Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

The Patrick's Street store was put up for sale by the Roche family back in 2017. Don't know if it ever sold

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sale-time-at-debenhams-cork-store-460757.html

There were plans outlined to split it into 3 medium sized units and a 220 bed aparthotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I think the Mahon site would suit Marks and Spencer’s. Their douglas store was always too small.

Marks are already falling off in the uk. Face it retail is absolutely goosed and this covid19 has put a couple more nails in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Mahon To me has penny’s all over it, as penny’s I could see haveing a 3rd store in cork there is a market for it and a penny’s in a shopping center will make more come to it, or even sports direct might try and take it,

While the city is the problem one someone like Zara might open in the city as they been trying for years to get a large unit they could put all there brands into it not just Zara, they could make it like a shopping center of Zara brands,

But who knows who’s going to take the risk in these time’s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Mahon To me has penny’s all over it

you're probably right, the race to the bottom will be complete then.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,578 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It'll be a major headache to Mahon Point, I cant see which retailer would fill that void.

TK Maxx, Brown Thomas or Harvey Nichols to fill vacant Debenhams units?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Debenhams were in trouble long before covid 19 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ofcork wrote: »
    Debenhams were in trouble long before covid 19 though.

yep, the writing was on the wall for a long time. A big blow for the centre and a massive hit for the employees.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

TK Max would be OK for Patrick street, their cornmarket street store is small enough compared to some of their others.

I love walking through debenhams for old times sake, rarely buy anything there though....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Not sure there is huge demand for Brown Thomas or Harvey Nichols

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Eod100 wrote: »

Brown Thomas aren’t moving for there and it’s really not the right “fit” for either stores image. Honestly, Penny’s seems like best call, probably for the ground section, while paying FA rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,578 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Eod100 wrote: »

In Mahon Point?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

In Mahon Point?

Wouldn't say there's demand for another high end store in Cork, especially with uncertain economic times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

TK Maxx had 'apparently' made a comment that they were not looking to go back into Douglas Village, so thats a possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

bogman wrote: »
    Have a puncture in my car tire, anywhere opened to get it plugged, west side of the city...?

Ballincollig Tyres are open by appointment only, I got a puncture sorted there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I hope we dont see another sports super store in there.
    A Brown Thomas expansion or something new would be nice for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

tailgunner wrote: »
    Ballincollig Tyres are open by appointment only, I got a puncture sorted there yesterday.

Thanks Tailgunner, BestDrive, (Advanced Pitstop) Togher just off Vicars Road sorted me out yesterday afternoon, they are open today also, job well done...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

The only company I can think of who might be open to negotiating a good deal for themselves with the Roches would be Decathlon.

They were due to open their first Irish superstore in Ballymun next to Ikea and have expansion plans for the rest of Ireland.

I've been to a few of their larger stores in France that would have had a similar floor space to the Roches building, albeit in denser populated areas.

Of course it's exactly what Cork City centre needs..... another sports shop :D

(tbf, their quality and price point puts the branded stuff in Lifestyle to shame)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The only company I can think of who might be open to negotiating a good deal for themselves with the Roches would be Decathlon.

They were due to open their first Irish superstore in Ballymun next to Ikea and have expansion plans for the rest of Ireland.

I've been to a few of their larger stores in France that would have had a similar floor space to the Roches building, albeit in denser populated areas.

Of course it's exactly what Cork City centre needs..... another sports shop :D

(tbf, their quality and price point puts the branded stuff in Lifestyle to shame)

I don't see Decathalon paying the rents. They'll be looking to build and own their own stores in the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Decathlon is suited to retail parks, city centre and shopping centres are pointless.
    Face it those units especially in Patrick st will be next to impossible to fill.
    Easons are looking for a large space but not that big.

rob316 wrote: »
    Decathlon is suited to retail parks, city centre and shopping centres are pointless.
    Face it those units especially in Patrick st will be next to impossible to fill.
    Easons are looking for a large space but not that big.

Patrick's Street unit will surely be broken up. How and when it will be filled really depends how we come out of this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Just stick kildare village in there (with a roof :)

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Just stick kildare village in there (with a roof :)

I can see Penney's going into Mahon and a huge success hopefully taking on Debenhams staff but Patrick Street is a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That Debenham's building would make an amazing food court.
    Think of 50 or more food stalls and a big, common eating area. Something like the hawker centres in Singapore.

Unfortunately, I don't think Cork has the population or inclination for such a centre but it would amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭stayback

Think of 50 or more food stalls and a big, common eating area. Something like the hawker centres in Singapore.

Unfortunately, I don't think Cork has the population or inclination for such a centre but it would amazing.

Sounds a great idea but unfortunately I think the gang in the English market might have a say or two in that decision.

stayback wrote: »
    Sounds a great idea but unfortunately I think the gang in the English market might have a say or two in that decision.

Yes, if hearsay is to be believed, they stopped a food court being added to the market.
    I don't get it. With little exception, the English Market doesn't sell prepared, ready to eat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Does anyone know what the status is with the proposed kildare village near carrigtwohill. Hopefully the current economic situation has put it to ground.

Does anyone know what the status is with the proposed kildare village near carrigtwohill. Hopefully the current economic situation has put it to ground.

I think that was refused planning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I think that was refused planning

It never went for planning, the Co Council tried to vary the Development plan to allow for an application but it was opposed by the Planning Regulator and the Minister then issued a draft direction ordering the county not to vary the plan.
    It’s direction is now out for public consultation.

That would be ideal but you'd need significant commercial interests to make it viable. A hotel and apartments on the top two floors with some retail to go with an open food court/hawker centre on the ground floor would be fantastic.

• Advertisement

Problem with that is the planning.

Patrick Street, that side of Maylor Street/ Winthrop street is zoned for retail use, the sale of food or drinks isn't allowed. That's the basis that Starbucks were refused and I think the Council could be on a sticky wicket in terms of Starbucks if they reversed that for the Debenhams site.

Advertisement