Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

40 to 50 kmh gusting 74kmh in Arklow at the moment Southwest

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Some chaotic winds last night, wind took slates of tiles from a neighbours roof. Tree down around the corner from me too, reminded me of this crazy morning.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/south-dublin-residents-avoided-a-tornado-last-month-212713.html

Seems to be a squall line about to move into the Dublin region on the latest radar images.

499728.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

catrat12 wrote: »
    Is there honestly no warning for Dublin or Dublin mountains worst I have seen it since Ophelia and can’t see any warnings in place.
    We had a bad night during the week too and no warning.
    Yet we had an amber a while back for a storm that never happened, that’s why I don’t get it sometimes.
    Sorry for my rant but it’s just I can barely step outside my door, the gap in glencullen is closed today due to wind they posted a video on there instagram page showing how bad it is.
    Sorry about the rant

Wind speeds aren't warning criteria.

Also, how many times have I heard this 'worst since Ophelia', it just goes to show that no warning system will even come close to pleasing everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So .. in carrigaline. Just wondering is this rain/wind we have now and the last while to continue for the day here and across the country?

• Advertisement

aidanodr wrote: »
    So .. in carrigaline. Just wondering is this rain/wind we have now and the last while to continue for the day here and across the country?

www.met.ie
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055579971/1/#post60486373

No, it'll clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Calming slowly and brightening noticeably.

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I was out in Dublin the past few hours, rain only started in the past hour. It’s windy out there but hardly storm material

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrible day here in Meath, pouring rain.

Quite windy in west Mayo it seems overnight. Sister sent me some pics of tree branches down near the parent's house. Second time in about 3 weeks this has happened. Trees in question have endured many winters intact up to now. Type of pine tree I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pad199207

Brutal day in Kildare with heavy rain

11mm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry here in Castlebar after a wet night/morning. Cloud base lifting allowing some brightness through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pad199207

STORM BRENDAN HAS BEEN NAMED

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

As Storm Brendan tracks to the northwest of Ireland, southerly winds veering southwesterly will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h, highest in coastal areas.

There is a significant risk of coastal flooding due to the combination of high spring tides and storm surge.

Valid: 07:00 Monday 13/01/2020 to 23:59 Monday 13/01/2020

Issued: 15:00 Saturday 11/01/2020

Status Orange - Wind warning for Wexford, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford

As Storm Brendan tracks to the northwest of Ireland, southerly winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h, highest in coastal areas.

There is a significant risk of coastal flooding due to the combination of high spring tides and storm surge.

Valid: 07:00 Monday 13/01/2020 to 15:00 Monday 13/01/2020

01-E3-D60-F-A9-EF-4264-B681-2-E68-EF62-DFCF.jpg

JCX BXC wrote: »

No sign of that here in Carrigaline .. constant since before lunch today and heavier now .. Dark

pad199207 wrote: »
    STORM BRENDAN HAS BEEN NAMED

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

As Storm Brendan tracks to the northwest of Ireland, southerly winds veering southwesterly will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h, highest in coastal areas.

Status Orange - Wind warning for Wexford, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford

As Storm Brendan tracks to the northwest of Ireland, southerly winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h, highest in coastal areas.

Valid: 07:00 Monday 13/01/2020 to 15:00 Monday 13/01/2020

01-E3-D60-F-A9-EF-4264-B681-2-E68-EF62-DFCF.jpg

Now its this:

storm-brendan-13012020.jpg

aidanodr wrote: »
    Now its this:

storm-brendan-13012020.jpg

Yellow added

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon and Tipperary

As Storm Brendan tracks to the northwest of Ireland, southerly winds veering southwesterly will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h, highest in coastal areas. 

There is a risk of coastal flooding due to the combination of high spring tides and storm surge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Good stuff. I think I need a decent storm to wake me up from the stupor of Xmas.

High tides on Monday are 6:43am and 7:14pm. And they are higher than normal.

SW winds could fill up those Salthill carparks....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 11/01/20 16.50 temperature 8°C
    H24PMAt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Certainly enjoyed the clearance from the west here this afternoon in Mayo. Took a ramble across the fields here and the ground is well and truly sodden from last night's and this morning's rain. It was certainly incessant stuff earlier on this morning.
    This eve was the first where I really noticed the birds chattering for the last half hour of daylight.
    Venus has also gained a bit more altitude in the evening sky in recent weeks. May as well enjoy this relative reprieve before we see what Monday has in store for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Good stuff. I think I need a decent storm to wake me up from the stupor of Xmas.

High tides on Monday are 6:43am and 7:14pm. And they are higher than normal.

SW winds could fill up those Salthill carparks....

Yep flooding potential storm damage difficult commute can’t wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

You don't have the same opinion.

This has been established with years, I don't think we need to discuss it everytime!

we don't care anymore about your opinion. Great peace while you were away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

You don't have the same opinion.

This has been established with years, I don't think we need to discuss it everytime!

It’s a discussion board last time I checked?

It’s a discussion board last time I checked?

Within limits yeahhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I've just discovered WOW-IE on ME website. Readings seem to be at variance with latest reports from ME. For example, pressure at Athenry at 22:00 today on WOW seems to be 1006. ME says 1012. Am I missing something here?

Lissavane wrote: »
    I've just discovered WOW-IE on ME website. Readings seem to be at variance with latest reports from ME. For example, pressure at Athenry at 22:00 today on WOW seems to be 1006. ME says 1012. Am I missing something here?

Strange one, I've looked into it and it seems to have been 8/9hPa lower on the WOW-IE site for the last 24 hours. Fairly consistent in reporting the changes in pressure, however not exactly at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Strange one, I've looked into it and it seems to have been 8/9hPa lower on the WOW-IE site for the last 24 hours. Fairly consistent in reporting the changes in pressure, however not exactly at the same time.
    Thanks for confirming and glad it's not just me! It doesn't inspire confidence, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All quiet out here wind-wise. Heavy shower.

West Mayo offshore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lissavane wrote: »

The WOW readings may be station pressure, not reduced to sea level?

Advertisement