Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The weather closing in with the darkness. Wind rising in high tone and cold cold rain with ice at its intentions.

Just brought all the boxes of supplies in from the ferry as it was starting; rain cape blinding me as the wind caught it..a race against the weather. I won!

A cold and loud night ahead...

West Mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Big dip in temps after mild spell.
    Full Moon 2⁰degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Ice on the windscreen this morning and again leaving work an hour ago, first frost since New Yaar's Eve and one of very few since that chilly week in early December. Nice evening now with a bright moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today has certainly being a shock to the system in the feel of the temperatures compared to the rather mild to tropical air we've experienced since Christmas Day.

The trend is to cool down but remain very unsettled. I have a bad feeling about this as it is similar to the north-west to south-east flow which gave us the deluges all through Autumn. I was hoping that the second half of January would go into a prolonged spell of High pressure with plenty of frost and fog but it seems that won't be happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The AWS reports a max of just 3.5c for this afternoon, the coldest day max since 3.8c was recorded on December 2nd last. Currently 2.4c in South Laois at 90m altitude.

• Advertisement

Chill and still. Very chllly and very still. The moon is dancing between dappled clouds.

Silence is moonlight. Bright and tranquil.

Harbour lights glowing bright.

Lovely morning.

west mayo offshore island.

Savage frost Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Cold, frosty and broken clouds in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Kerry

South to Southwest winds 50 to 65 km/hr gusts 90 to 110 km/hr, strongest on exposed coasts and hills.

Valid: 15:00 Friday 10/01/2020 to 11:00 Saturday 11/01/2020

Issued: 06:00 Friday 10/01/

The wind chill is intense out here. Just raw.

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Kerry

South to Southwest winds 50 to 65 km/hr gusts 90 to 110 km/hr, strongest on exposed coasts and hills.

Valid: 15:00 Friday 10/01/2020 to 11:00 Saturday 11/01/2020

Issued: 06:00 Friday 10/01/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

A lot of ice on the car this morning in Dublin 5. Haven’t been many of them this winter.

Baltic. Meath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Lovely morning in Galway but rain has arrived now.

Misread this and thought that you were in the Baltic,,,

Puddled with the weather....

Now we have two land yellow warnings, one marine yellow warning AND an advisory re spring tides and possible coastal flooding soon..looks to be an all night event again.

The map on met ie is very bright and active

Hibernating here; snugged in with no need to even crack the door open . Dwelling blissfully warm and quite content. Gale raging out there and solid water hammering on the outer walls . Winter in all its fullness

• Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Weather Advisory for Ireland

We are entering a period of very unsettled weather. Further warnings for strong winds and rainfall are likely to be issued in the coming days. A combination of spring tides and gales may lead to coastal flooding at times.

Valid: 00:01 Monday 13/01/2020 to 23:59 Thursday 16/01/2020

Issued: 14:00 Friday 10/01/202

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pad199207

Weather Advisory for Ireland

We are entering a period of very unsettled weather. Further warnings for strong winds and rainfall are likely to be issued in the coming days. A combination of spring tides and gales may lead to coastal flooding at times.

Valid: 00:01 Monday 13/01/2020 to 23:59 Thursday 16/01/2020

Issued: 14:00 Friday 10/01/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Atrocious afternoon in west Mayo,sheets of torrential rain belting off the window

in roaring gusts of wind, just another 15 hours to go.

lights already dimming.

ECM has a monsterous storm smashing into the south coast next thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

again as earlier in the week,an intensification of a core of very strong winds on the GFS 12 Z off the west coast onMonday - another day to watch...

ukgust.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,598 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks like we are gearing ourselves up for some snow potential (as well as strong winds) on Tuesday from this little system here

navgem-0-108.png?10-18

...which is something to look forward to but need a couple more days to firm up on the details :cool:

Could be a northwest event or more countrywide for a while later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Interesting forecast by Jean Byrne there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Interesting forecast by Jean Byrne there.

Didnt see it can you give me the cliff notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Storm 10

aisling86 wrote: »
    Didnt see it can you give me the cliff notes?

Talking about possible storm on Monday said they are watching it very closely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Very wet and wild in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

again as earlier in the week,an intensification of a core of very strong winds on the GFS 12 Z off the west coast onMonday - another day to watch...

Yes, and very well highlighted by Jean after the news this evening. Specially mentioned coastal regions of the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet night in cork city with gusts picking up over the last few hours every so often.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain making it's way into the W now, to get going proper in the next few hours in the W.

ggKQB9b.png

sGEMghX.jpg

Fbm8oMh.png

y2Ubbsb.png

t9zAX1S.gif

It has been deluging spasmodically almost all night anyways. At times so fierce it sounded almost like hail, on windows and roof and still at it.

Wild and wakeful out here.
    Not a pleasant or easeful night.

West Mayo offshore island
    Rain making it's way into the W now, to get going proper in the next few hours in the W.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Non-stop wind and rain here in Greystones all night. Can't wait to go outside and head to this exam this morning. :P

Daylight finally, such as it is. Dim and no mountains, just grey and drab. Wind has eased except for sudden flurries; rain has eased in between sudden hard showers.

I had perforce on Thursday to leave the bag of coal and a large box of tinned cat food out on the drive. Just too harsh to deal with more than the perishables Just now was the first chance to even bring the cat food in...It started heavy falls again before I could deal with the coal...the cardboard box was... interesting ;)

My small dwelling is marooned! Between two large pools... Tonto and I negotiated it; he turned back, Never seen it so bad and it is still raining and more to come. Deeply thankful they were skilled enough when they built the cowsheds opposite to know the weather ( 150 years ago) and to raise the demountable to the same level on a deep concrete base. It will soak in. No danger..

Getting darker again, and the rain heavier.

Hoping all are safe out there..

West Mayo offshore island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Is there honestly no warning for Dublin or Dublin mountains worst I have seen it since Ophelia and can’t see any warnings in place.
    We had a bad night during the week too and no warning.
    Yet we had an amber a while back for a storm that never happened, that’s why I don’t get it sometimes.
    Sorry for my rant but it’s just I can barely step outside my door, the gap in glencullen is closed today due to wind they posted a video on there instagram page showing how bad it is.
    Sorry about the rant

Advertisement