Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

It seems to me that every Munster Senior Hurling Championship match in 2016 will be played in Thurles.

I think it is time that every Munster Senior Hurling Final should be played in Thurles.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    It seems to me that every Munster Senior Hurling Championship match in 2016 will be played in Thurles.

I think it is time that every Munster Senior Hurling Final should be played in Thurles.

None of the counties have any objection to Thurles and that include Cork but to be honest id imagine with the pull Frank has that he will get a few games in the new PUC when it opens and I don't mind travelling really. Dont get me wrong i love Thurles and i love the convenience of it but part of the joy of being a GAA fan is the travelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nothing better that travelling down to pairc UI chaoimh and beating the rebels in their back yard..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Nothing better that travelling down to pairc UI chaoimh and beating the rebels in their back yard..

Originally it was thought that only the main stand would be knocked but now it seems the whole ground is going to be knocked and rebuilt. Probably no harm to be honest. It was a dilapidated wreck and not fit for purpose. That said i would imagine that planning laws are somehow not strictly being adhered to here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Originally it was thought that only the main stand would be knocked but now it seems the whole ground is going to be knocked and rebuilt. Probably no harm to be honest. It was a dilapidated wreck and not fit for purpose. That said i would imagine that planning laws are somehow not strictly being adhered to here :D

They went outside the planning and held up the project for a while but everything in full swing down their, massive project. Place was a mess, needed to be knocked.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    They went outside the planning and held up the project for a while but everything in full swing down their, massive project. Place was a mess, needed to be knocked.

What you mean Frank is bending the rules to suit him?! NEVER!! :D

Totally in agreement with the latter statement. Suppose nothing went there it needed to be knocked. A Hillsborough waiting to happen. The concourses between the turnstiles and stands were an absolute disgrace.

I wonder what Frank and Company would say if the Waterford County Board said we want to play in Thurles, we love playing there and having the small town craic. We will have played in Thurles four times this year and we don't need our Sat Navs.

Many Tipp and Waterford fans use the tunnel. No atmosphere in Cork or Limerick. Always a great carnival atmosphere in Thurles.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    I wonder what Frank and Company would say if the Waterford County Board said we want to play in Thurles, we love playing there and having the small town craic. We will have played in Thurles four times this year and we don't need our Sat Navs.

Many Tipp and Waterford fans use the tunnel. No atmosphere in Cork or Limerick. Always a great carnival atmosphere in Thurles.

Waterford have asked the Munster council for thurles in the past and have been told no dice. The reason thurles got the nod last yr is due to closure of PUC and in 2009 because of the 125 celebrations. I agree that the setup of Thurles lends itself nicely to a big game with liberty square and the stadium not too far away from each other. The cork players and fans love it too. But Frank will get his way when a new ground has to be paid for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Waterford have told the Munster council in the past and have been told no dice. I agree that the setup of Thurles lends itself nicely to a big game with liberty square and the stadium not too far away from each other

They did that to get more money from it though, as they would offer the game to Tipp in exchange for some of the money Cork would not be getting.

I won't mind playing in Cork when they build a modern stadium. But I did mind that other safety hazard. Limerick is just a terrible pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

PUC is just a waste of money. Another big stadium in Munster just isn't needed. It's a pity they didn't just put the money towards redeveloping Thurles into a top class stadium. It's starting to get very dilapidated.

redlead wrote: »
    PUC is just a waste of money. Another big stadium in Munster just isn't needed. It's a pity they didn't just put the money towards redeveloping Thurles into a top class stadium. It's starting to get very dilapidated.

Whatever about not building a new stadium there I certainly think the old one was long overdue being knocked. is it not the Cork county board who are in charge of the project with the Munster and HQ just part funding it? To be honest i kinda like the home and away arrangement that Tipp and Cork have and it adds to the spice of the rivalry. Would be unfair if every game was held in Thurles between the two

redlead wrote: »

I would agree, this is a vanity project on behalf of Cork County Board. Thurles is the place to hurl. Park Ui Rinn could hold Munster Football Finals albeit all ticket affairs. A bit late now suggesting Mallow for a stadium, so much for bringing life back to small towns !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Paddico

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

The hurlers played Galway last night in Salthill, lost by 4-18 to 3-18, most of Tipp's first team came off at ht.

The team listed to play against Cork. If Robbie Kiely and Conor Sweeney are to start, who will make way ?

1. Evan Comerford – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    2. Colm O’Shaughnessy – Ardfinnan
    3. Alan Campbell – Moyle Rovers
    4. Ciarán Mc Donald – Aherlow
    5. Bill Maher – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    6. Peter Acheson (Capt.) – Moyle Rovers
    7. Shane Leahy – Arravale Rovers
    8. Martin Dunne – Moyle Rovers
    9. George Hannigan – Shannon Rovers
    10. Josh Keane – Golden-Kilfeacle
    11. Alan Moloney – Rockwell Rovers
    12. Brian Fox – Éire Óg Annacarty
    13. Kevin O’Halloran – Portroe
    14. Michael Quinlivan – Clonmel Commercials
    15. Philip Austin – Borrisokane
    Subs:
    16. Ciarán Kenrick – Moyle Rovers
    17. Conor Sweeney – Ballyporeen
    18. Robbie Kiely – Carbery Rangers
    19. Jimmy Feehan – Killenaule
    20. Ian Fahey – Clonmel Commercials
    21. Billy Hewitt – Ardfinnan
    22. Mark Hanley – Aherlow
    23. Donal Lynch – Clonmel Commercials
    24. John O’Callaghan – Ballyporeen
    25. Donough Leahy – Arravale Rovers
    26. Shane O’Connell – Golden-Kilfeacle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

If we can hold on here it'll be our senior footballers best result I can remember.
    Didn't see this coming. Hon tipp.

Great performance, the team had great self belief, great determination kept going in the face of adversity. Pity it's Killarney for the final the Kerry support will be worth an extra man. However if we do not beat Kerry we will still have another day out.

Final Score.....................

Tipperary............3.15.................Cork...........2.16.

And this was football ! :):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Magnificent achievement by the players - given the difficulties faced this year!

(However, 2,734 spectators is a serious issue. But, that's for another day.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭klose

When were tipp last in a munster football final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

I think it was 2002 against Cork..

1998, I think...

Yes, you're right. It went to a replay - unlucky the first day. Cork destroyed Tipp in the replay...

The real question is ! When were Tipperary in a Senior Munster Final in both codes, to save time you can search backwards from 1944 !

Yes, you're right. It went to a replay - unlucky the first day. Cork destroyed Tipp in the replay...

That Cork today wouldn't destroy Tipp in a replay although tbh i feared the worst coming into this game.

Its an astonishing result for the lads.

I owe Kearns and the team an apology tbh because I had them completely written off after the Kildare game back in late March and i dismissed Kearns as another manager just coasting through the county for what he could get but his passion was evident at the final whistle today. They were so poor that day against the Lilywhites they looked a beaten docket.

What a performance. We wobbled at the end but we were out on our feet having put in such a huge effort. O'Halloran (nerves of steel), Acheson and Fox in particular were absolutely immense. Acheson took the game by the scruff of the neck and ran himself into the ground after the disappointment of missing a penalty earlier on. Fox was a constant menace.

The big question is can we build on this? Kerry have home advantage and bags of experience but its high time that Tipp at least stood up and believed in themselves. Kerry are a far better team then Cork but are nothing out of this world either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The big question is can we build on this? Kerry have home advantage and bags of experience but its high time that Tipp at least stood up and believed in themselves. Kerry are a far better team then Cork but are nothing out of this world either.

They've been in the last 2 All Ireland finals.

How many have Tipp been in?

I'm as thrilled for ye, as everyone else, but come on now....

Can't see them beating Kerry - but, a performance of character and fight to the end is a must and will be a big improvement on the last few showings against Kerry at senior. If we can get withing five of them it would be a good improvement. Maybe, if Tipp can get to Munster regular over the next five years they can nip a Munster at senior which would be huge...

Acheson would make any county team... - he should be on the rules teams...in my opinion

ProudDUB wrote: »
    They've been in the last 2 All Ireland finals.

How many have Tipp been in?

I'm as thrilled for ye, as everyone else, but come on now....

They are not as good as the Kerry teams of old though tbf and have an ageing side. Yes they did make the finals the last two years but that says more about the overall quality rather then the quality of Kerry themselves. They didnt knock anyones socks off in quite a while although tbf to Eamon Fitzmaurice he is a pragmatist who is trying to get the most out of what he has at his disposal.

Look i agree they are hot favourites, but lets not just wave the white flag just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

Is the hurling match been showing on TV next week

• Advertisement

shauna17 wrote: »
    Is the hurling match been showing on TV next week

Yep on RTE

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0508/786952-rte-gaa-championship-coverage-2016/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

They are not as good as the Kerry teams of old though tbf and have an ageing side. Yes they did make the finals the last two years but that says more about the overall quality rather then the quality of Kerry themselves. They didnt knock anyones socks off in quite a while although tbf to Eamon Fitzmaurice he is a pragmatist who is trying to get the most out of what he has at his disposal.

Look i agree they are hot favourites, but lets not just wave the white flag just yet.
    Nobody has said anything about waving a white flag but they have been in the last 2 all Irelands and while they may not be as good as some Kerry teams of old they are still significantly better than all bar Cork we've played this year.

While all of that may be true on paper, they have been breathing much more rarified air than Tipp have & they have been good enough to make it to back to back AI finals. So I wouldn't be dismissing them as being "not out of this world", not until you have made the jump up to their level....which as of now, is several worlds removed from Tipps. Cork caught them on the hop last year. They'll want to make sure that won't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

not surprised ye beat cork and made the final , it was coming with a while , just slightly surprised it happened under the kerins regime and especially after the league ye had

a big cheer went up in fitzgerald stadium when the news filtered through from both sets of supporters today , hopfully ye can follow in clonmel's footsteps .....but it will be a huge ask the next day

well done lads great win !!

ProudDUB wrote: »
    While all of that may be true on paper, they have been breathing much more rarified air than Tipp have & they have been good enough to make it to back to back AI finals. So I wouldn't be dismissing them as being "not out of this world", not until you have made the jump up to their level....which as of now, is several worlds removed from Tipps. Cork caught them on the hop last year. They'll want to make sure that won't happen again.

Ah yeah i agree with your point no worries and ill be keeping my feet on the ground for this one but at the same time you'd hope that at the very least we'll have a right cut at them.

My point is that Kerry are mortal compare to the teams of old. Still effective but mortal. On a given day, with a proper plan in place, we can give ourselves a chance. FWIW i think they are a far better setup than Cork who seem very disjointed and brittle.

Nobody has said anything about waving a white flag but they have been in the last 2 all Irelands and while they may not be as good as some Kerry teams of old they are still significantly better than all bar Cork we've played this year.

Id agree with that to be fair but on any given day, anything is possible. Kerry have talent and experience but they are an ageing side too. Last year their backs were completely at sea against us in the first half.

Ah yeah i agree with your point no worries and ill be keeping my feet on the ground for this one but at the same time you'd hope that at the very least we'll have a right cut at them.

My point is that Kerry are mortal compare to the teams of old. Still effective but mortal. On a given day, with a proper plan in place, we can give ourselves a chance. FWIW i think they are a far better setup than Cork who seem very disjointed and brittle.

Hey, if Leicester can win the Premiership, if Connacht can win the Pro 12, if Ireland can beat the Springboks for the first time ever on SA soil, & if Tipp can bate Cork for the first time in 72 years.....Tipp can certainly beat Kerry. And I for one, will be cheering like a mad lunatic if ye do ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Was at the match on Sunday. The performance was unbelievable, the victory was well-deserved and credit to the players for never giving up! I admit that I'm a bit less hopeful of Tipp pulling off the same result against Kerry but you never know in sport, esp. Gaelic Football. Hon The Premier! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Meant to login sooner and congratulate Tipp Footballers on the historic win on Sunday. It has been coming with a while and I think its good for football in Munster having a result like that. I can imagine it's a huge boost to all Tipp football people aswell I know there a lot of people doing fierce work with underage squads and other teams behind the scenes. Also feels only right seeing the likes of Quinlivan, Acheson, Fox, Hannigan, Sweeney celebrating a big win. They are all top class footballers and would grace a lot of county teams.

Hope ye bring a big crowd to Killarney now on July 3rd. Should be an interesting change of scenery.

• Advertisement

Any team news for Tipp on Sunday?

Looks like Limerick are bringing in a lot more of the successful underage talent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Any team news for Tipp on Sunday?

Looks like Limerick are bringing in a lot more of the successful underage talent...

Partly out of necessity I believe. I don't think Teej has a united camp down there.

What have you heard?

Limerick have named four Championship debutants for Sunday's Munster semi-final against Tipperary at Semple Stadium.

All Ireland under 21 winners Diarmaid Byrnes, Richie English, Gearoid Hegarty, and Barry Nash are included in the Limerick team.

Limerick: N Quaid; T Condon, D Morrissey, R English; D Byrnes, G O'Mahony, S Hickey; J Ryan, P Browne; G Hegarty, S Dowling, B Nash; G Mulcahy, D Hannon, C Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I heard Donagh Maher could be starting ahead of Cahill, don't know is it injury related or just based on form, could be total nonsense either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Limerick have named four Championship debutants for Sunday's Munster semi-final against Tipperary at Semple Stadium.

All Ireland under 21 winners Diarmaid Byrnes, Richie English, Gearoid Hegarty, and Barry Nash are included in the Limerick team.

Limerick: N Quaid; T Condon, D Morrissey, R English; D Byrnes, G O'Mahony, S Hickey; J Ryan, P Browne; G Hegarty, S Dowling, B Nash; G Mulcahy, D Hannon, C Lynch.

Cian Lynch was on U21 team also

• Advertisement

Sunday is going to be a heavy rain day - I wonder will that affect team selection...

Cahill was beaten by Cadogan the last day and has been struggling with injuries/form. I wouldn't be that surprised if he was dropped but I would be surprised if it was Maher who replaced him. That said Ryan likes a surprise - but, Maher certainly wouldn't be good enough to face KK at the business end of the championship.

I wonder will Seamus Kennedy get a place on the starting 15 ?

One change to the Tipperary Senior Hurling team to play Limerick, Patrick Maher in for Sean Curran

Tipp SH v Limerick: Gleeson Barrett Barry Cahill Kennedy R Maher P Maher B Maher Breen McCormack P Maher N McGrath ODwyer Callanan J McGrath

Gleeson

Barrett............ Barry.......... Cahill

Kennedy........... R Maher ......P Maher

B Maher...... Breen

McCormack........ P Maher.......N McGrath

O'Dwyer.............Callanan..... J McGrath

If I was living in the Midlands I would probably say that this changes mahers for the best.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement