Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭PMC83

I care about the Rainbow Cup. Fingers crossed it becomes permanent and Leinster get the proper competition we need.

Same. I'm a little less enthused about the inertpro side of things, but absolutely cant wait to see Leinster going again the Sharks, Bulls and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

PMC83 wrote: »
    Same. I'm a little less enthused about the inertpro side of things, but absolutely cant wait to see Leinster going again the Sharks, Bulls and so on

There's no guarantee yet that we'll actually be playing the South Africans sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭PMC83

Clegg wrote: »
    There's no guarantee yet that we'll actually be playing the South Africans sided.

Nope but if not this year season then hopefully next. The pro14 is at an all time low and desperately needs this.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,239 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

PMC83 wrote: »

i really hope that typo is deliberate, cos its brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Scott Penny and Tommy O'Brien are fully fit and available for selection this weekend.

Doris, Ryan, Connors and Ringrose have all stepped up their training regime and could be available for selection depending how they get on in training this week.

Sexton is still following the RTTP and will be unavailable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Clegg wrote: »
    Scott Penny and Tommy O'Brien are fully fit and available for selection this weekend.

Doris, Ryan, Connors and Ringrose have all stepped up their training regime and could be available for selection depending how they get on in training this week.

Sexton is still following the RTTP and will be unavailable.

Not great news on the sexton and Dorris fronts, must have been something flagged in the return to play protocols for sexton if he's not cleared yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's not great news on Sexton. This tournament imo, is just fodder. I could care less about it. I reckon if the Boks go full strenght, one of them will probably win.
    I can't see any of the provinces using this as exterior younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Not great news on the sexton and Dorris fronts, must have been something flagged in the return to play protocols for sexton if he's not cleared yet.

Kind of good news on Dorris no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Email received saying 2021/22 Season Tickets Renewals are coming soon. Be interesting to see what they have planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

He has a few bangs now, I guess the RTTP is longer because of that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Reckon demand will be massive, imagine a Friday night full house RDS again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Doesn't sound like we'll have JGP back for La Rochelle either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

VANG1 wrote: »
    Reckon demand will be massive, imagine a Friday night full house RDS again.

Again? In fairness, it was rarely a full house on a Friday night. I think the Toulouse game was probably the last time it was really packed and bouncing, that I can recall. Maybe an Ulster game?

But yes, it would be nice to get back to going to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Quinn Roux's contract is up at Connacht at the end of the season and has so far has not renewed, anyone reckon a potential move to Leinster with Fardy leaving plus Baird and Ryan in the Irish camp.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Again? In fairness, it was rarely a full house on a Friday night. I think the Toulouse game was probably the last time it was really packed and bouncing, that I can recall. Maybe an Ulster game?

But yes, it would be nice to get back to going to games.

Somewhat off topic , but I suspect that all live sport will see a huge increase in attendance for a while once the gates re-open.

There's an absolutely massive pent-up demand out there , the hope for the sports is that they can hold on to a good number of them when that bubble recedes back to more normal demand levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Somewhat off topic , but I suspect that all live sport will see a huge increase in attendance for a while once the gates re-open.

There's an absolutely massive pent-up demand out there , the hope for the sports is that they can hold on to a good number of them when that bubble recedes back to more normal demand levels.

Hopefully will be same at amateur level as well. Would be nice if more of the provincial fans got to support the club game as well a bit more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Juventu4 wrote: »
    Quinn Roux's contract is up at Connacht at the end of the season and has so far has not renewed, anyone reckon a potential move to Leinster with Fardy leaving plus Baird and Ryan in the Irish camp.

Can't see it. He struggled at Leinster and thrived at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Interesting to see Cullen briefly address the Furlong situation yesterday and admit it's still being negotiated between Furlong and the IRFU. Appears the possibility of him leaving Leinster is certainly not out of the question right now.

The Ala'alatoa signing makes even more sense now. Whilst Cullen stated it was as a replacement for Bent, he surely had Furlong's situation at the back of his mind too and the signing being made as a contingency for a potential departure.

Cullen also stated there remains uncerrtainty around Abdaladze and his back injury (I assume with respect to any potential future recurrence) so that will need to be mitigated against also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Buer wrote: »
    Interesting to see Cullen briefly address the Furlong situation yesterday and admit it's still being negotiated between Furlong and the IRFU. Appears the possibility of him leaving Leinster is certainly not out of the question right now.

The Ala'alatoa signing makes even more sense now. Whilst Cullen stated it was as a replacement for Bent, he surely had Furlong's situation at the back of his mind too and the signing being made as a contingency for a potential departure.

Cullen also stated there remains uncerrtainty around Abdaladze and his back injury (I assume with respect to any potential future recurrence) so that will need to be mitigated against also.

I simply just cannot see it happening.

I've no doubt there's heavy negotiations going on , but Furlong leaving would be a massive deal.

He's not going to want to miss the next WC , so at best it might be a 1 year deal somewhere else - Would there really be that much more money on the table in France for example than he'd get in Ireland for a single year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I simply just cannot see it happening.

I've no doubt there's heavy negotiations going on , but Furlong leaving would be a massive deal.

He's not going to want to miss the next WC , so at best it might be a 1 year deal somewhere else - Would there really be that much more money on the table in France for example than he'd get in Ireland for a single year?

If Furlong left on a 2 year deal, he'd still be back in green in the 2023 RWC warm up games.

I would have put the likelihood of him departing at less than 10% last week but the longer it drags on, coupled with Cullen's admission that it's ongoing whilst stressing Furlong's importance suggests to me that he's concerned himself.

I would still imagine he's more likely to stay than leave but his departure is no longer out of the questions, to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,516 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Buer wrote: »
    If Furlong left on a 2 year deal, he'd still be back in green in the 2023 RWC warm up games.

I would have put the likelihood of him departing at less than 10% last week but the longer it drags on, coupled with Cullen's admission that it's ongoing whilst stressing Furlong's importance suggests to me that he's concerned himself.

I would still imagine he's more likely to stay than leave but his departure is no longer out of the questions, to me

True but it's a massive gamble for him, as Ireland will likely move on from him to Porter being the first choice 3 and making the position his own as well as developing other options in the position. Then there's his injury profile only being back after 11 months, he'll get looked after here in Ireland if it happened again whereas abroad, he's more exposed.

I agree it's less than 10% chance if not less than 5%. I'd be very surprised in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'd say Tadgh is holding out for a 3 year - as he should be tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

He’s worth it. Maybe trying to bring in a sponsor to top up their limited funds. Would be great ambassador for one of the big food or farming companies

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If it wasn't for the pandemic you'd have imagined the IRFU would've just handed him a blank cheque.

But you'd have to imagine he's looking for serious money on a longer term deal, he's one of, if not the, best THs in the world and the first name down on the Lions starting XV.

If it wasn't for Porter the IRFU would have zero negotiation room at all, and you'd have to think the Alaalatoa signing plays a part in that as well to say look we've two top THs behind you at Leinster if you want to play hard ball.

I'd imagine they'll try pull out all the stops to keep him, but given the finances this year I could see him doing two years in France. I don't think the English sides would have the money for him at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I'd say Tadgh is holding out for a 3 year - as he should be tbh

would he though?
    two years still 30 and able to negotiate another big deal as you'd imagine he will still be top of his game.
    like longer contract doesn't necessarily suit the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Signing on Healy, Earls, Sexton and Pom early on only to lose Furlong at the final hurdle would be peak IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Where would he go?

Granted he’s the best loosehead in the world but with JIF regulations tightening and plenty of good young French props there’s not many options I can think of.

Maybe Racing or Toulon? Toulouse already have Faumuina and Montpellier have Haouas. Could any of the other teams afford him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Where would he go?

Granted he’s the best loosehead in the world but with JIF regulations tightening and plenty of good young French props there’s not many options I can think of.

Maybe Racing or Toulon? Toulouse already have Faumuina and Montpellier have Haouas. Could any of the other teams afford him?

The new French TV deal means a good few could afford him.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,239 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Signing on Healy, Earls, Sexton and Pom early on only to lose Furlong at the final hurdle would be peak IRFU.

??

the IRFU are incredibly good with their business negotiations

Advertisement