Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Disaster already!!! Poor after an excellent drive

Couldn’t even save the bogey. A solid 4 putt!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

That's Rory done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That's poor from the middle of the fairway

I really don't think the rock hard greens suit him

Still reckon he'll win more majors though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Needed a decent start, didn't get it, bogey on the first and he's almost done.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

That first pin is fair sneaky. Johnson was 6 feet away at one stage and then fell all the way back to front of the green.

Rory just had to get the ball up that hill at the very least. Probably easier said than done though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

El Sueño wrote: »
    That's poor from the middle of the fairway

I really don't think the rock hard greens suit him

Still reckon he'll win more majors though

He has a long wait for the Senior Tour:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Happy4all wrote: »

How do you know I wasn't referring to the senior tour? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

Happy4all wrote: »

Nightmare start with that 4 putt. Very disappointing. Nice save on the 2nd though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The greens are treacherous but very poor start. Hard to see him featuring now

• Advertisement

It’s actually stupid how much he infuriated me sometimes.

Big chance on 4 to get it close and now struggling for par again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Rory is a confidence player, he becomes deflated by errors and there is a spring in his step when he makes shots but he seems to become rash when this happens and then makes silly mistakes , he needs to smooth out the highs and lows .

He is not great under pressure these days

He might as well take one of those buggies and drive away.

Shocking tee shot. Double cross trying to hit the cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭New Era

Following all the updates by boards posters here as I have no sky sports. Is the wind picking up because from the short clips I have seen online, the greens are getting quite baked. Keep up the updates guys. Much appreciated! Rory saved par there but that was on the drivable 6th hole. Plenty of work for Rors to get his round back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭blackcard

7 holes played and Rory has been dreadful. Headed for an 80. Irons, wedges, putting not at the races

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The amount of times he blows up early on a Sunday is worrying. Couple of terrible shots and it's curtains before he'd even made the second tee.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

The amount of times he blows up early on a Sunday is worrying. Couple of terrible shots and it's curtains before he'd even made the second tee.

Very often he posts the worst Sunday round of the top 20 going into that day's play. Noticed it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭blackcard

After 8 holes, his closest birdie attempt was from 35 feet which he duly 3 putted.

373 yard drive at the ninth and then a beauty of a approach. 14 feet for an eagle 3, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

He started the day in 7th and he is currently in 7th, which I cant quite wrap my head around given the rubbish that has been played.

New Era wrote: »
    373 yard drive at the ninth and then a beauty of a approach. 14 feet for an eagle 3, fingers crossed.

Gave the eagle try a go but the putt just didn't drop. A birdie though and 8 behind heading into the back nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Between Rory doing what he usually does and Bryson ST****DS De Chambeau beefcaking it round the course this is turning into a thoroughly depressing watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I must say I’m enjoying it!
    What’s beefcaking it? Smashing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    He started the day in 7th and he is currently in 7th, which I cant quite wrap my head around given the rubbish that has been played.

Maybe it’s quite difficult? One player under par for the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

6 off the lead, where he started the day.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    6 off the lead, where he started the day.

2 birdies in his last three holes and a reachable par 5 at his next hole also. It's still possible but would need to shoot a further 3 under in his last 7 holes for an unlikely victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,836 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

2 birdies in his last three holes and a reachable par 5 at his next hole also. It's still possible but would need to shoot a further 3 under in his last 7 holes for an unlikely victory.

Yeah, greatest back 9 by anybody ever is all that's required:D

Yeah, greatest back 9 by anybody ever is all that's required:D

Anything is possible for Rory. If he were to be still in contention heading into his final two holes, we could heading for something special. I also think that in the long term that being a dad for the first time, will give Rory a better attitude and I expect rors to have a strong conclusion to the calendar year.

• Advertisement

Anything is possible for Rory. If he were to be still in contention heading into his final two holes, we could heading for something special. I also think that in the long term that being a dad for the first time, will give Rory a better attitude and I expect rors to have a strong conclusion to the calendar year.

Unless dechambeau and Wolff implode at the back nine, the events at the ninth, mean that Rory will have to wait until the Masters in mid November, to break his 6 year major duck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

He is so frustrating to watch. I have a feeling if you put him on a range with no pressure he would be stitching it to the practice flags all day. He just cant do it on the course. Hopefully he can do well at the Masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Interesting closing comment by McGinley. Effectively called him a flat track bully, he's great when the birdies are on tap, and he needs to find a way to get the ball around when the going gets tough or on harder courses where you can't just attack attack.

Hard to argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Interesting closing comment by McGinley. Effectively called him a flat track bully, he's great when the birdies are on tap, and he needs to find a way to get the ball around when the going gets tough or on harder courses where you can't just attack attack.

Hard to argue with that.

did he ever figure that out himself then, he should get on the blower give him some of that wisdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Hard to argue with that.
    You could certainly say that about the US Open he won, but not sure that follows through for some of his other wins like the PGA at Kiawah Island. And US Opens are a bit unique in that (imo) they can be a bit of a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

did he ever figure that out himself then, he should get on the blower give him some of that wisdom

Why don't you give him some of your wisdom?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Hard to argue with that.

Mcginley is the worst commentator of the lot, he's the jamie redknapp of golf punditry, state the bleeding obvious !
    I wouldn't be too critical of mcilroy at this course he had two great rounds, just two very bad ones and the course made a fool of alot of great players.

Hard to argue with that.

I caught the tail end of something McGinley said, it was something to do with the wind blowing at the open in Scotland, and how will his science cope with that. something like that I'm not sure what the full thing was.

But weren't they probably all saying the same this weekend? And is Winged Foot not regarded as one of the toughest courses in the world? and he done pretty good around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

etxp wrote: »
    I caught the tail end of something McGinley said, it was something to do with the wind blowing at the open in Scotland, and how will his science cope with that. something like that I'm not sure what the full thing was.

But weren't they probably all saying the same this weekend? And is Winged Foot not regarded as one of the toughest courses in the world? and he done pretty good around there.

McGinley was referring to De Chambeau. BoardsMember was referring to McIlroy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Well holy god

McGinley was referring to De Chambeau. BoardsMember was referring to McIlroy

So who was McGinley calling a flat track bully?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

etxp wrote: »
    So who was McGinley calling a flat track bully?

Rory. You mentioned something McGinley had said about De Chambueau (Scotland, wind blowing etc etc) while you were replying to a post where McGinley was referring to McIlroy (flat track bully etc).

Just made it confusing is all...........no biggie

Rory. You mentioned something McGinley had said about De Chambueau (Scotland, wind blowing etc etc) while you were replying to a post where McGinley was referring to McIlroy (flat track bully etc).

Just made it confusing is all...........no biggie

Oops, got my wires mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Mcginley is the worst commentator of the lot, he's the jamie redknapp of golf punditry, state the bleeding obvious !
    I wouldn't be too critical of mcilroy at this course he had two great rounds, just two very bad ones and the course made a fool of alot of great players.

That's just not true. McGinley brings a fair bit of insight and data to back it up a lot of the time. If you don't like him, fair enough. But he's a decent standard of analyst/commentator.

Calling him the equivalent of vacant Jamie Redknapp is just ill informed or just demonstrates a dislike for the guy.

Why don't you give him some of your wisdom?

i don't have his number, do you?

you got anything to add

That's just not true. McGinley brings a fair bit of insight and data to back it up a lot of the time. If you don't like him, fair enough. But he's a decent standard of analyst/commentator.

Calling him the equivalent of vacant Jamie Redknapp is just ill informed or just demonstrates a dislike for the guy.

do you agree with what he said though? does it make any sense you? Which flat track courses is he referring to

its great when the birdies are on tap, only for him is it?

do you agree with what he said though? does it make any sense you? Which flat track courses is he referring to

It’s a turn of phrase, it means he is good on easier courses or comps with inferior fields.

Makes sense to me.

McGinley has issues with Rory going back to not playing in Rio and not playing Irish Open when he was the host.

It is as obvious as the day is long when he is commenting about him that he has become hyper critical in the last couple of years. It is his prerogative and he is entitled to his opinion but it has definitely taken a 180 degree turn in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

So in your opinion, neither amateur/armchair golfers or former professional golfers are allowed to have an opinion against McIlroy because they don't know what they're talking about.

Might save you a lot of wasted time arguing if you could state who is allowed to have an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Coltart also commented much more cuttingly on the broadcast that Rory should lock himself in a darkened room and scream at his misuse of his talent.

McGinley has issues with Rory going back to not playing in Rio and not playing Irish Open when he was the host.

It is as obvious as the day is long when he is commenting about him that he has become hyper critical in the last couple of years. It is his prerogative and he is entitled to his opinion but it has definitely taken a 180 degree turn in recent years.

Ya I think you are right, there does seem to be some animosity there. But at the same time, I think his commentary is more unbiased now than it used to be. To be honest, all the sky commentators are ok in small doses, the only ones I really like are radar and Rich.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement