Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

Jam at Hanley won't reopen, the company behind them have announced the closure of all cafes tonight.

Shame as the staff were really nice

That's a real shame. They had delicious food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

That's a real shame. They had delicious food too.

Absolutely. I'll miss that place. They were always busy too.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Jam at Hanley won't reopen, the company behind them have announced the closure of all cafes tonight.

Shame as the staff were really nice

I'm sad it is gone. I had lunch there regularly and the food was always great and the place was always really busy whenever I was there. It seemed to have a loyal customer base and would have thought they would have been well placed for when things reopen in terms of customer demand. Ballincollig only opened in August so a business casualty of Covid I'm presuming.

A family member worked for the company for a number of years and only had positive things to say about them as an employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

There is a rumour that Arnotts are taking over The Debenhams shop on Patricks St. Please note rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

kub wrote: »
    There is a rumour that Arnotts are taking over The Debenhams shop on Patricks St. Please note rumour.

Arnotts are owned by the owners of Brown Thomas, would strike me as odd to have them so close together if true. But variety would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Starbucks mahon point shopping center disappeared from the Starbucks page.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

dulpit wrote: »
    Arnotts are owned by the owners of Brown Thomas, would strike me as odd to have them so close together if true. But variety would be good.

But it would stamp out a competitor going in there. It would be great for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

But it would stamp out a competitor going in there. It would be great for Cork.

Can't see any competitor for Brown Thomas opening there. Who's going to need 150,000 sq foot of high end retail. Arnotts really doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Can't see any competitor for Brown Thomas opening there. Who's going to need 150,000 sq foot of high end retail. Arnotts really doesn't make sense.

I think it makes huge sense, Arnotts are very similar in many ways to Debenhams and very different to BT so the site would suit. They also stock from a lot of the same suppliers so deliveries could be shared

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Harika wrote: »
    Starbucks mahon point shopping center disappeared from the Starbucks page.

Would love to see a decent coffee shop in mahon point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Would love to see a decent coffee shop in mahon point

Both Starbucks and Insomnia may be gone now. I'm not suggesting they are good coffee shops by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Can't see anything online but I saw the kitchen equipment from the cafe at Dwyers Electrical being taken away. Wonder are they shutting too? Loved that place. It was something a bit different. The bacon rolls were really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I think it makes huge sense, Arnotts are very similar in many ways to Debenhams and very different to BT so the site would suit. They also stock from a lot of the same suppliers so deliveries could be shared

I'd see Arnotts as quite positive, Brown Thomas is quite niche and I would say quite limited in it's range unless you're a woman with plenty of spending power. My impression of Arnotts would be down a notch from BT's with a much broader range of lines and definitely better than Debenhams when it comes to men's clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Brennan's Cookshop and cookery school on Oliver Plunkett Street gone into liquidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Brennan's Cookshop and cookery school on Oliver Plunkett Street gone into liquidation.

The shop has been gone a few months but now the whole company has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

The shop has been gone a few months but now the whole company has gone.

I thought it was just moving in March? Don't think they got to open the new place in Doughcloyne before lockdown. Shame to see them gone altogether though, they were great for baking equipment and had a wider range than anywhere else in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I thought it was just moving in March? Don't think they got to open the new place in Doughcloyne before lockdown. Shame to see them gone altogether though, they were great for baking equipment and had a wider range than anywhere else in town.

Really sad, great supplier to a lot of Cork restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The wholesale outlet has been there for years in Doughcloyne. They were closing the city centre shop and transferring the business to their Doughcloyne outlet.
    Unfortunately, now, the whole business has gone belly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Seamai wrote: »
    I'd see Arnotts as quite positive, Brown Thomas is quite niche and I would say quite limited in it's range unless you're a woman with plenty of spending power. My impression of Arnotts would be down a notch from BT's with a much broader range of lines and definitely better than Debenhams when it comes to men's clothing.

Arnotts would be great, its a slightly different market to BTs (closer to my own) but its still high quality which the city could do with a boost of, not only that but the 'newness' of it would attract a crowd too you'd think in comparison to Debenhams. Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

I think it would make more sense for Arnotts to take over Mahon Point. But the only downside to that is the warehouse for that store was in Blarney, so not sure what the situation with that is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

calnand wrote: »
    I think it would make more sense for Arnotts to take over Mahon Point. But the only downside to that is the warehouse for that store was in Blarney, so not sure what the situation with that is now.

Forgot that there will be a massive empty space there now too, it will be very interesting to see what takes that store, is anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

The Kingsley Hotel have opened a coffee kiosk to service the throngs of people using the path at the Lee Fields now. Hope it will keep going despite their legal squabble!

515653.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

Starbucks in Ballincollig is Open again. It’s take-away only and there’s only a limited amount of food and pastries available for now.

While I know that a lot of people aren’t too fond of Starbucks, it’s still good to see this particular one open again as it would have been a shame to see that building become vacant again.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Does anyone know when the Apple store on opera lane is open?

fin12 wrote: »

If it's the Compu-b place they've being open with a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It’s open but by appointment only. I have an appointment on Weds- took me over 2 weeks of trying before I got one. You have to book online.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

thomil wrote: »
    Starbucks in Ballincollig is Open again. It’s take-away only and there’s only a limited amount of food and pastries available for now.

While I know that a lot of people aren’t too fond of Starbucks, it’s still good to see this particular one open again as it would have been a shame to see that building become vacant again.

That's good news. Would have been a shame to see that unit empty. I think they did a great job re-using that heritage building.

Hopefully they will put in outdoor seating to take more advantage of the plaza outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Would the compu-b place be able to assist with getting a replacement battery for an iPad?

Would the compu-b place be able to assist with getting a replacement battery for an iPad?

Just ring them on 1850 668 888!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I reckon a few Subways may bite the dust. The unit in pouladuff road seems to be empty all the time , even before the Covid struck.

Wonder if PrimeTime in town will survive as well. I don't shop there but it was nice to see them still going after all these years.

Advertisement