Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fryup wrote: »
    we don't get any severe frosts anymore do we?

we will always continue to get weather of all conditions for the forseeable future, it's just that Ireland so rarely experiences decent winters and summers due to our location. We will have more severe winter frosts, we will see another 2010, there will be more beasts from the east and there will be another 1982. However these usually only occur once ever 10 years here so maybe 7 or 8 major intense snowfalls per lifetime. Cold winters don't always translate to snow, we can get cold, dry winters too and we usually get about 2 or 3 of them per decade.

Last winter wasn't mild, it was exceptionally mild bordering on warm, and those are rare too, this year seems to be following an almost identical pattern with winter dailies of 12 and 13C. I feel that the peak of the winter warmth is over the next the 10 days or so and then things will slide back to normal towards the end of January and then a possibly cooler February.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Gonzo wrote: »
    If February or even March fails to deliver this year, then next winter is most likley to be somewhat more seasonal, it would be bizarre to get 3 record breaking warm winters in a row.

Don’t do that. It’s the hope that kills ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

At least there’s no salt being rubbed into the wound this year. It’s the same really across much of Europe where it should really be pretty cold this time of the year and Britain too where usually they would be getting decent cold interludes and we miss out which really takes the biscuit.

But the 18.7c recorded in Northern Scotland and the 19c in Norway really is astonishing. Something going wrong somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Kerry

Southerly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with occasional gusts of 90 to 100 km/h.

Valid: 00:01 Monday 06/01/2020 to 08:00 Monday 06/01/2020

Issued: 09:00 Sunday 05/01/2020

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Wexford, Cork and Waterford

In coastal areas, southerly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with occasional gusts of 90 to 100 km/h.

Valid: 03:00 Monday 06/01/2020 to 11:00 Monday 06/01/2020

Issued: 10:00 Sunday 05/01/2020

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    At least there’s no salt being rubbed into the wound this year. It’s the same really across much of Europe where it should really be pretty cold this time of the year and Britain too where usually they would be getting decent cold interludes and we miss out which really takes the biscuit.

But the 18.7c recorded in Northern Scotland and the 19c in Norway really is astonishing. Something going wrong somewhere.

The temperature anomaly is actually insane right now. We are between 1 and 3 degrees above average, most of Europe except for Greece is 3 to 5C above normal including Scandinavia and the entire Russian continent stretching from eastern Europe, through Moscow and all the way to the eastern seaboard is all well above normal. Much of North America is also several degrees above normal, so very little cold weather at the moment in the northern hemisphere. These warm Atlantic westerlies stretch for thousands of miles and have taken up most of the northern hemisphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭esposito

The temperature anomaly is actually insane right now. We are between 1 and 3 degrees above average, most of Europe except for Greece is 3 to 5C above normal including Scandinavia and the entire Russian continent stretching from eastern Europe, through Moscow and all the way to the eastern seaboard is all well above normal. Much of North America is also several degrees above normal, so very little cold weather at the moment in the northern hemisphere. These warm Atlantic westerlies stretch for thousands of miles and have taken up most of the northern hemisphere.

I really hate it when ***ing Greece gets the cold and snow. This seems to be happening a lot in recent winters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Expected today to be ok but it has been pretty terrible here in east Cork. Sheets of drizzle blowing in the wind all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

India even down to the capital is way below normal
    It was colder than us last week!

https://twitter.com/Petagna/status/1213823804201406466?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Russians had to bring in fake snow for their New Years Eve celebrations. It really is remarkable how far the mild weather can extend once the Atlantic westerlies take hold. This pattern will of course change, and i suspect that will happen just before the end of winter.

The Russians had to bring in fake snow for their New Years Eve celebrations. It really is remarkable how far the mild weather can extend once the Atlantic westerlies take hold. This pattern will of course change, and i suspect that will happen just before the end of winter.

I'm expecting this pattern to change towards the end of February as well, perhaps some cool weather to end February and a few cool or cold spells in March perhaps. The one thing I don't want is winter to be delayed and extended into early June like last June.

• Advertisement

I'm expecting this pattern to change towards the end of February as well, perhaps some cool weather to end February and a few cool or cold spells in March perhaps. The one thing I don't want is winter to be delayed and extended into early June like last June.

I’m a firm believer that Mother Nature balances herself out in the end. So that means a bitter spring ahead.....

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A fairly lively and gusty southerly wind blowing in Mayo at the moment.
    9c.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I’m a firm believer that Mother Nature balances herself out in the end. So that means a bitter spring ahead.....

When the PV breaks down - then the fun and games will begin, and the sooner that happens the better for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wow, surprisingly windy in West Clare, very loud!

Particularly noticeable as it's been so calm lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Wow, surprisingly windy in West Clare, very loud!

Particularly noticeable as it's been so calm lately.

Same here in East Clare just woke me up, which isn't easy to do.

Very windy in Kildare. Actually woke me up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very windy here in North County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable dark, wet and windy morning here, horrible morning to be getting back to the grind

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Think the Sun slept in this morning.

Yellow Level Wind Warning for Greater Dublin until 11am.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Think the Sun slept in this morning.

The only positive is that there will soon be a noticeable stretch in the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Max gust of 71kmh down here in Arklow
    The window I'm looking out looks like I'm in s car wash rinse mode

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭highdef

Tis just a regular breezy morning in Dublin. Nothing strong and no sign of yellow winds. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Weather front has cleared the west. Love that sharp transition to blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

RTE saying 15c tomorrow for Dublin. In January! Mad to think it struggled to get over 10c or so well into June 2019.
    Went for a lovely hike on Saturday in Wicklow, and the Sunday before Xmas, actually feels warm once you're walking for a while.
    For me "summer" is the most disappointing period in Irish weather as I love the sun and warmth so much but you're just continually let down with constant cloud and wind and rain during those months. It's definitely the worst time of year for me weatherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Blue skies in Galway now and it's mild.

RTE saying 15c tomorrow for Dublin. In January! Mad to think it struggled to get over 10c or so well into June 2019.
    Went for a lovely hike on Saturday in Wicklow, and the Sunday before Xmas, actually feels warm once you're walking for a while.
    For me "summer" is the most disappointing period in Irish weather as I love the sun and warmth so much but you're just continually let down with constant cloud and wind and rain during those months. It's definitely the worst time of year for me weatherwise.

Unfortunately we are perfectly positioned for mild, damp winters and cool, often wet summers with a relatively small temperature contrast between the two during poor performing years such as 2019. We just have to keep wishing for a lucky year where we can get a decent winter or decent summer. There is still hope for something more seasonal in February, but at this stage January is a write off in terms of winter, tho the last week of January may cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Unfortunately we are perfectly positioned for mild, damp winters and cool, often wet summers with a relatively small temperature contrast between the two during poor performing years such as 2019. We just have to keep wishing for a lucky year where we can get a decent winter or decent summer. There is still hope for something more seasonal in February, but at this stage January is a write off in terms of winter, tho the last week of January may cool down.

Oh the last thing I want is for it to be cold but I hate the summers here so much I spent half my adult life living abroad and plan on retiring somewhere warm if I can, it's no way to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

plan on retiring somewhere warm if I can, it's no way to live!

Yea, know what you mean.. Ireland doesn`t do winters or summers any more

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/espana/canarias/santa-cruz-de-tenerife/playa-los-cristianos.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Advertisement