Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes are no longer essential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Lolle06 wrote: »
    You do realize that different brands fit differently?
    How can one order online from Penney’s for example?
    AFAIK the changing rooms were closed due to COVID restrictions, but ppl surely still can hold the item in their hands?

Are you seriously telling me, that I think to be a « special exeption «  and don’t adhere to the restrictions?

Yes I do think you are trying to make yourself out to be an exception in the context of retail sales. Whether you choose to adhere to other restrictions is not my concern.

bladespin wrote: »
    You do realise the restriction on clothing sales within supermarkets etc is nothing to do with the Covid-19 restrictions???
    It's supposedly a protection to smaller business that have been forced to close by the government, supposedly if they force us all to shop on-line that will help.
    Then why are people complaining that shopping online is a bad thing because it too will affect retailers? It seems some people will just never be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A lot of parents wait with buying the winter clothes for their children until Oct/ Nov - when the bad weather sets in.
    Winter coats from last year might still fit this year, depending on when the coat was bought and if the child grew a lot since then, but childrens winter boots do not fit for 2 winters.

Also, with winter coats, it’s often not clear in the online description how warm or heavy they actually are. Sometimes even the sleeves can be uncomfortable (according to my DD). Therefore, I prefer buying them in the shop - with the child trying the coat on.

I get that buying online is tricky. Even when I know what I exactly want, sizing can be a nightmare but everyone knew a lockdown was coming. It wasn't exactly sprung upon us as there was a fair bit of time between the original call for it from NPHET and when it eventually went in, so to me, people should have got the stuff in that timeframe if they didn't already have it.

The rules might be crap, and in my own opinion shouldn't be there, but for a substantial portion of the population, clothing is not essential to be buying in the next few weeks. Most of us will survive with what I have. The logic around why somethings are non essential and others are is pretty inane, but I'd say there's more stuff that could be classified as non essential that are essential now than the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They have! Until the end of November! Which brings us into the winter months.
    My DS needs fitting winter boots now - especially in this weather and in the countryside. If you ever tried walking through ankle-deep mud in runners for a month, you can get back to me.

Whats a DS?? Detective Sergeant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stay safe stay nude...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

titan18 wrote: »
    I get that buying online is tricky. Even when I know what I exactly want, sizing can be a nightmare but everyone knew a lockdown was coming. It wasn't exactly sprung upon us as there was a fair bit of time between the original call for it from NPHET and when it eventually went in, so to me, people should have got the stuff in that timeframe if they didn't already have it.

The rules might be crap, and in my own opinion shouldn't be there, but for a substantial portion of the population, clothing is not essential to be buying in the next few weeks. Most of us will survive with what I have. The logic around why somethings are non essential and others are is pretty inane, but I'd say there's more stuff that could be classified as non essential that are essential now than the other way around.

I just think people got a bit of a land regarding clothing to be honest.
    The last time around most Dunnes and Tescos had their clothing department opened and they weren’t expecting them to be closed this time.

We got stuff in such as paint, flooring, etc to do up rooms because we knew the shops might be closed or we’d have travel limitations.

The list of what is essential and non essential can be a bit off as well.

My main issue is I believe place will be mobbed in December because they are so strict with the supermarkets now and we might have issues. If retail is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Graces7 wrote: »
    If hardware/ garden centres are still open wellies are grand.

Of course - but for double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There was a guy in UK protested by going shopping in just his jocks. Saw it online somewhere.

That's what happens when you Google images and wonder how you ended up reading an article.

It’s a commonly used internet forum abbreviation:

DH = Husband
    DS = Son
    DD = Daughter
    DC = Children
    DB = Brother
    DF = Father
    DM = Mother
    SIL = Sister-in-law
    FIL = Father-in-law
    OP = Original poster/ poster
    OH = Other half

... etc.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Yes I do think you are trying to make yourself out to be an exception in the context of retail sales. Whether you choose to adhere to other restrictions is not my concern.

Just because I would like to buy my son proper winter boots for walking in the bad weather, before the end of the next month, you presume that I (and ppl like me), somehow contributed to the spike in COVID-19 rates?
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
    It’s fine to buy wellies, but not other shoes, then is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

DH = Husband
    DS = Son
    DD = Daughter
    DC = Children
    DB = Brother
    DF = Father
    DM = Mother
    SIL = Sister-in-law
    FIL = Father-in-law
    OH = Other half

... etc.

When I was young there were no “winter boots”. You either wore welly’s, or as I preferred, you put plastic bags on your feet and tied it around your shin and wore old runners. I’m sure darling son will survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,885 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Directeur sportif

Just because I would like to buy my son proper winter boots for walking in the bad weather, before the end of the next month, you presume that I (and ppl like me), somehow contributed to the spike in COVID-19 rates?
    That makes no sense whatsoever.
    It’s fine to buy wellies, but not other shoes, then is it?

Why are you being so defensive? You asked me if I thought you are making yourself out to be an exception and I said yes, I do think that. As for your invitation down some kind of shoes versus boots rabbit hole, no thanks. I don't have time for that kind of mental gymnastics.

People all over making exceptions of themselves has contributed to the spike - not just you buying your son's wellies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Of course - but for double the price.

Double the price of what?

When I was young there were no “winter boots”. You either wore welly’s, or as I preferred, you put plastic bags on your feet and tied it around your shin and wore old runners. I’m sure darling son will survive.

Poor you!
    Where did you grow up?
    « Winter boots «  are surely not a new concept in Ireland?
    They are boots that are not wellies, but warm, weatherproof and comfortable fitting.
    You also don’t need to wear plastic bags in any way or form - just socks.
    Maybe I will get them in our local garden center. If they are so inclined as to sell proper boots and not just wellies. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DH = Husband
    DS = Son
    DD = Daughter
    DC = Children
    DB = Brother
    DF = Father
    DM = Mother
    SIL = Sister-in-law
    FIL = Father-in-law
    OH = Other half

... etc.

We must be using different internets as the only one of them I've heard of is OH :confused:

Graces7 wrote: »
    Double the price of what?

Of the shops we usually buy footwear.

o1s1n wrote: »
    We must be using different internets as the only one of them I've heard of is OH :confused:

You should broaden your internet usage and look up more forums 😅 There are plenty of parenting forums for example, where these abbreviations are common.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

The phone and collect link you shared with me appears to be for groceries or does it do clothes as well?
    Also it say they take payment over the phone.
    Do they allow you to pay in cash when you arrive in store for clothes?

At the moment I’m in the position where I can afford to wait for refunds and buy the next size up if I have to but not everybody is that lucky.

Yes you can ring your local Dunnes or another local store & tell them what you want and tell them you will pay cash when you collect it. Explain you don't have a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭ablelocks

DH = Husband
    DS = Son
    DD = Daughter
    DC = Children
    DB = Brother
    DF = Father
    DM = Mother
    SIL = Sister-in-law
    FIL = Father-in-law
    OH = Other half

... etc.

jaysus. never heard of that - but still don't get it - what's the "D" for?

edit - just read the rest of the posts.

you learn something new every day. still ridiculous IMOFWIW.

• Advertisement

You should broaden your internet usage and look up more forums �� There are plenty of parenting forums for example, where these abbreviations are common.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 24,885 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You should broaden your internet usage and look up more forums 😅 There are plenty of parenting forums for example, where these abbreviations are common.

What does the D stand for. Is it short for "the" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes you can ring your local Dunnes or another local store & tell them what you want and tell them you will pay cash when you collect it. Explain you don't have a card.

They should put this clearer on their website and they’d do fairly well out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭feelings

Sorry we don't all fit into your perfect world. Plenty of people (like me) with kids, who are struggling right now on their own with no help, trying to hold down a job. Twat. :rolleyes:
    PeterPan92 wrote: »
    It is six weeks. I'm sure the clothes people have now will fit them. Anyone with babies should have been prepared by the multi day warning we got this time.

Clothes are closed off as they are what people browse. Pick it up, hold it against themselves, look at it again, hold it again, flick through all the items on the shelf to find their size, pick that up, show it to a friend, hold it up once more, then put it back and move onto the next rack. People aren't doing that with bottles of Smirnoff or wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    It is six weeks. I'm sure the clothes people have now will fit them. Anyone with babies should have been prepared by the multi day warning we got this time.

Clothes are closed off as they are what people browse. Pick it up, hold it against themselves, look at it again, hold it again, flick through all the items on the shelf to find their size, pick that up, show it to a friend, hold it up once more, then put it back and move onto the next rack. People aren't doing that with bottles of Smirnoff or wine.

I always do it with wine I could spend half an hour looking at and picking up bottles. I obviously havent during the covid I have cop on but some people might forget

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The abbreviations are banned on boards (especially the parenting forums) which is why many users here wont know them.

As for your wellies, schuh and mandm direct stock them and deliver. Or google your preferred make and order from a supplier. As far as I can remember if you order before 17h schuh do next day delivery.

Regarding foot sizing, Clarke's do a foot gauge (10-15 euro) littlewoods and schuh stock them, you can measure your feet at home and order online.

As for the PJ incident, I'd be surprised if any 86 year old woman didn't have a blouse or some type of button down top that could have been used as a substitute. My parents don't do "loungewear" either but still have a collection of different styles of pjs. As a side note, during a pandemic I doubt a tea stained top is the top priority for any health care worker. I'm glad your mum is making a good recovery though.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who have found themselves in a pickle and have no clothes or shoes in their wardrobe to tie them over for 6 weeks. Or even the few days it takes for an online delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Ordering online? Is it still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Ordering online? Is it still going?

I ordered stuff from lifestyle sport at 21:30 last night, arrived this morning at 11:30.

So yep, it is.

Different shops have different delivery times though, the information is usually on their homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I bought afew things back in March as I assumed the Pakistani slave children clothes manufacturers might get the Covid and have to close down the factories. Then ofcourse I was outa work and had zero social life so there was no need to get "dressed up" so Im doing grand for clothes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

She named her son Nintendo, this is her nickname for him.

Advertisement