Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Think he'll start picking up some caps as soon as he can put a run of games together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Beautiful worked move

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leo Cullen and Jacques Nienabar know more than me….

but I'll never understand why they aren't just pushing either Foley or Murphy out there to make a claim for the 22 jersey for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bingobango12

Has it been announced where Ngatai is playing next season? He’s a very solid player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Jordan Larmour is in the form of his life at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's a cracking try. JOB with beautiful kick through.

JOB and TOB coming back from injury at the perfect time of the season IMO.

Back up to the highest points tally which could be important in the grander scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Definitely think he'd have been capped this season if he'd not picked up an injury, probably over Nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭A-Train

A night and day performance between the 1st and the 2nd half. Some great scores, Jimmy O’Brien had a great game, TOB and Charlie had great games from the bench.

Downsides:

McGrath is done and I'm worried about next year

Frawley is not a fullback

Upsides:

Mostly everything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,829 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Premier Sports commentator mentioned that Connors absence was precautionary.

He had a tight calf during the captain's run and Leinster decided not to risk it. Hopefully he gets a run out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Some of McGraths passing even off clean ball was really poor.

Byrnes passing also looks dodgy at the moment. No zip to it. I wonder did the bicep injury cause and lasting issues there. He's not playing at the level that got him back into the Ireland fold in my opinion.

Furlong looks like he's found that extra few percent again. His passing is back to the level it was a couple years ago.

Very excited by TOB. Just needs to stay fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Clarkson slowly improving, Milne is poor even allowing for him being only 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭johnh6767

Agree , he has had limited game time but in SA he has the look and composure of a world class scrum half in the making, solid, low centre of gravity, and maturity with an intellect which will give us much excitement in the years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At the same time the LAR game is probably his best ever performance

Some of McGraths passing even off clean ball was really poor.

I was really hoping Foley would get a shot in these games but it seems like McGrath is still clearly the backup. I get it - experience etc - but he is so terrible at this point…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

RB didn't do much except shovel the ball on. He didn't threaten the line and was so easy to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bingobango12

It’s not really the time of the season to throw in Foley is the thing, he was also very poor himself in SA (most were in fairness to him). I thought McGrath was better yesterday than the past few months but obviously still not great. 20 minutes to go vs Toulouse and JGP goes down, I’d still want McGrath to come on ahead of Foley to manage that.
    Would imagine things will be different from next season and he might see McGrath fairly sparsely like we have for Ruddock this season.

Post edited by bingobango12 on

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭johnh6767

yes McGrath has not been at peak for quite a while but Foley had a pretty poor showing in SA which explains the choice. JGP is on fire and will likely play 65/70 minutes v Toulouse. Next year Murphy has moves on and I feel will do well in Connaught as Devine whilst exciting doesn’t come across as a natural 9. Foley will get more chances to prove his talent and Gunne is a year older with a clearer path to the top job over years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I can see JGP playing 80 vs Toulouse unless the game is wrapped up early, which is highly unlikely. The drop off in quality is just too great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I thought McGrath was decent enough yesterday, his passing has always been ropey but overall he was fine and certainly won’t be dropped.

JOB had a stormer, he’s very like Mack Hansen in his ability to find the ball which is probably why AF is such a fan.

Larmour continues to impress and great to see TOB back looking sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I don't think McGrath will be dropped either but only because there's no immediately viable alternative. After all these years his passing is still very poor and he's slow at the breakdown. It's been said often enough but bears repeating - he's a very good rugby player just not a good 9.

After yesterday I can see JOB coming in at full back and Frawley moving back to the bench as a utility back in a 5-3 split with TOB and Luke the other backs for Toulouse (assuming Keenan doesn't make it).

If Ringrose is fit, I think he starts. But I would think Osborne might miss out altogether if that happens.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

JOB is like a new signing at the pointy end of the season. He'll want to be involved in everything.

His and TOB's injection of pace are a real difference maker to an otherwise sluggish Leinster backline. Russell and Turner are no slouches but not quite first team material.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lonester99

The difference between the fluidity of leinsters attack when Gibson Park is playing vs Mcgrath is night ad day. Not sure Mcgrath starts for any of the other provinces and probably doenst make the bench for any of them either on current form. We really need to start finding ways to give Gunne and Prendergast more minutes with better starting XV's then just throwing them into the fire down in SA. Think every single poor game ive seen from leinster this season its been Mcgrath at 9

It's not (I would have given up on McGrath earlier in the season tbh), but their trajectories are in different directions. There is no real good answer though.

His passing is getting worse from it's already mediocre level unfortunately. He seems to have lost some of the control and decision making that made him a very good rugby player also.

But yeah, not much to be done about it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Looking at the plans for the new Anglesea Stand, standing capacity in the terrace will be 1179. Does anyone know if that’s more or less than the existing terrace capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Thought Leinster were missing a trick not getting marmion. Only leaving Connacht as just a one year deal on the table. Could have offered a 2 year deal and we would be in a better position now with an IQ option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

The Stade Francais v Toulouse game tonight should be interesting. One crazy statistic & I don't know if this has ever happened before in any league anywhere but Stade Francais despite being top of the French Top 14 have scored less points than ANY other team in the whole division with 458 points ! Toulouse have amassed 628. Even the bottom club Oyonnax who have only won a one game all season have managed 488 points. Bizarre.

Advertisement