Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MG28

Mushy wrote: »
    Great birdie putt. Jesus when he gets going it's something else

Let’s hope he can carry it on over the whole weekend! He’s in some form at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

fullstop wrote: »
    What did he say? I just heard something about Northern Ireland
    Ewan said it would be a British pair in the final group and Rich Beem said he thought Rory was from Northern Ireland. :)

And now they've come up with Albatross by Fleetwood Mac. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Two cracking rounds of golf. Just needs to finish off and get the win now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

A 65 and fair to say he left a few shots there, especially early on. A couple of good breaks too but that’s how the game goes sometimes. Just a sheer joy to watch back 9, the sparkle is there. Just needs to finish it as already been stated. Every faith here he can and will, course will be tougher but really suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MG28

A 65 and fair to say he left a few shots there, especially early on. A couple of good breaks too but that’s how the game goes sometimes. Just a sheer joy to watch back 9, the sparkle is there. Just needs to finish it as already been stated. Every faith here he can and will, course will be tougher but really suits him.

He’s playing well enough that’s for sure. Trending towards a green jacket, maybe?

• Advertisement

MG28 wrote: »
    He’s playing well enough that’s for sure. Trending towards a green jacket, maybe?
    Don't put the mockers on it. :)

Needs to finish this one out first. And it's not going to be easy with the conditions firming up. But if you've the balls to play a fade out of the pine straw with a wide open pitching wedge and water to the left, you're probably confident enough. :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Don't put the mockers on it. :)

Needs to finish this one out first. And it's not going to be easy with the conditions firming up. But if you've the balls to play a fade out of the pine straw with a wide open pitching wedge and water to the left, you're probably confident enough. :D

I know he’s rory frickin mcilroy but i was scared sh!tless watching him square up for that shot. The one time a shot would go precisely where i was aiming was when i was aiming it directly at the drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,879 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

MG28 wrote: »

Be careful saying something like this around here.

I kinda expect Fleetwood to go into rickie mode tomorrow he again looked shaky when in a winning position towards the end.

Many of the rest of the top ten aren't overly long I think they will drop away

(-16-18) wins it for me (unless sawgrass go full 2016 on the greens which im not even sure is possible at this time of year)

Nice to see Rory once again rip into the PGA tour about slow. Called it an epidemic.

• Advertisement

Nice to see Rory once again rip into the PGA tour about slow. Called it an epidemic.
    Missed that. Fair play to him. He's probably one of the players who suffers from it the most. Always standing around on tee boxes.

One thing they should do is publish the 'time in play' for each player or each group if they can't tie it down to a player. I remember Kevin Markham posted a score card here where he listed wait times on it.

Missed that. Fair play to him. He's probably one of the players who suffers from it the most. Always standing around on tee boxes.

One thing they should do is publish the 'time in play' for each player or each group if they can't tie it down to a player. I remember Kevin Markham posted a score card here where he listed wait times on it.

Crazy that they couldn’t finish play yesterday with no adverse conditions. It’s a scourge, more should call it out. As a comparison, in snooker this season they have taken to publishing average shot times for each player in an attempt to shame the slow coaches into speeding up. Not sure it’s made any difference but can’t see what harm it can do anyway, definitely worth a try.

*Correction: they did get play finished but final groups must’ve finished in the dark, sky were suggesting they’d be back again this morning.

Crazy that they couldn’t finish play yesterday with no adverse conditions. It’s a scourge, more should call it out. As a comparison, in snooker this season they have taken to publishing average shot times for each player in an attempt to shame the slow coaches into speeding up. Not sure it’s made any difference but can’t see what harm it can do anyway, definitely worth a try.

*Correction: they did get play finished but final groups must’ve finished in the dark, sky were suggesting they’d be back again this morning.

Think that happened on Thursday alright. Some groups had to come back Friday morning to finish. An absolute joke considering the two tee start and they are in daylight savings already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/rory-mcilroy-sounds-unacceptable-slow-play-players?utm-tags=golf2408000

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rory's round took 5 hours and 20 minutes. That's nuts. Apparently Tommy Fleetwood's group were put on the clock. Can't remember who he was playing with, because I would have thought Tommy was a quick player.

Edit: It was Austin Cook and Keith Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Rory's round took 5 hours and 20 minutes. That's nuts. Apparently Tommy Fleetwood's group were put on the clock. Can't remember who he was playing with, because I would have thought Tommy was a quick player.

Edit: It was Austin Cook and Keith Mitchell.

The length of a round is a joke for a 3-ball. There's no excuse. It's not like they have to spend time searching for their ball or are slower from carting their clubs around.

Is golf the only sport where the professionals are slower than amateurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Is sawgrass one of the big tournaments he hasn’t won yet? Obviously we know the masters also

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Is sawgrass one of the big tournaments he hasn’t won yet? Obviously we know the masters also
    Yeah. Best finish is T6 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

He's gearing up for a great season tbf. He's playing the best golf on tour atm.

All we want to see is him in the final group with Tiger fighting it out for a Green Jacket.
    I couldn't care less who'd win but it would be unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Disaster on 16..caught in pines, plows one out into water behind the green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Not really a disaster. He’ll have a look at birdie, probably with the putter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

tobsey wrote: »
    Not really a disaster. He’ll have a look at birdie, probably with the putter

Already took a drop so will have a putt for par.

Or maybe not!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Already took a drop so will have a putt for par.

Or maybe not!

That was a free drop because of the path

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Rory might be happy enough letting Tommy finish out first on 18 if they are both making par

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Poor decision there, should have guaranteed he was short of the water, pitching was good enough to probsbly make birdie anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,283 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

GreeBo wrote: »
    Poor decision there, should have guaranteed he was short of the water, pitching was good enough to probsbly make birdie anyway.

This is what I thought. Probably hyperbole to say disaster, but tactically it was weak. I do think that's one area Rory struggles with, let's hope it doesn't happen tonight

His drive on 18 was about 3 feet from disaster too. Was sure it was in the water when following the tracer. Ok, ended up great and got decent birdie chance but very fine line between triumph and disaster when you are being that aggressive on a course like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

when you are being that aggressive on a course like this.

One of the reasons I like watching him, really has no fear.

One of the reasons I like watching him, really has no fear.

Absolutely, it’s thrilling to watch. But was listening to a discussion on sky earlier in the week about rory on Sunday and Trevor Immelmann said he thought rory had a tendency to get too aggressive and didn’t have a plan b when he hit trouble. Or words to that effect at least. I just hope he doesn’t try to force it too much and stays patient tonight, doesn’t usually score well on front 9 here so no panic if he’s a couple behind turning for home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

One behind, second last pairing, playing very well indeed this week, has had a very good start to the season, best pedigree of the golfers at the top, has to win it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement