Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

robinbird wrote: »
    There is going to be a lot of vacant retail space when city centre opens up.
    Combine that with council policy to have a car dominated public spaces and its not going to be too attractive or pleasant.

agree its quiet worrying on how the city centre is going to look after this, with all the WFH as well and people not about its going to have a pretty big impact !

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Looks like the Starbucks in Ballincollig won't be reopening. It's no longer listed on the store located and is listed as permanently closed on Google

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted scaffolding up at the Roundy this morning, guess they're planning some renovations while everything is shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

^ Interesting, they painted it not too long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

opus wrote: »
    Spotted scaffolding up at the Roundy this morning, guess they're planning some renovations while everything is shut down.

I see lots of pubs doing exterior renovations and I can't help wondering, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I see lots of pubs doing exterior renovations and I can't help wondering, why?

I see what you're saying, but its probably not a bad move to do these things while normal business is disrupted anyway, and the cleaned up look might draw in a few new heads when things come good, or may just stop the rot if its a job that would be needed sometime soon anyway. Make use of the hardware openings!

satanta99 wrote: »
    Looks like the Starbucks in Ballincollig won't be reopening. It's no longer listed on the store located and is listed as permanently closed on Google

Hope something good goes into this unit that could use the open space around for tables

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Really hope that kildare village suggestion for Cork does not get planning. Challenging enough times ahead for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

The city council could help a little with a clear, unambiguous, 6 months rates waiver (minimum) for all shops imho....

But as usual they're dragging their heels.... continuing to gouge the golden goose of cash & cashflow in lean times ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Really hope that kildare village suggestion for Cork does not get planning. Challenging enough times ahead for the city.

I've seen a few people online too saying this shouldn't go ahead. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

It will destroy retail in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It will destroy retail in the city.

If it’s Kildare village style then it won’t be the same sort of shops that are in the city centre regardless, completely different markets.

I don’t really have an objection either way. With more businesses closing down by the day, new employment opportunities would be welcomed by the many people who have lost their jobs to the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

daithi7 wrote: »
    The city council could help a little with a clear, unambiguous, 6 months rates waiver (minimum) for all shops imho....

But as usual they're dragging their heels.... continuing to gouge the golden goose of cash & cashflow in lean times ....

43% of the council budgeted income is from rates. You can't just slash that income stream. Where do you plug the gap from? Would people be happy with housing services going to the wall for example? Would they pay increased LPT to cover the gap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If it’s Kildare village style then it won’t be the same sort of shops that are in the city centre regardless, completely different markets.

I don’t really have an objection either way. With more businesses closing down by the day, new employment opportunities would be welcomed by the many people who have lost their jobs to the pandemic.

I'm a guy in my mid 50's and find the selection of clothes for my age group very poor in Cork city centre, Mahon Point has even less to offer, yet I've never leave Kildare Village empty handed. I love going into Cork city centre for a browse and coffee but if it's clothes I'm looking for, the 1h 40m drive up the motorway to Kildare Village is usually far more fruitful. It would be great to see some of those shops in Cork city centre.

Happy to see Sonny's Deli is coming back, I'm quite partial to their Ruben although will have to wait a while.

https://twitter.com/Sonnys_Deli/status/1264918747011321856

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

satanta99 wrote: »

The unit that it's in is lovely, and I'm sorry for the staff who don't have a job to return to but there are much nicer independent coffee shops in Ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Retail in the city has suffered for all sorts of reasons, the outlet getting planning or not will not affect the majority of reasons why retail does and will continue to suffer. It's a generic, one for all excuse and objection for any retail park that opens up outside a city. I hope it does get planning personally, will be good to have a central place that is browseable, unlike a lot of the unimaginative city centre places. It might also challenge the city representatives and retail to buck up their ideas a bit and turn the city into something they have only waffled on about for years.

Corholio wrote: »
    Retail in the city has suffered for all sorts of reasons, the outlet getting planning or not will not affect the majority of reasons why retail does and will continue to suffer. It's a generic, one for all excuse and objection for any retail park that opens up outside a city. I hope it does get planning personally, will be good to have a central place that is browseable, unlike a lot of the unimaginative city centre places. It might also challenge the city representatives and retail to buck up their ideas a bit and turn the city into something they have only waffled on about for years.

Thats a fair perspective. Whats gets me is that bringing this idea into the city, in patrick street empty units or even the space opposite events centre you might go a long way to solving the preexisting issues and the one of satellite offerings degrading the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see the gala shop on Camden quay is gone.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    I see the gala shop on Camden quay is gone.

That closed at the beginning of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

i noticed Monsoon on Patricks Street stock has been cleared - not sure how long now ... so many empty units on Patricks street when things start getting back to some sort of norm

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

whatever76 wrote: »
    i noticed Monsoon on Patricks Street stock has been cleared - not sure how long now ... so many empty units on Patricks street when things start getting back to some sort of norm

It looks like they could be going into administration but they were supposed to close eventually anyway for the redevelopment of the building for the rumoured tenant of Zara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

That closed at the beginning of January.

Didn't realise it was gone that long lack of footfall in that area I suppose.

I guess. It's a weird little spot, too many roads to cross. I live close to there but would rarely walk directly past the shop.

Living in Shandon figure I've walked past there quite a bit but realised I'd never gone inside the door. Strange it didn't do ok as quite a few large apartments block very close by.

Noticed that the coffee shop in the Maldron hotel on the South Mall is open for take away now & also there were a few people working on the restaurant being developed around the corner on Parnell Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Jam at Hanley won't reopen, the company behind them have announced the closure of all cafes tonight.

Shame as the staff were really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Jam in Ballincollig closed too.

EDIT: Oops just saw you said all closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Lifestyle Sports in Capitol building one of 6 reopening in Ireland on Monday. Penneys to remain closed for foreseeable.

Advertisement