Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Greta is very strong on this point, repeating time and again that she and other activists do not want praise or admiration, just action. I do not see her actions as a gimmick. She travels by sea (including freight ships) and not by air.

lol
    Jesus Christ do you know how much fossil fuels ships use?

Man you climate hoax pushers are absolutely clueless.

I’ve never seen such hypocrisy, but then again you are mostly kids and people who spend their days painting their face than actually contributing to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Capra wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think Greta Thunberg is a plant by ExxonMobil or Shell. I've never before seen anyone as unlikeable put forward as the spokesperson of a campaign. I watched he 5 minute speech there and it was awful. She is a horrible little tramp. How could anyone who isn't already on her side be expected to like her? Nasty, humourless, angry, etc. These are not traits that win people over to your side of the argument.
    Well her supporters are hate filled so she is representing her base. If you don't like her it's sauce for the goose as far as she and they are concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The majority of the counties which comprise the UN are not dictatorships. They even had a minute silence for North Korean dictator Kim Jong il.
    The UN is not some haven of righteousness. In is a “pit of snakes” as one writer put it.

Okay, so could you answer the question.
    And who do you think are trusted institutions which exist in western society today?

Would you describe the EU, US congress, UK Parliament similarly as individually being a 'pit of snakes'.

diesel/ heavy oil cargo ships that burn 400 tonnes of diesel a day, great way to travel. Any mention of this anywhere ?
    lola85 wrote: »
    lol
    Jesus Christ do you know how much fossil fuels ships use?

Man you climate hoax pushers are absolutely clueless.

I’ve never seen such hypocrisy, but then again you are mostly kids and people who spend their days painting their face than actually contributing to society.

Speaking of being absolutely clueless, the yacht she travelled to the states on was wind powered.

She didn't hold her breath the whole time on the trip, does that invalidate her message?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Speaking of being absolutely clueless, the yacht she travelled to the states on was wind powered.

She didn't hold her breath the whole time on the trip, does that invalidate her message?

well a 747 uses 150,000 litres of fuel for a transatlantic flight , and a cargo ship across the atlantic would use about 7200 tonnes of heavy crude. Nobody is asking for absolute 0 but the poster who said she used cargo ships as if they were the beacon of clean travel is quite wrong.

• Advertisement

well a 747 uses 150,000 litres of fuel for a transatlantic flight , and a cargo ship across the atlantic would use about 7200 tonnes of heavy crude. Nobody is asking for absolute 0 but the poster who said she used cargo ships as if they were the beacon of clean travel is quite wrong.

I think, as you know, the poster was implying that she has hitched a ride on a ship which was making a particular journey anyway, such as a freight ship, and not that the specific purpose of the ships journey was not to transport humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

diesel/ heavy oil cargo ships that burn 400 tonnes of diesel a day, great way to travel. Any mention of this anywhere ?

Shipping is the least polluting mode of travel. Imagine how much fuel those ships would burn if they flew five miles high at 800 km per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Knew about her but didn't really pass much remarks until I heard her on the news this evening, she's very irriating telling everyone what to do but has no idea herself how it should be done.

Killing her dreams or some such nonscense was all she was coming out with, she's just another kid who doesn't live in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The majority of the counties which comprise the UN are not dictatorships. They even had a minute silence for North Korean dictator Kim Jong il.
    The UN is not some haven of righteousness. In is a “pit of snakes” as one writer put it.

Okay, so could you answer the question.
    And who do you think are trusted institutions which exist in western society today?

Would you describe the EU, US congress, UK Parliament similarly as individually being a 'pit of snakes'.

Absolutely

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

This week climate activists lost a court case against the government.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/climate-activists-lose-high-court-case-against-government-1.4023974

In other news, Judges got a pay rise.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/judges-salary-boosts-draws-criticism-933011.html

I understand the pay of Judges and politicians is linked. Hence the politicians praise the wonderful work of the judges and after a respectable time lapse the Judges pay rise will be used to justify a pay rise for politicians and meanwhile the Judges side with the government against climate activists.

Things are hotting up alright. Those young people who are protesting are right to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

[HTML][/HTML]
    Really? And who do you think are trusted institutions which exist in western society today?
    If you think the UN are the guardians of humanity,,,just try working with/for them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Greta is very strong on this point, repeating time and again that she and other activists do not want praise or admiration, just action. I do not see her actions as a gimmick. She travels by sea (including freight ships) and not by air.
    If that is the case shouldn't someone explain what so much publicity does? Eh, she's flying home so she doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where has she travelled to by freight ship? I find it hard to believe.

This week climate activists lost a court case against the government.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/climate-activists-lose-high-court-case-against-government-1.4023974

In other news, Judges got a pay rise.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/judges-salary-boosts-draws-criticism-933011.html

I understand the pay of Judges and politicians is linked. Hence the politicians praise the wonderful work of the judges and after a respectable time lapse the Judges pay rise will be used to justify a pay rise for politicians and meanwhile the Judges side with the government against climate activists.

Things are hotting up alright. Those young people who are protesting are right to do so.
    How are these things connected or are you really implying the latter caused the former?

Isn't the oil supposed to be very dirty as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Maybe I am wrong here, i don't know. Has this 16 year old kid got anything better to do then p!ss and moan and claim her human rights are violated because of climate change ? Is she just looking for attention ? I'm confused what the hell a 16 year old kid gives two sh!tes about Climate change for? She should be focusing on teenage stuff, not climate change. Crying in front of the UN about climate change and how it effects her and such. I think it's rather strange behavior from a child to be honest to take such a serious attitude in such things. Do people think because she is a kid that they should automatically listen ? :confused:

Do you think climate change is real ? What were you doing when you were 16 ? I was focusing on the birds. Climate change, global warming, politics in general didn't breeze past my mind. Green house gases.... GTFO of here. I had an extra spicy curry tonight and i got some gas worth crying over...

Absolutely

3rd time asking.

NSAman wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]
    If you think the UN are the guardians of humanity,,,just try working with/for them.....

Same question so as I have asked others.

Who do you think are trusted institutions in western society.

Greta has spoken at UN, EU, HoC and US Congress and someone else has implied they are not to be trusted so I'm wondering, who should we trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Maybe I am wrong here, i don't know. Has this 16 year old kid got anything better to do then p!ss and moan and claim her human rights are violated because of climate change ? Is she just looking for attention ? I'm confused what the hell a 16 year old kid gives two sh!tes about Climate change for? She should be focusing on teenage stuff, not climate change. Crying in front of the UN about climate change and how it effects her and such. I think it's rather strange behavior from a child to be honest to take such a serious attitude in such things. Do people think because she is a kid that they should automatically listen ? :confused:

Do you think climate change is real ? What were you doing when you were 16 ? I was focusing on the birds. Climate change, global warming, politics in general didn't breeze past my mind. Green house gases.... GTFO of here. I had an extra spicy curry tonight and i got some gas worth crying over...

As long as you have absolutely no follow-up questions--

Yes. Yes, we are.

Fully. We have to go now.

Absolutely

3rd time asking.

I tend to avoid institutions where possible so I really can’t comment on which ones are to be trusted. Certainly the old pillars of society have crumbled. The church, politicians, banks, media etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Same question so as I have asked others.

Who do you think are trusted institutions in western society.

Greta has spoken at UN, EU, HoC and US Congress and someone else has implied they are not to be trusted so I'm wondering, who should we trust?

Trust yourself. Pure and simple.

I tend to avoid institutions where possible so I really can’t comment on which ones are to be trusted. Certainly the old pillars of society have crumbled. The church, politicians, banks, media etc.

So, you can't comment on which ones are to be trusted but can comment on which ones are not to be trusted.
    All from a position of avoiding institutions wherever you go.

You're just looking to have a rant here aren't you? Greta is an easy target for that in fairness.

NSAman wrote: »
    Trust yourself. Pure and simple.

Are you a dentist, Dr, mechanic, electrician, etc?

Do you everything you need in life yourself or do you trust the work of others at any point?

Does this mean you have carried out climate and environment experiments and studies to be able to present a reasonable view point on the topic or are you admitting you have just relied solely on your own gut feeling?

for a poster called tell me how you sure think people have to answer all your questions huh

So, you can't comment on which ones are to be trusted but can comment on which ones are not to be trusted.
    All from a position of avoiding institutions wherever you go.

You're just looking to have a rant here aren't you? Greta is an easy target for that in fairness.

Well I haven’t carried out extensive research as to the trustworthiness of institutions worldwide but the UN, EU and British parliament are hardly to be held up as paragons of virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Capra wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think Greta Thunberg is a plant by ExxonMobil or Shell. I've never before seen anyone as unlikeable put forward as the spokesperson of a campaign. I watched he 5 minute speech there and it was awful. She is a horrible little tramp. How could anyone who isn't already on her side be expected to like her? Nasty, humourless, angry, etc. These are not traits that win people over to your side of the argument.

Has anyone so young ever been so shrill?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Greta looked on the verge of a breakdown from what I saw on the news.
    If anyone gave a sh1t about Greta they would pull her back from all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Greta needs new writers

She sounded deranged today

Did a lot of damage to her cause

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Suttree wrote: »
    You're a psychopath.

Sounds like the sort of level headed, rational response one of her followers would give alright.

• Advertisement

for a poster called tell me how you sure think people have to answer all your questions huh

You don't understand how discussion forums work do you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement