Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pauldry

No need for snow ice warning by met
    It's gone milder....ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

I cant understand how Dublin and Wicklow in that warning, must relate to melting snow with rain tonight above 400metres

About a .001% chance of snow in Dublin

Dublin & Wicklow Mountains :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    outlook for the next two weeks looks generally mild or close to normal temperatures and unsettled. Chance of slightly cooler weather between the 16th and 19th of February then it goes mild again. The westerlies continue with strong winds this weekend, then cool and showery to start next week. Unlikely to be lower level snow next week but some wintry falls could happen on high ground.We continue with the westerlies driving in low pressures from the west with cooler and showery interludes between, probably for the rest of February.

The slightly warmer than average conditions forecast I think would be more based on the lack of below average minina, rather than the strength of any daytime warmth. A worst of both worlds type scenario.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS which usually overdoes snow risk doesnt have a flake

15-574UK.GIF?12-12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very few of the models going for snow apart from a few flakes on peaks in Donegal and NI.

Hirlam produces a rain event for all of us.

hirlamuk-1-11-0.png?12-16

Icon similar to the Hirlam:
    iconeu_uk1-1-13-0.png?12-15

GFS very similar as well.
    18-574UK.GIF?12-12

Arpege again very similar:
    arpegeuk-1-12-0.png?12-16

The Euro 4 is having a laugh:
    euro4_uk1-1-19-0.png?12-11

ECM 06z:

rWIMHCN.gif

Hard one to call given that this front is coming in over a chilled air mass. I think higher ground in the NW will see something for a short period of time, but I'd not bet my diamond studded* watch on it.

*does such a watch exist?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Slieve bloom mountains this morning
    HDjrO11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin and Louth

South to Southeast winds will reach 50 to 60 km/hr gusts 90 to 100 km/hr, mainly in coastal areas and on high ground.

Valid: 23:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020 to 03:00 Thursday 13/02/2020

Issued: 16:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin and Louth

South to Southeast winds will reach 50 to 60 km/hr gusts 90 to 100 km/hr, mainly in coastal areas and on high ground.

Valid: 23:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020 to 03:00 Thursday 13/02/2020

Issued: 16:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020

That's an odd one. Warning for 4 hours in just two counties.

• Advertisement

That's an odd one. Warning for 4 hours in just two counties.

Short alright .Area of low pressure moving up over the country.Dublin Airport TAF gives gusts up to 40 knots between midnight and 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Calm and dry in Dublin 2.
    Its lovely pm.
    Seems odd not to be fighting a gust or wind as of late ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Temperatures dropping here in south Laois. This afternoon we reached 7.2c. Currently 4.9c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Temp is currently 2.9c here in my area of meath, from 8.6c today, feels milder though

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Valid: 18:00 Wednesday 12/02/2020 to 02:00 Thursday 13/02/2020

Updated: 17:32 Wednesday 12/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Absolutely pouring down in cork city for the last half an hour. As if things weren't waterlogged enough. A long dry spell is badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

. A long dry spell is badly needed.

We need a major pattern change for this to happen. The Atlantic has thrown everything it can at us for the past 5 to 6 months with barely any interruption. We've had a few dry days since mid September and a very short lived high pressure, which hasn't really done anything to dry out the saturated land.

Any high pressure's in this current set up are very short lived, not lasting more than a few days. We would need a good 3 to 4 weeks of relatively dry conditions to dry out the land to any great extent. March is just around the corner and that is often a very wet month and the westerlies are set to continue for the rest of February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

January was actually quite a bit drier than average despite the westerly influence. We got away with murder honestly.

Gonzo wrote: »
    We need a major pattern change for this to happen. The Atlantic has thrown everything it can at us for the past 5 to 6 months with barely any interruption. We've had a few dry days since mid September and a very short lived high pressure, which hasn't really done anything to dry out the saturated land.

Any high pressure's in this current set up are very short lived, not lasting more than a few days. We would need a good 3 to 4 weeks of relatively dry conditions to dry out the land to any great extent. March is just around the corner and that is often a very wet month and the westerlies are set to continue for the rest of February.

Not great to hear that. Still bucketing down in cork city, longest heavy spell of rain ive seen in a while. Bouncing off the cars. Well heres to hoping March bucks it usual trend and becomes a dry one, unlikely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wicklow mountains covered in Snow when I saw them from the bridge over the Dargle this afternoon. Is this rain thats currently started and set to fall for the next few hours, is it failing as snow up the Wicklow mountains and top up whats up there big time or is it going to fall as rain up there too and wash all the snow away?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    January was actually quite a bit drier than average despite the westerly influence. We got away with murder honestly.

I would hate to think what the ground would be like if January continued with the autumn/early winter deluges. I don't think February will be as wet as the autumn months but with not much dryness around, every bit of rain we get just keeps the saturated ground going!

• Advertisement

Up to 11.6mm of rain so far from this system in cork city and still coming down. Winds picking up slightly now too so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Serious lightning showing up on the radar off the west coast.

Very heavy band of rain from Galway down towards Cork moving East/NE. recent lightning south of Kinsale

Have my blinds open watching TV, parents have velux windows in the kitchen. It's like somebody tipped over a bucket and it all just fell down. I never saw such a heavy downpour as I just did you couldn't see. Lasted about 10 seconds before returning to normal rain but it's like it all just came down as one big area of water. Don't even know how to describe it really because I never saw rain that heavy even during thunder storms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

Calibos wrote: »
    Wicklow mountains covered in Snow when I saw them from the bridge over the Dargle this afternoon. Is this rain thats currently started and set to fall for the next few hours, is it failing as snow up the Wicklow mountains and top up whats up there big time or is it going to fall as rain up there too and wash all the snow away?

Rain except for the highest peaks, Kippure etc might get a top-up.

Unreal wind and rain in Cork city at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Mental in North cork

Brendan howlin'😂 in Cork at the moment, torrential rain also....well his predecessor or something.

10pm
    Cork airport gusting 39 knots in moderate rain. one thing to note at 9.30 pressure was 991hpa , at 10pm its 989hpa. dropping quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Vicious gusts and driving rain in East Cork, some flashes of lightning out to sea as well.

• Advertisement

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Vicious gusts and driving rain in East Cork, some flashes of lightning out to sea as well.

Lots out to sea off the South coast alright.

1030pm

Shannon Airport gusting 51 knots with the wind varying between south east and south west.

Cork airport temp dropped from 7 to 4 in half an hour. TAF Also updated at 21:48, strange time. Seems to have added thunderstorm possibility?

Cork airport temp dropped from 7 to 4 in half an hour. TAF Also updated at 21:48, strange time. Seems to have added thunderstorm possibility?

and a wind shift from South easterly to South westerly.Rain band gone through. the showers following could also be heavy.

Radar image from about an hour ago. Shows just how crap the coverage is over Ireland.

Jacei6R.png

With the intensity of that rain band suddenly increasing as it crosses a thin, straight line that lies from Sligo to Waterford.

New Moon

and a wind shift from South easterly to South westerly.Rain band gone through. the showers following could also be heavy.

Just had one, heavy enough and surprisingly sleety in nature possibly almost melted hail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Radar image from about an hour ago. Shows just how crap the coverage is over Ireland.

Jacei6R.png

With the intensity of that rain band suddenly increasing as it crosses a thin, straight line that lies from Sligo to Waterford.

HAARP

No, it looks to be a software glitch. The radar over Wales is doing it too.

Gusty winds and heavy rain has arrived in Kildare now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

A lot of snow drifts on the hills around Croghan west of Arklow still
    Some fields are almost all covered
    Not washed away
    There must have been a lot up there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A more than welcome dry day in Mayo. Slight northerly breeze with a touch of coolness to it but pleasant to be out and about in it.
    7c.

In awe of Mother Nature

B5-F22372-62-E6-4214-896-E-A7447-D467-B35.jpg

5-A312-D9-E-9-B2-D-47-F9-82-A6-355-FBBA601-CF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

100.2 mm of rain for the year here in my area of meath, and its cloudy breezy and misty this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yeah another horrible horrible day in the Emerald Isle. Dull overcast windy wet. It’s never ending and then our laughable spring and joke of a summer to come where we pretend that 16 degrees and cloudy is somehow nice weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yeah another horrible horrible day in the Emerald Isle. Dull overcast windy wet. It’s never ending and then our laughable spring and joke of a summer to come where we pretend that 16 degrees and cloudy is somehow nice weather!

And then we get 2/3 days of sunshine and the drought merchants are out in force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Welcome back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

It's obvious you hate almost every aspect of our climate/weather. I understand that for the most part........ it can be pretty desperate. Alas we can't change it, we can only change our attitude towards it.

Honest question: Have you ever considered moving somewhere else?
    It just doesn't seem to suit you here and couldn't be good for your mental health long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sideswipe wrote: »
    It's obvious you hate almost every aspect of our climate/weather. I understand that for the most part........ it can be pretty desperate. Alas we can't change it, we can only change our attitude towards it.

It just doesn't seem to suit you here and couldn't be good for your mental health long term.

I am similar to Clonmel with attitudes to weather. I just like to moan about it because it's so bloody disappointing, all the time. My family and friends are here and a good standard of living, but if you love the sun and warmth, and have lived in warm countries, it's hard not to be disappointed, constantly, in Ireland.
    The weather is fine here most of the time, winter was a piece of p*ss here this year, although it isn't over yet. It's summer that kills me. Every bloody year it's terrible, it's the hope that kills me. Even in the great summer in 2018, come the end of July it went back to normal for August and Sept.
    Warm today though for Feb, and have clothes on the line, so could be worse!

sideswipe wrote: »

To be fair the past 6 to 7 months have been brutal with no let up of the Atlantic conditions, it's been groundhog day more or less most days since September 20th bar a few exceptions. This has to be one of the most prolonged zonal patterns we have had in a long time without interruption. We know the weather here isn't always like that as 2018 was a shining example of varied and more seasonal weather.

Unfortunately the form horse for this country is the relentless Atlantic onslaught of cloud, mist, cool/mild temperatures, wind and rain. It can genuinely make people feel fed up as they spend the majority of time indoors. Heading outside for a one hour walk every day can do wonders for all of us, but it's not always that easy to find a spare hour per day to do this, especially if you work in the city and when you do get the time, it's usually raining!

Flying to warmer climates or a break in very warm or hot temperatures is also very good to do, I really think everyone needs a break from the Atlantic muck at least a few weeks per year (2 weeks abroad plus a few weeks break from it here in Ireland if we are lucky).

Ireland is a great country, sadly our weather is not that inviting, but when we do get a week of warm and sunny conditions across the country in the summer, it transforms our country into something even more spectacular and lifts everyone's spirits!

km79 wrote: »
    And then we get 2/3 days of sunshine and the drought merchants are out in force

Roll on a cool, wet summer! :p

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

From MT's daily forecast, suggesting mild weather to the end of February, it would appear that any chance of a winter has gone for Dublin this year, unless it arrives in March!

• Advertisement
Advertisement