Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

HMV coming back to Edward Square alright. 25 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

The CD/DVD business is on it's knees. Vinyl is big for now but if you go into Zhivago half the shop is tourist souvenirs.

Hard to see how HMV's business model is sustainable considering how they sell new releases at about 20% margin and all the stock they carry but good luck to them. Tesco's large displays of new releases must also be eating in to their sales.

New jobs for the city is always good news.

jamc wrote: »
    The CD/DVD business is on it's knees. Vinyl is big for now but if you go into Zhivago half the shop is tourist souvenirs.

Hard to see how HMV's business model is sustainable considering how they sell new releases at about 20% margin and all the stock they carry but good luck to them. Tesco's large displays of new releases must also be eating in to their sales.

New jobs for the city is always good news.

Tesco have very little new release and what few hey have used to always be far more expensive than HMV. The HMV business model is outdated but that's not to say that there isn't a lot of mileage left in it yet. I know that I always found them competitive against amazon and on a number of occasions they were considerably cheaper. Zhivago in Galway is a store for tourists, sure they stock a few films and music but their stock is slim and over priced

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think the cities can just about sustain a bricks and mortar physical music/dvd/games product store as there will be enough occasional buyers and of those not savvy enough to do all their buying or streaming online so I think there is still a place for HMV.

I'm guilty of not making a purchase of physical product in HMV for years but I still enjoy browsing there while waiting for a friend or to pass the time (and I suspect a large % of "shoppers" in there might be the same). Of course that doesn't translate into revenue for HMV so they do have a challenge. Good to see them reopening again - also opening in the old AWear shop in Grafton St, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

I'd presume they could sustain a business by selling electronics, accessories and box sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And far more Blurays then what appears to be on the highstreet at the minute. Seriously we are now into 2014 and buying Blurays is still like trying to find Minidiscs when they launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Is the Checkout convenience shop on corner of Dominick St/ William St West closed?

Shutter was down 2 mornings in a row when I passed? Or maybe they are opening later in the day!

boardzz wrote: »
    I'd presume they could sustain a business by selling electronics, accessories and box sets.

Most of the HMV stores were quite profitable, it was the rent that was crippling them. Focusing on DVD, Blu-Rays, CDs and Vinyl at competitive prices is all they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Most of the HMV stores were quite profitable, it was the rent that was crippling them. Focusing on DVD, Blu-Rays, CDs and Vinyl at competitive prices is all they need.

In the old HMV they sold stuff like videogames, headphones, iPods and iPads, tablets and t-shirts as well. They could expand that section fairly easily at the expense of CD's.

In the old HMV they sold stuff like videogames, headphones, iPods and iPads, tablets and t-shirts as well. They could expand that section fairly easily at the expense of CD's.

The margin on apple products is tiny and the space would be much better taken up by headphones or vinyl players. HMV are moving away from games and are currently selling off stock cheaply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet but LaSalsa on Mainguard Street has closed down. Signage down and the inside emptied.

I believe the one on Mary Street is still open, according to comments on their Facebook page.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

J o e wrote: »
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet but LaSalsa on Mainguard Street has closed down. Signage down and the inside emptied.

I believe the one on Mary Street is still open, according to comments on their Facebook page.
    Before the arrival of Boojum, there would have been a march on the premises to keep it open. Nowadays...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

J o e wrote: »

Actually it was.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89585211&postcount=460

But nobody cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

My bad, didn't realise it was gone that long and I pass it most days, had only checked back a few pages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Robbo wrote: »
    Before the arrival of Boojum, there would have been a march on the premises to keep it open. Nowadays...

They'd lost me as a customer long before boojum came to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They'd lost me as a customer long before boojum came to town.

For why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

JohnCleary wrote: »
    For why?

April fool's is well over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

JohnCleary wrote: »
    For why?

LaSala's food is awful and has as much in common with real Mexican food as a third-generation descendent from Buenos Aires has in common with a skanger from Tallaght. And I say that a person who lived in a Mexican neighborhood for near to two years.

Boojum took the dining experience and food of Chipotle and brought it to Ireland. Most of their food is still off in small ways (wheat chips and tortillas versus corn chips and tortillas, grumble) from real Mexican, but absolutely excellent despite that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Fenster wrote: »
    LaSala's food is awful and has as much in common with real Mexican food as a third-generation descendent from Buenos Aires has in common with a skanger from Tallaght. And I say that a person who lived in a Mexican neighborhood for near to two years.

Boojum took the dining experience and food of Chipotle and brought it to Ireland. Most of their food is still off in small ways (wheat chips and tortillas versus corn chips and tortillas, grumble) from real Mexican, but absolutely excellent despite that.

Boojum's chips are made of corn, not wheat though right? Though agreed I would love a proper soft corn taco like I got in the mission district of San Francisco, still dream about them.

Came across a Chipotle in Frankfurt and was surprised to see that Boojum has completely ripped off their business model, menu's are completely identical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Their chips were wheat last I looked, but now that you've said this I will have an ask when I'm in there next. Soft tacos are easy to make, although I'm straying off topic at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The e-cig place in woodquay has been gone a few weeks and now it's repainted with the name tulip over the door.. Nothing inside when I passed by this morning though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The e-cig place in woodquay has been gone a few weeks and now it's repainted with the name tulip over the door.. Nothing inside when I passed by this morning though..

They moved to Eglinton st
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056961961/33

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A ladies fashion store judging by the painted words 'italiana' and 'moda'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I hear HMV's coming back to Galway, and it's going to be in Edward Square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

branie wrote: »
    I hear HMV's coming back to Galway, and it's going to be in Edward Square

mentioned numerous times.

first post it was mentioned:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89730710&postcount=504

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Laviski wrote: »
    mentioned numerous times.

first post it was mentioned:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89730710&postcount=504

I only found out yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

It's their last night tonight. Gutted, I loved this place.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Il-Vicolo-Cafe/178429315566631

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ludikrus wrote: »
    It's their last night tonight. Gutted, I loved this place.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Il-Vicolo-Cafe/178429315566631

Christ thats fairly shocking, always seems busy when i pass day or night, rent cant be that big and it aint cheap although theyve limited seating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭thesandeman

New lounge type area being added to Rabbits where the off licence was and Four Star Pizza going into the ex Forster St Fish 'n' Chips premises. Sign up on the chicken place beside the Skeff as well.
    looks like they could all be ready to go shortly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement