Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Vice City was the first game I sat down to play properly. Got to a remote control helicopter in multi-storey car park. Haven't played a GTA since.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Vice City was the first game I sat down to play properly. Got to a remote control helicopter in multi-storey car park. Haven't played a GTA since.

oh God, I'm starting to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Was that not a building site. I remember seeing a gaming page on Facebook post a link to the mission with the remote control helicopter on a building site and the words along the line of the torture of this mission which i found a bit funny as I had only just replayed the mission not long before it was posted on facebook and had no problems what so ever with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I've made a few attempts at getting into GTAV but usually gave up after a couple of hours..am I missing a great game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,970 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dcully wrote: »
    I've made a few attempts at getting into GTAV but usually gave up after a couple of hours..am I missing a great game?

Not missing much. Didn't think it went beyond decent myself. The world was great but the missions were so so and the dialogue was forced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Dcully wrote: »

It's pretty great. Worth playing through and it's not that long. The Heists are fantastic fun.

I loved GTA V so much I played it a few times. Played online a few times but got fed up with the long waits maybe it got better as time went on but I was fed up with the delays so stopped playing online.

• Administrators Posts: 53,538 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

SA, Vice City, V, III, IV would be the order for me.

Never got into 5 online because the matchmaking and connection was absolutely rubbish when it first came out. Could barely stay connected to the game for 10 minutes, could never get in to games with friends etc. I guess they must have fixed it eventually but I'd moved on.

IV was a huge disappointment. The driving was garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Was that not a building site. I remember seeing a gaming page on Facebook post a link to the mission with the remote control helicopter on a building site and the words along the line of the torture of this mission which i found a bit funny as I had only just replayed the mission not long before it was posted on facebook and had no problems what so ever with it.

I know the San Andreas one (with some guy in a computer shop, if I recall) is something I just flat out gave up on when I played it at first, but I actually went back through SA on mobile after it was on sale for €2, and absolutely breezed through it as well. Must just be something to do with updated controls, because that was one of the most frustrating (and not in the good/rewarding way) missions of any game I have ever played, and probably will ever play, right up there with the underwater stuff in that really old TMNTurtles NES game.

Yeah it was the Zero missions in San Fiero if I recall. I replayed it over the summer even got my old Brady Games strategy guide out and everything :)

I forgot how much driving you had to do in that game akin to horse riding in red dead 2 and how nuts the driving npcs was especially trucks on freeways. I did get 100% back in the day but couldn't be arsed this time.

For me 3,VC,5,SA,4 in preferred order and id likely put a few ......... between SA and 4 as I loved SA just preferred the others and hated 4.

EDIT: Driving school was a bloody pain now I think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Doge wrote: »
    I must be turning into Retr0 because I actually would rather go back and play The Getaway and The Getaway Black Monday over the GTA games of that era. :p

I'm just done with the GTA formula at this stage, didn't even make it half way through V and IV was a bit of a pig to complete, apart from the memorable bank heist mission with the Irish lads.

The getaway upped the realism for open world games at the time, with more life-like and less cartoonish graphics than GTA III, featured an accurate real world map of London.

Had amazing facial animations for the time.
    While the game is probably not as a fun, it was dark and had a lot of style and grit to it from the opening scene where your wife is shot dead on the street and son is kindapped to the end of the game.

I thought it was an amazing accomplishment by Team Soho at the time and it's a huge shame that The Getaway 3 never saw the light of day.
    I'll never consider it as a "GTA Clone" as the game stands out in its own right.
    The closest we have now is London Heist and the upcoming Blood and Truth on PSVR.

The Getaway was such a disappointment for me, I expected more from it. It also took me ages to realise you had to lean against a wall to heal (wow, such realism :D).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,970 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found the Getaway took itself too serious and to keep that tone they removed all the fun from the open world. Then forgot to put any fun into the game.

Never liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hah, that RC helicopter mission in VC :D I remember a friend being stuck on it for weeks and had given up. I had to go to his house to do it for him.

Helicopters (actual and RC) had a certain knack to them and once you got it, they were grand. Zeros battle mission in SA was pretty easy. However, when you had to get those RC planes to hit the moving vans... Different story altogether

Loved The Getaway. Great story and yeah, really gritty. I played it through with a friend and one of the first missions involved a shootout in a restaurant or something. We didn't know how to heal up so ended up attempting that mission about 50 times before a friend walked in and showed us how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe it was a building site. Either way, not fun. I think the main thing that put me off was when you failed you had to drive back to the mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Maybe it was a building site. Either way, not fun. I think the main thing that put me off was when you failed you had to drive back to the mission.

I think there was a car park one and a building site one, one with RC cars and the other with an RC helicopter. Can't remember which was which though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Penn wrote: »
    I think there was a car park one and a building site one, one with RC cars and the other with an RC helicopter. Can't remember which was which though.

The building site was the RC helicopters one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I youtubed it at lunch. There was a building site with construction workers chasing your helicopter trying to bate it with hammers. This is the one I remember. There was also an aeroplane one where you had to drop bombs on speed boats. I don't recall this at all and it seems to have been wiped from my memory. The chopper one was rage inducing enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm having a great time playing Bulletstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭Doge

Benzino wrote: »
    The Getaway was such a disappointment for me, I expected more from it. It also took me ages to realise you had to lean against a wall to heal (wow, such realism :D).

What was also not so obvious is that there's 2 parts to each game!

I'd say some people completed the game not realising they only half completed it, value for money imo.

As a petrol head I loved the fact it used all licensed cars also and had better handling than the GTA games.

Apart from unrealistic healing what also helped with realism was the lack of any On Screen Display.
    You had to rely on your indicators to get to a location and I found it worked well, never had an issue with it.

• Advertisement

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'm having a great time playing Bulletstorm.

It is a good game kicking people into spikes etc...

Are you playing the original or the re-release?

It is a good game kicking people into spikes etc...

Are you playing the original or the re-release?

And electrocuting them :D

I'm playing the remastered one on the PS4 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

awec wrote: »
    IV was a huge disappointment. The driving was garbage.

Couple of days late, but I consider IVs driving to be the best in the series. Actually took skill.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Couple of days late, but I consider IVs driving to be the best in the series. Actually took skill.

I disagree cousin. Now lets play bowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I couldn't get on with the camera angle for the driving so I gave up on IV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I liked the RC missions, especially the Helicopter one. :o I prefer the world of IV to V but with the atrocious PC port and GFWL, it's hard to justify a revisit even with patches and that unofficial fix.

Did you ever use the motorcycles? I took cousin Roman out on one once and I terrified him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Did you ever use the motorcycles? I took cousin Roman out on one once and I terrified him :D

How could you play The Lost and Damned and not use the bikes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

eyerer wrote: »
    I couldn't get on with the camera angle for the driving so I gave up on IV

Yeah I had to constantly hold the right stick down slightly when driving to be able to see enough in front of me. None of the preset cameras gave a good enough view. The cars did have a better weight to them than GTAV, but overall I preferred the driving in GTAV.

• Advertisement

How could you play The Lost and Damned and not use the bikes :D

It wasn't The Lost and Damned (which is excellent) at all.

Advertisement