Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you get it from the EU store you'll get the garbage PAL 50Hz release. Get it from the US store or even just pick up the PSP Dracula X Chronicles game. It is a remaster of rondo of blood in dodgy 3D (fantastic remake other than the graphics) but also has the original 2D rondo of blood as an unlockable and also Symphony of the Night with Maria added as a playable character from the Saturn version.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Have Hitman 2 and God of War coming for Christmas. Playing Spiderman really reawakened a love for the simple single player game so hoping these two can keep me content in that front.

If you've recently reawakened your love of Single Player, I can't talk about Hitman but God of War is GOTY imo. An amazing SP experience, just stunning in every possible way. I'd play Hitman 2 first, just in case!
    J. Marston wrote: »
    AC: Odyssey is my game to play over Christmas. Haven't played an AC since Black Flag but Odyssey looks great.

Odyssey is very nearly my favourite AC, but I stopped about 10/12 hours in to play RDR2. Can't wait to go back, and my only complaint about it was it may get repetative. Also, pick Kassandra if you want the intended experience. By all reports, her voice acting is very good (what I've seen of her so far is), whereas yer man is supposed to have horrendous voice acting. In the bit of crossover I've seen with him so far while playing as Alexandra, he annoyed me and I couldn't imagine playing the entire game listening to his fake gruffness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FYI you can play PS1 games on SNES Classic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    FYI you can play PS1 games on SNES Classic.

Badly with compatibility and performance issues. It doesnt quite have the grunt for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Speaking of the Vita, can it be used to play on the big TV screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

eyerer wrote: »
    Speaking of the Vita, can it be used to play on the big TV screen?

They released PlayStation TV for that but I'm not sure if they can still be bought.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-9818236-Sony-TV/dp/B00KJG45AQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543959014&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=playstation+tv&dpPl=1&dpID=31bew7kzZZL&ref=plSrch

I don't mind buying a used one.
    It's mostly for PS1 and maybe the odd PSP/Vita game, are there any graphics/smoothing options for PS1/PSP on the PSTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The PS TV was discontinued, but if you do manage to get your hands on one, just a heads up that not every game is compatible.

Check the list in the wiki articles below. The 2nd last column shows compatibility with PS TV :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(A–L)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games_(M–Z)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

J. Marston wrote: »
    AC: Odyssey is my game to play over Christmas. Haven't played an AC since Black Flag but Odyssey looks great.

I was a big fan of Edward Kenway in Black Flag.

eyerer wrote: »
    It's mostly for PS1
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    The PS TV was discontinued, but if you do manage to get your hands on one, just a heads up that not every game is compatible.

Haven't tried it (like an idiot, I upgraded the firmware), but Henkaku will help with both of these.

• Advertisement

I completed Yakuza Kuwami last night. What a great game.
    It's incredible how underrated this series seems to be. Sony has had this exclusive powerhouse under it's belt for quite some time.

The last one I completed was Yakuza 3 on the PS3 I think!

Next on the hit list is Kuwami 2, then Yakuza 6. I'm excited to see what a change of engine can do for the series. Looks to be PS4 Pro enhanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If you've recently reawakened your love of Single Player, I can't talk about Hitman but God of War is GOTY imo. An amazing SP experience, just stunning in every possible way. I'd play Hitman 2 first, just in case!

I can't wait. I always wanted to play a Hitman game and it dropped in price during Black Friday so I couldn't say no. Really excited for God of War, too. Also a game I've never played.

Exciting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I completed Yakuza Kuwami last night. What a great game.
    It's incredible how underrated this series seems to be. Sony has had this exclusive powerhouse under it's belt for quite some time.

The last one I completed was Yakuza 3 on the PS3 I think!

Next on the hit list is Kuwami 2, then Yakuza 6. I'm excited to see what a change of engine can do for the series. Looks to be PS4 Pro enhanced.

Yakuza 0 was a revelation to me. Had vaguely heard of the series but never paid any attention to it. Took the chance with it and Yakuza 6 at the same time (pre-order deal) and was blown away. An amazing game. Enjoyed Kiwami 1 too but haven't played 2 or 6 yet, as I think it's kind of a series that requires a decent enough break between games, especially given they happen in the same city, very similar side missions/activites etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Speaking of the Yakuza games, Project Judge (from the same studio) scored highly in the latest issue of Famitsu (not that that's a reliable metric). Only a vague western release date of "next year" though, but I'm looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I can't wait. I always wanted to play a Hitman game and it dropped in price during Black Friday so I couldn't say no. Really excited for God of War, too. Also a game I've never played.

Exciting!!

Just FYI on Hitman, it's a game that requires playing the same level over and over, approaching things in a different fashion each time. For me, the objective wasn't to kill the target, but to get the "Mastery" up to full on each level. I had loads of fun doing that, but if you only go for the kill, you could be finished in a couple of days, instead of weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KyCoo

I'm currently addicted to PUBG. That's the only thing I keep playing. All the time!

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just FYI on Hitman, it's a game that requires playing the same level over and over, approaching things in a different fashion each time. For me, the objective wasn't to kill the target, but to get the "Mastery" up to full on each level. I had loads of fun doing that, but if you only go for the kill, you could be finished in a couple of days, instead of weeks for me.

Yes I've had many attempts that have descended into running murder sprees :D Not the best approach!

I played the one from a couple of years ago and with the hints on you just follow the icon, with the hints off I get lost and don't have the patience to wait around watching patterns/overhearing things :pac:

I'm gonna pass on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I loved Blood money years ago. It was such a change from the usual games I was playing run in and shoot everyone.

I have Hitman( which ever number that was, next gen console version) on PC and couldn't get into it. Like the above poster I couldn't be bother waiting around watching and learning and replaying again to get a better run of the level so I stopped playing and never went back since which is a shame really considering everyone talks so highly of it.

I'm a fan of the Dishonored games so I'm going to get cracking at 'Death of the Outsider' this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Katamari Damacy Reroll is out on PC and Switch now.

If you've never played a Katamari game before (and there are only two real Katamari games) this is your chance to play what's unquestionably one of the greatest games of all times - an impossibly joyful and strange masterpiece from the one-and-only Keita Takahashi, with perhaps the most magnificent soundtrack to ever grace a computerised game.

More people need to play katamari. It's just pure unbridled joyin videogame form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

That pro scratchin not melt the brain?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    More people need to play katamari. It's just pure unbridled joyin videogame form

I've been eyeing the remaster on Steam, admittedly its quite different to what i'm used to but it does have me intrigued. If I knock one or two titles off my backlog I might take the plunge. No harm changing things up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭Doge

Katamari Damacy Reroll is out on PC and Switch now.

If you've never played a Katamari game before (and there are only two real Katamari games) this is your chance to play what's unquestionably one of the greatest games of all times - an impossibly joyful and strange masterpiece from the one-and-only Keita Takahashi, with perhaps the most magnificent soundtrack to ever grace a computerised game.

I played Katamari Damacy on the PS2 and loved it despite not finishing it , but I'd be real interesting in hearing what the other true one is!

I've been eyeing the remaster on Steam, admittedly its quite different to what i'm used to but it does have me intrigued. If I knock one or two titles off my backlog I might take the plunge. No harm changing things up a bit

Take a break from your back log. It's short but oh so sweet and you can get back to whatever you are playing afterwards. I gaurantee it's a better game than anything you are playing right now.
    Doge wrote: »
    I played Katamari Damacy on the PS2 and loved it despite not finishing it , but I'd be real interesting in hearing what the other true one is!

We love katamari which is the sequel. After that the director left the series and every other release has just been a cheap cash in recycling older levels and adding needless gimmicks

I enjoy beating cousin Roman at bowling. He's not as good as he thinks he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm throwing it out there, I kinda think the music used on the Mortal Kombat 11 trailer works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm throwing it out there, I kinda think the music used on the Mortal Kombat 11 trailer works quite well.

I don't think it was terrible, and that style of song worked really well for the first MKX trailer. But I do think it paled in comparison to that song.

That was an awesome trailer too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sonics2k wrote:

I thought it was going to be another MK vs DC game as the choice of music seemed to be more up the DC trying to be cool street.

Advertisement