Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes are no longer essential

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The abbreviations are banned on boards (especially the parenting forums) which is why many users here wont know them.

As for your wellies, schuh and mandm direct stock them and deliver. Or google your preferred make and order from a supplier. As far as I can remember if you order before 17h schuh do next day delivery.

Regarding foot sizing, Clarke's do a foot gauge (10-15 euro) littlewoods and schuh stock them, you can measure your feet at home and order online.

As for the PJ incident, I'd be surprised if any 86 year old woman didn't have a blouse or some type of button down top that could have been used as a substitute. My parents don't do "loungewear" either but still have a collection of different styles of pjs. As a side note, during a pandemic I doubt a tea stained top is the top priority for any health care worker. I'm glad your mum is making a good recovery though.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who have found themselves in a pickle and have no clothes or shoes in their wardrobe to tie them over for 6 weeks. Or even the few days it takes for an online delivery.

Eh ...to note....the shoe gauge sold out absolutely everywhere online in early April.
    Clarkes don't have an online presence here (if you have small kids and want proper shoes for them) so you end up ordering from the UK.Total nightmare if your measurements (using pencil and paper as I had to last time) end up giving you a shoe size you have to return via Parcel Motel and then wait another week for the new order. Littlewoods etc, sold out of everything in every size.Kids summer clothes were very hard to source in many sizes in almost every online shop by May, last time.They were not restocking them.

What many adults really forget is that kids grow fast....they literally need new Summer/Autumn/Winter clothes every single year, especially if they are the eldest,or there are boys and girls in the house, hand-me-downs don't work then.I had bought winter coats and boots for mine with a view to exactly this situation occurring, having been badly stuck back in May, but if they grow out of shoes or boots in the next few weeks, I am in trouble.

It was very difficult as the weeks went on last time, I admit I felt they should have opened shoe shops at the very least much quicker.If similar happens now, it won't be any easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

shesty wrote: »
    Eh ...to note....the shoe gauge sold out absolutely everywhere online in early April.
    Clarkes don't have an online presence here (if you have small kids and want proper shoes for them) so you end up ordering from the UK.Total nightmare if your measurements (using pencil and paper as I had to last time) end up giving you a shoe size you have to return via Parcel Motel and then wait another week for the new order. Littlewoods etc, sold out of everything in every size.Kids summer clothes were very hard to source in many sizes in almost every online shop by May, last time.They were not restocking them.

What many adults really forget is that kids grow fast....they literally need new Summer/Autumn/Winter clothes every single year, especially if they are the eldest,or there are boys and girls in the house, hand-me-downs don't work then.I had bought winter coats and boots for mine with a view to exactly this situation occurring, having been badly stuck back in May, but if they grow out of shoes or boots in the next few weeks, I am in trouble.

It was very difficult as the weeks went on last time, I admit I felt they should have opened shoe shops at the very least much quicker.If similar happens now, it won't be any easier.

The gauges are in stock now on the littlewoods website along with start-rites version. Littlewoods also stock Clarke's shoes, you may not get the full catalogue but they have a nice selection. For my childs footsize there's 105 options on littlewoods all different brands and styles if we needed shoes I don't think we'd be stuck.

Personally I don't leave things until the last minute for the kids, from the time they were born I've shopped the sales, so in September I buy next size up summer clothes, in the Christmas sales I buy whatever in the next size up cos lets face it , winter clothes are worn all year round. It works for me as my kids aren't fast growers, apart from school uniforms the only stuff I've needed to buy is underwear and pjs for the eldest as he likes "fluffy" ones that only come out this time of year, and slippers.

Having said that if I needed to buy stuff I know dunnes and george sizing is close enough a touch big . Next , debenhams , M &S ,and mothercare are a lot bigger. Gap is close. That's for my children, I'm sure every person has an idea of how each store sizing fits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Clothes are defnitely essential.

They said I was fine to go out if I just wore a mask, but no. Definitely need clothes as well.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Clothes are defnitely essential.

They said I was fine to go out if I just wore a mask, but no. Definitely need clothes as well.

Definitely essential today! Brrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Ready for the day

• Advertisement

Ready for the day

Tres cheek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I think this is ridiculous I was in favour of the first lockdown back in March but not so much this one and this is even more ridiculous. If you go into dunnes or aldi or lidl - why does it matter if you buy some groceries or some other bits and pieces. Or why does it matter if you throw in other bits into your grocery shopping?

I see the special buys advertising is taken down from aldi and lidl websites. I haven't been in an aldi or lidl lately but my understanding is that the middle crates are empty or bagged up. That's absolutely ridiculous. Aldi and lidl can have some good bits sometimes and why does it matter if you can buy a tin of beans on one side of the aisle and nothing on the other. All this will do is cause a panic in some people come December when shops open up again. People will feel the need to rush out and do a shop whereas a lot of shops like - dunnes, tesco, aldi, lidl could provide people with an opportunity to prepare somewhat for Christmas.

Not everyone has access to Internet for online shopping and if you have a list, delivery charges will all add up because there wouldnt be an online shop that will be able to provide everything on your list.

Also who decides what is essential or not? I started experiencing a pain in my hand this week. Not a tremendous pain but a pain nonetheless. Its enough for me to stop and pause what I'm doing. I have it under control with some ibuprofen. A hand exercise ball or playdough or putty would probably be beneficial for doing some hand stretching and exercises and increasing circulation but someone some where has decided its not essential because its a toy. A tub of playdough would be in dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

owlbethere wrote: »
    I think this is ridiculous I was in favour of the first lockdown back in March but not so much this one and this is even more ridiculous. If you go into dunnes or aldi or lidl - why does it matter if you buy some groceries or some other bits and pieces. Or why does it matter if you throw in other bits into your grocery shopping?

I see the special buys advertising is taken down from aldi and lidl websites. I haven't been in an aldi or lidl lately but my understanding is that the middle crates are empty or bagged up. That's absolutely ridiculous. Aldi and lidl can have some good bits sometimes and why does it matter if you can buy a tin of beans on one side of the aisle and nothing on the other. All this will do is cause a panic in some people come December when shops open up again. People will feel the need to rush out and do a shop whereas a lot of shops like - dunnes, tesco, aldi, lidl could provide people with an opportunity to prepare somewhat for Christmas.

Not everyone has access to Internet for online shopping and if you have a list, delivery charges will all add up because there wouldnt be an online shop that will be able to provide everything on your list.

Also who decides what is essential or not? I started experiencing a pain in my hand this week. Not a tremendous pain but a pain nonetheless. Its enough for me to stop and pause what I'm doing. I have it under control with some ibuprofen. A hand exercise ball or playdough or putty would probably be beneficial for doing some hand stretching and exercises and increasing circulation but someone some where has decided its not essential because its a toy. A tub of playdough would be in dunnes.

I understand where you are coming from and agree with you totally.
    They give a variety of reasons for the items not being on sale.
    What is classed as essential can be a bit of a joke.
    Lidl and Aldi are still selling work wear and tolls and other essential items.
    There Christmas food range should still be in stock.
    I’m fairly sure all the special buys that were due to go on sale in November are meant to go on sale in December.
    It will be great fun watching crowds of people battling to get stuff on December 1st.
    Yep I know loads of people who don’t do online shopping but somebody will pipe up my elderly mother does it or get over yourself it’s only a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I'm seeing by-lines on newspaper articles and on social media all using the same phrase "Clothes are no longer essential".
    Wrong. "The purchase of clothing at this time is not essential".

Now, if you put in : pharmaceuticals; water; food; fuel, well then I think that could become problematic.

I disagree with the notion that under some sort of nod-and-a-wink agreement, urgent socks could be purchased because the retailer could show some compassion. Bullsh!t. The minute one pair is sold, every whinger in the area would be up to the manager "MY requirement is just as important as that person you sold socks to...."

You'd almost think we weren't in the grip of the worst pandemic to strike in a hundred years.

Finally, my rant is based on the assumption that the targeted bans are based on data that shows people are more likely to catch or transmit the disease when clothes shopping. I accept that at face value, because I'm not an amateur epidemiologist like so many other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

As long as I have a 5 mil hooded wetsuit with the latest bamboo charcoal interweaved thread's for the winter surf I don't really care. This sounds very selfish.
    But as a single father who's son's in his early 20's I remember those days when you couldn't have enough baby grows, socks, all types of baby and toddler wear.

Parents are dealing with enough than to be unable to get what they need.

Baby grows shrink in the wash, it's always handy to have s fresh packet too, just to know where to run after cleaning throughout a night of a baby or toddler puking or having a runny stage.
    It's hard work being a parent and the only reason they're closing off the clothes is to keep the high street fashion industry from having a total meltdown, there's two sides to the story.

I'd say if I looked hard enough there's still a few baby grows somewhere in the house.

I found a pyjamas belonging to him with age 3 on it, I haven't the heart to throw it out...

It's good to be away from it all the same though , don't believe anyone who says it's easier when they're younger, that's only momentarily and an immature reaction from a bad parent.

Peace out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,885 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CountNjord wrote: »
    As long as I have a 5 mil hooded wetsuit with the latest bamboo charcoal interweaved thread's for the winter surf I don't really care. This sounds very selfish.
    But as a single father who's son's in his early 20's I remember those days when you couldn't have enough baby grows, socks, all types of baby and toddler wear.

Parents are dealing with enough than to be unable to get what they need.

Baby grows shrink in the wash, it's always handy to have s fresh packet too, just to know where to run after cleaning throughout a night of a baby or toddler puking or having a runny stage.
    It's hard work being a parent and the only reason they're closing off the clothes is to keep the high street fashion industry from having a total meltdown, there's two sides to the story.

I'd say if I looked hard enough there's still a few baby grows somewhere in the house.

I found a pyjamas belonging to him with age 3 on it, I haven't the heart to throw it out...

It's good to be away from it all the same though , don't believe anyone who says it's easier when they're younger, that's only momentarily and an immature reaction from a bad parent.

Peace out

You can still buy baby grows and socks and the like. I was in Dunnes yesterday and they still had essential clothes especially baby grows and stuff.

So no one is dying from lack of a scarf like some others on here claim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

breezy1985 wrote: »
    You can still buy baby grows and socks and the like. I was in Dunnes yesterday and they still had essential clothes especially baby grows and stuff.

Heard some snippet of a debate on RTE 1 earlier and some woman who literally wouldn't let anyone else get a word in edgeways was having a conniption over the government paupering parents or something. Come off it like, a packet of baby vests in dunnes is seven quid for a five pack. I'd a baby in May and managed to source everything I needed for me, my hospital bag and the baby by way of the internet. In addition, Dunnes Stores still had essential baby clothes etc. available. I also got a lot of stuff on Facebook groups for recycling barely used baby stuff.

I really think we are turning into a nation of such snowflakes. What's the point having any restrictions at all sure everyone is a fúcking exception to something :D

breezy1985 wrote: »

But but but people with no internet, people with no phones, people with no bank cards, people whose kids grow out of all their clothes suddenly and without warning overnight. There's a lot of volunteers for self righteous anger over socks when we should be concerned over how many ICU beds we have. The whole thing is farsical, imagine someone not from here listening to our news...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Wolly hats are not essential. Perfect way to not get a cold and think you may have covid and get a test which will end up being a waste of time to the individual and the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Antares35 wrote: »
    But but but people with no internet, people with no phones, people with no bank cards, people whose kids grow out of all their clothes suddenly and without warning overnight. There's a lot of volunteers for self righteous anger over socks when we should be concerned over how many ICU beds we have. The whole thing is farsical, imagine someone not from here listening to our news...

precisely!!

That was my thought the other night when I heard Miriam O'Callaghan asking about socks. PRIME Time my ar$e. Three times in the last fortnight I've watched it, and my opinion of it as a source of news analysis has plummeted each time. To be fair, I wasn't expecting much in the first place. Plus, the remote was on the other sofa.

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    Pick it up, hold it against themselves, look at it again, hold it again, flick through all the items on the shelf to find their size, pick that up, show it to a friend, hold it up once more, then put it back and move onto the next rack. People aren't doing that with bottles of Smirnoff or wine.

I can tell you for a fact that a lot of people do this with wine. If their friend isn't with them a lot of people whip out the phone to ask them about said bottle of wine. It's really annoying trying to work around them.

We actually have quite a low number of outraged and tinfoil hats compared to others. Jeysus look at the complaining about the UKs soft lockdown.

But yes we should gear lockdown towards Irish people who seem to live like Amish and have kids with rapid growth defects

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Heard some snippet of a debate on RTE 1 earlier and some woman who literally wouldn't let anyone else get a word in edgeways was having a conniption over the government paupering parents or something. Come off it like, a packet of baby vests in dunnes is seven quid for a five pack. I'd a baby in May and managed to source everything I needed for me, my hospital bag and the baby by way of the internet. In addition, Dunnes Stores still had essential baby clothes etc. available. I also got a lot of stuff on Facebook groups for recycling barely used baby stuff.

I really think we are turning into a nation of such snowflakes. What's the point having any restrictions at all sure everyone is a fúcking exception to something :D

Guess what - she was a sinn fein td.

As usual they'll hijack anything, twist it, then prevaricate a load of BS and interrupt anyone that talks sense - then at the same time attack anyone that interrupts her during her interruption of them.

All the training of the sf communication unit in belfast where all sf people take their instructions

i really wish politicians would stand up to sf and ask them to explain the utter hames that they are making of covid across the border in northern ireland with cases per 100,000 multiple times of the cases here, where contact tracing is non existent, where additional bed capacity has not been created and where a nightingale hospital has only just reopened due to the runaway nature of the pandemic

Imagine them having power here with the same attitude as ni - the country would be destroyed

Wolly hats are not essential. Perfect way to not get a cold and think you may have covid and get a test which will end up being a waste of time to the individual and the health service.

Majority of winter coats have hoods.

If you are a hat wearer you would already have a few floating about.

If you really need one they can be bought online....if you don't shop online we had a few days warning that lockdown was imminent, surely you could make a list of what is essential to you for the next 6 weeks and get to a shopping centre/ high street or wherever you usually buy your clothes.

Majority of winter coats have hoods.

If you are a hat wearer you would already have a few floating about.

If you really need one they can be bought online....if you don't shop online we had a few days warning that lockdown was imminent, surely you could make a list of what is essential to you for the next 6 weeks and get to a shopping centre/ high street or wherever you usually buy your clothes.

Quick question.
    During the last lockdown the government didn’t close off clothing department in shops.
    Did they announce they were going to do this time around to allow people to prepare?

It’s also great for those who’ve the money at a flash to go out and buy what they need for the next six weeks.
    Not so great if you were waiting for your Children’s allowance to get a few bits in Penney’s on the first Tuesday of November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Maybe I just wasn’t listening but I had no idea that the retail part of Dunnes or Tesco was to close ? I dont think many did actually

By the way a bit of a change today in my local Dunnes . They have cordoned off a lot of the clothes but open up the baby essentials clothes , night wear , hats and scarves underwear and socks

Quick question.
    During the last lockdown the government didn’t close off clothing department in shops.
    Did they announce they were going to do this time around to allow people to prepare?

It’s also great for those who’ve the money at a flash to go out and buy what they need for the next six weeks.
    Not so great if you were waiting for your Children’s allowance to get a few bits in Penney’s on the first Tuesday of November.
    Children's clothes are really cheap plus they (apparently) grow so fast in Ireland they will only get two wears out of then anyway so enduring fabrics and the likes are clearly not a concern. Opening up Penney's would be disastrous, there'd be more of a surge for fluffy socks, grownup harry potter pjs, lingerie, leggings and homeware than there'd be for kids clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Colds are caused by the cold virus, and not lower temperatures. We have known this for long enough for me to suspect that anyone who claims otherwise at this stage is being wilfully stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Floppybits wrote: »
    Clothes are no longer essential.

Go nude and let your bits hang out ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Quick question.

Yeah, because September/October in Ireland is known for its toasty, shorts and bikini weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Do folk not knit these days? A hat is fast and easy.

The thread title maybe needs to be " NEW clothes are not essential" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most people have plenty of clothing to wear,
    The government is simply closing down anyplace
    that does not sell food or hardware or medicine
    In order to control covid
    It's nuthing to do with people going nude

Graces7 wrote: »
    Do folk not knit these days? A hat is fast and easy.

The thread title maybe needs to be " NEW clothes are not essential" ;)

Apparently some people are unable to figure out how phones and bank cards work so knitting would be like rocket science

Quick question.

Well I'd argue September's children's allowance should have been used to buy a warm coat, expecting a child to wear summer clothes up to November in Ireland is neglect!

• Advertisement

Well I'd argue September's children's allowance should have been used to buy a warm coat, expecting a child to wear summer clothes up to November in Ireland is neglect!

I really understand where you are coming from now!

Advertisement