Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1046.1hPa and rising fast. Currently -2.2c at Durrow in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork airport reporting 1045hPa at 10am.

Dry bright morning here in cork city with lots of frost around. Ground and grass is white as are the cars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Meteogram for SE Wexford showing forecast pressure (GFS). 1048 hPa achievable later on tonight and through the wee hours.

xzZvrpL.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Derekon2009

A shocking mild winter to date for ALL of Europe, not just Ireland. Check out the 10 day forecast for STOCKHOLM......temps 5-8oC with night time temps 2-4oC so a frost won’t even be recorded. That will bring us up to nearly February........just to put some perspective on our winter.......

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭esposito

A shocking mild winter to date for ALL of Europe, not just Ireland. Check out the 10 day forecast for STOCKHOLM......temps 5-8oC with night time temps 2-4oC so a frost won’t even be recorded. That will bring us up to nearly February........just to put some perspective on our winter.......

D

It’s bad alright and things have to start changing soon. Having said that, we got our last BFTE the last two days of Feb 2018 so there is still plenty of time. Central and Eastern Europe often go into the freezer in February.
    With a bit of luck we might get close to the freezer but will probably have to settle for the fridge which still might be enough for some snow to lower levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Surreal pinky orange twilight luminescence here at the mo. Almost as if the light is coming up from the earth itself.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Derekon2009

esposito wrote: »
    It’s bad alright and things have to start changing soon. Having said that, we got our last BFTE the last two days of Feb 2018 so there is still plenty of time. Central and Eastern Europe often go into the freezer in February.
    With a bit of luck we might get close to the freezer but will probably have to settle for the fridge which still might be enough for some snow to lower levels.

Agreed! Still plenty of time I think and the weather can change rather quickly, we just need a wee bit of luck.......

D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Popping in and out of here the last few weeks ,it’s car crash stuff for the cold lovers, especially the f1 thread . Is it too early to start the summer 2020 thread ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rooney30 wrote: »
    Popping in and out of here the last few weeks ,it’s car crash stuff for the cold lovers, especially the f1 thread . Is it too early to start the summer 2020 thread ?

I thought last winter was bad for cold weather and snow but this winter takes the biscuit. Last year we were constantly teased with charts that never delivered and a SSW which failed to have any effects for us. This winter there has been absolutely nothing except the odd cold pub run which is completely mild by the following morning. There is still hope for February but right now we still don't have a single ingredient on our side.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Surreal pinky orange twilight luminescence here at the mo. Almost as if the light is coming up from the earth itself.

A little hint of that light in the sky here this eve but probably not as much as what you have. We got a bit more cloud as the day went on and that southerly breeze that you alluded to earlier certainly added a bit of windchill to proceedings today. Still a nice day if out and about and wrapped up. We did however get a lovely dawn and sunrise here in Mayo this morning. This followed a glorious evening sky yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

New high pressure record here today - 1046.4 hpa

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

footpath outside my house didn't see sun all day, nearly totally white still and slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Out walking this evening at around 4.30pm and nearly landed on my backside after slipping on a sneaky icy patch of a shady footpath about a kilometer from my house. (Limk City) Thought everywhere was thawed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cold icy start this morning here near Tralee getting down to 0.2C. Great Sunshine throughout the day with a bit of cloud about from the afternoon but harmless, got up to 10.8C here by the coast but was up in the mountains around Killarney and still ice in the puddles and a few icy patches tested my balance too like Comhra :)

On the way home this evening we were remarking on the beautiful evening sky that Oneric was mentioning, like pastel pinks.

4.9C atm and Bar 1045.8 hPa Rising Slowly

Getting the ice off the car early this morning.

Khjuvjq.jpg?1

W4ppLUP.jpg?2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Cold northwesterly looks a good bet at the end of the month. If I was living in the northwest I'd be optimistic of seeing some snow before the month is out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

rooney30 wrote: »

I think that will be the next car crash. All the cold bottled up in the poles has to be released sometime and it like to do that during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Beautiful two days this weekend, I love the crisp frosty weather. Just a question for those of you saying this winter is incredibly mild. I seem to remember a lot of north westerly’s this winter in November and early December in particular? As regards January-it seems typically cold for this time of year in the West. Probably close to average temperatures? I am open to correction as this isn’t based on data, just my own experience 🙂.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Will our record of 1052 hPa be broken?
    Its 1048 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

No better way to tour around on a sunny day than in the air, took in several airfields today(as we often do) , photo here is Mayo/Sligo border

Blessington Lakes Co Wicklow this evening

727-DC33-A-2-D03-4-F50-B730-3650-CEBFDFF5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Sunrise in Mayo this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Really lovely pictures here over the last day!

I think this winter has been slightly better than last winter but that doesn't say much, ice lingered in sheltered areas this weekend until around 2pm, which didn't occur last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mortelaro wrote: »

love your weather station - would love one like that I thought. So put in vantage pro 2 in google and it came up with one on Amazon uk site ......

£1,168.18 - EEK! :eek:

Um , Think I might just stick with my 25euro one for the time being LOL

500522.jpg

fantastic looking bit of kit though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

love your weather station - would love one like that I thought. So put in vantage pro 2 in google and it came up with one on Amazon uk site ......

£1,168.18 - EEK! :eek:

Um , Think I might just stick with my 25euro one for the time being LOL

500522.jpg

fantastic looking bit of kit though...

There is much cheaper than that out there for a Vantage 2. Johnstown in Kilkenny got one recently for around €725 or thereabouts.

This site has a sale on and is cheaper again: https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/complete-weather-stations/vantage-pro2-series/wireless/davis-6152-wireless-vantage-pro2-with-standard-radiation-shield/

Despite temps not below zero, it’s like a winter wonderland here. Roads are all white

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

pad199207 wrote: »
    Despite temps not below zero, it’s like a winter wonderland here. Roads are all white

Same here (Kinsealy) the roads are a bit dodgy though.

• Advertisement

Grass totally white in cork city and footpaths in my estate and others slippy. Very dense, cold fog too and a cold breeze ontop of that. Loving this type of weather.

Edit: just drove past the Lough and it's actually partially Frozen, first time seeing that in a while / most likely Feb 2018

Advertisement