Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Deleted original content because I've seen a post elsewhere that Trump is able to grant pardons up to Friday. Given that Biden will be president from swearing in today and Trump will be a retired president, confirm for me that that post is unreal, an alternative reality line from some-one who should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

aloyisious wrote: »
    Presumably/hopefully those heading to Washington with CV's will truly be the best this time around compared to those leaving Govt service this time.

Well most of them have previous experience/or government experience in the relevant departments they are hoping to be heads of. I mean I know that’s what you’d expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think it's fairly widely accepted that Trump didn't so much "drain the swamp" as try to make it his own swamp. We have over four years of him hiring cronies and yes-people and sacking anyone who dared disagree with him. There's very little doubt based on the current appointments that the new administration is reverting back to the traditional thought-process of actually hiring people that are experienced and capable in their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

So he's finally gone from the WH.
    Walking across the lawn to the helicopter to his own 8am going away party, when Pence & McConnell have gone to church with Biden really is strikingly pathetic.

EDIT: The dismissive tone of Adam Boulton on Sky is hilarious and apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Look at this utter utter bullshyt.

What a great pity it didn't piss rain.

• Advertisement

Lol, the figures will skyrocket downwards, referring to the Covid-19 pandemic death and illness reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The irony of all these medieval religious fanatic creationist mouth breathers dancing along to bent disco music.

Can we please finally roll the credits on the ****ing Truman show now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Why is he leaving to YMCA? WTF kind of time in history has this been?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Thats his anthem. Strange one for someone who considers himself a macho man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

They are play Sinatra "I did it my way" as AF1 taxies down the runway:eek::eek::eek:

What a f**king egomaniac and an arsehole

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    And the frightening thing is that 74 million Americans didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sinatra singing is apt, a kindred thug.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's also such an incongruous choice, given it's understood the Village People were clearly singing about American gay culture in much of their music (heck, their album was called "cruisin'" lol). Gotta love how conservatives seem consistently oblivious to musical subtext - see also historical use of "Born in the USA" among others...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

serfboard wrote: »

I've some older relatives who've been living in the US "heartlands" for most of their working lives. They have US citizenship, and are coming up to retirement age. They would have been raised as Catholic in Ireland and then went strongly evangelical during their time in US.

They would have started off as Carson supporters in the 2016 Republican Primaries, before swinging strongly behind Team Trump.

I'm not religous at all, but I can understand how someone who was might have backed Carson. I will never understand how Trump has convinced anyone of his religous credentials. I know some on this thread have argued that evangelicals were just marking off Supreme Court appointments and regressions in civil liberties and ignoring the behaviours of "their guy", but it seems to go deeper than that.

My relatives, based on their social media output, have certainly conviced themselves that Trump was a quasi saint and they are terrified of what a Democrat administration will bring. Whether this is QA related or not, I don't know. I've always quite liked my relatives, although we rarely meet and have very, very different beliefs and interests but I don't understand their politics and it's probably not a conversation that would end well.

With previous historical demagogues, you could always argue that there was an air of mystery. You could assume hidden depths. That Stalin really cared and it was the NKVD were keeping the people at arms length. That Mussolini really was a multi-talented Renaissance man

With Trump, it is patently obvious there is nothing. No talent, No depths. No empathy. Just pettiness, ignorance and belligerance. Good riddance.

But, as you say, the problem is that 74 million thought he was the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    They are play Sinatra "I did it my way" as AF1 taxies down the runway:eek::eek::eek:

You only realize this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

So one of the few things I agreed with was the ban on lobbying for administration employees.

This has no been undone
    https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1351774598052896768?s=20

It was largely toothless but the idea was right but now he undoes it, I guess he couldn't stand leaving something nearly decent behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

serfboard wrote: »
    In fairness, as has been pointed out by many posters over the last few months, it's not that 74 million American's don't think so, probably only 20% are firmly in that camp... the rest simply don't care enough to not vote along party lines.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Bannon probably has too much on Trump for him not to receive a pardon.

That might not work out as planned..

Hopefully Trump didn't know anything about the Wall scam , because now Bannon can't plead the 5th amendment if he's called as a witness in any related case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wonder how big his personal stash of disinfectant to protect against covid is?

druss wrote: »
    I've some older relatives who've been living in the US "heartlands" for most of their working lives. They have US citizenship, and are coming up to retirement age. They would have been raised as Catholic in Ireland and then went strongly evangelical during their time in US.

They would have started off as Carson supporters in the 2016 Republican Primaries, before swinging strongly behind Team Trump.

I'm not religous at all, but I can understand how someone who was might have backed Carson. I will never understand how Trump has convinced anyone of his religous credentials. I know some on this thread have argued that evangelicals were just marking off Supreme Court appointments and regressions in civil liberties and ignoring the behaviours of "their guy", but it seems to go deeper than that.

My relatives, based on their social media output, have certainly convinced themselves that Trump was a quasi saint and they are terrified of what a Democrat administration will bring. Whether this is QA related or not, I don't know. I've always quite liked my relatives, although we rarely meet and have very, very different beliefs and interests but I don't understand their politics and it's probably not a conversation that would end well.

With Trump, it is patently obvious there is nothing. No talent, No depths. No empathy. Just pettiness, ignorance and belligerance. Good riddance.

But, as you say, the problem is that 74 million thought he was the answer.

The "anyone but her" factor which Trump & his media-mind F***ers used to persuade the senior GOP-ers to follow where it came to their personal agendas, that they gutted each other and supported him instead followed by the GOP state & local caucuses and the national GOP caucus to put him forward as their candidate and the E/C vote to ensure HE WON. The 74,000,000 convincing themselves that they had to have gotten it right in line with his "I won, look at the crowds." statements, a natural reaction of humans to refuse they and the party got it wrong to a massive number.

• Advertisement

CNN is reporting that 17 GOP Freshmen in congress have sent a joint letter to Biden that they will support him there. It's obvious that they won't be able to follow through on that in all matters and votes but it's good of them to break new ground and change the soil on top at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

the rest simply don't care enough to not vote along party lines.
    While I don't disagree with that, that's almost more frightening. "The party is always right". Good God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

aloyisious wrote: »
    CNN is reporting that 17 GOP Freshmen in congress have sent a joint letter to Biden that they will support him there. It's obvious that they won't be able to follow through on that in all matters and votes but it's good of them to break new ground and change the soil on top at the very least.

I know its good but does he even need their support? Dems control both houses for the next 2 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Akabusi wrote: »
    I know its good but does he even need their support? Dems control both houses for the next 2 years.

Ideally yes he does need their support if to stop more mayhem and division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Akabusi wrote: »

He'd be foolish to take every Dem vote for granted, some of them are quite "rightish"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Regarding the Trump vote, it's estimated from polling that 50m believe the election was stolen despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Does anyone think a generation of opioid addiction might have something to to with the sheer level of wingnut, crackpotery that is abroad in the USA? You can only "gaslight" people who are credulous enough to be so fooled and millions have been strung out on these substances for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Regarding the Trump vote, it's estimated from polling that 50m believe the election was stolen despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Does anyone think a generation of opioid addiction might have something to to with the sheer level of wingnut, crackpotery that is abroad in the USA? You can only "gaslight" people who are credulous enough to be so fooled and millions have been strung out on these substances for years.

Opioid abuse, Fox News, defunded education, the prominence of religion quelling critical thinking, social media propaganda... there are so many factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Apparently Trump has left a letter on the White House desk for Biden to read. I hope it`s scanned for booby traps before he opens it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Apparently Trump has left a letter on the White House desk for Biden to read. I hope it`s scanned for booby traps before he opens it.

Hope it's scanned so we can all have a look. I hope it's not handwritten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

His endlessly creative supporters turned into M-A-G-A at the rallies. Some of them I guess would find the origins of the song problematic.

Advertisement