Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes are no longer essential

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ya cause there is just no other way water can be got to those carrots

A question was asked, I answered the question. Gardening stuff is essential for those that grow their own. You may not like the answer, but that doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A question was asked, I answered the question. Gardening stuff is essential for those that grow their own. You may not like the answer, but that doesn't matter.

I was told gardening centers were closed tough because they weren’t essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,598 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If I order a size 8 - 10 coat online now.
    It may arrive to Tomorrow morning it may arrive next week.
    If it doesn’t fit my kid.
    I may have to pay to send it back and then wait for them to receive it and process a refund.
    Anything I’ve bought anything with a card and needed a refund it took a few days.

Sorry you meant they sent the right size but it didn't fit. I thought you meant they sent a jacket not the size you ordered

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Sorry you meant they sent the right size but it didn't fit. I thought you meant they sent a jacket not the size you ordered

Alright.
    You’d still have the same hassle tough.
    You might get your postage refunded but you’d be waiting around for the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’d have a point if there was no alternative other than growing your own food. If that was the case then I could see how gardening equipment might be considered essential, but because alternatives to growing your own food exist, gardening equipment isn’t essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

I was told gardening centers were closed tough because they weren’t essential.

Growing is essential, check out agri suppliers, they should have whatever you need, just because there's an alternative doesn't mean it's not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Sure just buy a size too big and they'll grow into it. Thats how people like me have the big bucks and aren't on the welfare. ;)

It might surprise you, but with some clothes, a « size too big », is still too small... especially items that are made in Asia.
    So, maybe the OP should buy two or even three sizes up from the get-go?
    Sure, why doesn’t every parent do this in the first place, I wonder? According to you, that prevents parents from ever relying on SW payment. Oh, how simple life could be!
    Why didn’t that idea ever catch on, I wonder?
    Perhaps due to the fact, that having to wear 2 sizes larger, might be rather uncomfortable for the child and the quality of affordable clothes these days prevents any longterm wear? But that’s just a guess, of course.

Alright.
    You’d still have the same hassle tough.
    You might get your postage refunded but you’d be waiting around for the refund.

Not in my experience. If it's their mistake there is no refund needed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

screamer wrote: »
    Kids more so as they grow so fast, last years stuff is either donated or doesn’t fit. Think outside the box, there are people who don’t hoard clothing. Also for emergencies like hospital admissions as already in this thread, there is a need for certain items. I’m not saying Christmas party dresses are essential but warm clothing and footwear, underwear, PJs are essential and should be allowed to be sold in the shops. I don’t know what is so hard to undeterstand about that

I don't understand how the clothes that were fine 2 weeks ago now don't fit for 99.99999% of the population. Sure you'll have extreme exceptions but feck it everything is nearly essential if we start taking extreme cases into account and going well that person clearly needs this now.

I actually don't care if people can buy a watering can and I'm not going to begrudge them one. But it's not essential really unless you are really too useless to punch some holes in a plastic bottle

• Advertisement

It's for six weeks, you'd swear clothing stores had been banned.

They have! Until the end of November! Which brings us into the winter months.
    My DS needs fitting winter boots now - especially in this weather and in the countryside. If you ever tried walking through ankle-deep mud in runners for a month, you can get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    How do you know what they have available if you don't have the internet?
    How do you collect if you don't have transport?
    How do you pay if you don't have a card?
    What do you do if you live in the back of beyond with no internet, transport, or cards?
    Such people do exist.

Why are watering cans essential in winter but scarves aren't?

One would have to be very unfortunate and most exceptional to tick all those boxes, and in any event I doubt such people were the numpties beating the shíte out of each other with chicken drumsticks over F&F knickers in Tesco Finglas during the last lockdown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Lolle06 wrote: »
    My DS needs fitting winter boots now - especially in this weather and in the countryside. If you ever tried walking through ankle-deep mud in runners for a month, you can get back to me.

I'm confused - why would you need winter boots for a car? don't you mean winter tyres? tyre shops are open aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

And you only thought about this issue now?? Or did you not think to plan ahead and be prepared?

If you were only looking to buy now (in a normal year) you would find it difficult to get boots anyways as they are usually in short supply by now.

Clothes are not essential in the short term...a longer lockdown maybe....but even still they can be bought online. You don't need to go in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Really. Then why did I have to click and collect a pair of PJs? The same PJ's that were put on her the next day after the staff cut off her stained top? A top that she wore as the tea dried into it?

Yes, a woman who we were warned by the consultant was unlikely to survive was there in the bed in a tea stained top for 24 hours but "every hospital has a supply of nightwear for these occasions"? Why was it that during the half hour compassionate visit the question was asked "why is my Mother wearing a dirty top"?
    Why did the changing have to wait until the next day when during that half hour visit the question was asked "why is my Mother still wearing a dirty top?"

I defy anyone to tell me that sitting in your car in a carpark, having been told your Mother is dying, and frantically trying to guess the size of a pair of PJs plus find the nearest place to click and collect in hope that she doesn't die in a stained top before you can collect them and get back is not urgent or essential but being able to pop across the road and buy a bottle of wine, a watering can, and a 2x4 is.

Plus - and this may come as a surprise to posters here - not everyone had the wherewithal to order on line and click and collect.
    There are people without access to the internet.
    People without 'cards'.
    Most of these people are elderly.

Please may I offer a solution against any future emergencies? I am late 70s and have had rushed hospital admissions. Not time to grab anything. So in the past I have kept a small bad packed. Nightdress ( I don't wear PJs), toiletries, anything I might need etc. or want if I had to go in urgently. As I had been doing very well, I had not thought living here to sort that. Hence the oldest shabbiest nightie on and nothing with me.
    Needless to say a small bag is now easy to hand to save my dignity! The gown was needed as I too had drips in both arms.
    One less thing to worry about when emergency strikes.

titan18 wrote: »
    I don't understand how the clothes that were fine 2 weeks ago now don't fit for 99.99999% of the population. Sure you'll have extreme exceptions but feck it everything is nearly essential if we start taking extreme cases into account and going well that person clearly needs this now.

Must be some new variant of covid making everyone outgrow their shoes overnight and without warning.

spook_cook wrote: »
    I hope you're limiting your grocery shopping to essential only. No sauces, no condiments, no drink of any sort (water out of the tap not good enough for you?).

People don't try on condiments.

I hope you're limiting your grocery shopping to essential only. No sauces, no condiments, no drink of any sort (water out of the tap not good enough for you?).

No crisps or sweets either, gotta follow those HSE laws (guidelines)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If hardware/ garden centres are still open wellies are grand.

Hang on this is Ireland if you live deep in the countryside and need to walk through fields then the mud will be ankle deep in the summer too

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please may I offer a solution against any future emergencies? I am late 70s and have had rushed hospital admissions. Not time to grab anything. So in the past I have kept a small bad packed. Nightdress ( I don't wear PJs), toiletries, anything I might need etc. or want if I had to go in urgently. As I had been doing very well, I had not thought living here to sort that. Hence the oldest shabbiest nightie on and nothing with me.
    Needless to say a small bag is now easy to hand to save my dignity! The gown was needed as I too had drips in both arms.
    One less thing to worry about when emergency strikes.

When my grandmother used be alive we used always have this done but if she had an accident you’d have to produce a new set of everything fairly fast.

It might surprise you, but with some clothes, a « size too big », is still too small... especially items that are made in Asia.
    So, maybe the OP should buy two or even three sizes up from the get-go?
    Sure, why doesn’t every parent do this in the first place, I wonder? According to you, that prevents parents from ever relying on SW payment. Oh, how simple life could be!
    Why didn’t that idea ever catch on, I wonder?
    Perhaps due to the fact, that having to wear 2 sizes larger, might be rather uncomfortable for the child and the quality of affordable clothes these days prevents any longterm wear? But that’s just a guess, of course.

Or order from a shop that you've bought in before so that you know the size? You realise you can't try on in the shop anyway? Honestly all these people thinking they are some special exception to the restrictions is part of the reason why we are back at level five.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Graces7 wrote: »
    There are always plenty of gowns

Not in my experience (I work in healthcare).

titan18 wrote: »

A lot of parents wait with buying the winter clothes for their children until Oct/ Nov - when the bad weather sets in.
    Winter coats from last year might still fit this year, depending on when the coat was bought and if the child grew a lot since then, but childrens winter boots do not fit for 2 winters.

Also, with winter coats, it’s often not clear in the online description how warm or heavy they actually are. Sometimes even the sleeves can be uncomfortable (according to my DD). Therefore, I prefer buying them in the shop - with the child trying the coat on.

I'm currently in a house full of legionella so no the tap water is not good enough for me

Antares35 wrote: »
    Or order from a shop that you've bought in before so that you know the size? You realise you can't try on in the shop anyway? Honestly all these people thinking they are some special exception to the restrictions is part of the reason why we are back at level five.

You do realize that different brands fit differently?
    How can one order online from Penney’s for example?
    AFAIK the changing rooms were closed due to COVID restrictions, but ppl surely still can hold the item in their hands?

Are you seriously telling me, that I think to be a « special exeption «  and don’t adhere to the restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

I think clothes are essential, but for 6 weeks, most people should be fine.

However - i bought about 4 pairs of Jeans in March (i buy reasonably cheap jeans as they happen to the make that fit, haven't found any others that fit!)- was down to one pair last week - (thankfully i was able to but another pair, and 2 pair of tracksuit bottoms a few days ago -as i was in the North, so the shops are still open - ps i had tried online but couldn't get them, as unavailable in the right size).
    I also had to buy a few warm jumpers for working from home - as in the office it was never necessary as the heat was always on - peoples needs change, peoples size change etc.

Close the area off to stop browsing, but there should be a mechanism that someone can explain to the staff member why they need something - emergencies happen

Shoes should definitely be essential - most people have one pair of runners, and a pair of work/school shoes - these don't last forever - you could get them caught in something and rip them etc. Children grow out of shoes too, and this can easily happen in less than 6 weeks.

I understand the fairness argument, but if it was really about fairness should online sales not be stopped too?

ablelocks wrote: »
    I'm confused - why would you need winter boots for a car? don't you mean winter tyres? tyre shops are open aren't they?

I am unaware that I mentioned a car?

The topic here is that clothes shops/ shoe shops are regarded as non- essential.

Yes, your car can still get new tyres, I think. My child however will have to do with non-fitting shoes or his runners in bad weather.

Antares35 wrote: »

You do realise the restriction on clothing sales within supermarkets etc is nothing to do with the Covid-19 restrictions???
    It's supposedly a protection to smaller business that have been forced to close by the government, supposedly if they force us all to shop on-line that will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

My tuppence worth is that some are under-estimating the rate that children can grow at - and I don't mean in 6 weeks - I mean in a year. A jumper that my son might not have needed to wear since last March (remember the beautiful lockdown weather we had?) - will definitely not fit him now in November. And you do not buy kids clothes with foresight as you cannot predict how they will fit. For babies, perhaps, but not for older kids. My son could wear 11-12 or he could wear 13-14. He can were size S in men's sizes in Penneys. I'm sure we and our hulkishly growing children will manage for the few weeks alright, but it is an irritation to find yourself caught short in something that seems so basic and yes, is essential when you don't have it.

I also have to defend the lady who's son has outgrown wellies. Living rurally without wellies is a nightmare and no, we did not need our wellies during the summer this year as it was incredibly dry!

Advertisement