Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

Greta needs new writers

She sounded deranged today

Did a lot of damage to her cause

It was clear from her language that at least some of the speech was written by others. Her advisors have ramped up her fear and seem to be increasing her stress levels. Parts of her speech included threatening language which is different to what I have heard from her before. I think her speeches have peaked now. She cannot go further without inciting violence (very close to that today).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Well I haven’t carried out extensive research as to the trustworthiness of institutions worldwide but the UN, EU and British parliament are hardly to be held up as paragons of virtue.

4th time (this is very interesting)

So, who do you trust to be virtuous?

(You can just say no one, you live with the expectation (fear maybe) that everyone is out to get you. It would explain the irrational hatred for a 16 year old girl)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So anyway today I stole a kids childhood and their dreams, I'm selling them on Adverts if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

is_that_so wrote: »
    How are these things connected or are you really implying the latter caused the former?

I said it was other news. But who am I to stop people from coming to their own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Are you a dentist, Dr, mechanic, electrician, etc?

Do you everything you need in life yourself or do you trust the work of others at any point?

Does this mean you have carried out climate and environment experiments and studies to be able to present a reasonable view point on the topic or are you admitting you have just relied solely on your own gut feeling?

So you blindly follow any “expert”?

The people I trust have a proven track record, have proven their competencies to me. Can you say that about the “institutions” of government anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

What Greta is saying is; the scientists say there needs to be action, unite behind the science and come up with meaningful actions.

She talks about reducing the use of fossil fuels, because that is something which is commonly said.... by scientists.

She went all the way to America to say that, what a numpty

NSAman wrote: »
    So you blindly follow any “expert”?

The people I trust have a proven track record, have proven their competencies to me. Can you say that about the “institutions” of government anywhere?

So I guess you agree with the scientists calling for action on climate change so.

You and Greta are on the same page.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    She went all the way to America to say that, what a numpty

Nobody would travel anywhere for a speech ever if it boiled down to something which could have been communicated over a video link or by email.

Has Greta's action been the tipping point where people will no longer tolerate any travel which was not absolutely necessary. She'll definitely count that as a success.

So I guess you agree with the scientists calling for action on climate change so.

You and Greta are on the same page.
    Hardly... “experts” notice the word is different.

Proven is also a clue in what I have written.

Currently, Greta and I are about as far apart as you and I in what I have written.

Now answer MY question....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I don’t trust anyone or anything until they’ve proven themselves to me.

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith like with a surgeon or a new mechanic but that’s not the same as trusting them.

Having watched Greta in that clip I just feel lectured by her parents tbh but then I’m a skeptic so I’m not her audience anyway. I just can’t figure out which bits were genuine and which were forced. None of it was convincing.

Either way, she’s clearly very emotional and if it was my own daughter I’d be getting concerned for her mental wellbeing at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Defo mentally unstable and her parents should be done for child abuse

Hardly... “experts” notice the word is different.

Proven is also a clue in what I have written.

Currently, Greta and I are about as far apart as you and I in what I have written.

Now answer MY question....

A - If the scientists who contributed to the IPCC report and have extensive academic peer reviewed research to their names are not experts, what are they? What do you need to do to be considered an expert, in your view.

B - Yes, there are many governmental institutions to be trusted by and large. You have to assess them on their merits on each topic but by and large the fact they function without repeated determination that they deliberately lied to the public, they can be considered truthful.

“Youve stolen my dreams”

Whatever marxist think tank is funding her should sack that speech writer

She had a meltdown talking at the marina when she supposedly sailed across the Atlantic. She seems to be on some medication today as she is way more cocky, talking nonsense but cocky.

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith like with a surgeon or a new mechanic but that’s not the same as trusting them.

Having watched Greta in that clip I just feel lectured by her parents tbh but then I’m a skeptic so I’m not her audience anyway. I just can’t figure out which bits were genuine and which were forced. None of it was convincing.

Either way, she’s clearly very emotional and if it was my own daughter I’d be getting concerned for her mental wellbeing at this stage.

There's no question but that this must be difficult for her.

I'd say she'd much rather people considered the central tenet of her message rather than expressing faux concern for her while continuously undermining her and questioning her right to have an opinion.

Nobody would travel anywhere for a speech ever if it boiled down to something which could have been communicated over a video link or by email.

Has Greta's action been the tipping point where people will no longer tolerate any travel which was not absolutely necessary. She'll definitely count that as a success.

Are you a Greta worshipper?

A - If the scientists who contributed to the IPCC report and have extensive academic peer reviewed research to their names are not experts, what are they? What do you need to do to be considered an expert, in your view.

B - Yes, there are many governmental institutions to be trusted by and large. You have to assess them on their merits on each topic but by and large the fact they function without repeated determination that they deliberately lied to the public, they can be considered truthful.

So you believe everything you are told by “experts”.

Academic peer reviewed....words that send shivers down my spine.

You trust Governmental Institutions also... thanks.... tells me what I need to know.... thank you.

Greta is explicitly saying, 'trust the scientists' Why do you have a problem with that message given that the basis for building trust in any scientists is a combination of their professional and academic qualifications. She is not suggesting she is a scientist or has any answers.

So you believe everything you are told by “experts”.

Academic peer reviewed....words that send shivers down my spine.

You trust Governmental Institutions also... thanks.... tells me what I need to know.... thank you.

I'll go with the above rather than a gut feeling of some sort thanks.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    She had a meltdown talking at the marina when she supposedly sailed across the Atlantic. She seems to be on some medication today as she is way more cocky, talking nonsense but cocky.

Wow.
    'This girl has no right to talk about climate problems, I mean what could she know about any of it.
    But I can deduce that she is on medication based on watching a clip of her on TV.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'd say she'd much rather people considered the central tenet of her message rather than expressing faux concern for her while continuously undermining her and questioning her right to have an opinion.

Whatever her message is, scolding, lecturing and talking down to people in that manner will not get it across effectively, if at all.

And I haven’t seen anyone question her right to an opinion.

I have however seen them question the fact that she’s being allowed to state those opinions as facts unchallenged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I wish she could use her massive outreach to show people simple ways they can live more sustainably. Wouldn’t that have more impact than selfies in New York and posts of speeches at the UN ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I just watched the speech there-she appears to be on some form of medication. The last couple of lines where she basically issues a direct threat to all older people was one of the vilest pieces of incitement I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In fairness she has not chosen to be the head of anything. Others have done that. The school strike idea did capture the imagination of kids and that's a good thing in its own right in the sense that it may produce a generation more mindful of the need to change. But there are no guarantees of that either.

Schools strikes wasn’t her idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The only ones who stole her childhood were her demented Marxist parents.

Whatever her message is, scolding, lecturing and talking down to people in that manner will not get it across effectively, if at all.

And I haven’t seen anyone question her right to an opinion.

I have however seen them question the fact that she’s being allowed to state those opinions as facts unchallenged.

She was challenged by her opinions at the US congress last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

She has autism and has rich parents, being as articulate as she is shows a really good outcome because of her parents wealth

If we are talking about stolen childhoods the children working in sweatshops around the world to feed the consumer economy that pollutes the world get first dibs on that one.

It actually underpins why there is resistance to her, as it comes across as a carefully manufactured charade and is disingenuous.

Travelling throughout Europe and now to america, nominated for Nobel prize, winner of countless other prizes, speaking at EU, UN, US congress, UK HoC, leader of largest coordinated protest in human history.

I'd say many parents and children would not see that as a stolen childhood.

I've no doubt she will have her pick of top universities on scholarship should she wish to go to any of them.

No doubt it is different and difficult (and will get harder) but she has wanted to take the lead on this and the opportunities opened up to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Fascinating to see the emotive ire she's receiving.

Same as the emotive ire Donald Trump got when he became President of the U.S.

It's all pantomime nowadays. I think opting out of following the global 'news' isn't far away for me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Facing down a child's opinion in public is not a winner for any adult. You just look like a bully. Usually letting them blow it off is the best approach.

The good old clever clogs in the RC had this down way back: Fatima, Medjegorje etc. Wheel out the kids to the media. "Ye must repent".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement