Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

BruteStock wrote: »
    I reckon a few Subways may bite the dust. The unit in pouladuff road seems to be empty all the time , even before the Covid struck.

Wonder if PrimeTime in town will survive as well. I don't shop there but it was nice to see them still going after all these years.

The one on college road is gone a few months now too. I think Subway is past it's sell by date in Cork, lots of better options around.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The one on college road is gone a few months now too. I think Subway is past it's sell by date in Cork, lots of better options around.

Surprising. I thought Subway would have been popular with students. Or maybe I'm just out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Subway is overpriced when you can get a chicken fillet roll and a drink in most Centra stores for €4

• Registered Users Posts: 30,344 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Subway is overpriced when you can get a chicken fillet roll and a drink in most Centra stores for €4

Now I know most deli counters aren't known for there quality but you might have a chance of getting a decent slice of ham or turkey at them sometime but the Subway meat is generally very poor!

I reckon a few Subways may bite the dust. The unit in pouladuff road seems to be empty all the time , even before the Covid struck. ........

Same owners/operators as the Douglas Village one iirc. Brothers I think.
    .......Wonder if PrimeTime in town will survive as well. I don't shop there but it was nice to see them still going after all these years.

Nice shop and owner. I don't shop there either but it's a nice retail outlet in the city. Especially along where it is IMO, breaks up the food places a tad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Harika wrote: »
    Starbucks mahon point shopping center disappeared from the Starbucks page.

There were people in there today behind the shutters and appeared to be stocking the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭thomil

There were people in there today behind the shutters and appeared to be stocking the shelves.

If things here in Ballincollig are anything to go by, they’ll have removed most of the food and merchandise options, and will install plastic screens both at the cashier and “collection” points before opening. They’ll likely set up a one way system as well...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Just saw in Facebook that Starbucks Mahon is reopening Thursday the 11th of June at 10am.
    Monday - Saturday 10am - 6pm.
    Sunday 12pm - 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chrisd2019

Just saw in Facebook that Starbucks Mahon is reopening Thursday the 11th of June at 10am.
    Monday - Saturday 10am - 6pm.
    Sunday 12pm - 6pm.

Personally am struggling to see the point in going to a coffee shop to get a take away coffee. Might be ok in summer but in winter I can see many people buying a good coffee machine and making their own good quality coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    Personally am struggling to see the point in going to a coffee shop to get a take away coffee. Might be ok in summer but in winter I can see many people buying a good coffee machine and making their own good quality coffee.

100s of 1000s of workers in Ireland get a takeaway coffee on their way into work every single morning (and often have to queue for it) winter or summer and sometimes another one later in the day. The only threat I see to this is increased numbers being able to work from home that will remain indefinitely as it becomes more normalised even after the pandemic subsides.

• Advertisement

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    Personally am struggling to see the point in going to a coffee shop to get a take away coffee..........

Not much more expensive then a service station or convenience store for likely a better product.
    Take-away coffee has been popular for years now.

I see Monsoon Accessorize has shut up shop, presume this will hit Ireland as well

The owner appears to have bought it out of administration and looks like opening a smaller model under a different brand name

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I see Monsoon Accessorize has shut up shop, presume this will hit Ireland as well

The owner appears to have bought it out of administration and looks like opening a smaller model under a different brand name

Patrick Street shops won't reopen - not sure about Mahon Point. Jaysus, they're dropping like flies on Pana :(

ongarboy wrote: »
    100s of 1000s of workers in Ireland get a takeaway coffee on their way into work every single morning (and often have to queue for it) winter or summer and sometimes another one later in the day. The only threat I see to this is increased numbers being able to work from home that will remain indefinitely as it becomes more normalised even after the pandemic subsides.

True, though in the last recession one area that was greatly impacted was the discretionary food spending of working people, many moved to bringing their own lunch to work.

leahyl wrote: »
    Patrick Street shops won't reopen - not sure about Mahon Point. Jaysus, they're dropping like flies on Pana :(

More room on Pana for another burger shop perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Be right back

leahyl wrote: »

As far as I know, all Monsoon shops are closed in Ireland. About 500 staff out of a job.

As far as I know, all Monsoon shops are closed in Ireland. About 500 staff out of a job.

According to RTE news!

The shops to close include outlets in Dublin, Cork and Kilkenny. The company also has shops in Drogheda, Limerick, Galway, Sligo and Athlone.

According to RTE news!

The shops to close include outlets in Dublin, Cork and Kilkenny. The company also has shops in Drogheda, Limerick, Galway, Sligo and Athlone.

All may not be lost, Peter Simon who owns Monsoon and Accesorize bought the companies back from the liquidator under the guise of his other company Adena.

Journal.ie reported tonight

Adena is now set to enter talks with the landlords of many of Monsoon and Accessorize’s 230 stores to see if they can reach terms to reopen them once the coronavirus lockdown ends on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Thats good to hear. Isnt that building due for refurb anyway, and werent Zara going in? Obviously who knows at this stage, but if that was happening hopefully they can take another vacated space.

Interesting take in the Cork Developments thread that the Pana closures are primarily UK high street chains which seems true and may be brexit related. Hopefully that is the case and a healthy local or european market can replace these with retail or hospitality before too long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Wonder would shaws take one of the former debenhams sites

• Advertisement

Wonder would shaws take one of the former debenhams sites

I was thinking similar but would they want the hassle.
    I know some of the larger Shaws stock similar brands and some good ones and they'd have alright sales to but they'd be taking on massive rent and rates.

That is true but there is a lot of empty retail sadly in Cork now. Plus the push to support Irish business is there now too more than ever and Shaws are good stocking fellow Irish brands. Would be a good replacement for the Debenhams works. The refurb one in the Crescent in Limerick is a nice store

Parking wardens having a field day on Grand Parade today

That is true but there is a lot of empty retail sadly in Cork now. Plus the push to support Irish business is there now too more than ever and Shaws are good stocking fellow Irish brands. Would be a good replacement for the Debenhams works. The refurb one in the Crescent in Limerick is a nice store

In general I’ve always preferred Shaws over Debenhams as a guy. Apart from if you were looking something formal.
    I’d prefer a lot of there homewards also.
    If they did open a Cork store with all the Concessions it would be good.
    There sales are also alright to.
    There’s a few of them around the midlands and I think the unit in Whitewater in Newbridge would be suited to them.
    Some have a prudish attitude to them.

There trying to online sales now through an app called Buzzu. But not all there stock is on it when I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Parking wardens having a field day on Grand Parade today

Good! Parking in town has been brutal lately for commercial vehicles

In general I’ve always preferred Shaws over Debenhams as a guy. Apart from if you were looking something formal.
    I’d prefer a lot of there homewards also.
    If they did open a Cork store with all the Concessions it would be good.
    There sales are also alright to.
    There’s a few of them around the midlands and I think the unit in Whitewater in Newbridge would be suited to them.
    Some have a prudish attitude to them.

There trying to online sales now through an app called Buzzu. But not all there stock is on it when I checked.

Yes agrees good for homeware. Their on-line presence needs to be improved big time. Id be more familar with the one in the Crescent in Limerick. Wasnt in the one in Roscrea since i was a kid. But just before covid I was in the one in the crescent and they were v busy with parents in getting 1st communion dresses. Think Mahon might be more suited than Patricks st the more i think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Mothercare in ireland is gone. Should be in the papers tomorrow. They emailed there staff today

Good! Parking in town has been brutal lately for commercial vehicles

Totally see your point as its been a free for all but, these guys were on a mission today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Totally see your point as its been a free for all but, these guys were on a mission today

Again tho. That’s good. The amount of times I can’t get parking to go to a break down and am waiting for cars too move out of loading bays is mental. They you see people strolling back getting into their cars with a bag of shopping and a take away coffee

• Advertisement

Mothercare in ireland is gone. Should be in the papers tomorrow. They emailed there staff today

Just saw it in the Echo online. It doesn't surprise me to be honest. Surprised it lasted this long.

Advertisement