Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes are no longer essential

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Maybe I just wasn’t listening but I had no idea that the retail part of Dunnes or Tesco was to close ? I dont think many did actually

By the way a bit of a change today in my local Dunnes . They have cordoned off a lot of the clothes but open up the baby essentials clothes , night wear , hats and scarves underwear and socks

My Dunnes closed the drapery section last lockdown. Its upstairs so easy to do. They have always had a few foot in the grocery section for "socks n jocks" for adults and children.

My dad has a few hospital appointments coming up. He isn't one for dressing gown and slippers. Thankfully I managed to get him both before this lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,836 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My dad has a few hospital appointments coming up. He isn't one for dressing gown and slippers. Thankfully I managed to get him both before this lockdown.

Why does a man your fathers age not know what size he is?

2 items that could easily be bought online unless you are one of these Irish Amish we are hearing so much about

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Why does a man your fathers age not know what size he is?

2 items that could easily be bought online unless you are one of these Irish Amish we are hearing so much about

My dad is 78 with age related cognitive decline. He doesn't have a bank account and would be unable to navigate the Internet. Your post has reminded me though that I could buy what he needs online and wouldn't actually need to go in to Dunnes of Marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,836 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My dad is 78 with age related cognitive decline. He doesn't have a bank account and would be unable to navigate the Internet. Your post has reminded me though that I could buy what he needs online and wouldn't actually need to go in to Dunnes of Marks.

I didn't say your dad needed to buy them as you clearly said you bought them for him first time.

But ya definitely something you could buy for him online tomorrow if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Graces7 wrote: »
    Do folk not knit these days? A hat is fast and easy.

The thread title maybe needs to be " NEW clothes are not essential" ;)

Consumer society by design, fact of life, a lot of people are helpless - fact.

The minister said 'Clothes are not essential' - they didn't specify new or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Is there any homeware places open? I need pillows

Beanybabog wrote: »

Homestore and more are open for essentials.....I don't know if a pillow is classified as essential. You can order them online though, or maybe arnotts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Homestore and more are open for essentials.....I don't know if a pillow is classified as essential. You can order them online though, or maybe arnotts?

Yeah I can, unfortunately the husband had the covid and I just washed all the sheets duvets and his pillows- and turned out they were not suitable
    For the washing machine...
    I wouldn’t have classified a pillow as essential until right now!

Yeah I can, unfortunately the husband had the covid and I just washed all the sheets duvets and his pillows- and turned out they were not suitable
    For the washing machine...
    I wouldn’t have classified a pillow as essential until right now!

I wasn't being smart, I genuinely don't know what they consider essential and what they don't. Their Christmas decorations have online only ( that's kinda a no brainer) whereas pillows show in store stock, so you could chance it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Try The Range if you live near one. They've decorations, etc everything left open from what I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Maybe I just wasn’t listening but I had no idea that the retail part of Dunnes or Tesco was to close ? I dont think many did actually

By the way a bit of a change today in my local Dunnes . They have cordoned off a lot of the clothes but open up the baby essentials clothes , night wear , hats and scarves underwear and socks

Tesco had clothes closed off but Dealz is open selling all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Went to woodies this evening needed a plunger as the sink blocked up. It was a pretty sad sight. They'd basically all the Christmas stock out but cordoned off, and then a row of pillows and blankets (which I don't recall them selling before) and then the rest of the shop was normal from what I could gather. Place was empty anyway. But I couldn't help thinking... You could go and buy a toy for your dog, birthday balloons and a fake plant for your kitchen, but all the Christmas things were out of bounds. It just seemed a bit... arbitrary or something? I don't know, just seemed like a daft setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dunnes are doing click and collect now for their clothes and homeware

Advertisement