Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

There are some very think skinned and fairly juvenile posters on this forum of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The press releases from Leinster today suggests we've seen the end of contract announcements. No clarification on Furlong, Frawley and Deegan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Clegg wrote: »
    The press releases from Leinster today suggests we've seen the end of contract announcements. No clarification on Furlong, Frawley and Deegan.

Furlong is centrally contracted with the IRFU...one of the highest too IiRC

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »

Conor O'Brien and Josh Murphy too.

Also Hugh O'Sullivan and Cian Kelleher but it was rumoured they were both departing/not getting a renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

Also Hugh O'Sullivan and Cian Kelleher but it was rumoured they were both departing/not getting a renewal

You could see Josh Murphy or Deegan at Ulster or Connacht but it wouldn't be good to lose both of them.

Similarly we'd be looking thin if we lost Frawley and COB. Hopefully they're still under contract or yet to be announced.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Great if Hughie and Cian are kept on. Even better if COB and Frawley are extended. Hopefully just a case of doing the admin and getting the docs signed and filed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,877 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Furlong is due marry a career national teacher in Wexford. As I've heard it through some mutual friends, she has just been promoted in a place she loves. He isn't going anywhere other than Ireland and that only means Leinster.

He'll become the highest paid player in Ireland I'd say, but that just won't be as high as the previous highest player was, if you see what I mean. Everyone just needs to get used to that new reality and sign the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Great if Hughie and Cian are kept on. Even better if COB and Frawley are extended. Hopefully just a case of doing the admin and getting the docs signed and filed off.

Kelleher's off to Ealing supposedly and HOS is surplus to requirements with McCarthy back in the mix now.

Kelleher's off to Ealing supposedly and HOS is surplus to requirements with McCarthy back in the mix now.

That’s the problem with the bleeding internet. It would have you believing health workers are Satan’s children and going to take over the world.

Whoever led me to believe that should be reprimanded and I certainly shouldn’t be mocked for believing and not questioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There are some very think skinned and fairly juvenile posters on this forum of late.

I'm right here, Venjur. Jesus man, call me out why don't you!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Furlong is due marry a career national teacher in Wexford. As I've heard it through some mutual friends, she has just been promoted in a place she loves. He isn't going anywhere other than Ireland and that only means Leinster.

He'll become the highest paid player in Ireland I'd say, but that just won't be as high as the previous highest player was, if you see what I mean. Everyone just needs to get used to that new reality and sign the papers.

Teachers have a pretty attractive career break option though, wouldn’t be an issue to go abroad for a year or two if it was something they wanted. Official deadline passed for this year but individual boards of managements can still sanction them for few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Larbre34 wrote: »

A top Irish player being engaged to a teacher moving for a big pay day to France.... nope couldn't possible happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Ealing could be a good move for CIan. We reallly do not want to lost Frawley though.
    We dont want to lose Deegan either but i kind suspect the move might make too much sense for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ealing could be a good move for CIan. We reallly do not want to lost Frawley though.
    We dont want to lose Deegan either but i kind suspect the move might make too much sense for him.

I'd hate to lose Frawley but a move south makes complete sense for him if it's on the table. It's the logical move with JJH leaving. Munster are light on centres and outhalves outside of novices. He'd have a good shot of being in the 23 every week including Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cian Kelleher possibly going and Adam Byrne being injured for most of last 2 years, Fergus and RK gone

Leaves Leinster a bit light in back 3
    Larmour Lowe Keenan Dave

Wonder will Frawley become a 10/12/15 option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Hopefully Frawley gets the chance to develop as a 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Frawley won't be going anywhere, third center and two always being minded.
    Deegan probably was a greater risk to go if he hadn't been injured. Probably wants to stay and rehab properly and hasn't been in the shop window.
    Josh murphy could depend on where he is in his studies. I think he's nearly done but can't see him moving as good understanding in leinster on his situation.

The lack of rumours of any moves would suggest they are probably staying. Word usually filters out on moves and squads being finalized already.

Furlong the one I'd be most concerned about because he is such an asset and the one who there certainly was interest in. Kind of contradicting myself but with the higher profile ones no rumors sometimes means genuine offers. (They don't have to pretend interest as bargaining chip)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hope Frawley stays.
    A future Harry Byrne/Frawley partnership ala Ford/Farrell has potential to be world class.

Buer wrote: »
    I'd hate to lose Frawley but a move south makes complete sense for him if it's on the table. It's the logical move with JJH leaving. Munster are light on centres and outhalves outside of novices. He'd have a good shot of being in the 23 every week including Europe.

Disagree entirely with this. JVG only plays fringe players when forced through injury or Irish duty. Frawley would be a second class citizen and not afforded nearly as many caps and chances as he has at Leinster.

The question he has to ask is whether he wants to play outhalf or centre and whether a move would facilitate him playing fly half or not. In my mind he has a more physical game than Harry with similar attributes in his kicking game and other areas. Harry is slightly ahead on kicking and distributing however.

We have seen the likes of dirt trackers push past internationals this season through graft and hard work - Will Connors being the main one that comes to mind but also have sen Doris push past Conan and Deegan in the past two seasons. It’s not out of the question that Frawley will get his chances at fly half and they will stick if that’s what he wants.

It’s probably just admin stuff that has stopped it going through in timely manner. He would be mad to jump ship to either another province or England France and give up hopes of playing for Ireland. I think it’s not the money but probably the order in which admin was done on these deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Frawley should probably give it another year at Leinster and then re-assess his options. The door seems closed at centre, however. Henshaw and Ringrose aren't going to be usurped anytime soon. If DDA isn't retained, then a starting role at Munster could be available to someone like Frawley.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Disagree entirely with this. JVG only plays fringe players when forced through injury or Irish duty. Frawley would be a second class citizen and not afforded nearly as many caps and chances as he has at Leinster.

This season, more than any other, JVG has given young players a chance. For example, Ben Healy has more minutes than Frawley this season (602 vs 484). Frawley has had injury issues lately, but even up to the end of December, they had equivalent minutes (345 vs 333).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

Always thought Josh Murphy was under rated, a player who isn't a perfect fit for either 2nd row or back-row but can do a very decent job when called on. He'improve the backrow at any of the other 3 provinces if he moves

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

aloooof wrote: »
    This season, more than any other, JVG has given young players a chance. For example, Ben Healy has more minutes than Frawley this season (602 vs 484). Frawley has had injury issues lately, but even up to the end of December, they had equivalent minutes (345 vs 333).

I think the above rather disproves your point. Frawley would have played considerably more in the second half of the season, but had multiple long term injuries. So for the first half, leinsters fourth choice outhalf played pretty much as many minutes as Munster's second choice outhalf.

That would back up that there is probably more playing minutes available in Leinster for a fringe player, than at Munster currently.

I think the above rather disproves your point. Frawley would have played considerably more in the second half of the season, but had multiple long term injuries. So for the first half, leinsters fourth choice outhalf played pretty much as many minutes as Munster's second choice outhalf.

That would back up that there is probably more playing minutes available in Leinster for a fringe player, than at Munster currently.

That’s not entirely a fair comparison either. A 4th choice out half is more likely to get minutes when the 1st and 2nd choice are away with Ireland duty for a period, for example. (It’s why Leinster need a bigger squad).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Should this not be a discussion on the Munster thread?
    Anyway the point about JVG giving young players a chance is rubbish. Picking one player as an example because he had zero other options is not really proving the point.

JVG actual plan for this season would have been JJ, Carbery, Bleyendaal.....only Carbery was injured and Bleyendaal retired before his contract was up this summer.

sebdavis wrote: »
    Should this not be a discussion on the Munster thread?
    Anyway the point about JVG giving young players a chance is rubbish. Picking one player as an example because he had zero other options is not really proving the point.

JVG actual plan for this season would have been JJ, Carbery, Bleyendaal.....only Carbery was injured and Bleyendaal retired before his contract was up this summer.

I don't wish to drag this off topic, but I would wager by any measure JVG started more young players this season than in any previous season. The Coombes', Casey, Jack O'Sullivan, the Wycherly's, Daly, Nash, Healy, Hodnett all got good exposure this season. Some would have gotten more but for injury. The argument that he doesn't give youth a chance isn't well founded any more.

Do Munster not have a young lad, who played 10 and now I think plays 15?
    Sounds similar to Frawley and if looking at options would they not promote him into the first team and centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

ongarite wrote: »
    Hope Frawley stays.
    A future Harry Byrne/Frawley partnership ala Ford/Farrell has potential to be world class.

I don't see any reason to think Frawley could displace Henshaw

I don't see any reason to think Frawley could displace Henshaw

Having Frawley/Henshaw playing 12 gives options, also takes the pressure off Henshaw to play all the big Leinste r& Ireland games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Ugh Jesus, more JVG juvenoia talk.

As I said previously, the way the CJ thing happened I wouldn't be very surprised if Furlong was going abroad. I'd be stunned, but not surprised, if that makes sense. Even if you look at the Zebo thing, it pretty much materialised out of thin air and was confirmed within a couple hours, despite it looking like he was Not Not bound on all accounts.

I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, but ye should definitely keep your mind open to the possibility of it occurring. It may just well be IRFU slow timing too - but there's a chance.

As for Frawley, he'd almost definitely ursurp Scannell as back up 12 and take the shirt once DDA left - if he was staying at centre. Personally though, if we wanted to invest in a second playmaker style 12, I'd rather we persisted with Crowley or Flannery. Hopefully Goggin gets an injury free run too.

Advertisement