Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    As he should be, outperformed Hogg at the weekend and Hogg was presumably the incumbent.

I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Hogg (outside of injury) is the starting 15 come the first test, tho.

No disrespect to Keenan, he's had an amazing 9 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Serbian wrote: »
    I don't think many people would have predicted Keenan being so key to both Leinster and Ireland at the beginning of this season, culminating in a nomination for European Player of the Year. Some 8+ months for him.

For sure, he's had a fairly meteoric rise over the last 12 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Zebo back to Munster! I wonder how much that cost? I thought he would have stayed in France. I was thinking that he may have come to Leinster on a fairly average deal. Although, he is now at the stage and age where he is mostly a reserve. The boards would have been mental had he come to Leinster to play for the A side.
    I think VDF could win the player of the year! He's playing out of his skin right now. Probably the best I've seen from him.
    Keenan won't overtake Hogg for the Lions just yet! I think he's going to travel, but it's difficult to see him ahead of Hogg. I think VDF will travel also and maybe he starts.
    Sexton on current form starts, for me. Will they take a chance on an elderly crocked 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Clegg wrote: »
    Zebo returning to Munster is an interesting one. He's not as good a player as he was at his peak but can still do a decent job. But it's not addressing the real problem areas for Munster which is the pack. Specifically the front row.

could add a bit of bulk to the front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Furlong has played 55 mins in the competition

To be fair, Leinster are now into the Semi-Finals after only playing three games, so those 55 minutes represent almost a quarter of the available playing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

aloooof wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if anyone other than Hogg (outside of injury) is the starting 15 come the first test, tho.

It's the logical call but we've seen Hogg go on consecutive Lions tours now and not pick up a test cap (admittedly he was injured come the test series in 2017 but had not played well on prior to the injury). His performance at the weekend was downright poor from his end and that will not be lost on Gatland.

I'm not saying Keenan will be the man or will even travel but Liam Williams will be in the mix as will Anthony Watson potentially. Williams grew into the 6N and is the incumbent Lions 15. I wouldn't be shocked to see Williams/Watson at 15 and Hogg at 23 come the first test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'd have said Liam Williams is in pole for the test jersey. Hogg is like Russell, as likely to cost you the game as win it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Would have Liam Williams at 15 all day myself. Williams defensively is streets ahead of Hogg and there’s not much between them attack-wise. I would actually say Williams is better attacking but probably not as flashy doing it as Hogg.

It’s a shame for Keenan as I don’t see Gatland not picking either Williams or Hogg and he won’t bring 3 15s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hawkshaw signed a pro contract, I’d say we’ll get another couple dripped out during the day.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Zebo back to Munster! I wonder how much that cost? I thought he would have stayed in France. I was thinking that he may have come to Leinster on a fairly average deal. Although, he is now at the stage and age where he is mostly a reserve. The boards would have been mental had he come to Leinster to play for the A side.
    I think VDF could win the player of the year! He's playing out of his skin right now. Probably the best I've seen from him.
    Keenan won't overtake Hogg for the Lions just yet! I think he's going to travel, but it's difficult to see him ahead of Hogg. I think VDF will travel also and maybe he starts.
    Sexton on current form starts, for me. Will they take a chance on an elderly crocked 10?

Zebo was never in a million years going to come to Leinster, what would Leinster do with him?
    VdF, yeah outstanding this season
    Keenan, agree, doubt he'll be in the Lions squad tbh but if he did get called up he'd deserve it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Buer wrote: »
    It's the logical call but we've seen Hogg go on consecutive Lions tours now and not pick up a test cap (admittedly he was injured come the test series in 2017 but had not played well on prior to the injury). His performance at the weekend was downright poor from his end and that will not be lost on Gatland.

I'm not saying Keenan will be the man or will even travel but Liam Williams will be in the mix as will Anthony Watson potentially. Williams grew into the 6N and is the incumbent Lions 15. I wouldn't be shocked to see Williams/Watson at 15 and Hogg at 23 come the first test.

I think that's all fair, it might come down to what he wants to do on the wings as much as anything. Back 3 in general will be tough to pick. Lots of potential combo's from the likes of Hogg, Williams, Rees-Zammit, Watson, May and Adams alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

C'mon Leinster.

Stop delaying and just Announce Zebo.

Gutted for ye. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Penny signs a contract extension. Hope to see.him making Champions Cup squads next season. He's too good not to be there.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1382317722009100288?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He's taken his opportunities well. Hopefully he can push on up the depth chart next season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Penny signs a contract extension. Hope to see.him making Champions Cup squads next season. He's too good not to be there.

^^^^

excellent

Who’ll be the 3 o clock announcement? Any guesses

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    Who’ll be the 3 o clock announcement? Any guesses

There's probably another 20 to announce at this rate.

I'd say Frawley might be next

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Garrigai

Toner hopefully

Zebo was never in a million years going to come to Leinster, what would Leinster do with him?
    VdF, yeah outstanding this season
    Keenan, agree, doubt he'll be in the Lions squad tbh but if he did get called up he'd deserve it

Duhhhh!! Zebo could captain the "A" squad..... obviously!

• Advertisement

Great news!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Would that be a central contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would that be a central contract?

Doubt it, usually gets mentioned and the IRFU announces it too

What sort of side will line out v Munster next week?

Dubinusa wrote: »
    What sort of side will line out v Munster next week?

I guess mix-and-match. If Ryan and Doris are available both should play, guys like Henshaw, VdF, Keenan would have no bother seeing rested.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Those who don't play will not have had a game in three weeks come La Rochelle and only one game in the previous 5 weeks due to the Toulon cancellation.

I would imagine it's going to be very close to full strength. The only changes might be guys who are returning from injury and are in dire need of minutes.

Buer wrote: »
    Those who don't play will not have had a game in three weeks come La Rochelle and only one game in the previous 5 weeks due to the Toulon cancellation.

I would imagine it's going to be very close to full strength. The only changes might be guys who are returning from injury and are in dire need of minutes.
    That’s my thinking too, it’ll be close to a full team barring maybe giving someone like Ryan or Sexton an extra week

listened to the first 10 minutes of the Left Wing this morning, cos shure why not...

and Luke puts the blame for O Flahertys first try squarely on the head of Lowe...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Luke has actually become a parody of himself at this stage.

by the time Lowe had a decision to make, it was a 4 on 2 with Keenan way too deep in the back field.

not to mention the missed tackles by Keenan and sexton on o flaherty, the pull back on henshaw by slade, and the fact sexton and luke mcgrath tackled the same player off the scrum...

but no,... according to the Right Left Wing podcast,, it was jonny foreigners fault.

• Advertisement

Michael Milne contract announced

Advertisement