Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

pjohnson wrote: »
    Did Kimi not almost bankrupt Lotus due to a performance clause in his deal :pac:

That's why the drivers salary comes from the prize pool and not the teams directly. Distributes the cost a bit more evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Cool_CM wrote: »
    This just popped up on my feed, gutted that I didn't see it sooner to send it on to some of of my friends that teach in secondary schools.

https://www.f1inschools.ie/

It's pretty cool that this exists!

That's been around over 20 years, I remember doing it in our school back in 08.

If you're looking for a really cool schools initiative have a look at this, proper cool stuff: https://www.greenpower.co.uk/

Unfortunately F1 in schools is too much like normal F1: money money money....

In the kit you get a piece of balsa wood, 2 axles 2 plastic straws for the axle to spin in and 4 plastic wheels. No rules saying that the school has to use what's in the kit though.

First year we though we were doing great, until we turned up to the competition.... Our 2.5k sponsorship was nothing, the team that won was title sponsored by Koni and had flown the team to their UK base to help develop their feckin piece of wood! We were up against schools who had their own CNC equipment making dozens of prototypes, schools making complex adjustable wings from composites, buying all sorts of bearings, some even used ceramics, full on spray jobs done by professional airbrushers, 3d printing (insane at the time) or CNCing new low friction wheels etc....

I was mad into it so got on the team again, we got about 10k in sponsorship, spent a load on our display etc, went for an out there design and ended up 2nd, the team that 1 had spent what would be are total budget just on custom bearings and wheels.

My school won a year or 2 after i left, turned out one of the dad's of the lads on the team was high up in one of the big pharma companies and the team had gotten 25k from them alone... Think they had to raise something like 50k more to go to the world finals.

Fantastic idea but in reality the costs are astronomical and it turns the students off the whole idea. Should absolutely be a case of "if it's not in the kit you can't use it" like the US pinewood derbys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

guyfo wrote: »
    Fantastic idea but in reality the costs are astronomical and it turns the students off the whole idea. Should absolutely be a case of "if it's not in the kit you can't use it" like the US pinewood derbys.

That's how the real F1 should do it - the teams all get a box with the bits in it and they have to make it themselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

GarIT wrote: »
    Ban teams paying drivers. Ban teams contracting drivers. Drivers get paid from the teams prize pool at a base salary of £1m +£100,000 per point for their first 100 points and £50,000 per point after that.

Drivers are picked by teams on a draft system at the start of each year. Teams pick drivers in order of last year's constructors championship and each team gets to pick their 2nd driver when the team 3 below them has picked their first. Then at the end each team pick and official reserve driver who must be under 25 and must get at least 1/4 of the FP1s.

Those draft systems always seem complicated in the abstract but they’re never as hard to work out when they actually happen. I think that would be class.

It would change the way drivers are developed as red bull wouldn’t bother developing drivers if they can’t use them. But that’s just a change, not a huge problem.

Seeing crap drivers in good cars and good drivers in crap cars, would certainly spice up the grid. No loyalty between teams and drivers (so no no.2 drivers taking one for the team to get a contract extension).

Yeah but then Mercedes gets an extra $60m a year and that won’t make the show any better the next year when they use that money to grow the performance gap and win even more races.

I don’t know about your financial situation but I can tell you $5m is not a relatable sum of money to me. It’s Disney Dollars to me. Might as well be $10m or $1m.

Who should pay the money (track, sponsors, FIA, the few oil wealthy countries left hosting races when the cost shoots up by $5m per race)?

And they said reverse grids were a gimmick. More money in f1 is not the solution particularly when there’s a global recession on the way and they are struggling to introduce a budget cap.
    Well I meant have it per-race rather than the disbursement at the end of the season based on performance. So the winning team as it stands already get more prize money. Having it per-race would add a bit of immediacy (thought I'd made that clear) to the rewards. In fact $5 million per race is probably on the low side considering how much money is floating around.
    It's actually a perfect example this season, Alpha Tauri won a race but they're going to finish in the same position in the final standings as if they'd DNFed at Monza. So the only reward for winning the race was the publicity at the time. A $5/10million purse for a minnow team would've made the win be and seem way more important and the fact of a small team get a big money boost would only add to it.

GarIT wrote: »
    Ban teams paying drivers. Ban teams contracting drivers. Drivers get paid from the teams prize pool at a base salary of £1m +£100,000 per point for their first 100 points and £50,000 per point after that.

Drivers are picked by teams on a draft system at the start of each year. Teams pick drivers in order of last year's constructors championship and each team gets to pick their 2nd driver when the team 3 below them has picked their first. Then at the end each team pick and official reserve driver who must be under 25 and must get at least 1/4 of the FP1s.
    Nah.

• Advertisement

Well I meant have it per-race rather than the disbursement at the end of the season based on performance. So the winning team as it stands already get more prize money. Having it per-race would add a bit of immediacy (thought I'd made that clear) to the rewards. In fact $5 million per race is probably on the low side considering how much money is floating around.
    It's actually a perfect example this season, Alpha Tauri won a race but they're going to finish in the same position in the final standings as if they'd DNFed at Monza. So the only reward for winning the race was the publictity at the time. A $5/10million purse for a minnow team would've made the win be and seem way more important and the fact of a small team get a big money boost would only add to it.

So you're suggesting a better way to distribute the prize fund after each race based on finishing position instead of championship order at the end of the ear? Surely that could achieved in a better way than dishing out money for race wins. They could award money evenly and allow the better teams to use their better performance to get more exposure and attract more sponsors. AT won that race mostly based on luck, not because they were the best that weekend (they got into the pitlane before it was closed and Hamilton got a penalty). I've certainly never seen a set of circumstances like it.

So you're suggesting a better way to distribute the prize fund after each race based on finishing position instead of championship order at the end of the ear?
    Yes. That is what I'm suggesting.
    Surely that could achieved in a better way than dishing out money for race wins. They could award money evenly and allow the better teams to use their better performance to get more exposure and attract more sponsors. AT won that race mostly based on luck, not because they were the best that weekend (they got into the pitlane before it was closed and Hamilton got a penalty). I've certainly never seen a set of circumstances like it.
    It's already dished out based on finishing position for the season. I'm not suggesting a massive overhaul of how much money teams will actually get, it's still going to be rare wins for smaller teams. The point is to have a win have the added "benefit" of a measurable, clear reward rather than just a win. It could stand out more. What benefit did the win ultimately have to Alpha Tauri?

How well it would work with the current formula is unknown but you only have to go back to 2009 to see where a team almost fluked a win through their design choices, Force India in Spa. I reckon Fisichella would have won pretty handily in Italy had he not jumped into the Ferrari seat. Teams who aren't going to win the title could have programmes for certain circuits or circuit types. And yeah they caught a lucky break at Monza this year but we could see more people taking chances in some races.

Yes. That is what I'm suggesting.

It's already dished out based on finishing position for the season. I'm not suggesting a massive overhaul of how much money teams will actually get, it's still going to be rare wins for smaller teams. The point is to have a win have the added "benefit" of a measurable, clear reward rather than just a win. It could stand out more. What benefit did the win ultimately have to Alpha Tauri?

How well it would work with the current formula is unknown but you only have to go back to 2009 to see where a team almost fluked a win through their design choices, Force India in Spa. I reckon Fisichella would have won pretty handily in Italy had he not jumped into the Ferrari seat. Teams who aren't going to win the title could have programmes for certain circuits or circuit types. And yeah they caught a lucky break at Monza this year but we could see more people taking chances in some races.

Fair enough. I don’t see that as one of the top problems with f1 at the moment.

Fair enough. I don’t see that as one of the top problems with f1 at the moment.

That's a fun quote to throw around.

That's a fun quote to throw around.

Ok

I think they could redistribute the money to encourage competition and make f1 more interesting. But it would probably involve flattening the prize fund (which I think they’re doing to a limited extent) and the way they’re giving more resources, like wind tunnel time, to teams lower down the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Cool_CM wrote: »
    This just popped up on my feed, gutted that I didn't see it sooner to send it on to some of of my friends that teach in secondary schools.

https://www.f1inschools.ie/

It's pretty cool that this exists!

It started in 2004, and Irish school team actually won in 2009. I remember when I was in school, myself and a few friends asked one of our teachers from technical drawing if we could enter.

We applied with him as a sponsor and waited for the kit. Never heard anything from it, asked him and he said he didn't receive anything of the likes. Eventually deadline passed and we were disappointed we never got the shot.

I remember when I was leaving school, myself and a friend during the end went into his back office to take our drawing boards home with us since we had to buy our own (or rather parents did). Wouldn't you know we discovered a dusty box from the F1 in Schools sitting at the very top of the shelf with all the required items.

Not sure if he just didn't know it was there, forgot, or wasn't bothered but it was a pretty crappy feeling finding it. I would love to have gotten involved with it.

Highly recommend mentioning it to anybody who has a kid that is big into F1, or a CAD teacher who would have an interest.

Ok

I think they could redistribute the money to encourage competition and make f1 more interesting. But it would probably involve flattening the prize fund (which I think they’re doing to a limited extent) and the way they’re giving more resources, like wind tunnel time, to teams lower down the championship.

As far as I remember most of the total fund will be evenly distributed and the rest will be on a sliding scale. I just think they could achieve the same thing while making each individual race worth more. Each race is just the same right now

This has been pestering my feed for a while and it's a bit of fun. I remember the build-up with Simon Taylor and Tony Jardine messing with the baseball caps.
    The actual chemistry between Murray and Brundle is brilliant. Murray has none of Crofty's self-aware cynicism (that he doesn't realise he has) or bro-ness while Brundle is happy to speak his mind, even if you could argue his dislike of Schumacher is a bit too obvious. :pac:

EDIT: Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :pac: Can't help but think now that had Schumacher kept left then Villeneuve would have run on straight. Was there ever a suggestion for Schumacher's awful pace after the last stop? I'm sure I remember hearing/reading something about tyres but can't find much.

This article suggests Ferrari is willing to back the engine freeze from 2022 in exchange for new engine formula being brought forward from 2026 to 2025.

Horner also suggesting the freeze should be flexible to allow some teams to catch up if they balls it up.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/59665/ferrari-perform-power-unit-u-turn-to-help-red-bull/

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

I fully understand the bias, but christ sky and brundle are very hard to watch with the Lewis love in. To quote , how has it taken this long for Lewis to be given a knighthood, given the challenges he has over come and how he has risen above adversities. It just becomes tiring to where I can't watch build up any longer

Santan wrote: »
    I fully understand the bias, but christ sky and brundle are very hard to watch with the Lewis love in. To quote , how has it taken this long for Lewis to be given a knighthood, given the challenges he has over come and how he has risen above adversities. It just becomes tiring to where I can't watch build up any longer

BBC is similar. Every week they have a whole bit of the show dedicated to the question “is Lewis the GOAT?” And funny enough, every single week they conclude it’s hard to compare drivers across eras but he’s definitely the GOAT.

Also, the reason ors taken him so long is partly because of his tax affairs which have taken years to clear up. Can’t have a knight of the realm who might have cheated Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

As were reminded, he was a poor kid from a council estate, grew up in a council house so what did the government ever do for him? Can’t expect him to pay back to the government since they did nothing for him (except give him a house to live in).

But he’s not broken any laws so now he can get a knighthood which is fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Santan wrote: »

His son Alex is as bad with Ticktum in GP2.
    Mother of divine, he is every bit as bad.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

vectra wrote: »
    His son Alex is as bad with Ticktum in GP2.
    Mother of divine, he is every bit as bad.:o

Yeah fully agree, I enjoy listening to him sometimes as he just sounds so much like his father it can be funny, but after 10 mins or so I feel the same way about him. Jesus they must pay rent to live in these guys ass. I know that if it was an Irish driver we would listen to the same from our guys, I think it's that I just can't stomach Lewis and his " the world is out to stop me" attitude, how will I over come the odds in this car that is almost a second a lap quicker than the next team, give me a break. Maybe im just a grumpy fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I don't get the past eulogising of Tictum from elements of the British media. I don't rate him at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I don't get the past eulogising of Tictum from elements of the British media. I don't rate him at all

He has the attitude of Verstappen without the talent to back it up.

BBC wondering aloud if there’s any real reason to think RB will not resign Albon? They have never gone outside the RB family for a a driver. And all the talk about hiring Perez is coming from Perez and the media, not from RB. Marko said only once once that they might consider a driver from outside the RB family but that’s all there’s been from RB. The rest is all speculation fuelled by Perez.

Maybe RB don’t think Perez would me much closer to Max than Albon is. They’re really likely to be second in the championship next year regardless of who is in the second seat. And taking an external driver is an acknowledgment of failure of the driver programme.

I think we’d all like to see Perez in a RB but it might not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Webber in 2007 and Coulthard in their debut season of 2005 were outside their stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

BBC wondering aloud if there’s any real reason to think RB will not resign Albon? They have never gone outside the RB family for a a driver. And all the talk about hiring Perez is coming from Perez and the media, not from RB. Marko said only once once that they might consider a driver from outside the RB family but that’s all there’s been from RB. The rest is all speculation fuelled by Perez.

Maybe RB don’t think Perez would me much closer to Max than Albon is. They’re really likely to be second in the championship next year regardless of who is in the second seat. And taking an external driver is an acknowledgment of failure of the driver programme.

Perez seems just not the right fit for Red Bull. I think they will keep Albon. They clearly believe he has the ability but has yet to display the tough mentality and composure that Verstappen has in abundance. Another season would prove conclusively whether he has what it takes or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Horner was quoted a few races back as saying they have assessed Hulk and Perez as options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Jesus christ lads he's lucky to come out of that with his life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

We forget that motorsports is very dangerous, we forget the huge safety improvements over the decades. A few years ago we would have lost a driver today.

Today the Halo saved Romain Grosjeans live.

Lessons will be learned from this accident ,the gods smiled down on F1 today.

Very lucky man, but the way he cut in was crazy in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

How he survived that I'll never no

naughto wrote: »
    How he survived that I'll never no

Halo saved him I'd say, but very impressive how he got out so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ikozma wrote: »
    Halo saved him I'd say, but very impressive how he got out so quick

From the time the car ignites roughly 27 seconds passes before his feet touch the ground.

That's insane. Sitting in a raging fuel fire for 27 seconds.

I dont think he will mentally be able to race again after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Just incredible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement