Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

1million people waiting to see a consultant and we're worried about it maybe getting a little warmer in Athlone in a few hundred years.
    The more this crap goes on the closer our Trump moment comes and I'll welcome it. It's time to drain the swamp.

Yeah, Peter Casey did well in his last elections didn't he.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mebuntu wrote: »
    The more I think about it, Governments and the likes of the UN should not be giving credence to the crazy rantings of a child by giving her access to address them. The hypocritical part is that they all know she's talking hysterical nonsense but all are terrified to say it in public.

The Emperors New Clothes syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

joe40 wrote: »
    The IPCC reports and the opinions of the world's climate scientists are non ambiguous, climate change is a major problem facing the world. If people don't want to accept that fine, but using a 16 year old as your reason is cowardly.Climate change is either a problem or its not, individuals have to choose their position. Greta Thurberg is ultimately a sideshow and should not be a major influence either way.The consensus of scientific opinion should be.

This is a thread about gretas voyage to the new world, get over it. And bull**** - no one here is "using a 16 year old". That you would throw rubbish like that by way of reply says more about your style of posting than anything else.

Who said what the IPCC are detailing is ambiguous?

How many times does stuff like this have to be detailed?

This from greta:
    :"Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it."

This is what one of the scientists responsible for the IPCC report said.
    Please stop saying something globally bad is going to happen in 2030. Bad stuff is already happening and every half a degree of warming matters, but the IPCC does not draw a “planetary boundary” at 1.5°C beyond which lie climate dragons.

Gretas spouting is unfortunately being touted as fact. If you do not like others pointing that out - tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yeah, Peter Casey did well in his last elections didn't he.

I wouldn't call 340,000 votes insignificant. I didn't vote for him happy enough with Yoda.
    Someone comes out and tells me they want less taxes, less government control and there building a wall to keep Greta out they'll get my vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Is it possible Greta Thunberg is doing more harm than good to the climate change debate?

Here's a post I made two months ago in the cryptocurrency forum in response to people discussing the energy wastage. I think it's a reasonable, logical basepoint from which to form one's opinion of this issue. I hadn't even opened this thread before I saw what was happening over the weekend and felt obliged to comment-something very manipulative, opportunistic and insidious, being orchestrated by people with an agenda that goes beyond the immediate problem.
    sabat wrote: »
    Getting very off-topic here but (a) are fossil fuels infinite? (b) is it a good idea to tear open the planet and burn it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Is it possible Greta Thunberg is doing more harm than good to the climate change debate?
    I haven't seen her deliver it in person but read what she said. Not what one would call a helpful contribution and I would wonder whether being at the centre of all of this has taken its toll emotionally.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    The more I think about it, Governments and the likes of the UN should not be giving credence to the crazy rantings of a child by giving her access to address them. The hypocritical part is that they all know she's talking hysterical nonsense but all are terrified to say it in public.

So, if I understand you correctly, the EU, the UN, US congress, UK Parliament, amongst others are too terrified to not allow Greta to speak.

Terrified of who should they not allow her to do so can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

I'm beginning to think Greta Thunberg is a plant by ExxonMobil or Shell. I've never before seen anyone as unlikeable put forward as the spokesperson of a campaign. I watched he 5 minute speech there and it was awful. She is a horrible little tramp. How could anyone who isn't already on her side be expected to like her? Nasty, humourless, angry, etc. These are not traits that win people over to your side of the argument.

So, if I understand you correctly, the EU, the UN, US congress, UK Parliament, amongst others are too terrified to not allow Greta to speak.

Terrified of who should they not allow her to do so can I ask?
    I think the point is that they are not comfortable commenting on it it all in public. She can say what she likes.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think the point is that they are not comfortable commenting on it it all in public. She can say what she likes.

Same question, why wouldn't they be comfortable?

• Advertisement

Capra wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think Greta Thunberg is a plant by ExxonMobil or Shell. I've never before seen anyone as unlikeable put forward as the spokesperson of a campaign. I watched he 5 minute speech there and it was awful. She is a horrible little tramp. How could anyone who isn't already on her side be expected to like her? Nasty, humourless, angry, etc. These are not traits that win people over to your side of the argument.
    In fairness she has not chosen to be the head of anything. Others have done that. The school strike idea did capture the imagination of kids and that's a good thing in its own right in the sense that it may produce a generation more mindful of the need to change. But there are no guarantees of that either.

Same question, why wouldn't they be comfortable?
    Facing down a child's opinion in public is not a winner for any adult. You just look like a bully. Usually letting them blow it off is the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This radical stop sign needs sail 'te fcuk back into school.

Yet another emotion-driven leftist pawn. Devoid of facts and detached from reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

She is a horrible little tramp.

You're a psychopath.

Facing down a child's opinion in public is not a winner for any adult. You just look like a bully. Usually letting them blow it off is the best approach.

That's a weak argument, they didn't need to invite her if they didn't want to.

They could have just ignored her should they have disagreed, you're suggesting that this very significant organisations are so afraid of her message, that they invited her in to their meetings to speak?

Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Trump got up and left 10 minutes in :pac::D I don't blame him.

EFKH3A1XUAAzOOj?format=png&name=small

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Dodgy Lou

Well she's an autistic teenager in fairness, being used by her parents. In a non clownworld you'd never have heard of her.

Anyway 10 years ago I was like her, always lecturing my parents. What an insufferable little twat I must have been. Fair play to my dad for not beating the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

What time is that sail boat due to leave back to Sweden?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

NSAman wrote: »
    What time is that sail boat due to leave back to Sweden?

She's going back on Bono's jet.

That's a weak argument, they didn't need to invite her if they didn't want to.

They could have just ignored her should they have disagreed, you're suggesting that this very significant organisations are so afraid of her message, that they invited her in to their meetings to speak?

Doesn't make sense.
    The UN has invited all manner of individuals down the years, she's just one more and she does represent a certain demographic. You seem to place an awful lot of stock in this speaking thing. A lot of people do a lot of talking all the time.

• Advertisement

Trump got up and left 10 minutes in :pac::D I don't blame him.

EFKH3A1XUAAzOOj?format=png&name=small

After analytically determining the merits of the argument no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

In fairness she has not chosen to be the head of anything. Others have done that. The school strike idea did capture the imagination of kids and that's a good thing in its own right in the sense that it may produce a generation more mindful of the need to change. But there are no guarantees of that either.

All that’s happened is that lots of ordinarily anxious teenagers are now gripped with an irrational fear not seen since the end of the Cold War.

After analytically determining the merits of the argument no doubt.

Doesn’t need that much brainpower to be honest...;) UN = BS

splinter65 wrote: »
    All that’s happened is that lots of ordinarily anxious teenagers are now gripped with an irrational fear not seen since the end of the Cold War.

True, but this new phase should be called the Hot War.

From irrational fear can come rational thought and reflection! TBH I'm more bothered by some of the very strident voices in the scientific world who have themselves a captive audience.

Really? And who do you think are trusted institutions which exist in western society today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I don't doubt her sincerity but I do doubt the motives of some of those latching onto her crusade. This latest event is laudable in that it's absolutely consistent with her beliefs but still a gimmick in the real world.

Greta is very strong on this point, repeating time and again that she and other activists do not want praise or admiration, just action. I do not see her actions as a gimmick. She travels by sea (including freight ships) and not by air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Concern about climate change is not an irrational fear. It is a real and present danger. We all should be concerned.
    The IPCC are very clear in their warnings.
    In the same way when the americans and Russians were facing off in cuba it was far from an irrational fear. The world nearly faced a catastrophe. The cold war was not an irrational fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Really? And who do you think are trusted institutions which exist in western society today?

The majority of the counties which comprise the UN are not dictatorships. They even had a minute silence for North Korean dictator Kim Jong il.
    The UN is not some haven of righteousness. In is a “pit of snakes” as one writer put it.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Greta is very strong on this point, repeating time and again that she and other activists do not want praise or admiration, just action. I do not see her actions as a gimmick. She travels by sea (including freight ships) and not by air.

diesel/ heavy oil cargo ships that burn 400 tonnes of diesel a day, great way to travel. Any mention of this anywhere ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement