Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catalytic converter theft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,438 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ebbsy wrote: »
    Avoid Luas Red Cow car park.

Somebody partially sliced off one end underneath my CRV, but must have been disturbed.

Yes it's rampant there, needs to be a bait car placed and them arrested or worse ;), pure scrotes on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Car looks legit or cloned from legit, has valid NCT and tax is valid until end of next month, no ownership changes in the last 3 months. Hopefully they are caught, scummers, would have been satisfying for the car to come down on top of him and them to need medical assistance.

Definitely was in need of an "accidental" shove off the jack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Mimon wrote: »
    Definitely was in need of an "accidental" shove off the jack.

There'll be no cameras around if they are stealing one, no doubt there will if you push a car off its jack, Id be tempted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ebbsy wrote: »
    Avoid Luas Red Cow car park.

Somebody partially sliced off one end underneath my CRV, but must have been disturbed.
    That car park has long been known for being targetted by scum. Theft from cars, theft of cars and latterly catalytic converter thefts. Feck all has been done about it either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wibbs wrote: »
    That car park has long been known for being targetted by scum. Theft from cars, theft of cars and latterly catalytic converter thefts. Feck all has been done about it either.

Yep

Got an email off the guys running it and called the cops, but in reality I was wasting my time.

Will never go near there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Del2005 wrote: »
    What power have the Gardai to make scrap dealers require photo ID when buying? And even if they do catch them all that will happen is a day in court for the Garda and the person will still be stealing while on bail and as soon as they get out of prison, if they even end up there.

Our justice system is flawed and corrupt, solicitors and barristers make good money doing free legal aid cases so what's the incentive for reforming offenders, and it won't be fixed from the inside and our politicians don't have the guts to fix it.

I mean if they caught a bunch of them, they'd be in the system for a bit and out again, a minor part of the cost of doing business to certain gentlemen of the road. I worry a bit about this happening to a current Toyota Corolla, but hopefully it isn't so easy to remove now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If I came back to the jeep and found it up on a jack with a pair of legs underneath I know what I would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Brother had his CAT cut off a Yaris. Found a new one for £90 on ebay, was bit skeptical but it just passed its NCT.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any roigh idea on how many cats have been stolen in the last year or two?
    Who are buying them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Brother had his CAT cut off a Yaris. Found a new one for £90 on ebay, was bit skeptical but it just passed its NCT.

Probably stolen off another....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Who are buying them?

pack a container full of them and somebody will give you a pretty penny for the lot. lots of rare metals in there.

The Prius ones seem to be piss easy to remove.

a certain demographic has been losing out on house burglaries this year and need some way to pay for their sisters sunbeds before the wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Looked brand new for a 00 Yaris so I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Alleged theft of a CC filmed in Leixlip yesterday (I would presume gardai can find them based on the reg 08DL12356)...

https://twitter.com/_KellyCampbell/status/1346600098994728971?s=19

I didnt see this when I first replied, Id have shut that gate and started swinging a crowbar at heads ( I mean head the balls), the guy under the car probably would have got stuck, get the fella standing there mouthing off, other chap stuck under car, then deal with the driver, I know that sounds like hard man talk but incensed looking at that, have done stupid stuff when livid, couldnt just stand there and really the hard man talk back would just infuriate me, just need to get stuck in like a lunatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Pops_20

1874 wrote: »
    I didnt see this when I first replied, Id have shut that gate and started swinging a crowbar at heads ( I mean head the balls), the guy under the car probably would have got stuck, get the fella standing there mouthing off, other chap stuck under car, then deal with the driver, I know that sounds like hard man talk but incensed looking at that, have done stupid stuff when livid, couldnt just stand there and really the hard man talk back would just infuriate me, just need to get stuck in like a lunatic.

I'd like to think that most people would do the same, but the problem is that the way our legal system works, you would go down for assault or attempted murder and these lads would get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Looked brand new for a 00 Yaris so I doubt it.

It'd be a brand new spurious one. Someone earlier in the thread got one for their yaris and it worked out fine for them too.

More money to be made by scrapping them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guys, please refrain from advocating violence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1874 wrote: »
    In all likleihood, you'd have possibly gotten one swing in and maybe done damage but one of them would then manage to take it off you and you'd be the one getting the beating.
    It isn't worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Who are buying them?

Not sure about here but read a recent article regarding London.

15,000 stolen in London in the last 3 years.
    Of this 15,000, > 12,000 were stolen in 2020....

Mike

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/ireland-s-catalytic-converter-thieves-they-re-like-formula-1-mechanics-1.4464308

Seems to be related to that video clip.
    The thieves broke through an electric gate by nudging it with their company car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/ireland-s-catalytic-converter-thieves-they-re-like-formula-1-mechanics-1.4464308

Seems to be related to that video clip.
    The thieves broke through an electric gate by nudging it with their company car.

Most electric gate installations are gate automation systems.

They open and close the gates but don't lock them.

They restrict access but do not provide the security of a lock.

An electrically operated lock can be added at the time of installation or retro fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Flit clicker

Culture boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

It'd be a brand new spurious one. Someone earlier in the thread got one for their yaris and it worked out fine for them too.

More money to be made by scrapping them.

You'd seriously think about time and the law needs changed regarding the scrappers at this e stage, basically handling stolen goods,
    I mean its the same shifty whures dealing in these day in /out, wholw scrap dealing crack of iffy since I can remember (over 60 now)

Culture boss.

Ah absolutely disgrace that the gardai haven't a handle on this

Way too busy giving out €100 fines or stopping people in cars asking where they're going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Only piece of advice is get a shield cover over the CAT, garage in walkinstown is supplying and fitting these (no affiliation with this garage)

https://www.facebook.com/Priuscatalyticconverter/

its like the old days of those who had an alarm fitted and those that dont and the scum go for the easier target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Flit clicker

They should set up sting operations.

Offer to buy the stolen cat cons posing as a dealer, then when the transaction is made they are arrested and jailed for 50 years in a max security facility.

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I'd like to think that most people would do the same, but the problem is that the way our legal system works, you would go down for assault or attempted murder and these lads would get away with it.

I'd honestly be afraid of what I'd do these creatures are reprehensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I've ordered a bluetooth tilt sensor for 40 euro that 'should' send an alert to my phone if they lift my car, I'll use some IOT to ring my phone or play an alarm signal on my phone in case I'm asleep - limited range (Approx 100m) but will be fine when I'm at home. If it doesn't work it's also a weather beacon so I can just play around with that. :D

pm1977x wrote: »
    I've ordered a bluetooth tilt sensor for 40 euro that 'should' send an alert to my phone if they lift my car, I'll use some IOT to ring my phone or play an alarm signal on my phone in case I'm asleep - limited range (Approx 100m) but will be fine when I'm at home. If it doesn't work it's also a weather beacon so I can just play around with that. :D
    So you'll have you the indignity of four Travellers intimidate you in person while they rip the converter out of your car and then drive off under cover of night???
    If your car is susceptible to converter theft then either secure it or remove it and only put it on the car when going for NCT test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I'd have shot the bastards in the legs.

• Advertisement

Is your name Pádraig Nally?

Great man

I'd have shot the bastards in the legs.

That's what will happen eventuality and then we will hear PP etc wailing, gardai really need to be pro active otherwise a fatality will occur be it a house holder or a scrote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Offer to buy the stolen cat cons posing as a dealer, then when the transaction is made they are arrested and jailed for 50 years in a max security facility.

They’ve family members who run a scrap yard. Wouldn’t deal with outsiders, smarter then that.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    They’ve family members who run a scrap yard. Wouldn’t deal with outsiders, smarter then that.

That's when CAB etc need to be active, also dogs in the street know that eastern Europeans are also at it, so their illicit loot will make its way out via truck /van

Shipped off in containers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

No.
    But I can't tolerate this shyte.

No.
    But I can't tolerate this shyte.

Bravo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

You'd need to match the cat being sold with a specific one that was reported stolen.
    The owner would need to identify it as theirs in court.

• Advertisement

You'd need to match the cat being sold with a specific one that was reported stolen.
    The owner would need to identify it as theirs in court.

Down to the makers to make them more secure in the future or else this ****e will continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They have for the most part.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They have for the most part.

Need to be better I suggest as it's far too easy atm, designed for the cultured ones right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Need to be better I suggest as it's far too easy atm, designed for the cultured ones right now

The fact that they’re targeting specific models would suggest that it’s not as widespread a problem than you’d think.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The fact that they’re targeting specific models would suggest that it’s not as widespread a problem than you’d think.

Seversl thousand per year and they're targeting 4/5 different brands - - - - - so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,438 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some more progress...
    Gardaí have seized over 100 catalytic converters and a large sum of cash during a search operation in Co Meath.

110 converters and €27,500, along with £55,000 Sterling and a number of documents were found during the search at a business premises in east Meath this morning.

The operation was part of an investigation into the theft of catalytic converters in the Dublin Metropolitan Region and other areas.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0211/1196582-meath-garda-seizure/

• Advertisement

It is organized crime but not prosecuted (at all) as such.

Great work AGS, at least it's a start

Should just tax them out of business.....

Ireland will be free before that happens

VG

• Advertisement
Advertisement