Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Problem with that is the planning.

Patrick Street, that side of Maylor Street/ Winthrop street is zoned for retail use, the sale of food or drinks isn't allowed. That's the basis that Starbucks were refused and I think the Council could be on a sticky wicket in terms of Starbucks if they reversed that for the Debenhams site.

I thought they changed the rules a few months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭beer enigma

snotboogie wrote: »
    I thought they changed the rules a few months ago?

It was muted last July that they may relax planning but as far as I was told (not an official source) this was never acted upon because of the fear or retrospective action by Mestonway, the company behind that Starbucks.

Pretty stupid planning rule to be honest

Patrick Street, that side of Maylor Street/ Winthrop street is zoned for retail use, the sale of food or drinks isn't allowed..............

Isn't there a restaurant in Debenhams?
    A McDonalds on Winthrop Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Patrick Street, that side of Maylor Street/ Winthrop street is zoned for retail use, the sale of food or drinks isn't allowed. That's the basis that Starbucks were refused and I think the Council could be on a sticky wicket in terms of Starbucks if they reversed that for the Debenhams site.

It's just a thing I'd love to see.
    I don't expect it.
    I don't think we'd have the population density to make a massive food centre viable anyway.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Augeo wrote: »
    Isn't there a restaurant in Debenhams?
    A McDonalds on Winthrop Street.

Is the restaurant a separate entity to Debenhams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Is the restaurant a separate entity to Debenhams?

No but the planning specifically related to ground floor street facing premises, thats how the cafe's in Merchants Quay are exempt as well as the Debenhams restaurant.

If Debenhams was turned over to a food market then it would be classed as street facing.

The McDonalds in Winthrop street isnt covered by the planning restriction, it covers Patrick Street from where it meets Winthrop Street down towards Merchants Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

It doesn't apply to old permissions, which is why McDonalds is fine there. Same with Vodafone when they were on Patrick Street, Carphone Warehouse, 3, etc

Wasn't the rumour before that Zara wanted to move into The Capitol but it was too far from Brown Thomas? With Debenhams now vacant, couldn't they move in there immediately instead of waiting for the Victoria Hotel to be done up (they're also right next to Brown Thomas then). The Victoria Hotel store was going to be over four floors while Debenhams is mostly over one

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Id take Zara in there, anyone that will make a go of it basically (except tracksuit peddlers)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,345 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Zara has being rumored to be moving into several units over the past few years and there always seems to be an excuse for them not moving in.

It's hard to know what they'd do with the Patrick Street unit.
    An option would be for Zara, Zara Home, Pull&Bear, Bershka, Stradivarius to open up a large store together but that's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Be right back

Zara has being rumored to be moving into several units over the past few years and there always seems to be an excuse for them not moving in.

It's hard to know what they'd do with the Patrick Street unit.
    An option would be for Zara, Zara Home, Pull&Bear, Bershka, Stradivarius to open up a large store together but that's unlikely.

I wonder would some of the smaller brands be interested in keeping their space there, like Wallis, Warehouse etc? I think pull and bear had an outlet there years ago.

• Advertisement

I wonder would some of the smaller brands be interested in keeping their space there, like Wallis, Warehouse etc? I think pull and bear had an outlet there years ago.

Had Zara a unit around there at some stage?

I know Pull & Bear was somewhere as well.

The places I mentioned are all owned by the same company from what I know.

I don't think Zara had. Possibly Mango had an outlet where Starbucks were for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

didn't Pull & Bear have a section in Roches?

didn't Pull & Bear have a section in Roches?

They did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Oasis and warehouse saying they are in trouble now too and may not reopen.

Would Shaws consider taking any of the stores on?
    I've being in a few and they've had a few conseesions or stocked similar similar to Debenhams. They had Phase Eight, Burton, Evans, Espirit, Clarks, Ecco,etc.
    Whilst they wouldn't be considered as cool as Debenhams. I did find there sales good enough.
    I'm referring to some of there bigger stores by the way and not little ones.

https://www.shaws.ie/brands/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭RINO87

Shaws.... almost nationwide you know, almost!! Could a Patrick St. Store be the final one they need to hit the heady heights of being fully nationwide?!

Hairspray aren’t reopening either!

Hairspray aren’t reopening either!

That's a pity. I thought they were doing well. Another empty building on Patrick street.

That's a pity. I thought they were doing well. Another empty building on Patrick street.

They said it was a mix of the Pana ban and the pandemic!

• Advertisement

Really? Right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Really? Right

I was wondering when the Pana ban was coming into play. :rolleyes:

Harika wrote: »
    I was wondering when the Pana ban was coming into play. :rolleyes:

I know. Exactly. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Wrong move blaming the Pana ban. Utter BS!

Wrong move blaming the Pana ban. Utter BS!

I’m actually sorry I mentioned it in the thread because on the debate that might start.

I’m actually sorry I mentioned it in the thread because on the debate that might start.

If that's one of their reasons, well I don't think footfall was down much. Maybe the novelty wore off or people went in, saw what they needed and got it online. It's a shame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

If that's one of their reasons, well I don't think footfall was down much. Maybe the novelty wore off or people went in, saw what they needed and got it online. It's a shame though.

Never good to see a store close and obviously jobs lost, but at the same time... To say "oh it was the Pana ban... Oh and Covid" is a bit odd. There's barely any/no proper on street parking on Patricks Street as it is.. And it's a 3 hr closure, between 3 and 6... On a single street.

Everything they sell can also be obtained online, and possibly cheaper. Like many stores, there are a number of factors that affect all in store retailers.

To blame that for a poorly performing store is just untrue and bad form.

We won't restart the debate though :D

Never good to see a store close and obviously jobs lost, but at the same time... To say "oh it was the Pana ban... Oh and Covid" is a bit odd. There's barely any/no proper on street parking on Patricks Street as it is.. And it's a 3 hr closure, between 3 and 6... On a single street.

Everything they sell can also be obtained online, and possibly cheaper. Like many stores, there are a number of factors that affect all in store retailers.

To blame that for a poorly performing store is just untrue and bad form.

We won't restart the debate though :D

Case closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Case closed..

Ya not before ye had to hijack this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Hairspray did very well when they were the only place in the city and one of only a few places in the county that did hair extensions.
    They had a monopoly because there was extremely limited options for both clip in & bonded extensions in Cork, so they had the run of the market.
    I always thought their hair was of a poor quality and overpriced so I used to travel to Dublin to get mine done at the time and I know many others that did the same.

Then more and more regular salons had their staff trained in extension application & brought many new hair brands into the city/county.
    Suddenly there were options like GoldFever, Great Lengths & Platinum which were better quality and much cheaper.
    These salons were also able to offer a discount on colour/cut if you got your extensions as part of the package too.
    The staff in Hairspray weren’t actually trained hairdressers, they were simply sales assistants who had been taught how to apply the hair, so you would have to go elsewhere for your colour/cut & then go back to them for your extensions. It was really annoying not being able to get it done all under one roof.
    To put it into perspective, you’d have to go to Hairspray to get current extensions removed, then off to another salon to get colour and cut done, and then back into Hairspray for reapplication of new hair extensions.
    This was their downfall, why would you pay more money & spend more time having to go to two different salons when you could go to one salon, get a cheaper price and take half the time?

Platinum on Washington St. opening last year was the nail in the coffin I’d say. They offered all services under one roof & are very reasonably priced.
    They actually opened a waitlist this week for when normality resumes, the cost was a €50 deposit to secure a spot and within 1 day they had received enough deposits to ensure they will be fully booked for 8 weeks in all three of their branches (they are open 12 hours a day, 6 days a week) when the salons all reopen.
    That should give you an idea of how successful they are and how loyal their customer base is, and they’re only open just over a year.
    They are popular and in demand.

If Hairspray had adjusted with the market they might have survived but afaik they never even tried.
    I presume a lot of it was to do with the fact that employing sales assistants is cheaper than employing qualified hairdressers, and they’re paying the price for that now.
    I feel bad for those who lost their jobs but it’s an extremely lucrative industry and they could have done very very well with a few simple business model adjustments. It’s really such a waste.

Advertisement