Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I suppose this thread will morph in to the Georgia Run-off thread.

Has anyone been keeping tabs on it?

The only thing I have seen is a PAC run by Roger Stone which was dormant recently has been started up again. They are urging Republican voters to write Trump's name on the ballot (the option is not available in Georgia) instead of the GOP candidate or else not vote at all.
    This is a strange strategy on first look as it will guarantee the Democratic candidates will win but it seems to be a way of keeping the GOP on Trump's side.
    Roger Stone has denied it but I don't believe a word out of his mouth.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roger-stone-tied-group-threatens-gop-if-trump-goes-down-so-does-your-senate-majority

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Roanmore wrote: »
    The only thing I have seen is a PAC run by Roger Stone which was dormant recently has been started up again. They are urging Republican voters to write Trump's name on the ballot (the option is not available in Georgia) instead of the GOP candidate or else not vote at all.
    This is a strange strategy on first look as it will guarantee the Democratic candidates will win but it seems to be a way of keeping the GOP on Trump's side.
    Roger Stone has denied it but I don't believe a word out of his mouth.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roger-stone-tied-group-threatens-gop-if-trump-goes-down-so-does-your-senate-majority

Ive also seen Q rallies where they are calling for a complete boycott because the GOP abandoned trump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I suppose this thread will morph in to the Georgia Run-off thread.

Has anyone been keeping tabs on it?

Apparently the two Democratic candidates and the two Republicans are both campaigning as pairs - so going to joint events. That makes sense to me for the Democrats since for them it's win both seats or bust but not as much for the Republicans since Kelly Loefller has a lot of baggage and who's whole shtick in the General Election was that she voted with Trump more than anyone else.

The consensus is that the Republicans have the advantage since they do better in run-off elections historically. However, if you drill into the reasons why that it is it is because high propensity voters are college-educated voters and they were typically Republican voters. With the great switcharoo under Trump that is no longer the case. I have a feeling that it's going to come down to the black vote in the 9 counties around Atlanta (again). If the Democrats can get them out in anything like they numbers they did 3 weeks ago then they can win this for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,204 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Apparently the two Democratic candidates and the two Republicans are both campaigning as pairs - so going to joint events. That makes sense to me for the Democrats since for them it's win both seats or bust but not as much for the Republicans since Kelly Loefller has a lot of baggage and who's whole shtick in the General Election was that she voted with Trump more than anyone else.

The consensus is that the Republicans have the advantage since they do better in run-off elections historically. However, if you drill into the reasons why that it is it is because high propensity voters are college-educated voters and they were typically Republican voters. With the great switcharoo under Trump that is no longer the case. I have a feeling that it's going to come down to the black vote in the 9 counties around Atlanta (again). If the Democrats can get them out in anything like they numbers they did 3 weeks ago then they can win this for sure.
    There has been talk of more voter purges in Georgia since the election. Have only seen a couple of references, but there's a big push on currently for people to check to see that they are still registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭8mv

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There has been talk of more voter purges in Georgia since the election. Have only seen a couple of references, but there's a big push on currently for people to check to see that they are still registered.

I'm sure Stacey Abrams will be on top of that - I recently listened to her being interviewed by Marc Maron (WTF podcast) and she's quite the impressive lady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Republicans dropped the ball for the November election by not purging enough black and democratic voters. There'll be a big push to sort that out for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,146 ✭✭✭✭Water John

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Republicans dropped the ball for the November election by not purging enough black and democratic voters. There'll be a big push to sort that out for January.

Oh they had done it two years ago, but Stacey Abrams got all those and more reregistered. They have also registered all those who have turned 18 since November, 23K.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

namloc1980 wrote: »

Apparently they've had 500k new ballots sent out

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Water John wrote: »
    Quite often VPs had no role in actual operating Govn't. Sometimes the POTUS and VP actively disliked each other and had no interaction.
    The rule is they don't travel together.

So there's one reason to make someone you dislike VP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Roanmore wrote: »
    I hadn't heard of this, but if you think about it, it is a really good strategy from Stone/Trump's point of view.

The one thing Mitch McConnell craves now is Senate control, to block Biden in the same way that he blocked Obama. This is a great threat to hang over McConnell - keep backing us, or we'll torpedo the Georgia election, and cost you Senate control.

Which proves just how much of a non-party person Trump is - he couldn't give two sh1ts about the Republicans or their agenda.

For any other candidate, this would be political suicide, but this makes it clear that the party needs Trump more than he needs them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,400 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Noticed that the odds have moved out on Biden winning the election to 1/11 on Betfair. Presumably there are people out there who think that the current delay in certifying Pennsylvania could somehow lead to postal ballots being thrown out. The whole thing just seems incongruent with reality at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Noticed that the odds have moved out on Biden winning the election to 1/11 on Betfair. Presumably there are people out there who think that the current delay in certifying Pennsylvania could somehow lead to postal ballots being thrown out. The whole thing just seems incongruent with reality at this stage.

I reckon the fact that Sidney Powell's promised legal action materialised in filings, published today in respect of both Georgia and Michigan, that will be lodged in Courts tomorrow, is having an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's just reflecting the manner of the beds placed, not other events

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I reckon the fact that Sidney Powell's promised legal action materialised in filings, published today in respect of both Georgia and Michigan, that will be lodged in Courts tomorrow, is having an effect.

Doubtful, if you read them they are just more conspiracy nonsense that she has no chance of proving in court because shes made it all up

VinLieger wrote: »
    Doubtful, if you read them they are just more conspiracy nonsense that she has no chance of proving in court because shes made it all up

I have read (most of) them. And, yes I agree they're a re-hash of all the Golden Oldies from Q-Anon courtesy of 8kun and OANN, particularly the Georgia one. Whats particularly interesting there is the extent to which the cult has turned on Kemp and Raffensperger.

Michigan is less about Dominion(although it figures) and more about allegations of process violations and fraud, which are almost entirely based on feelings, so-called statistical analysis and not a shred of provable evidence.

It's basically 8kun and Parler posts badly re-presented for a Court, which will, based on experiences to date, give Sidney and her gang enough rope to hang themselves.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I have read (most of) them. And, yes I agree they're a re-hash of all the Golden Oldies from Q-Anon courtesy of 8kun and OANN, particularly the Georgia one. Whats particularly interesting there is the extent to which the cult has turned on Kemp and Raffensperger.

Michigan is less about Dominion(although it figures) and more about allegations of process violations and fraud, which are almost entirely based on feelings, so-called statistical analysis and not a shred of provable evidence.

It's basically 8kun and Parler posts badly re-presented for a Court, which will, based on experiences to date, give Sidney and her gang enough rope to hang themselves.

I cannot wait to read the transcripts of her presenting this nonsense to a judge

I cannot wait to read the transcripts of her presenting this nonsense to a judge

I hope they get to be heard in some detail, (especially in GA), so that we can get to hear/see cross-examination of some of their so-called expert witnesses under oath, such as OKeeffe, Ron Watkins (8kun) and someone from Dominion to sort out the Smartmatic ****e once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I don't think the judge will be impressed before she says anything if this is anything to go by

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1331846950350622720

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    I don't think the judge will be impressed before she says anything if this is anything to go by

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1331846950350622720
    This is from the Michigan filing. If I was the judge I'd be considering just throwing it out on general principles. Seems like the space bar was trying to get away from this one and almost succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

This is from the Michigan filing. If I was the judge I'd be considering just throwing it out on general principles. Seems like the space bar was trying to get away from this one and almost succeeded.

Mother of Jesus what is their game play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

What.Now wrote: »
    Mother of Jesus what is their game play?
    Grifting as long as those emails are bringing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

dinorebel wrote: »

I guess, but it's actually destroying society.

dinorebel wrote: »
    But this is from Sidney Powell who's not acting for Trump. They've actually distanced themselves from her (and you can see why) so she's not going to be getting any of the money from the PAC. So this is off her own bat (as in many bats in the belfry) but probably got funding from somewhere because altruism only goes so far with these nutters. This chap actually went through the entire thing while cooking his thanksgiving turkey and it's a wild ride. I'm patching you in some twenty tweets into the thread, but it's well worth a read if you've half an hour or so to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭dogbert27

But this is from Sidney Powell who's not acting for Trump. They've actually distanced themselves from her (and you can see why) so she's not going to be getting any of the money from the PAC. So this is off her own bat (as in many bats in the belfry) but probably got funding from somewhere because altruism only goes so far with these nutters. This chap actually went through the entire thing while cooking his thanksgiving turkey and it's a wild ride. I'm patching you in some twenty tweets into the thread, but it's well worth a read if you've half an hour or so to spend.

She filed some IRS application form that lets her receive donations

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Some of the stuff in that thread is just mental..

The level of errors and sheer stupidity in the court documents are off the charts.

If a 14 year old submitted something with that many errors they'd be in detention for a month.

The call back to the "Birther" movement in the thread is interesting.

These claims of "Fraud" are very similar.

Continuous claims of "huge evidence" to prove Fraud/Obama isn't American but nothing ever comes out.

How many times did Trump talk about "His Investigators finding incredible things in Hawaii" and that he'd be making them public very soon (possibly even in 2 weeks!) ??

It's exactly the same playbook here.

Beyond pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Quin_Dub wrote: »

The level of errors and sheer stupidity in the court documents are off the charts.

If a 14 year old submitted something with that many errors they'd be in detention for a month.

Continuous claims of "huge evidence" to prove Fraud/Obama isn't American but nothing ever comes out.

How many times did Trump talk about "His Investigators finding incredible things in Hawaii" and that he'd be making them public very soon (possibly even in 2 weeks!) ??

Beyond pathetic.

2 weeks seems to be the time that it takes for another **** storm to come along and all is forgotton, he seemed to get through every **** storm by saying all will be revealed in 2 weeks!

Beyond pathetic.
    By rights there should be professional consequences for that filing. Really depends on the judge, but if it was me, that would be in the bin after the first few pages and there'd be a list made up to go to the respective bars. Interesting that the lawyer of record for Michigan has previous. Fairly nasty previous by the look of things. But then again, you'd have to be at the bottom of the barrel before you'd get anyone to sign their name to it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

By rights there should be professional consequences for that filing. Really depends on the judge, but if it was me, that would be in the bin after the first few pages and there'd be a list made up to go to the respective bars. Interesting that the lawyer of record for Michigan has previous. Fairly nasty previous by the look of things. But then again, you'd have to be at the bottom of the barrel before you'd get anyone to sign their name to it.

Totally agree , at the very least it would fall under "Wasting the courts time".

You'd wonder if it's part of the actual plan?

Submit a filing so appalling that the Judge summarily rejects it for failing to meet basic standards and then miss the deadline to get it back in prior to the EC Vote.

Then you get to claim that you *had* all this amazing evidence but that the Deep State denied you your day in court.

I mean what would they do if they actually get to present this *Evidence* in court and it just gets shredded ??

Totally agree , at the very least it would fall under "Wasting the courts time".

You'd wonder if it's part of the actual plan?

Submit a filing so appalling that the Judge summarily rejects it for failing to meet basic standards and then miss the deadline to get it back in prior to the EC Vote.

Then you get to claim that you *had* all this amazing evidence but that the Deep State denied you your day in court.

I mean what would they do if they actually get to present this *Evidence* in court and it just gets shredded ??
    Yeah, I think that fall back 'defence' would be used at any stage in proceedings. I doubt very much if this is the strategy though. Sidney Powell is completely off the reservation. It's the QAnon smorgasbord of the loopiest conspiracy theories on the election.

But there will be some consequences. I imagine that Dominion systems are currently making a list of all the people who have libelled them and their software/machines, a lot of whom would be people of some means. And then you have all the various state electoral officials who have been named and accused of malpractice.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think that fall back 'defence' would be used at any stage in proceedings. I doubt very much if this is the strategy though. Sidney Powell is completely off the reservation. It's the QAnon smorgasbord of the loopiest conspiracy theories on the election.

But there will be some consequences. I imagine that Dominion systems are currently making a list of all the people who have libelled them and their software/machines, a lot of whom would be people of some means. And then you have all the various state electoral officials who have been named and accused of malpractice.

She's accused Kemp and Raffensperger of accepting bribes.

Given how vocal Raffensperger has been is pushing back on all the crap he's been getting I'd fully expect him to go after her at least.

Advertisement