Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes are no longer essential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

spook_cook wrote: »
    Well when you look at the amount of people who've caught covid while picking up a tshirt, it makes sense... right, they've not just pulled this out of their arse right?

Or the hourly ambulances taking supermarket staff to the nearest hospital.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Bad planning by my 86 year old mother to get blood poisoning and go into septic shock requiring urgent admission into a critical care unit and her without a pair of pajamas with a top with buttons to her name.
    She needed a botton top as there were 3 tubes in each arm and a PICC line in her neck and didn't the silly old woman spill some tea down her front and they couldn't pull a clean top over her head as that PICC could not be removed.

No urgency to allow a woman not expected to live the dignity of dying in a clean dry top.

Sure order on-line and go click and collect and if she's still alive no harm done.
    :mad:

Every hospital has a supply of nightwear for such occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Bad planning by my 86 year old mother to get blood poisoning and go into septic shock requiring urgent admission into a critical care unit and her without a pair of pajamas with a top with buttons to her name.
    She needed a botton top as there were 3 tubes in each arm and a PICC line in her neck and didn't the silly old woman spill some tea down her front and they couldn't pull a clean top over her head as that PICC could not be removed.

No urgency to allow a woman not expected to live the dignity of dying in a clean dry top.

Sure order on-line and go click and collect and if she's still alive no harm done.

Sorry to read this, and these are the very valid exceptions that should be allowed, total BS from our government to disallow people who need clothing in emergency situations. Hope you’re ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

How lovely, here ya go love here's a pair of pajamas we had in the store, we took of Agnes who died so she wont be needing them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

No they don't. They might (if you are lucky) have a cloth surgical gown which might do for a day or 2 but supply is limited and there may not be a replacement available if it gets dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

Do you think many people are in that scenario? Should all shops remain open in the middle of a pandemic, in case one or two people across the country actually need them?

Don’t know where you’ve been hospitalised, you’d be lucky to have a pillow or blanket on some occasions in the hospitals I’ve frequented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Surely this is a bit overblown. Plenty of places you can order online plus we were given a few days notice of this lockdown so people had time if they needed something urgently.

Exactly. Some people relish in making mountains out of molehills, it's fairly obvious why this needs to be implemented

screamer wrote: »
    Don’t know where you’ve been hospitalised, you’d be lucky to have a pillow or blanket on some occasions in the hospitals I’ve frequented.

Ah Maryanne may only have experience of private hospitals.

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    Do you think many people are in that scenario? Should all shops remain open in the middle of a pandemic, in case one or two people across the country actually need them?

Retailers should be allowed to sell these items to people in these situations. But sure the old typical, who cares, suck it up. If you found yourself in that position you’d change your tune fairly quickly. There are emergency admissions every day and people need stuff for hospital stays.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    Yep, I’d class essential as anything you need to survive. Go outside these nights with no clothes on and I’m sure you’d be adding to the hospital pressure. Clothes are essential, idiot government.
    Yes, order online takes ages to get to you, may not fit, have to return. BTW, the stock for winter was just starting to arrive in the shops, so smart asses saying you should have bought before lockdown are also clueless, and would be the same gob****es laughing at people for panic buying.....

I bought a top online yesterday and it was here this morning! I live in the middle of nowhere. It even fit.

The amount of people who've caught covid from buying clothes?

Clothes are laced with Covid.

The amount of people who've caught covid from gathering with others....
    There, fyp

I bought a top online yesterday and it was here this morning! I live in the middle of nowhere. It even fit.

Well done you, lots of retailers have 5 day or more delivery lead times. I’ve never had next day delivery. Suppose it depends what and where you order from, still, warm winter clothing is essential this time of year, and should be classed as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

What I would have liked was rather than stopping the sale of clothes, instead prioritizing the essential pieces like pyjamas/underwear etc. My daughter is growing through a massive growth spurt atm and very little is fitting her. Thankfully I had managed to get some bits just in case when they announced lockdown 2 but if I had work that day or wasn't able to go shopping, we'd be in trouble.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

my boss wasnt impressed that I have come into work with my clothes are not essential look today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Floppybits wrote: »
    So as some as the wise asses on here have pointed out that you can order clothes online surely the same can be done for alcohol, they can just order it online or click and collect. Simples.

Not everyone has that option. And click and collect isn't allowed for non essentials, if alcohol was banned from sale in stores it wouldn't be allowed for C&C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Isn't this about small retailers that were forced to shut down, complaining enough about supermarkets taking their business? They got what they wanted. But now we're buying stuff online mainly from abroad, effectively exporting all the money comparing to spending it in the supermarkets where at least some of it would stay in Irish economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just think people find this all sort of weird and are just tired of it.
    The last time around you could buy clothes, etc in Dunnes and Tesco and this time you can’t and people were sort of surprised by it and weren’t expecting it.
    You’ve also to factor in some people were waiting for their Children’s allowance at the start of November and some people who may not be overly good with online ordering.(Yes I am aware some elderly people use online shopping but a lot don’t),
    However you can buy candles and Cushions from what I’m told in certain Dunnes.
    Saucepans, baking trays, etc but no plates or cutlery.
    The last time around you could buy little bits to keep the kids entertained at Lidl/Aldi/Tesco and now you can’t without having to wait a few days.
    Yes there’s lots of stuff in Argos and Smyth’s but not everybody lives near one.
    If your ordering Toys online for Christmas you run the risk of them being delivered when the kids are at home. It happened to somebody over in the Christmas forum. Courier told the kid enjoy your bike.
    People are also working to budgets and being able to ad bits each week with their weekly shop was helpful when doing the weekly shop. Yes I know you can save it until December.

Don’t worry tough if the shops reopen on December 1st we won’t see any crowds of people battling to get in and I’m sure everywhere will be stocked well with Christmas items that they’ll just be left with if they don’t reopen. (I know we’ll be fine for food)

• Advertisement

You should have the numbers to back it up so. I'll just wait here, shall I?

Hilarious. You do know covid is passed person to person don't you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Really. Then why did I have to click and collect a pair of PJs? The same PJ's that were put on her the next day after the staff cut off her stained top? A top that she wore as the tea dried into it?

Yes, a woman who we were warned by the consultant was unlikely to survive was there in the bed in a tea stained top for 24 hours but "every hospital has a supply of nightwear for these occasions"? Why was it that during the half hour compassionate visit the question was asked "why is my Mother wearing a dirty top"?
    Why did the changing have to wait until the next day when during that half hour visit the question was asked "why is my Mother still wearing a dirty top?"

I defy anyone to tell me that sitting in your car in a carpark, having been told your Mother is dying, and frantically trying to guess the size of a pair of PJs plus find the nearest place to click and collect in hope that she doesn't die in a stained top before you can collect them and get back is not urgent or essential but being able to pop across the road and buy a bottle of wine, a watering can, and a 2x4 is.

Plus - and this may come as a surprise to posters here - not everyone had the wherewithal to order on line and click and collect.
    There are people without access to the internet.
    People without 'cards'.
    Most of these people are elderly.

I think if watering cans and wine are essential than so are basic items of clothing like underwear, PJs, children's clothes.

How many people do you think are unexpectedly being admitted to hospitals at the moment?
    Do you think everyone admitted during a pandemic has the necessary items to clothing - plus a change - to hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

People won't be presenting at A & E with shopping withdrawal symptoms. The health system can't cope with essential treatments at the best of times, it's really time the health service was sorted and brought up to standard.

I feel sorry for Irish retailers, a lot of money will be going to non-Irish online retailers this year.

Drinkers dont cost anyone anything. The cost of alcohol related ill health is paid for the enormous about of taxes that drinkers pay.

Ah Maryanne may only have experience of private hospitals.

I'm talking about a private hospital. One miles from a Dunnes where I could click and collect but there are small clothing retailers nearby - all closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

con747 wrote: »
    Damien English was like a rabbit in headlights last night trying to justify how you can buy a bottle of wine but can't buy children's clothes in shops on prime time last night.

True and the blonde wagon didn’t press him on it when she had the opportunity to show the decision to be crass and unfair but of course the RTE weren’t going to go against their paymasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

I think if watering cans and wine are essential than so are basic items of clothing like underwear, PJs, children's clothes.

How many people do you think are unexpectedly being admitted to hospitals at the moment?
    Do you think everyone admitted during a pandemic has the necessary items to clothing - plus a change - to hand?
    I explained my understanding of the rationale between alcohol being "essential" earlier, and many other furthered that point by explaining the impact that people suffering from alcohol withdrawal would have on the hospitals. All messages you have seemingly chosen to ignore.

I am very sorry to hear about your mother, and hope she feels better. However, my point stands. There are not many people that don't have one or two spare pyjamas at home, or whose children wouldn't have a pyjamas to fit them. For those who do find themselves in such a position, the option is there to click and collect, or local shops in my area are doing a "phone and collect" service also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It is six weeks. I'm sure the clothes people have now will fit them. Anyone with babies should have been prepared by the multi day warning we got this time.

Clothes are closed off as they are what people browse. Pick it up, hold it against themselves, look at it again, hold it again, flick through all the items on the shelf to find their size, pick that up, show it to a friend, hold it up once more, then put it back and move onto the next rack. People aren't doing that with bottles of Smirnoff or wine.

People weren’t prepared because everyone thought it would be like the last lockdown where you could still buy clothes in Dunnes Tesco and M&S. it wasn’t specified that those stores would not be allowed to sell clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nope. I just think that if clothes are not considered essential then alcohol should also be considered non essential. Simple as that.

About 90% of the food we buy and eat could be considered non-essential too. Where do you draw the line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Let them eat wear cake.

Advertisement