Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's just icing on the cake that he is quoting a Fox News piece as his supporting evidence. They truly don't get it.

There's a great compare and contrast short video on their first conferences.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1352060159321845765?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Trumps crowd love to call everyone snowflakes but they are generally the biggest criers, victims going.

Sean Spicer is an embarrassment. He's trying to be hostile and combative in that above video but you just can't take him seriously. Scrappy do like. I'll never forget his even Hitler didn't use chemical weapons comment.

Kayleigh McEnany was the worst of the lot. She has zero credibility. In the past she described his Mexican comments as racist and that he wasn't a Republican. How you go from that to knowingly lying every time you open your mouth for him is quite the reversal. Poisonous people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,144 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Trumps crowd love to call everyone snowflakes but they are generally the biggest criers, victims going.

Sean Spicer is an embarrassment. He's trying to be hostile and combative in that above video but you just can't take him seriously. Scrappy do like. I'll never forget his even Hitler didn't use chemical weapons comment.

Kayleigh McEnany was the worst of the lot. She has zero credibility. In the past she described his Mexican comments as racist and that he wasn't a Republican. How you go from that to knowingly lying every time you open your mouth for him is quite the reversal. Poisonous people.

Not often you have more than 4 times as many comments as likes on a tweet. Which demonstrates how people disagree with Sean's view on that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

And a fitting reaction to the new administration coming from Sean Spicer. Like his former boss, whinging that the Press were being unfair to him.

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/1352339438446268417

You'd swear he wasn't there the day he came out for the first press conference with his 'Biggest inauguration crowd ever. Period' statement. That lead Kellyanne Conway to use her infamous 'alternative facts' statement a couple days later. And astonishingly, they all went downhill from there.

It's just icing on the cake that he is quoting a Fox News piece as his supporting evidence. They truly don't get it.

Its really ludicrous that a grown man takes to a social media platform to post this kind of tripe.

What a moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,421 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You come down with a severe case of the Lindsay Graham’s. it’s symptoms are occasional bouts of mind numbing hypocrisy, with a constant desire to be near power. If left untreated you turn into an asshole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,124 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

'Accuse others of that which you are guilty'

At this point, if a Republican said that the Democrats were using child immigrants to ferry bags of cocaine from Columbia, through Mexico, and in to the United States. I'd be like 'Hang on, you're using child immigrants to ferry bags of cocaine from Columbia, through Mexico, and in to the United States. Aren't you? and they'd probably nod their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The House is sending the Trump Impeachment article to the Senate on Monday. That might mean an accord has been reached between the GOP Senators and the House Speaker that they are happy that Trump has got a legal team ready to be present in the senate to receive a copy of the impeachment charge sheet. I'm hoping that it means there'll be an expedited trial for the accused and a faster end to the stress he's putting all of the U.S through.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2021/jan/22/joe-biden-covid-coronavirus-strategy-donald-trump-impeachment-kamala-harris-live?page=with:block-600afe668f084eb8eab7e675

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't think McConnell and Schumer have agreed, but this forces McConnell to agree as by default it would start on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Amazing how quiet and powerless Trump suddenly is without twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Water John wrote: »
    Don't think McConnell and Schumer have agreed, but this forces McConnell to agree as by default it would start on Tuesday.

McConnell is saying he wants a two week delay to allow Trump to get his defense organised. I guess what he really wants is to get enough repubs onside to properly drive a stake through Trumps heart so he never rises again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Amazing how quiet and powerless Trump suddenly is without twitter

You would almost miss him ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭storker

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

And a fitting reaction to the new administration coming from Sean Spicer. Like his former boss, whinging that the Press were being unfair to him.

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/1352339438446268417

You'd swear he wasn't there the day he came out for the first press conference with his 'Biggest inauguration crowd ever. Period' statement. That lead Kellyanne Conway to use her infamous 'alternative facts' statement a couple days later. And astonishingly, they all went downhill from there.

Maybe I am not on twitter enough - but that is truely the most pathetic tweet I have ever seen.
    If this is the type of folk Trump hired - no wonder the whole presidency was such a sh*tshow

Just watched Biden's address to the nation on CNN. As he left the rostrum, a reporter asked him about the Trump senate trial and he sidestepped it by saying something about the senate instead then speaking about the items he signed 2 executive orders on. I guess he's avoiding touching it and accidentally ruining whatever Mitch and Chuck are arranging - what is senate business is the business of the senate, period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There is a ton of 'content creators' on various forms of social media and mainstream media that certainly are missing him. Donald Trump is a private citizen since the 20th. Yet the 'Trump reacts' media like this thread continue to gasp for oxygen, performing outrage by rote with increasingly less material to justify their existence by.

It's over. It's done. Let it go.

Sand wrote: »
    There is a ton of 'content creators' on various forms of social media and mainstream media that certainly are missing him. Donald Trump is a private citizen since the 20th. Yet the 'Trump reacts' media like this thread continue to gasp for oxygen, performing outrage by rote with increasingly less material to justify their existence by.

A - People are reveling in the fact that he is gone. It is refreshing.
    B - I think people should be allowed to continue to do so for the same amount of time as Fox stayed talking about Hillary after she was beaten in 2016 and given they lead with that on the night of the inauguration, I think you've a while to go yet before you stop seeing people laugh at Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,733 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump talked about Clinton and Obama for four years, Now all of a sudden we are told by Trumps supporters we should forget it and "let it go" :pac:

Trump talked about Clinton and Obama for four years, Now all of a sudden we are told by Trumps supporters we should forget it and "let it go" :pac:

Trump supporter?

This is why it's pointless to contribute to these threads. People are so committed to the trees, they cant conceive of the existence of a forest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,733 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump supporter?

This is why it's pointless to contribute to these threads. People are so committed to the trees, they cant conceive of the existence of a forest.

The old saying "if it quacks like a duck" springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Trump isn't going to retire to play golf, eat burgers, drink cola and sleep. He's going to be on each and every chat show that will have him. He'll be out stoking up his lunatic followers and getting them to subscribe. That's when he isn't in court defending himself against a plethora of lawsuits. It's not over, it's not done, hang on tight. Series 2 is just beginning. Grab some popcorn.

• Advertisement

The old saying "if it quacks like a duck" springs to mind.

Apparently a CBS News/YouGov poll finds that 54% of Americans believe the greatest threat to America is other Americans. Amazing how a whole country has been gaslighted into hating and mistrusting their countrymen. Almost by rote every US leader promises to unify the nation, whilst achieving office by stoking divisions.

As I said, in such a context of "Friend=Good, Enemy=Bad" that prevails in the US it is almost pointless to offer any objective opinion that doesn't subscribe to that narrative.

Oh well, the decline of the US will serve as an abject lesson for observers if nothing else.

Trump isn't going to retire to play golf, eat burgers, drink cola and sleep. He's going to be on each and every chat show that will have him. He'll be out stoking up his lunatic followers and getting them to subscribe. That's when he isn't in court defending himself against a plethora of lawsuits. It's not over, it's not done, hang on tight. Series 2 is just beginning. Grab some popcorn.

So none. Zero.

No really, its over.

So none. Zero.

No really, its over.

No, really, it's not. He doesn't have a choice.

No, really, it's not. He doesn't have a choice.

They're going to force him to go on chat shows? Doubt it.

They're going to force him to go on chat shows? Doubt it.

His egotism will demand nothing less but that he is in the spotlight constantly. He has no choice but to deal with the lawsuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yeah but you see it's not over.

Are you purposely ignoring that he has an impeachment trial coming up in a couple of weeks? It's quite a big deal tbh

So none. Zero.

No really, its over.

It'll be over when Don Trump senior stands up in the senate and says "I was the captain of my fate, no one else and I will have no further act, part or deed in U.S. political life". As long as he continues to provide statements of comfort for those who think he may resurrect himself in political life in the future, he is denying himself retirement into private life. He can, between now and the trial, stand up and own up to his part in the deeds which occurred at the Capitol.

Anyone who thinks Don has undergone a "Road to Damascus" conversion in personal attitude since the 6th Jan Capitol assault on U.S national political life should provide the evidence they base their belief on, it might serve to persuade his Senate detractors [GOP and Democrat] from finding him guilty as charged in his future trial there.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Yeah but you see it's not over.

Are you purposely ignoring that he has an impeachment trial coming up in a couple of weeks? It's quite a big deal tbh

It really isnt. The only consequence of impeachment is being removed from office and being barred from securing future offices. He is already out of office and no chance of securing future office. He has completely destroyed whatever base of support he had remaining. He has no media access. The man cant even open a Twitter account.

Impeachment is just circus to distract the masses. It has no meaningful consequence. It's done. Its over.

I feel like the guy who had to persuade Hiroo Onoda in 1974 that WW2 was over. Do I need to go find your commanding officer to tell you its okay to stand down?

It really isnt. The only consequence of impeachment is being removed from office and being barred from securing future offices. He is already out of office and no chance of securing future office. He has completely destroyed whatever base of support he had remaining. He has no media access. The man cant even open a Twitter account.

Impeachment is just circus to distract the masses. It has no meaningful consequence. It's done. Its over.

I feel like the guy who had to persuade Hiroo Onoda in 1974 that WW2 was over. Do I need to go find your commanding officer to tell you its okay to stand down?

Well, given the multitude of posters disagreeing with you, maybe you need to look in the mirror. You might see Hiroo Onada.

• Advertisement

Well, given the multitude of posters disagreeing with you, maybe you need to look in the mirror. You might see Hiroo Onada.

Well, the multitude disagreed with Galileo and deplatformed him. But he was right despite being in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Well, the multitude disagreed with Galileo and deplatformed him. But he was right despite being in the minority.

You're no Galileo.

You're no Galileo.

They said much the same to Galileo. You guys are no Catholic inquisition either, but we make do with what we have.

Okay. It's a brave person who compares themselves with Galileo. We'll just have to wait and see if your theories are as brilliant as his.

They said much the same to Galileo. You guys are no Catholic inquisition either, but we make do with what we have.

So apart from comparing yourself to one of the most revered men in history and telling people to stop talking about something that doesn't affect you, do you actually have anything to contribute or are you just looking to shutdown discussion?

So apart from comparing yourself to one of the most revered men in history and telling people to stop talking about something that doesn't affect you, do you actually have anything to contribute or are you just looking to shutdown discussion?

I haven't shut down discussion. There was 12 posts today before I posted. Your post was the 12th since I posted an hour ago. If anything discussion has increased.

I'm just noting that any political discussion about Trump makes sense in the context of him being a defeated figure who has left office and has no political future. And that various social media content creators who have lived parasitically from outraged reacts to Trump are going to have to find a new grift. Sure, talk about the impeachment but its just the post credits scene. Trump lost.

Even Antifa are getting rolled up like a carpet now that their usefulness is at an end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Are you comparing yourself and Trump to Galileo?

He wasn't right because his opinion was correct. He was right because he stated fact. Shockingly poor comparison.

He actually wasn't in the minority either. He was in the minority in a specific small corner of the world.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I haven't shut down discussion. There was 12 posts today before I posted. Your post was the 12th since I posted an hour ago. If anything discussion has increased.

I'm just noting that any political discussion about Trump makes sense in the context of him being a defeated figure who has left office and has no political future. And that various social media content creators who have lived parasitically from outraged reacts to Trump are going to have to find a new grift. Sure, talk about the impeachment but its just the post credits scene. Trump lost.

Even Antifa are getting rolled up like a carpet now that their usefulness is at an end.

In fairness, the Trump Presidency is only just over. There's still plenty to come out about what went on in the administration. Also an impeachment trial which you deem unnecessary but many would argue puts limits on what criminality a president gets away with. So there is still plenty to discuss.

And he might be gone but the consequences of his behaviour is likely far reaching.

Brian? wrote: »
    Are you comparing yourself and Trump to Galileo?

No, I was comparing the 'multitude' to the Catholic inquisition. The basic point being the validity of an opinion isnt proven by it being in a minority, or even denounced by the great and the good.

I'd compare Trump to human sewage if anything.
    He was right because he stated fact.

No, he stated a theory which was later proven to be more correct than that of his opponents.

Nearly all social media discussion is "parasitic", it's not like you're pointing out something that people don't already know.

It just seems to me that you want people to feel stupid for still talking about Trump, on a thread called the "Donald Trump discussion thread" when he only left office 3 days ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No, I was comparing the 'multitude' to the Catholic inquisition. The basic point being the validity of an opinion isnt proven by it being in a minority, or even denounced by the great and the good.

I'd compare Trump to human sewage if anything.

No, he stated a theory which was later proven to be more correct than that of his opponents.

It wasn't "more correct" than his opponents. He was completely factually correct and presented evidence to that effect.

Why did you snip out the part about him not being in the minority? He wasn't in the minority. As far back as ancient Greece there were scientists in Europe who knew the earth orbits the sun. At the time he was alive the majority of astronomers in the world agreed. Just not in his corner of Italy.

It was an awful comparison

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

In fairness, the Trump Presidency is only just over. There's still plenty to come out about what went on in the administration.

Sure and lots of people will have been under tremendous stress during it and will take time to adjust to him being gone. But he is gone.
    Also an impeachment trial which you deem unnecessary but many would argue puts limits on what criminality a president gets away with. So there is still plenty to discuss.

I wouldn't take a position on it being necessary or unnecessary as that is subjective. I disagree that it is 'a big deal'. It's not. It has no real world consequence. At best, it is a performance.
    And he might be gone but the consequences of his behaviour is likely far reaching.

Doubtful - I think Biden has completely unraveled any domestic policy of Trump in just his first week. Trump was elected to be a change President, just as much as Obama was. He accomplished no change. He won power as an anti-establishment figure, but he ruled as a conventional politician.

His only lasting achievements will be moving the US-Israeli embassy and blessing the annexation of the Golan Heights. Those wont be reversed, but otherwise Trump accomplished nothing.

Nearly all social media discussion is "parasitic", it's not like you're pointing out something that people don't already know.

It just seems to me that you want people to feel stupid for still talking about Trump, on a thread called the "Donald Trump discussion thread" when he only left office 3 days ago.

I responded to a poster openly wondering if he would be missed. I noted that he would be by those 'reacts' creators casting about for something to keep the show going. Dogpile ensues.

I see now the mistake was to discuss Trump on the Trump discussion thread. I'll leave you guys at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

But he is gone.

But, McConnell has to wipe the stain of Trump from the GOP and the Dems need closure. So he needs to be buried and that's what will happen.

Everybody loves a good funeral and that is what the Senate will perform.

I responded to a poster openly wondering if he would be missed. I noted that he would be by those 'reacts' creators casting about for something to keep the show going. Dogpile ensues.

I see now the mistake was to discuss Trump on the Trump discussion thread. I'll leave you guys at it.

Yes, you're the victim here.
    Sand wrote:
    Yet the 'Trump reacts' media like this thread continue to gasp for oxygen, performing outrage by rote with increasingly less material to justify their existence by.

That's what you said, seems pretty clear what you meant.

Do you not see that you, with your posts into our debate here, are part of what you are complaining about, enabling the debate here to continue? I would have thought that that was obvious to you.

Ref the ability of Trump to make public statements to the media [including the section which he calls the "Fake News Media"] which he knows will be ready to publish whatever he says to continue playing a hand in U.S national politics, will you then post here that he has not, as you believe, retired from the political field?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Dear Sand.
    This is not over by a long shot.
    Just because the criminal can no longer carry out his heinous acts, doesn't mean we'll forget about him.
    He should be impeached this time successfully, he should be prosecuted for financial fraud and rape and he should face jail time. Any successful prosecution for collaboration with Russia I would see as a welcome bonus.
    And any of his brain-dead MAGA zombies who took part in storming the Capitol should be arrested, tried and jailed.
    And there is still a budding network of domestic terrorism developing in the US, this has to be uprooted and destroyed.
    Trump has been far worse for the US than Pearl Harbor and 9/11. Would you have accepted these attacks and said "oh well, it's over now, forget about it"?
    If someone breaks into your house and ransacks the place, is it over when they leave? Will you say "ok, he's gone, everything is good"?
    If you do, you are a fool.
    WWII was over in 1945, but we're looking forward to the Nürnberg Trials.

You may think that committing crimes has no consequences, but that's not how this works.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sand, one of the main claims, even by Trump supporters, is that Trump isn't the cause only the reaction.

Trump may, or may not disappear, but the divisions he stoked, the entitlements he drove, the sense of betrayal and disillusionment he nurtured doesn't simply stop.

Ted Cruz recent tweet about the Paris agreement, the calls for impeachment of Biden, these are examples of things going to continue.

Trump indeed created or at least galvanised and multiplied a movement. That it is a movement based on lies, disinformation, self pity and hatred and fear and jealousy and anger and misunderstanding doesn't reduce the reality of that movement.

Moving on, letting go, forgetting etc can only happen when those involved come to terms with what they became and start the process of moving away.

Clearly people like Cruz have no intention of doing that.

Trump, as a person, was actually very ineffective. Trump brand was what sold it and held it together. MAGA is very much alive and well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,421 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/msnbc/status/1352836461968691205?s=21

If this was a TV show you’d think it was too far fetched. Georgia in the news again and Lindsey Graham’s phone call to Georgia should be looked into again.

It's absolutely ridiculous that a direct decision should be made to stop from investigating the wrong doings of Trump, those associated with him and others in Congress.
    It is looking increasingly likely that someone in Congress was communicating with some of the insurrectionists on the 6th of January and letting them know where people were located. That is not a million miles away from conspiracy to murder given what was being said by people who were actively livestreaming and posting on social media as they walked the halls.

Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz demonstrably stoked the fires of the insurrection and are still sitting members. One member is rumoured to have tried to bring a gun on to the floor of the house this past week and given the QAnon beliefs of some members it would be crazy to allow such a thing to happen.

As others have said, Trump has stoked and coralled the beliefs of a section of society in a very dangerous way. And this was based on lies and illegal activity more so than any sort of fundamental difference in ideologies or philosophies. It would be a catastrophic step to try to close the door on all these events and will only allow the perpetrators, outside of Trump, to review their notes, learn from what happened and be better prepared the next time. And that relates to either physical protesting leading to insurrection, or trying to overcome election results that did not go their way.

What happened 2 weeks ago looked like a group of white people who believed, without evidence, that the election was stolen invaded the US capitol seeking to interrupt and overturn democracy and they did so with the apparent belief that the police or army would not stop them doing so. To not hunt down everyone responsible for what led to this would be virtually guaranteeing future elections will be targeted in the same way.

Show everyone of these people, from Donald Trump right down to Kimberly Guilfoyle that those inciting insurrection based on their own lies will experience serious consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭wandererz

The level of pettiness is unbelievable.

"The Trumps sent the butlers home when they left so there would be no one to help the Bidens when they arrived"

Reminds me of all those memes of baby Trump throwing a tantrum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement