Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

.......... The amount of times I can’t get parking to go to a break down and am waiting for cars too move out of loading bays is mental...............

I'm not sure loading bays are for folk to park while attending to breakdowns tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm not sure loading bays are for folk to park while attending to breakdowns tbh.

Breakdown trucks are commercial vehicles - the only vehicles allowed to use loading bays.
    30 minute limit - it says nothing about being there for actual loading or unloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Totally see your point as its been a free for all but, these guys were on a mission today

They should be on a mission everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

fin12 wrote: »
    Would the compu-b place be able to assist with getting a replacement battery for an iPad?

I got one 2 days ago - chatted to apple care, they ran remote diagnostics, and decided we need to send the phone over, sent a link for payment and a packet was on the way. Arrived 2 days later, the courier guy said that he can come back to collect it next day (I hadn't backed up the phone so couldn't give it back straight away). Sent it off, battery replaced and phone back in 3 days after sending it on - so total of 6 days

Breakdown trucks are commercial vehicles - the only vehicles allowed to use loading bays.
    30 minute limit - it says nothing about being there for actual loading or unloading.

It's a given with a loading bay that......... Vehicles with a goods tax disc can park in a loading bay for a maximum of 30 minutes while actively loading or unloading. Loading bays are not parking spots for folk with commercial vehicles.

http://www.parkingireland.ie/car-parking/dos-donts/

4. Loading bays are for the loading and unloading of goods, and are used by commercially taxed vehicles only. There is usually a grace period of 30 minutes to allow commercial vehicles to load and unload their goods.This grace period must be strictly adhered to.

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/parking-services/where-to-park/on-street-parking.html

Loading Bays
    No parking during the hours indicated on the street sign.

Exceptions: Vehicles with a commercial tax disc can park in a loading bay for a maximum of 30 minutes. Must be actively loading and/or unloading

........... it says nothing about being there for actual loading or unloading.

It's a loading bay, to be fair that says it all.

• Advertisement

It's a given with a loading bay that......... Vehicles with a goods tax disc can park in a loading bay for a maximum of 30 minutes while actively loading or unloading. Loading bays are not parking spots for folk with commercial vehicles.

It's not a given amongst traffic wardens.
    As long as it's a commercial vehicle and isn't overstaying 30 minutes, it's entitled to be there.

You may not agree but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Loading bays are for goods vehicles to use while actively loading/unloading during the time indicated on the loading bay sign. They're not parking spots for any commercial vehicles according to the Regulations:

Parking in Loading Bays

42. (1) Where traffic sign number RRM 009 [Loading Bay] is provided, a vehicle other than a goods vehicle being used for loading or unloading shall not be parked during a period which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(2) A goods vehicle being used for loading or unloading shall not be parked in a loading bay for a period exceeding 30 minutes.

I was wrong.

As long as it's a commercial vehicle and isn't overstaying 30 minutes, it's entitled to be there.

No, it's not. Can you not read?
    https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-s...t-parking.html

Loading Bays
    No parking during the hours indicated on the street sign.

Exceptions: Vehicles with a commercial tax disc can park in a loading bay for a maximum of 30 minutes. Must be actively loading and/or unloading

It's not a given amongst traffic wardens.

traffic wardens rarely ticket private cars in loading bays. It's nothing to do with anyone agreeing or not.

I was wrong.

:pac:

• Advertisement

:pac:

Very big of you.

Very big of you.

Ah come ere now, you were the one preaching about "that's the way it is" when you were talking sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Just home from Penney’s and I have to say they’ve done an amazing job with the reopening.

They were due to open at 10:30am but ended up having to open at 9am as the queue had started at 3am and was heaving at that point. I joined the queue at about 11am and was in the door and all within half an hour - it was very long but moved very fast.
    Plenty of security were there managing the crowd and a manager walked down the queue and thanked everyone for their patience twice.

There was hand sanitiser by the door and the shop wasn’t overrun with customers, there was plenty of space to move around without bumping into anyone. The queue to pay was well managed too, they’ve removed a lot of their stock to accommodate the 2m distancing at the tills.
    They aren’t having any sales and there’s no price reductions, to avoid attracting even more crowds which I thought was decent of them.

I’ve queued for longer for Dunnes/Tesco so didn’t find the wait too much trouble. I was afraid it would be like the apocalypse in there today but it was a very calm, easy experience. Kudos to them for managing it so well because it had potential to go very very badly.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    .....Penney’s .....ended up having to open at 9am as the queue had started at 3am and was heaving at that point..........

:eek:

Unbelievable, folk must be bored sh1tless to spend half the night in a queue for Penneys. Loony.

Unbelievable, folk must be bored sh1tless to spend half the night in a queue for Penneys. Loony.

Apparently people were queuing since 9:30pm last night for the one in Dublin, absolute insanity :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They were probably just desperate to get there face on TV.

Just regarding Mahon reopening.
    June 11th, we will continue to update on a regular basis):

Zara
    Bershka
    Stradivarius
    Lifestyle Sports
    JD Sports
    Clarks
    Best Menswear
    ECCO
    Pavers
    Skechers
    Selected
    Pandora
    Diesel
    Tommy Hilfiger
    Moores Jewelers
    Name It
    Vila
    Flying Tiger
    Trespass
    Eason plan to open on June 16th.
    French Connection plan to open on June 17th.
    River Island plan to open on June 18th.
    Next plan to open on June 20th.
    Gym + Coffee plan to open on June 27th.
    Parfois, date to be confirmed for next week.
    Golden Discs, date to be confirmed.
    Ready Steady Play plan to open on June 29th.
    Starbucks reopened on Thursday, June 11th.
    The cinema, restaurants and food court along with Peter Marks and Boston Barbers will remain closed until further notice.
    Opening hours.
    Monday to Wednesday – 9.30am to 7pm
    Thursday & Friday – 9.30am to 9pm
    Saturday- 9.30am to 7pm
    Sunday and Bank Holidays – 11am to 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Plenty of opportunity for Instagram posts though.

To be fair I’ve seen more pictures of the queue today posted by people who were outraged (but also in town themselves) than I have of people posing in the queue or pictures of what they bought.

The people outraged at the queue seem to be more attention seeking than the people who actually queued.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just regarding Mahon reopening.
    June 11th, we will continue to update on a regular basis):

Zara
    Bershka
    Stradivarius
    Lifestyle Sports
    JD Sports
    Clarks
    Best Menswear
    ECCO
    Pavers
    Skechers
    Selected
    Pandora
    Diesel
    Tommy Hilfiger
    Moores Jewelers
    Name It
    Vila
    Flying Tiger
    Trespass
    Eason plan to open on June 16th.
    French Connection plan to open on June 17th.
    River Island plan to open on June 18th.
    Next plan to open on June 20th.
    Gym + Coffee plan to open on June 27th.
    Parfois, date to be confirmed for next week.
    Golden Discs, date to be confirmed.
    Ready Steady Play plan to open on June 29th.
    Starbucks reopened on Thursday, June 11th.
    The cinema, restaurants and food court along with Peter Marks and Boston Barbers will remain closed until further notice.
    Opening hours.
    Monday to Wednesday – 9.30am to 7pm
    Thursday & Friday – 9.30am to 9pm
    Saturday- 9.30am to 7pm
    Sunday and Bank Holidays – 11am to 6pm

I'd say Mahon Point will struggle for a while.

Take out the cinema, food court and Debenhams and a lot of footfall is gone along with the offices being closed down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

And now zara is gone

And now zara is gone

I was going to post similar. They are closing 1200 stores worldwide.
    I think it includes Pull & Bear, Bershka, the place in Mahom near Bershka and places that aren't even in Ireland. I think the 1200 stores will be ones from this group and not just Zara stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jazz_jazz

And now zara is gone

Inditex is the owner of Zara, Berhska, Stradivarius, Pull and Bear, and Massimo Dutti. They are closing 1,200 of their stores worldwide and according insideretail.com 'Most of the stores set for closure are older shops carrying banners other than Zara.' and the Examiner say that 'Zara is the latest high street chain to be impacted by Covid-19 although it's not clear yet if Irish stores will be affected.'

So it might not be bad news.

jazz_jazz wrote: »
    Inditex

So it might not be bad news.

7292 stores around the World and they haven't a lot Irish stores. So, they should be okay.
    Unless some places were located very close to one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

7292 stores around the World and they haven't a lot Irish stores. So, they should be okay.
    Unless some places were located very close to one another.

I'd say stradivarius and bershka might go in Mahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Zara has not announced any plans to close Mahon Point. They just refurbished the store last year. They announced they will close smaller stores, mainly in their other brands like Pull and Bear and Bershka.

An example of this can be seen on Henry Street in Dublin where Pull and Bear are moving from their current smallish unit to the former JD Sports at the other end of the street.

Vodafone are combining their smaller stores on the street and moving in to that unit.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/vodafone-to-open-first-irish-experience-store-on-henry-street-1.4273743

With all the upheaval in the retail sector, I'd expect we will see the spread of larger non-UK chains throughout Ireland, but on turnover based rents.

leahyl wrote: »
    I'd say stradivarius and bershka might go in Mahon?

I don’t think I’ve ever really seen Stradivarius taking off in Ireland really from being in shopping centers.
    Pulls& Bear is my favorite store of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Loved Pull and Bear too. Missed it when it left Roches on Patrick Street. It was my day slobby wear as opposed to Stradvarious night out type clothes..

Here is the plan for Wilton from Monday. They’ve a one way system. The queue for Penney’s will be by the Crystal Clean Car Wash and they’ll be no queuing on the mall inside the center!

104183202_3025788264166284_2553545086123139539_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=wQglcfkvhEsAX_dGacb&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=05e087ca92ac4eab37b738a5842f6bd1&oe=5F07EB38

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chrisd2019

Or the bargain garments they been using since March have dissolved in the wash.

Advertisement