentation, but each game since has won me over completely. That they all feel and play like very different things despite sharing some basic traits is one of the most impressive things.

A good as opportunity as any to remind people to play Pyre if you haven't already - still think that boasts the richest, most consequential implementation of player choice in any game I've played.

Advertisement