Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,580 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of Sega, everyone should give the Yakuza series a go if you haven't already. Playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 (remaster of Yakuza 2) and it is definitely one of my game of the years along with Yakuza 6 that was released earlier this year. Absolutely brilliant franchise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Speaking of Sega, everyone should give the Yakuza series a go if you haven't already. Playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 (remaster of Yakuza 2) and it is definitely one of my game of the years along with Yakuza 6 that was released earlier this year. Absolutely brilliant franchise.

Any chance they'll come to Xbox? Is Yakuza 0 the better game to start with for newcomers to the series?

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Any chance they'll come to Xbox? Is Yakuza 0 the better game to start with for newcomers to the series?

Series producer mentioned earlier this year that the xbox is an option if they see enough demand. Yupp zero is a great starting point and cheap now on PS4. Confusing start figuring out what's going on but after a few chapters, I was completely hooked. Played Kiwami 1, Yakuza 6 and now Kiwami 2, all excellent! Looking forward to Kiwami 3, 4 and 5!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the big problem with Yakuza is that most of the mainline games are so similar. I’ve played a few of them, and they’re big, time-consuming games - there’s a lot to like and even love, but over dozens of hours let alone multiple games I tend to get worn down by the whole experience. I get that part of the design - artistically not just practically - is that Kamurocho only somewhat changes from one game to the next, but I definitely think a good long break between entries is needed when dipping into the series. I know others disagree, but personally I find the recent onslaught of western releases means I’m actually not going to play most of them. Yakuza 3 is the first one I ever fully played through, and most of the subsequent ones I’ve tried are the same basic formula with a few tweaks and variations. That’s fine, just can be a bit dulling after a while - it’s a series that moves forward in baby steps.

That said, Yakuza 0 is definitely the one people should try. It resets the hugely convoluted plotting and dials up the silliness to a thoroughly enjoyable degree. It’s Yakuza without a lot of the baggage of a long-running series, and the most purely enjoyable out of the ones I’ve played. Still requires more time than I’ll ever have to commit to it, but it’s nice to dip in from time to time for a few farcical sidequests and to earn obscene amounts of yen.

• Advertisement

I went into Kiwami 1 fairly quick after Zero and definitely felt the burn. Ending up flying through the story (still thoroughly enjoyed it) and didn't get the full Yakuza experience. After playing 6 in April and loving it I wanted to give Kiwami 2 a break. Wasn't going to play it til new year but really glad I picked it up. The formula described above would be enough to put me off a game but Yakuza is just a magical experience. Yupp, not for everyone but if you try zero and love it, you have a whole franchise to dive into.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I went into Kiwami 1 fairly quick after Zero and definitely felt the burn. Ending up flying through the story (still thoroughly enjoyed it) and didn't get the full Yakuza experience. After playing 6 in April and loving it I wanted to give Kiwami 2 a break. Wasn't going to play it til new year but really glad I picked it up. The formula described above would be enough to put me off a game but Yakuza is just a magical experience. Yupp, not for everyone but if you try zero and love it, you have a whole franchise to dive into.

I only play one Yakuza game per year, which is enough for me when I want to play something different. So far, I only played Kiwami and Zero. Both are great games, but Zero is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Does the Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS4/XB) officially exist in physical form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Does the Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS4/XB) officially exist in physical form?

Yep. Pretty sure I saw it in Gamestop on release. Listed on amazon. Have read its basically the same collection as the PS3 HD remasters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devil-May-Cry-Collection-PS4-x/dp/B078W7Y7VK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545734326&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=devil+may+cry+hd+collection+ps4&dpPl=1&dpID=51lYuxXdUPL&ref=plSrch

Also, it is listed on CEX albeit out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Yep. Pretty sure I saw it in Gamestop on release. Listed on amazon. Have read its basically the same collection as the PS3 HD remasters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devil-May-Cry-Collection-PS4-x/dp/B078W7Y7VK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545734326&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=devil+may+cry+hd+collection+ps4&dpPl=1&dpID=51lYuxXdUPL&ref=plSrch

Also, it is listed on CEX albeit out of stock

Nice one, thanks very much. I was wondering because I was toying with the idea of grabbing it on the PlayStation Store since it's on sale, but at the same time I mostly prefer to have it physically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I just started playing Wipeout: Omega Collection. It's great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I bought the Ezio Collection about a month ago, Assassins Creed 2 has not aged gracefully. I was kinda shocked by how bad the controls felt compared to Odyssey. It's not something about what more you can do it's more the smoothness of movement or fighting. Really was an eye opener as it was not something I felt changed that much from game to game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I just started playing Wipeout: Omega Collection. It's great fun.

Just bought a ps vr and wipeout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see Miyazaki of From Software is saying they have two unannounced titles in development. Anyone heard any decent rumours as to what they may be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I see Miyazaki of From Software is saying they have two unannounced titles in development. Anyone heard any decent rumours as to what they may be?

Think there was a bloodborne Easter egg that someone had to come out and say wasn't an indication of a new game.

They've been promising a new Armoured Core game for a long while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

UK video game sales now 80% digital

I knew that the percentage of digital game sales was going up massively, but I hadn't realised it was that much. No wonder every bricks and mortar store is struggling, the last time I was in a game shop, it was less games and more merchandise.

The rumours of a disc-less console from Microsoft make a bit more sense now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Microsoft's original Xbox One plans were a generation too early. I'm still wary about console digital sales though. I get everything I can on PC digitally because as an open platform I'll have access to those games forever with fan communities supporting them.

Microsoft have taken some good steps with their exceptional backwards compatibility program but then you have Sony and Nintendo who just don't care. No excuse for them to not offer BC for the next gen considering the architecture both are using.

Can definitely see the likes of Game Pass and PSNow being the future of games. Games as a subscription service. Even Nintendo are testing the water with their online pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think Microsoft's original Xbox One plans were a generation too early. I'm still wary about console digital sales though. I get everything I can on PC digitally because as an open platform I'll have access to those games forever with fan communities supporting them.

Microsoft have taken some good steps with their exceptional backwards compatibility program but then you have Sony and Nintendo who just don't care. No excuse for them to not offer BC for the next gen considering the architecture both are using.

Can definitely see the likes of Game Pass and PSNow being the future of games. Games as a subscription service. Even Nintendo are testing the water with their online pass.

If Steam shut down in the morning would you not lose access to all your games?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If Steam shut down in the morning would you not lose access to all your games?

On PC there would be.... other ways to access them.

I try to buy from GoG where possible now though to avoid any annoying DRM issues like that.

Unlike say the Wii where I've no way to buy games digitally and by the end of this month (I think) I've no way to download any games I bought from the store.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A generation too early, and also announced in the worst way possible.

Technically, steam (and any other store) could disappear, and everyone's games would disappear too. Highly unlikely in steams case, but some of the other online stores must be pretty borderline in terms of profitability.

Agree on Game Pass and PSNow, Game Pass is practically essential if you're an Xbox owner, and they plan on expanding to PC now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Unlike say the Wii where I've no way to buy games digitally and by the end of this month (I think) I've no way to download any games I bought from the store.

I thought that was against EU law in that if you bought something digitally they had to allow you the option to download it at any time in the future.

CatInABox wrote: »
    A generation too early, and also announced in the worst way possible.

I'm pretty sure Sony had the exact same plans. Lots of developers before E3 were talking about how both platform holders were moving to always online platforms. Sony saw the bad reaction and then very cleverly threw Microsoft under the bus.

I thought that was against EU law in that if you bought something digitally they had to allow you the option to download it at any time in the future.

Possibly. But with all laws like this it's only ever enforced if it's challenged in a court of law. If Nintendo aren't taken to court then they can do what they like.

Either way it's happening

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/wii-shop-closure-announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wish going forward there would be an online archive where you can download games, content or patches assigned to and purchased from your account on a specific platform.
    The 360/Wii/PS3 generation is the first console generation to kinda demand it.
    Absolutely incredibly unlikely to happen even if it's technically feasible.

I'm pretty sure Sony had the exact same plans. Lots of developers before E3 were talking about how both platform holders were moving to always online platforms. Sony saw the bad reaction and then very cleverly threw Microsoft under the bus.

Yeah, but included in Microsofts announcement was TV TV TV TV KINECT MORE TV TV TV games.

Definitely the worst console announcement, although the PS3 announcement was also pretty bad.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, but included in Microsofts announcement was TV TV TV TV KINECT MORE TV TV TV games.

Definitely the worst console announcement, although the PS3 announcement was also pretty bad.

There was a lot wrong with that Xbox announcement but I think always online was the biggie.

Also think the Sony PS3 was even worse although the comedy value to provided sort of made up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony's conference was 1:30 hr after MS, going by the average meeting that isn't enough time to decide on a lunch order so no chance they were able to decide to change a system that was already in development and one that would completely change how game were sold.

Not to mention the reaction to MS wasn't instantaneous, random snark of those watching live wasn't enough to make anyone take such a drastic change. The "if you want a offline Xbox, then get a 360" stuff came a few days later, and MS were insistent for a long while that the system couldn't be changed (obv it could they would just rather not)

Also think the Sony PS3 was even worse although the comedy value to provided sort of made up for it.

Ah, there's been some amount of craic knocked out of that launch, it still brings a small to my face every time I think of it.

"So here's this giant enemy crab" Classic

Varik wrote: »
    Sony's conference was 1:30 hr after MS, going by the average meeting that isn't enough time to decide on a lunch order so no chance they were able to decide to change a system that was already in development and one that would completely change how game were sold.

Not to mention the reaction to MS wasn't instantaneous, random snark of those watching live wasn't enough to make anyone take such a drastic change. The "if you want a offline Xbox, then get a 360" stuff came a few days later, and MS were insistent for a long while that the system couldn't be changed (obv it could they would just rather not)

Just looked it up there to prove how wrong you are..... and since February of that year before E3 sony were adamant about not requiring an online connection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There was a lot wrong with that Xbox announcement but I think always online was the biggie.

It wasn't even always online. It required regular check ins. I think they said that it would be every 24 hours.

A lot of the criticism was unwarranted. Despite the fact it wasn't always on you still had people giving out about the Xbox because if they lost their internet connection for even a second their game wouldn't work.

People complained about not being able to trade in games even though Microsoft said that the system would accommodate changes. People complained about not being able to borrow games even though Microsoft said you could do that.

The system was basically steam but on a console and with trade-ins and lending games built in. I don't think it was a generation too early. If people had given Microsoft a bit of slack instead of criticising it straight off the bat without even considering the changes then I think it could have been pretty good.

Advertisement