Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's a well structured analysis. For a fella whose bald on top, it's laid out succintly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not a business opening but can anybody here remember Super-valu being in Wilton and where was it located in the center?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Not a business opening but can anybody here remember Super-valu being in Wilton and where was it located in the center?
    It was where Pennys is now, there was Roches stores on the right and Supervalu on the left.

s1ippy wrote: »
    It was where Pennys is now, there was Roches stores on the right and Supervalu on the left.

Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. I didn't go there often as a kid and it felt so big and now it looks small for both of them to fit into that unit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

It really does feel much smaller since Pennys went in. Probably because it was mostly such a chaotic mess! I went in there once for a look and never again, wrecked my Feng Shuí.

• Advertisement

I think this was it!
    128_2828.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I think this was it!
    128_2828.jpg

Yip. Supervalu was in the unit left to that. Of course it was originally a Roches Stores supermarket.

Cork people really miss their Roches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yip. Supervalu was in the unit left to that. Of course it was originally a Roches Stores supermarket.

I think Roches owned those Supervalus.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

You could walk from one into the other, it was difficult to tell where one ended and the other started if I recall correctly ?

• Advertisement

Roches had their own grocery retail, but they first sold that side of the business to Supervalu TMK.

Water John wrote: »
    Roches had their own grocery retail, but they first sold that side of the business to Supervalu TMK.

In the one in the city, they seemed to work together for a while. Iirc, it was called Supervau at Rochestores (previously it was a Roche's Stores supermarket) but after a while, it seemed to become a completely separate entity with no shared entrance as was there previously.

I think Roches owned those Supervalus.

Yip.
    You could walk from one into the other, it was difficult to tell where one ended and the other started if I recall correctly ?

No, there was always hard wall between the two. You had to walk out to go into the other.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Yip.

No, there was always hard wall between the two. You had to walk out to go into the other.

I may be thinking of Merchants Quay then ?

Anybody have a photo to settle the debate?

Anybody have a photo to settle the debate?

What debate? I could draw you a lay-out of the store (edit: and Quinnsworth if you'd like) Wilton didn't have the space for that type of design. It needed that wall for stock. The only thing that was sorta connected was a small fridge (with berries etc) at the pillar in the photo facing out between the two, and that was only when it was SV. The fruit veg section was the first on the right with the opposite wall of perfumes; then into bakery, which was shoes/sport ware (mainly adidas towards the end) RS side.

Literally thousands of times have I been in Wilton SC. Some of my earliest memories are in there. In secondary school, I went in there nearly every day. It's freaky how much of the various layout I remember. I should point out that I didn't hang out in Wilton though as a teenager. Doing "laps of Wilton" was something we scorned.

I'd like to see photos of the first layout of RS (Grocery) in MQ. Mainly because I remember it being a much, much larger store than what's there now and I want to see if that's accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Why is Hickeys allowed open?

robinbird wrote: »
    Why is Hickeys allowed open?

Do they sell fabric that allow people make face masks?

Do they sell fabric that allow people make face masks?

Other Hicky's. Hardware/homeware. Oliver Plunkett Street.
    I wondered why they are open, too.

Other Hicky's. Hardware/homeware. Oliver Plunkett Street.
    I wondered why they are open, too.

There's a hardware, electrical, garden, etc place open near me and the reason they say they are open is because they stock hygiene products. From what I know it isn't much.

• Advertisement

I'm unsure if it's being posted.
    Oasis isn't reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Really that's going to be another big unit to fill are they in trouble too?

ofcork wrote: »
    Really that's going to be another big unit to fill are they in trouble too?

From my understanding all Oasis and Warehouse stores aren’t reopening in the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Was walking through city centre last night {on my within distance of home walk) for the first time in months and noticed a few things. Is the new Selected that opened next to Golden Discs gone already? The building is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

bleach94 wrote: »
    Was walking through city centre last night {on my within distance of home walk) for the first time in months and noticed a few things. Is the new Selected that opened next to Golden Discs gone already? The building is empty.

Yeah, that is gone a while now, well before the pandemic.

It might be doing great but I always found selected fairly expensive for what tour getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

This is random but has anyone spotted anywhere around the city making 99 ice cream cones yet!?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Cotts72 wrote: »
    This is random but has anyone spotted anywhere around the city making 99 ice cream cones yet!?

Good few places doing them I’d say. Keep an eye on the giant cones outside the shops. I’m sure Spar and Centra on Daunt Square are doing them and Centra by M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,503 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Holland & Barrett in Paul Street is closing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Holland & Barrett in Paul Street is closing

There is going to be a lot of vacant retail space when city centre opens up.
    Combine that with council policy to have a car dominated public spaces and its not going to be too attractive or pleasant.

Advertisement