Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    listened to the first 10 minutes of the Left Wing this morning, cos shure why not...

and Luke puts the blame for O Flahertys first try squarely on the head of Lowe...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Luke has actually become a parody of himself at this stage.

by the time Lowe had a decision to make, it was a 4 on 2 with Keenan way too deep in the back field.

not to mention the missed tackles by Keenan and sexton on o flaherty, the pull back on henshaw by slade, and the fact sexton and luke mcgrath tackled the same player off the scrum...

but no,... according to the Right Left Wing podcast,, it was jonny foreigners fault.

I listened to the left wing for far too long. Only time I tune in now is when there is a decent guest on. Which is rare as hens teeth now as Luke appears to have burnt all his bridges in recent years.

But blaming Lowe for the try is like blaming the last domino for falling over when all the other fell before it lol.

We've got Larmour covering the blindside where Exeter don't put anyone - so already they're a man up in the backline.

Josh gets stuck in the scrum after a second Exeter shove so can't cover the 9 break so Luke has to.

Luke pushes off 9 after the pass and looks to have 10 pretty well covered but Johnny bites for a click too long.

Robbie in staying connected to Johnny has to respect the short line from the center - the knock on effect of Josh not getting out of the scrum is real now. Ideally Johnny pushes Robbie off this runner.

ROL has to hit the backdoor runner - ideally Henshaw will have this covered and ROL can push off.

Lowe is wide and can't cover the hole which O'Flaherty skates through. But he's lose lose here as either O'Flaherty goes through the gap, or Lowe is narrower and a tip on pass creates a 2 on 1 for the score in the corner.

Biggest issue here is the missed tackles by Keenan and Johnny in quick succession. Leinster were still comfortable with their scramble which is evidenced by Larmour not even going in on O'Flaherty, he's going to fold the opposite side straight away assuming Exeter have quick ball from the ruck and numbers up (might have even been called off by Sexton)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cronin has signed a new deal. I'm a bit surprised by this one tbh. Kelleher is first choice now and in Tracey we've an able back up. Sheehan is coming on nicely too and will probably break into the Champions Cup squad in the next 18 months as well. Glad Cronin is sticking around all the same.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1382649913171869696?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 21,620 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    Cronin has signed a new deal. I'm a bit surprised by this one tbh. Kelleher is fairly first choice and in Tracey we've an able back up. Sheehan is coming on nicely too and will probably break into the Champions Cup squad in the next 18 months as well. Glad Cronin is sticking around all the same.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1382649913171869696?s=09

Would imagine it's a one year deal at 34 soon to be 35

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Clegg wrote: »
    Cronin has signed a new deal. I'm a bit surprised by this one tbh. Kelleher is fairly first choice and in Tracey we've an able back up. Sheehan is coming on nicely too and will probably break into the Champions Cup squad in the next 18 months as well. Glad Cronin is sticking around all the same.

I was surprised too actually given how little he has featured lately. My guess would be that the coaches weren't quite expecting Kelleher to become part of the Irish match day 23 so quickly so perhaps feel they need cover for that while Sheehan gets up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

sydthebeat wrote: »
    listened to the first 10 minutes of the Left Wing this morning, cos shure why not...

and Luke puts the blame for O Flahertys first try squarely on the head of Lowe...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Luke has actually become a parody of himself at this stage.

by the time Lowe had a decision to make, it was a 4 on 2 with Keenan way too deep in the back field.

not to mention the missed tackles by Keenan and sexton on o flaherty, the pull back on henshaw by slade, and the fact sexton and luke mcgrath tackled the same player off the scrum...

but no,... according to the Right Left Wing podcast,, it was jonny foreigners fault.

IIRC, Brian O'Driscoll also singled out Lowe for that try in the analysis on Saturday. I didn't agree but I didn't think he's a racist for saying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Slightly surprising with 4 good options I felt he’d move on, didn’t someone here tell us he was definitely gone and his house was up for sale? Can’t believe someone on the internet was wrong.

Sangre wrote: »
    I was surprised too actually given how little he has featured lately. My guess would be that the coaches weren't quite expecting Kelleher to become part of the Irish match day 23 so quickly so perhaps feel they need cover for that while Sheehan gets up to speed.

I think we're also looking to keep a few experienced heads in the squad for next season. We're already losing a lot of that Fardy and Bent leaving. Gives another season for the younger forwards to develop at a slightly more measured pace. Better than chucking out all the old lads and expecting the academy players to hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Wow. I assumed if Tracy was kept then Cronin was gone. I assume he is moving to centre for the last 4years of a glorious career, setting up a run to the next Lions tour.
    I really hope if they are signing nugget that they are also signing Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭A-Train

Very surprised that Cronin got a new deal but delighted for him. Great to have him around for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Munster are in need of a hooker - hear Sheehan has Limerick heritage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I listened to the left wing for far too long. Only time I tune in now is when there is a decent guest on. Which is rare as hens teeth now as Luke appears to have burnt all his bridges in recent years.

But blaming Lowe for the try is like blaming the last domino for falling over when all the other fell before it lol.

We've got Larmour covering the blindside where Exeter don't put anyone - so already they're a man up in the backline.

Josh gets stuck in the scrum after a second Exeter shove so can't cover the 9 break so Luke has to.

Luke pushes off 9 after the pass and looks to have 10 pretty well covered but Johnny bites for a click too long.

Robbie in staying connected to Johnny has to respect the short line from the center - the knock on effect of Josh not getting out of the scrum is real now. Ideally Johnny pushes Robbie off this runner.

ROL has to hit the backdoor runner - ideally Henshaw will have this covered and ROL can push off.

Lowe is wide and can't cover the hole which O'Flaherty skates through. But he's lose lose here as either O'Flaherty goes through the gap, or Lowe is narrower and a tip on pass creates a 2 on 1 for the score in the corner.

Biggest issue here is the missed tackles by Keenan and Johnny in quick succession. Leinster were still comfortable with their scramble which is evidenced by Larmour not even going in on O'Flaherty, he's going to fold the opposite side straight away assuming Exeter have quick ball from the ruck and numbers up (might have even been called off by Sexton)

I thought it was pretty clear that Lowe got disconnected from O'Loughlin and left the gap for O'Flaherty. I think in all defensive systems the idea would be that the winger defends next to the outside centre and the fullback defends the outside from the slot position. It's very rare you see a fullback coming from that position to make a tackle on his inside shoulder, it's a tough one to make. Although Keenan and Sexton obviously should do much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Munster are in need of a booker - hear Sheehan has Limerick heritage

Since when did that matter? If you had said Saffer heritage though....

Munster actually do need a hooker though. None of their options are actually that good. Kevin O'Byrne seems to be the guy they're pinning their hopes on, but he's 30, bit a test class player and realistically won't improve much more anyway.

I thought it was pretty clear that Lowe got disconnected from O'Loughlin and left the gap for O'Flaherty. I think in all defensive systems the idea would be that the winger defends next to the outside centre and the fullback defends the outside from the slot position. It's very rare you see a fullback coming from that position to make a tackle on his inside shoulder, it's a tough one to make. Although Keenan and Sexton obviously should do much better.

Lowe definitely got disconnected from ROL yeah. I wouldn't be absolving him of blame. But he's as much to blame as Josh, Luke, Johnny, Keenan or Johnny again lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Munster are in need of a hooker - hear Sheehan has Limerick heritage

Stick in the new lad they signed on big money!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leinster started the Exeter match like they were going for a stroll. They appeared to be just going through the motions and soon found themselves 14 points behind. Very sloppy play and the 2nd half start was similar.
    Great news on Milne! Surprised that Cronin was retained. I suppose Sheehan will sign soon. If he leaves I will be irate. He's not South African, so Munster wouldn't be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sean Cronin staying on, thought all the talk was he was off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

This is a very entertaining way to announce all the contracts.

crisco10 wrote: »

It’s painful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s painful

It’s slow but I think it creates more of a buzz than the annual list-o-names.

crisco10 wrote: »

I'm liking it.

No provincial games this weekend so a good way to keep the news rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Are we sweating on anyone that hasn't been announced?

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Are we sweating on anyone that hasn't been announced?

Dev, Fardy and Bent haven't been announced yet - Dev the only likely one retained (hopefully!)

Furlongs deal with the IRFU hasn't been announced either.

Other than that will be interesting to see if the likes of Conor O'Brien and Adam Byrne are retained

Dev, Fardy and Bent haven't been announced yet - Dev the only likely one retained (hopefully!)

Other than that will be interesting to see if the likes of Conor O'Brien and Adam Byrne are retained

Saw something yesterday suggesting Dev was nearly over the line but can’t remember where.
    I’m blissfully unaware of where players are in contracts, You say Furlong is due an announcement, where is Porter in his contract? I presume one year into a 2 year deal.

Adam Byrne signed a new contract last year so presumably has a year left on his current deal if it was the standard 2 year deal

Adam Byrne signed a new contract last year so presumably has a year left on his current deal if it was the standard 2 year deal

Did he? I was so sure he was out of contract.

Good timing for him as he'd be in a tricky position this year

Did he? I was so sure he was out of contract.

Good timing for him as he'd be in a tricky position this year

Yeah was in the announcement list last season https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-rugby-confirm-contracts-202021/

Presuming it was a two year deal anyways

Scott Fardy is retiring at the end of the season. One of our greatest ever signings. Wouldn't have won the Champions Cup without him.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1382710306095341572?s=09

• Advertisement

Richie's punching the air in celebration.

Advertisement