Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

That video just highlights prescription opioids, anti depressants, poor diet leading to sugar rushes and crashes and lack of education. Most of all a lack of personal accountability. The American dream they were sold when they were kids isn't working out and the reality is biting hard. Then they turn on TV or pick up the cell phone and hey presto there is another US billionaire or Instagram wannabe staring at them in the face. When you sprinkle in a bit of Trump that just adds fuel to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,913 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How do you even begin bringing people like this to some version of reality

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/l1cp1f/maga_woman_has_a_breakdown_over_biden_being/

Are most Trumpists this deeply invested in the cult?

Britney Spears fan just got outdone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I was scrolling on F/B and on a page reporting the FBI raid two days ago on the home of Kristopher Dreww AKA Kris Martin, one of the Capitol insurrectionists who published assertions he was there on the 6th along with selfies.

I saw at the base of that page a separate report on Peter Thiel, described on Wikipedia as a German-American Billionaire entrepreneur, investor in Facebook and a co-founder of Paypal, a funder of Trump, of the GOP and of Senator Josh Hawley. Mr Thiel seems to have changed his view of Trump being a winner this time around contrary to his opinion in 2016, abandoning him last year. Mr Thiel, a longtime critic of Google was a financial supporter of Mr Hawley while he ran for Missouri's A.G office to the tune of $300,000 and more funding for Hawley when he ran for senator. Coincidentally Mr Hawley investigated Google while holding office as Missouri's A.G.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article184113056.html

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/10/josh-hawley-richard-blumenthal-call-for-doj-investigation-into-google-search/

Good news source...Breitbart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Wow!!!

What a show!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No idea what the flag comment is about tbh.

This is my best guess

explained-global-potus-biden-inauguration-1200-nyt.jpg

(nobody tell her)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/l1cp1f/maga_woman_has_a_breakdown_over_biden_being/

Just another nutcase with access to the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Mental health difficulties or clever parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭banie01

CNhttps://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.htmlN and others reporting that the Trump admin left no plan whatsoever for Covid Vaccine distribution and provision.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.html

That is criminally incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

banie01 wrote: »
    CNhttps://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.htmlN and others reporting that the Trump admin left no plan whatsoever for Covid Vaccine distribution and provision.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.html

Given that it was revealed that there actually wasn't any second doses stockpiled, when Alex Azar said there was, accountability (criminal if needed) has to be actioned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It was obvious a very long time ago that Trump completely lost interest in Covid. It was of no benefit to him so he pretended it didn’t exist. I’d say having no plan in place leftover from Trumps presidency would be better than having some ridiculous Trump plan that needs dismantling due to the ineptness of him, his family and his administration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

How long before Trump starts up with the rallies? I guess he'll have to wait to be acquitted in the Senate trial first but after that it'll be full steam ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

duploelabs wrote: »
    Given that it was revealed that there actually wasn't any second doses stockpiled, when Alex Azar said there was, accountability (criminal if needed) has to be actioned

And to think that Trump was complaining that Obama "Left the cupboards bare" 3 years into his presidency.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How long before Trump starts up with the rallies? I guess he'll have to wait to be acquitted in the Senate trial first but after that it'll be full steam ahead.

Listening, and watching, him yesterday, it is clear to me that he is a beaten docket. He should have been setting out his plans, his usual would have been to take the limelight from Biden, to take over the news feed for the day. Come was the upbeat declarations, gone was the megaphone, it was a whimper.

Now, normally one would argue that that is perfectly reasonable and expected. But Trump has never sought to be toned down. He never misses and opportunity to take the limelight, to drive the agenda. It was one of the reasons that the media loved him so much.

Instead, he sulked off, alone, hardly any supporters, little of his staff or the GOP by his side.

He may come up with something, but it appears that at least for now he has no idea what he is going to do next. I think the last two weeks everything has fallen apart (for him) and he could have easily walked away in early November to a pretty good shot at 2024, that seems very remote now.

I also think there is no way Melania is going to hope back on that train, so he may be forced to choose, and the kids may not be looking forward to 4 more years of it either (although this would probably matter little in his thinking).

I know that no matter what the circumstances, leaving such a position is difficult and a major jolt to anyone. But Trump seemed beaten. That minuscule crowd must have been so different to what he had dreamed of. He would have thought that the entire place would be overrun with supporters. People crying for him to stay on, begging for him to save the country.

But instead it was what, 200? The media will quickly drift away, he will now be faced with the unrelating focus on Biden. And he has nothing to offer.

It is one thing to hurl from the ditch, quite another when one has already been on the pitch and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

banie01 wrote: »

100%...

He had the balls to accuse Obama of leaving the shelves bare, 3 years into his presidency.

As someone already stated, he got bored of COVID because it offered nothing for him to inflate his pathetic ego or help him in anyway.

More COVID casualties in the US than they lost in WW2. That's so far beyond a frightening level of criminal incompetence and negligence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If I had a wish heading into the future and a post-Trump world, it's that his time as President serves as a definitive reminder & puts to bed this persistent myth that CEOs or Corporate Leaders are natural shoe-ins for high political office. That we'll see fewer Trumps or O'Leary's in the political sphere or voting ballot, that the public remember just how unsuitable - and potentially calamitous - a lifetime of sociopathic focus on profit can be for the governance of a nation. Especially when that business-person proves to be as inept and hapless as Trump's own career. That giving free rein to those who prize balancing the books over the well-being of citizens never works out, and there simply isn't the overlap, despite what folks who annoyingly cling to this belief maintain. At the bare minimum, never trust those who WANT power. Society - especially those focused on individualism - are unlikely to learn these lessons but maybe for a few years we'll get respite.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is Biden gaslighting Trump by describing the letter left by Trump as 'generous and gracious', but he is not sharing it? May be legit, but you have to wonder.

In other news, Rachel Maddow is quoting Washington Post about when the Capitol called the Pentagon on the night of the riots and were refused National Guard involvement. It now turns out that Charles Flynn, brother of former national security advisor Michael Flynn, was in the room when this request came through and was refused. The Army denied for days that he had been involved, but it now turns out that he was. That is something that is going to have to be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

That video of the woman. OMG. She has been totally indoctrinated. It's like Trump sold her this future she was holding out for and with him gone so has all hope.

Re the flag, I took it that she doesn't see the American flag "anymore" when it's held by Biden. It's a "crazy flag" with him holding it and she no longer has a connection to America and the flag with him as President.

Keyzer wrote: »
    100%...

He had the balls to accuse Obama of leaving the shelves bare, 3 years into his presidency.

As someone already stated, he got bored of COVID because it offered nothing for him to inflate his pathetic ego or help him in anyway.

More COVID casualties in the US than they lost in WW2. That's so far beyond a frightening level of criminal incompetence and negligence.

He avoided covid because it showed that he had zero leadership skills, not that this wasn't obviously evident beforehand. He demonstrated that by the way he called it a conspiracy, made it a political issue, had stats manipulated and threw a tantrum any time he was questioned, among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

pixelburp wrote: »
    If I had a wish heading into the future and a post-Trump world, it's that his time as President serves as a definitive reminder & puts to bed this persistent myth that CEOs or Corporate Leaders are natural shoe-ins for high political office. That we'll see fewer Trumps or O'Leary's in the political sphere or voting ballot, that the public remember just how unsuitable - and potentially calamitous - a lifetime of sociopathic focus on profit can be for the governance of a nation.
    I wouldn't be so quick to portray all business leaders like that. Trump, even in the business world has been seen as a grifter for a long time and is in the vast minority.

The obvious counter example is Andrew Yang who is another who if he had been successful in his Presidential run would have never previously held office and only worked as a businessman/entrepreneur. There's absolutely no doubt though that he wouldn't have governed in the same way as Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If I had a wish heading into the future and a post-Trump world, it's that his time as President serves as a definitive reminder & puts to bed this persistent myth that CEOs or Corporate Leaders are natural shoe-ins for high political office. That we'll see fewer Trumps or O'Leary's in the political sphere or voting ballot, that the public remember just how unsuitable - and potentially calamitous - a lifetime of sociopathic focus on profit can be for the governance of a nation. Especially when that business-person proves to be as inept and hapless as Trump's own career. That giving free rein to those who prize balancing the books over the well-being of citizens never works out, and there simply isn't the overlap, despite what folks who annoyingly cling to this belief maintain. At the bare minimum, never trust those who WANT power. Society - especially those focused on individualism - are unlikely to learn these lessons but maybe for a few years we'll get respite.

Just to clarify one issue I have with your post.

Trump was never, ever, concerned with balancing the books. In business or government. I could sort of understand if he had been an O'Leary type, I could understand the thinking behind bringing in such a successful businessman to run things (although I agree that they are very different jobs and O'Leary would not be suitable).

What I could never fathom is why anyone actually thought such a medicore (I'm being generous) who was not known for being innovative, or done anything remarkable was considered the person to fix it.

All in all, a vast amount of Americans were taken in by a marketing scam. Anyone that tries to tell you that marketing doesn't work, Trump is exhibit A to refute them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

+1

Remember back in the 2008 crisis how many people were saying that Ryanair's Michael O'Leary should be running the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Leroy42 wrote: »

Trump was never, ever, concerned with balancing the books. In business or government. I could sort of understand if he had been an O'Leary type, I could understand the thinking behind bringing in such a successful businessman to run things (although I agree that they are very different jobs and O'Leary would not be suitable).

What I could never fathom is why anyone actually thought such a medicore (I'm being generous) who was not known for being innovative, or done anything remarkable was considered the person to fix it.

All in all, a vast amount of Americans were taken in by a marketing scam. Anyone that tries to tell you that marketing doesn't work, Trump is exhibit A to refute them.
    Marketing has always worked; that's why it's used in the first place... You can go back 2000 years to the Roman empire to see that as well and what to do to get elected, heck you can go back further than that as well. The one thing that's consistent is the fact people wishes a quick easy solution to their problems and are willing to con themselves into believing it's true this time. Be that snake oil sellers to various religions to divine intervention to people who speak well.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

dilallio wrote: »
    +1

Remember back in the 2008 crisis how many people were saying that Ryanair's Michael O'Leary should be running the country.

I think O'Leary himself might have made rhetorical noises in that direction also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Leroy42 wrote: »

No, true, my wording was poor with book balancing as yes, Trump has no sense of prudence. I guess broadly, what I meant was more often the CEO politician will trumpet a desire to cut waste in government (not ostensibly a bad goal mind you), and slim what can be seen as the bloat or soft corruption of governance. The swamp, if you will. But then again, CEOs just end up hiring other corporates into their mix and thus the swamp persists.
    Blowfish wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to portray all business leaders like that. Trump, even in the business world has been seen as a grifter for a long time and is in the vast minority.

The obvious counter example is Andrew Yang who is another who if he had been successful in his Presidential run would have never previously held office and only worked as a businessman/entrepreneur. There's absolutely no doubt though that he wouldn't have governed in the same way as Trump.

Honestly I know next to little about Yang so can't really comment on his background or career this far. He certainly cuts a more empathetic, egalitarian figure so I'll give you that but also that he's an exception, not the rule here IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Blowfish wrote: »

Yang was able to discuss things coherently using big person words. Not fair to compare him to the pos just washed off the floor of the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yang is running for Mayor of NY. Has got bitten by the political bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And a fitting reaction to the new administration coming from Sean Spicer. Like his former boss, whinging that the Press were being unfair to him.

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/1352339438446268417

You'd swear he wasn't there the day he came out for the first press conference with his 'Biggest inauguration crowd ever. Period' statement. That lead Kellyanne Conway to use her infamous 'alternative facts' statement a couple days later. And astonishingly, they all went downhill from there.

It's just icing on the cake that he is quoting a Fox News piece as his supporting evidence. They truly don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And a fitting reaction to the new administration coming from Sean Spicer. Like his former boss, whinging that the Press were being unfair to him.

You'd swear he wasn't there the day he came out for the first press conference with his 'Biggest inauguration crowd ever. Period' statement. That lead Kellyanne Conway to use her infamous 'alternative facts' statement a couple days later. And astonishingly, they all went downhill from there.

It's just icing on the cake that he is quoting a Fox News piece as his supporting evidence. They truly don't get it.

Remember that time he hid in a bush.

We were so innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

They don't seem to get that lies come with consequences. Suppose you can't blame them really seeing who appointmented then m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If the move from impeachment to trial is dragged out over the spring/summer, I can see this thread having an extension granted. Personally, I see Trump himself dragging it out to avoid being called to account, probably refusing to attend it and appointing new lawyer teams every so often to get as much media attention as possible over the need to actually have a team working successfully in his interests.

I think he knows, probably fears, grandstanding in the senate would rebound on him as the differing sides of the GOP senators would hog the limelight themselves, seeing him as yesterday's man in terms of political importance to their own careers in the GOP.

Advertisement