Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The odds of furlong staying with Leinster are paying €1.0000000000001.

You can sleep easy expat-in-Yankee land

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Leavy is this hours new contract signer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Out of the loop, are they giving the duration for any new contracts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

hahashake wrote: »
    Out of the loop, are they giving the duration for any new contracts?

Never do, generally tends to be 2 year deals unless they're one of the oldies who get 1.

Although with Covid they could be 1 year deals for some but we'll only find out when it comes to renewals next year

Clegg wrote: »

That's a big one. Must be confident enough that he'll return to competitive fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

That's a big one. Must be confident enough that he'll return to competitive fitness.

they are either very confident or he's now a bargain that was worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Toner and Furlong are still unconfirmed, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Toner and Furlong are still unconfirmed, is that right?

Thought Toner was confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Toner just confirmed now

• Subscribers Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Big Dev ya beauty!!

The Tone Ranger rides again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yes Devin!!

You love to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Great to see Big Dev back for another year

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It wouldn't shock me if Furlong went away for a year to England or France (or Japan?!). He could then come back to Ireland on a long-term contract, when one hopes the IRFU's finances will be much healthier. I think any club with resources would kill to sign a top international class TH in his prime for a year. Furlong is the type of player that could turn a middling club into a contender.

Furlong departing would certainly explain the Ala'alatoa signing.

Furlong, Deegan and Frawley are the next three players I would like to see confirmed staying. Furlong is just world class and I can see the other two becoming very important players down the road for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

It wouldn't shock me if Furlong went away for a year to England or France (or Japan?!). He could then come back to Ireland on a long-term contract, when one hopes the IRFU's finances will be much healthier. I think any club with resources would kill to sign a top international class TH in his prime for a year. Furlong is the type of player that could turn a middling club into a contender.

he'll go no where. he'd miss the spuds too much. no spuds like Irish spuds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shut up Bu.... Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Furlong's contract will be announced by IRFU, not by Leinster so not unusual that he's not in the current list.

I'd be shocked if he leaves. He must be IRFU's absolute top priority. Porter was doing great but as soon as Furlong was fit, he was cast aside. I thought it was harsh but Furlong absolutely justified it. No doubt in my mind that he'll stay.

That said, if he left, he wouldn't be picked. Absolutely no way IRFU are making any exceptions for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

IRFU would be wise to get ahead of that. If he goes away, they'll need to come close to matching his money to get him back (e.g. Sexton's return from Racing). Could end up paying him a lot more in the long run than if they find the cash to lock him to a multi-year deal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Neil3030 wrote: »
    IRFU would be wise to get ahead of that. If he goes away, they'll need to come close to matching his money to get him back (e.g. Sexton's return from Racing). Could end up paying him a lot more in the long run than if they find the cash to lock him to a multi-year deal now.

Furlong and his agent will know that too.

I don't think Furlong will leave but it wouldn't shock me, particularly with (what would be) his replacement already signed. From a Leinster POV, a post Lions season would mean Furlong's action in blue would be quite limited anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Keeping some players and losing Furlong would be idiotic for the IRFU. You would be risking one of their biggest assets and great from a marketing point of view to save a few quid while spending it on some players past their peak and not even guaranteed starters

sebdavis wrote: »
    Keeping some players and losing Furlong would be idiotic for the IRFU. You would be risking one of their biggest assets and great from a marketing point of view to save a few quid while spending it on some players past their peak and not even guaranteed starters

Agreed. Particularly when you consider that the IRFU part funded Zebos contract, so if they were to fall short on Furlongs it would incredibly stupid.

I would be shocked if Furlong left

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Agreed. Particularly when you consider that the IRFU part funded Zebos contract, so if they were to fall short on Furlongs it would incredibly stupid.

<insert Zebo covering tight head joke here>

Article on Leinster Rugby's homepage with Leo welcoming the contract signings announced.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/cullen-welcomes-19-new-contracts-ahead-of-2021-22-season/

It does read as if the new contracts are done and the rest could be assumed to still under contract from previous years. Couldn't see the sense of Leo reflecting on some but not all new contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Article on Leinster Rugby's homepage with Leo welcoming the contract signings announced.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/cullen-welcomes-19-new-contracts-ahead-of-2021-22-season/

It does read as if the new contracts are done and the rest could be assumed to still under contract from previous years. Couldn't see the sense of Leo reflecting on some but not all new contracts.

Yeah really it’s what happens when we don’t know how long they signed for to start with. Beyond Bent going I can’t see any squad changes for next season now, out or in.

About Tadhg, Leinster/IRFU won't draw it out I don't think. In fact I've a feeling we won't be kept waiting fur long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

This is mere mischief-making. Neither Furlong or Porter are going anywhere, regardless of the fantasies of those who dream of the days when Munster and Leinster were actual rivals.

Advertisement