Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's just brazen stuff in these court filings in PA. 'We only want to pick through 1.5 million votes and decide which ones to take off Biden's total'.

It's the fact that they are only interested in invalid votes that are for Biden.

Are we to assume that if they find any invalid votes for Trump among this pile they'll ignore them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

So the transition has formally begun , trump on Twitter giving Emily Murphy the go ahead and to do what she needs to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Is this the closest we're gonna get to a Concession?

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) tweeted at 11:16 pm on Mon, Nov 23, 2020:
    I want to thank Emily Murphy at GSA for her steadfast dedication and loyalty to our Country. She has been harassed, threatened, and abused – and I do not want to see this happen to her, her family, or employees of GSA. Our case STRONGLY continues, we will keep up the good...
    (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1331013907859845121?s=02)

...fight, and I believe we will prevail! Nevertheless, in the best interest of our Country, I am recommending that Emily and her team do what needs to be done with regard to initial protocols, and have told my team to do the same.
    (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1331013908971261953?s=02)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The transfer begins. Sounds like a roundabout way of conceding. About bloody time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just seem trumps tweet along with the letter earlier. That’s a good as joe Biden and Kamala Harris will get in the ways of trump conceding so I’d take it and run with it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He'll keep faffing about with the recounts and the PA court case so he can keep his PAC/Personal Piggy bank open a bit longer and then when he is forced to close it after the EC vote he'll make hsi big announcement for his 2024 campaign , allowing him to open a new PAC and keep the donations rolling in.

Him announcing plans for 2024 is the closest anyone will see to an official concession.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It’s ****ing over! Finally, Election Day has ended.

Trump will now continue to disappear from public view (save for maybe the turkey pardon thing tomorrow) and play golf. He does not give a **** about being President beyond the ego trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's the fact that they are only interested in invalid votes that are for Biden.

Are we to assume that if they find any invalid votes for Trump among this pile they'll ignore them ??

Oh I would imagine they would trot out some kind of "well the errors in this ballot clearly are due to the fervent passion for elections this person displayed as the filled it in so it should count for.....like.....10 votes now!"

Even then its brazen as hell what they were advocating, did they give a list of what "errors" they were going to invalidate by? I can only imagine it would be the most pathetically pedantic list of errors ever:

"Eh...this person marked this box with an X but one line is longer than the other so technically it doesnt look like the X the ballot asked for...gone!"
    "This signature....the pen didnt touch the paper for 3 mm here so this gap means the signature doesnt FULLY match the recorded one...gone!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Is this the closest we're gonna get to a Concession?

I want to thank Emily Murphy at GSA for her steadfast dedication and loyalty to our Country. She has been harassed, threatened, and abused – and I do not want to see this happen to her, her family, or employees of GSA. Our case STRONGLY continues, we will keep up the good...
    (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1331013907859845121?s=02)

...fight, and I believe we will prevail! Nevertheless, in the best interest of our Country, I am recommending that Emily and her team do what needs to be done with regard to initial protocols, and have told my team to do the same.
    (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1331013908971261953?s=02)

No chance Trump wrote those tweets. It looks like the adults have finally told the baby that play time is over and that it's someone elses turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

According to CNN Giuliano admits he's "Exaggerating a bit" as he spouts baseless voter fraud claims.

Another one about to bite the dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

namloc1980 wrote: »
    No chance Trump wrote those tweets. It looks like the adults have finally told the baby that play time is over and that it's someone elses turn.

You hardly believe someone just took his phone from him and basically decided to make the decision to concede on his behalf.
    Fr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

And why couldn't he have said that 2 weeks ago? Such a f*cking joke.

namloc1980 wrote: »

I reckon that many of Donald's tweets over the past few weeks have been written by an aide. Like, he used the word 'egregious' recently! No way is that in his vocabulary!

I suspect that he is actually in a state of deep depression and despair. Post-Covid, steroid withdrawal, a massive personal election loss, etc. all must have blown up his psyche! All that, coupled with the realisation that 2021 is gonna be a legal nightmare for him and his, and he's gonna have to return to life as a former POTUS must be excrutiating for a narcissist like him.

You hardly believe someone just took his phone from him and basically decided to make the decision to concede on his behalf.
    Fr

Yeah, Jarvanka!

Edit: the message has gone out. Laura Ingraham finally acknowledged a Biden/Harris Presidency on her programme last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Fr

He may have approved the tweets but theres no way he wrote them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Fr

The lack of shouting and nobody getting insulted means it obviously wasn't Trumps thumbs that Tweet emerged from.

robinph wrote: »
    The lack of shouting and nobody getting insulted means it obviously wasn't Trumps thumbs that Tweet emerged from.

The content of the tweet. Not the words.
    Sigh

The content of the tweet. Not the words.
    Sigh

Well it's pretty telling when somebody else is tweeting from his account so it's a reasonable suspicion.

Well it's pretty telling when somebody else is tweeting from his account so it's a reasonable suspicion.

A reasonable suspicion that someone else took his phone and conceded the election against his wishes?

More conspiracy theory than reasonable

• Advertisement

A reasonable suspicion that someone else took his phone and conceded the election against his wishes?

How did your head turn "on his behalf" (your words) into "against his wishes" (your words)?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭moon2

Did anyone make the claim that someone forfeited the election without trump's permission/knoeledge?

It sounded to me like the claim was Trump didn't write those tweets, which is a fairly safe claim to make. The tweets are completely out of character for Trump in terms of writing style. His are never that eloquent.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    How did your head turn "on his behalf" (your words) into "against his wishes" (your words)?

The poster I replied to reckons "It looks like the adults have finally told the baby that play time is over and that it's someone elses turn." Ie someone took his phone and decided to concede the election against his wishes.

Complete tripe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Trump doesn't get to decide who won the election.

He does have a choice to concede or not, admittedly, but even then there comes a point where despite being the president and in charge of everything someone with a greater grip on reality will come along and tell you that it's over.
    He can't change the fact that he lost, others can now tell him that he's more damaging to their future and the countries future if he doesn't step aside though.

moon2 wrote: »
    Did anyone make the claim that someone forfeited the election without trump's permission/knoeledge?

Yes they did. The original post I replied to. The reason I replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭moon2

The poster I replied to reckons "It looks like the adults have finally told the baby that play time is over and that it's someone elses turn." Ie someone took his phone and decided to concede the election against his wishes.

Complete tripe

That interpretation is complete tripe alright :) What it's actually saying is that Trump has finally been convinced it's time to concede. So he did. And someone else wrote the tweet because he couldn't/wouldn't.

Yes they did. The original post I replied to. The reason I replied.

Nobody has claimed that someone else has taken to making decisions on Trumps behalf by stealing his phone. But Trumps concession most likely just amounted to him being told it's over, him going "hrumph, OK then, you tweet it" then slamming the door and throwing the phone on the floor on the way out the room.

Trump didn't compose the Tweet, but despite him having to be told to make the decision he still had to agree to it even if there was some significant arm twisting going on in the process.

Nobody has claimed that someone else has taken to making decisions on Trumps behalf by stealing his phone. But Trumps concession most likely just amounted to him being told it's over, him going "hrumph, OK then, you tweet it" then slamming the door and throwing the phone on the floor on the way out the room.

Trump didn't compose the Tweet, but despite him having to be told to make the decision he still had to agree to it even if there was some significant arm twisting going on in the process.

That about sums it up in my mind.

Anyhoo, a brand new day and getting so much closer to some civility and normality in the world of politics. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds about right IMO. Then he never has to personally acknowledge that he conceded and his cognitive dissonance can persist.

The speculation that at some point Trump will retreat to Mar a Lago and just not come back, is seeming more and more likely at this point. Biden will be the de facto President, and Pence will just sign off on things where legality requires it.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    The speculation that at some point Trump will retreat to Mar a Lago and just not come back, is seeming more and more likely at this point. Biden will be the de facto President, and Pence will just sign off on things where legality requires it.

Nothing yet on what the inauguration will look like due to Covid-19, but despite being massively scaled back you'd normally still expect there to be both outgoing and incoming president there to shake hands and do a few photos. Pence would obviously turn up because he can behave like an adult, but that's going to look bad for the country/ party if Trump doesn't show up and Pence is there. Do they drag Trump along and see if he can pull worse faces than Melania did at his inauguration, or leave him playing golf in Florida and scale down the ceremony even more under the useful excuse of Covid19 and not have anyone there other than Biden, Harris and a lawyer holding a bible for them to swear on?

No need to hold the big gathering for an inugration.

Advertisement