Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

when all is said and done it's been an appropriate ending to an inglorious Presidency

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sparko

I fully expect Trump to hold a rally on Inauguration Day instead of attending the inauguration, crammed with his supporters, no distancing or masks.

I expect the inauguration will be smaller than usual due to the new administration taking social gathering guidelines more seriously.

And then Trump will make many references to how his crowd at his rally was so much bigger than the attendance at the inauguration. That's my prediction for how January 20th will go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Sparko wrote: »
    I fully expect Trump to hold a rally on Inauguration Day instead of attending the inauguration, crammed with his supporters, no distancing or masks.

I expect the inauguration will be smaller than usual due to the new administration taking social gathering guidelines more seriously.

And then Trump will make many references to how his crowd at his rally was so much bigger than the attendance at the inauguration. That's my prediction for how January 20th will go down.

Jeez, Sparko! You're after giving him ideas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Sparko wrote: »

This is a pretty good shout. The only worry for him would be - would anyone actually cover it if it clashed with Biden's inauguration? If he took the chance to go up against it directly it would be very easy for the execs at the major networks* to draw a line under him and start their new policy of just not covering his rallies anymore.

The only fate worse for Trump than someone else getting the limelight would be for someone else to get the limelight while at the same time he is actively being ignored.

*NewsMax and OANN are not major networks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Would Trump be the first president not to invite the new president elect to the White House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Would Trump be the first president not to invite the new president elect to the White House?

Do presidents who died in office count?

A reasonable suspicion that someone else took his phone and conceded the election against his wishes?

More conspiracy theory than reasonable

Well we did have posts from trump supporters on here claiming before this that he doesn't write any of his tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Count what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Well we did have this posts from trump supporters on here claiming before this that he doesn't write any of his tweets.

He does or else he dictates them. As per one of his ex staffers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Well we did have this posts from trump supporters on here claiming before this that he doesn't write any of his tweets.

Did he then instruct the spelling mistakes to ensure his secret message is intact and being conveyed correctly to his special friend followers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I assume that the VP would have visited the White House at some point in each case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Quite often VPs had no role in actual operating Govn't. Sometimes the POTUS and VP actively disliked each other and had no interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

dogbert27 wrote: »

Biden team should refuse to attend anyway pending a full coronavirus deep-clean of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Biden wouldn't need to do a White House visit anyway, he already worked there for 8 years. If I were them, I wouldn't bother forcing that issue, it'll just get Trump in a big huff again. Focusing on the actual political transition is far more important.

I've also said before that I can't see Biden wanting to have any kind of major inauguration given the pandemic, but with Trump's big baby act over the last month, it might almost be necessary to really cement the handover in some people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Biden just passed 80m total popular votes.

Whatever opportunity Trump had to claim to be in the "elite" camp of candidates who first exceeded 70m votes, has been taken away by Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

robinph wrote: »
    Nobody has claimed that someone else has taken to making decisions on Trumps behalf by stealing his phone. But Trumps concession most likely just amounted to him being told it's over, him going "hrumph, OK then, you tweet it" then slamming the door and throwing the phone on the floor on the way out the room.

Trump didn't compose the Tweet, but despite him having to be told to make the decision he still had to agree to it even if there was some significant arm twisting going on in the process.

It seemed to me more like the standard Trump team tactic of claiming they told someone to make a decision that he had no real power over. They've been at it for the last 6 years.

Once the GSA made the decision he was basically powerless to go against it because it was set in motion. He could rage and fire her but I dont think that would have stopped the transition so it is easier to say 'I told her to do it' and still claim it as he was in control. Right wing social media has clung onto that claiming 'it is all part of the plan'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

PA just certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

VinLieger wrote: »
    He may have approved the tweets but theres no way he wrote them.

Yeap I agree, the construction and grammar used is well beyond his abilities, that is very obvious. In addition there is a lack of superfluous adjectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

He does or else he dictates them. As per one of his ex staffers

He did not dictate those, he is not capable of such clarity. I do not doubt he told someone to write something and nodded approval when the text written by someone else was read to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

paul71 wrote: »
    He did not dictate those, he is not capable of such clarity. I do not doubt he told someone to write something and nodded approval when the text written by someone else was read to him.
    I imagine there's a person or even a team that tweets out regularly from the account. I don't follow him, but I've seen a few tweets that don't have the same level of... excitement? about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

An embarrassing end to an embarrassing presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

my god he's still not conceding. jesus.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

froog wrote: »
    my god he's still not conceding. jesus.

He can't just yet.

If he concedes he has to shutter his PAC - So no more money coming in.

Not sure if he can "officially" declare for 2024 until after Inauguration day so he needs to keep the current "Save America PAC" or whatever it's called going for as long as possible before he can roll it over into his "2024" PAC.

It's all about the money.

He always planned on challenging the results , he's telegraphed that for months now , but he didn't expect to have to try and flip 3 or 4 States , I think he thought that it would all come down to either PA or Florida.

Given how utterly craven the GOP have been , if it had been just the one State he would have gotten away with it.

But , once it became multiple States, it has always been about the money and building a brand to keep that money flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He can't just yet.

Not sure if he can "officially" declare for 2024 until after Inauguration day so he needs to keep the current "Save America PAC" or whatever it's called going for as long as possible before he can roll it over into his "2024" PAC.

He always planned on challenging the results , he's telegraphed that for months now , but he didn't expect to have to try and flip 3 or 4 States , I think he thought that it would all come down to either PA or Florida.

Given how utterly craven the GOP have been , if it had been just the one State he would have gotten away with it.

But , once it became multiple States, it has always been about the money and building a brand to keep that money flowing.

I was suprised at his conceding the transition access. My feeling is he has leveraged this for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭moon2

demfad wrote: »
    I was suprised at his conceding the transition access. My feeling is he has leveraged this for something.

I'd like to believe that the inexorable march of time, and the law, are what forced this to occur. Trump has no legal basis for his claims (by virtue of the cases being thrown out due to lack of any corroborating evidence), and so the legal process is continuing to plod along.

The most recent event is that the GSA have recognized biden as the winner, and so regardless of trump's desires the team have legal access to the transition fund.

Trump didn't concede anything as he had no authority over it in the first place. He has pretended to concede the thing he had no authority over in an effort to save face. That may work amongst his supporters, who have been continuing to throw cash at him so he can pay down his debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

demfad wrote: »

I'm not sure he did concede it tbf. The GSA head was asked to attend congressional oversight committees yesterday - didn't show - and apparently received some sharp letters demanding she provide an account of her continued refusal to allow the transition to commence. My guess is she informed Trump that on that basis she had done all the holding out she was going to do.

Apparently in Maine just its military & overseas ballots breakdown was

Biden 4,599 (80%)
    Trump 838 (15%)

The military vote especially officers usually swings heavily republican, so would be interesting to see how their votes went in other states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

paul71 wrote: »

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I suppose this thread will morph in to the Georgia Run-off thread.

Has anyone been keeping tabs on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He can't just yet.

In the small print of the emails it says Trump and the family can use the money for personal salaries.

No shame.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8982595/Donald-Trump-family-salary-donations-court-battles-small-print-reveals.html

Advertisement