Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes are no longer essential

Options
  • 30-10-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭

Great news to all the nudists on boards according the government there is no need for clothing. Get them out folks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Surely this is a bit overblown. Plenty of places you can order online plus we were given a few days notice of this lockdown so people had time if they needed something urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Oh no, I can't shop for clothes, except online, for a few weeks. Whatever will I do? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Floppybits wrote: »
    Great news to all the nudists on boards according the government there is no need for clothing. Get them out folks. :)

That's not what he meant. He meant that there is usually no urgency that you need to go out right now to get clothes, clothes can wait or can be bought online or over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

We’d rather not see your ‘floppy bits’, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I don’t want to see the op’s floppy bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

Damien English was like a rabbit in headlights last night trying to justify how you can buy a bottle of wine but can't buy children's clothes in shops on prime time last night.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,651 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I sense the need for a naked socially distanced flash mob to descend on a large supermarket to purchase Jaffa Cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭PeterPan92

It is six weeks. I'm sure the clothes people have now will fit them. Anyone with babies should have been prepared by the multi day warning we got this time.

Clothes are closed off as they are what people browse. Pick it up, hold it against themselves, look at it again, hold it again, flick through all the items on the shelf to find their size, pick that up, show it to a friend, hold it up once more, then put it back and move onto the next rack. People aren't doing that with bottles of Smirnoff or wine.

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    It is six weeks. I'm sure the clothes people have now will fit them. Anyone with babies should have been prepared by the multi day warning we got this time.

Clothes are closed off as they are what people browse. Pick it up, hold it against themselves, look at it again, hold it again, flick through all the items on the shelf to find their size, pick that up, show it to a friend, hold it up once more, then put it back and move onto the next rack. People aren't doing that with bottles of Smirnoff or wine.

Ah, here. Don’t be posting sense. Let OP have a little moan. They don’t understand that it’s unfair for a chain store to sell clothes while the independent clothes shop next door has to close for 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

There was a guy in UK protested by going shopping in just his jocks. Saw it online somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Jaysus we are really are a nation of sheep. If the close are not essential then alcohol can also be considered no essential and lets face it it is the availability of alcohol that has caused this second lockdown with people having house parties and GAA clubs going out celebrating and drinking from cups. It's not people out buying sock and jocks.

I see lockdown has affected peoples sense of humor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,168 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jaysus we are really are a nation of sheep. If the close are not essential then alcohol can also be considered no essential and lets face it it is the availability of alcohol that has caused this second lockdown with people having house parties and GAA clubs going out celebrating and drinking from cups. It's not people out buying sock and jocks.

Are you with the Vintners'?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You do realise alcohol was always available right? Straight through March to August, when the cases fell and we came down to level 2?

What actually happened at the very start of this rise? It wasn't houseparties. It was schools returning with no social distancing.

Are you with the Vintners'?

Nope. I just think that if clothes are not considered essential then alcohol should also be considered non essential. Simple as that.

M

There was a guy in UK protested by going shopping in just his jocks. Saw it online somewhere.

https://twitter.com/Mrtdogg/status/1320244379580334080?s=20

Nope. I just think that if clothes are not considered essential then alcohol should also be considered non essential. Simple as that.

Well, if the bottle of wine could be magically refilled, then, yes it could be considered nonessential. One can wash clothes and reuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

That's the one! Good bod too

Well, if the bottle of wine could be magically refilled, then, yes it could be considered nonessential. One can wash clothes and reuse.

Alcohol is not essential, drink water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What actually happened at the very start of this rise? It wasn't houseparties. It was schools returning with no social distancing.

I'm with you on this Pete, the Mammies yapping at the school gates, spreading gossip and Covid

• Advertisement

That's not a protest, as Tesco did not decide these measures. A protest would address the people who put this in place, i.e. the government.

This is a man going shopping in underwear to get some internet points and to go viral. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep, I’d class essential as anything you need to survive. Go outside these nights with no clothes on and I’m sure you’d be adding to the hospital pressure. Clothes are essential, idiot government.
    Yes, order online takes ages to get to you, may not fit, have to return. BTW, the stock for winter was just starting to arrive in the shops, so smart asses saying you should have bought before lockdown are also clueless, and would be the same gob****es laughing at people for panic buying.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,599 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

People won't be presenting at A & E with shopping withdrawal symptoms. The health system can't cope with essential treatments at the best of times, it's really time the health service was sorted and brought up to standard.

I feel sorry for Irish retailers, a lot of money will be going to non-Irish online retailers this year.

That's the one! Good bod too

Thank God he wore a mask!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The reason for alcohol being considered essential is that there would be the potential of increased hospitalisations if alcoholics don't have access to it.

Sounds crazy, but that's literally the reason and they're prioritising hospital capacity over everything else

M

That's not a protest, as Tesco did not decide these measures. A protest would address the people who put this in place, i.e. the government.

This is a man going shopping in underwear to get some internet points and to go viral. That's it.

He had his fun, that's all that matters, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Priorities people!

I am happy to drink in the nip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

There's several reasons alcohol will always be available such as increased domestic abuse, some people will turn to dangerous drugs, alcohol withdrawl is very dangerous, people will try to make it at home which is dangerous.
    All these issues will swamp the A&E departments which can't handle it.

8-10 wrote: »
    The reason for alcohol being considered essential is that there would be the potential of increased hospitalisations if alcoholics don't have access to it.

Sounds crazy, but that's literally the reason and they're prioritising hospital capacity over everything else

So as some as the wise asses on here have pointed out that you can order clothes online surely the same can be done for alcohol, they can just order it online or click and collect. Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

That's not what he meant. He meant that there is usually no urgency that you need to go out right now to get clothes, clothes can wait or can be bought online or over the phone.

Bad planning by my 86 year old mother to get blood poisoning and go into septic shock requiring urgent admission into a critical care unit and her without a pair of pajamas with a top with buttons to her name.
    She needed a botton top as there were 3 tubes in each arm and a PICC line in her neck and didn't the silly old woman spill some tea down her front and they couldn't pull a clean top over her head as that PICC could not be removed.

No urgency to allow a woman not expected to live the dignity of dying in a clean dry top.

Sure order on-line and go click and collect and if she's still alive no harm done.
    :mad:

Advertisement