Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes are no longer essential

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    This.
    There are items of clothing that are essential. They should be available. There is no reason social distance rules cannot be applied in a clothing store/dept. If it can be done in grocery it can be done in drapery.

My OH works in a builders suppliers, since lockdown she hasn't had a lunchbreak due to dealing with people travelling waaay over 5 km to pick out the bathroom ware for houses that haven't even begun construction yet.
    It's so busy they are taking on extra staff - this to deal with orders for bathroom fittings for houses where the foundations haven't even been poured - but that is essential apparently.

Every day she gets home (late) and first words out of her mouth are "lockdown me hole".

Where be this? I need to get the bathroom done and it is essential that I do it, it's driving me nuts. The house is built so that may speed up things .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hope those who just say order online don’t find themselves in a position in a few years where you’re relying on social welfare and can’t buy clothes months in advance and you’ve planned to buy a coat for your kid at the start of November with your Children’s allowance money to be told the shops are closed.
    You the order online and it comes in the wrong size. You then have to send to back and wait for the money to be refunded to be able to afford another one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Floppybits wrote: »
    Where be this? I need to get the bathroom done and it is essential that I do it, it's driving me nuts. The house is built so that may speed up things .:)

I'm sure if you google builders providers you will be spoilt for choice - they are all essentially open essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,833 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Are the likes of Dunnes not still selling essential clothes like underwear and t-shirts and stuff. They said last week they were has something changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I hope those who just say order online don’t find themselves in a position in a few years where you’re relying on social welfare and can’t buy clothes months in advance and you’ve planned to buy a coat for your kid at the start of November with your Children’s allowance money to be told the shops are closed.
    You the order online and it comes in the wrong size. You then have to send to back and wait for the money to be refunded to be able to afford another one.

https://www.dunnesstores.com/c/kids

https://www.dunnesstores.com/content/phone-in-service

Click & collect from Dunnes. You can also phone & collect if you don"t have the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Antares35 wrote: »
    <<snipping deleted post>>

There's nowhere to go anyway, sure why do we need new clothes. I managed to source everything for my hospital bag and baby's first six months online, amazing how the internet and knowledge of the fact that I had a baby on the way led to that. All they wear is vests and pjs for the first few months anyway, and they too have nowhere to go :D I don't understand why people are surprised when their children grow. My girl literally outgrew her newborn stuff overnight, but knowing that she would grow, and not wanting to be in a situation where we had to leave the house for new clothes, we had magically ordered 0-3 month stuff online! Re cost, Dunnes were selling a pack of five cotton vests for 7 euro.

That’s great and works well with babies.
    They usually don’t need proper footwear either.
    Our family is still active outside of the house and goes out and about within the permitted 5km.

Try ordering fitting footwear, when your child is a teenager and doesn’t stop growing !
    My own shoes were too big for DS a few month´s ago, but now he wears a size larger than me.
    We didn’t get him his own winter boots yet (since it was only autumn) so he will have to either squeeze into mine, or wear his dad’s even larger boots when we are out for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭ablelocks

PeterPan92 wrote: »

What actually happened at the very start of this rise? It wasn't houseparties. It was schools returning with no social distancing.

ah here.

in August, 14.5% of all confirmed cases were within the school age range. in september, that went to 14.9% and in October it rose to 15.6%

"schools are neither incubators or exacerbators of infections of covid 19"

- source : Doctor Abigail Higgins, Consultant in Public Health Medicine

reopening schools has had a negligible impact on the recent huge increases in numbers.

If it comes in the wrong size why would you have tow air for a refund? They should just send you on the right size

Click & collect from Dunnes. You can also phone & collect if you don"t have the internet.

How do you know what they have available if you don't have the internet?
    How do you collect if you don't have transport?
    How do you pay if you don't have a card?
    What do you do if you live in the back of beyond with no internet, transport, or cards?
    Such people do exist.

Why are watering cans essential in winter but scarves aren't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Unless you threw all of your clothes out before level 5 you should be ok.
    Also the option of buying online.

People giving out for the sake of it. Extremely weak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭cena

I don't really buy clothes in Ireland

ablelocks wrote: »
    ah here.

in August, 14.5% of all confirmed cases were within the school age range. in september, that went to 14.9% and in October it rose to 15.6%

- source : Doctor Abigail Higgins, Consultant in Public Health Medicine, HSE

reopening schools has had a negligible impact on the recent huge increases in numbers.

Please stop coming on here with your facts and scientifically accurate data ; )

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If it comes in the wrong size why would you have tow air for a refund? They should just send you on the right size

If I order a size 8 - 10 coat online now.
    It may arrive to Tomorrow morning it may arrive next week.
    If it doesn’t fit my kid.
    I may have to pay to send it back and then wait for them to receive it and process a refund.
    Anything I’ve bought anything with a card and needed a refund it took a few days.

breezy1985 wrote: »

Because sizes aren't standardised.
    https://www.news24.com/w24/Style/Fashion/Trends/vanity-sizing-unmasked-why-clothing-sizes-from-different-retailers-are-so-inconsistent-20190814

Many years ago I took my son to buy him footwear, we left the shop with size 12 trainers and size ten boots - both fit him perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Allinall

Phone them up and ask them.
    This problem has nothing to do with Covid restrictions.

Ask a relative or friend to pay for you.
    What do you do if you live in the back of beyond with no internet, transport, or cards?
    Such people do exist.
    This problem has nothing to do with Covid restrictions.

Nobody has said this.

The phone and collect link you shared with me appears to be for groceries or does it do clothes as well?
    Also it say they take payment over the phone.
    Do they allow you to pay in cash when you arrive in store for clothes?

At the moment I’m in the position where I can afford to wait for refunds and buy the next size up if I have to but not everybody is that lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Floppybits wrote: »
    Nope. I just think that if clothes are not considered essential then alcohol should also be considered non essential. Simple as that.

And what about those alcoholics who start having seizures, clogging up hospital beds when they can't get a drink??

Such people do exist.

If you had no transport how did you survive pre-covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

How do you know what they have available if you don't have the internet? Telephone and ask.

How do they food shop, ask friend, neighbour

How do you pay if you don't have a card? Cash

What do you do if you live in the back of beyond with no internet, transport, or cards? Telephone, friend or neighbour

Such people do exist.

let's ban watering cans too.

People need to look out for each other.

I have an elderly uncle who is living alone in the back of beyond and has plenty of people offering to help, he uses the telephone too, he is managing perfectly fine.

The people whinging probably have a house full of non essential stuff, they just want new stuff now. Greed.

Every hospital has a supply of nightwear for such occasions.

That doesn't suit the rant though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Unless you threw all of your clothes out before level 5 you should be ok.
    Also the option of buying online.

People giving out for the sake of it. Extremely weak

There’s a fair amount of that alright, but there are some legitimate circumstances too like the examples that have already been given in the thread where a bit of flexibility and compassion wouldn’t go astray.

It’s silly to be arguing as though anyone has actually said clothes are not essential and imagine they have the right to go out in public in their undercrackers, that’s not what’s being suggested at all. It’s new clothes, are not considered essential, which is fair enough for the reasons already given - to prevent the spread of infection among the general public. Bit of flexibility and understanding on both sides is required.

As for the need for new clothes itself, I’ve put on about three stone in the last couple of months, so I needed a new “Winter wardrobe” anyway, and I don’t order my clothes online because I just can’t get my head around the whole online shopping thing. I’m just very fortunate that I was able to get clothes before they announced the new measures, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people complaining that the new measures have left them in a bit of a tight spot.

I think if watering cans and wine are essential than so are basic items of clothing like underwear, PJs, children's clothes.

How many people do you think are unexpectedly being admitted to hospitals at the moment?
    Do you think everyone admitted during a pandemic has the necessary items to clothing - plus a change - to hand?

If your reason for visiting hospital is serious, clothes aren't a priority.

I didn't ignore it - I am just not going down the rabbit hole of your choosing by getting into some x amount of people will suffer violent withdrawal symptoms if they cannot consume item b therefore there should be no further restrictions on the sale of item b however items d,e, & f which are essential for the majority of the population must not be currently sold for public health reasons tangent.

What is your argument for watering cans? You have ignored that.

And no, 'click and collect' is not an option for everyone.

People grow their own food in allotments/polytunnels. Watering cans are essential to water the fruit and veg that is being grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The vast majority of people have a selection of clothes already. Shopping for new clothes is non-essential. God forbid you have to wear last season's autumn stuff that everybody has seen already

Because sizes aren't standardised.
    https://www.news24.com/w24/Style/Fashion/Trends/vanity-sizing-unmasked-why-clothing-sizes-from-different-retailers-are-so-inconsistent-20190814

Many years ago I took my son to buy him footwear, we left the shop with size 12 trainers and size ten boots - both fit him perfectly.

That happens all the time with kids footwear. Every brand is different, too. The difficulty is that you only know the proper size of your child, if the child tries on the actual shoe.

Sure just buy a size too big and they'll grow into it. Thats how people like me have the big bucks and aren't on the welfare. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

I sense the need for a naked socially distanced flash mob to descend on a large supermarket to purchase Jaffa Cakes.

Or even a flesh mob....

The people whinging probably have a house full of non essential stuff, they just want new stuff now. Greed.

These are bold assumptions.
    We have a lot of « hand -me- downs «  in our house, but there are situations were you have to rely on certain shops to get some essential NEW stuff.
    We are NOT shopaholics! Nor are we « greedy « !

People grow their own food in allotments/polytunnels. Watering cans are essential to water the fruit and veg that is being grown.

Ya cause there is just no other way water can be got to those carrots

• Advertisement

Lolle06 wrote: »
    These are bold assumptions.
    We have a lot of « hand -me- downs «  in our house, but there are situations were you have to rely on certain shops to get some essential NEW stuff.
    We are NOT shopaholics! Nor are we « greedy « !

It's for six weeks, you'd swear clothing stores had been banned.

Advertisement